+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing Education

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,696 times in 822 posts

Default Changing Education

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

This animate was adapted from a talk given at the RSA by Sir Ken Robinson, world-renowned education and creativity expert and recipient of the RSA's Benjamin Franklin award.
    For more information on Sir Ken's work visit: http://www.sirkenrobinson.com

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to <8> For This Post:

Carmen (17th September 2011), confident824 (17th September 2011), crosby (24th September 2011), Marianne (17th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011), YUPANQUI PUMA (24th September 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    New Zealand Avalon Member Carmen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,527 times in 1,560 posts

Default Re: Changing Education

Thats absolutely brilliant and TRUE!!!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carmen For This Post:

<8> (17th September 2011), crosby (24th September 2011), Marianne (17th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Moderator Marianne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,392 times in 2,258 posts

Brilliant, indeed! Something needs to happen, to change our outmoded education system. I like what he has to say about the art experience bringing a person fully alive. I have found it to be so true.

I used to give art lessons to kids after school. We lived in a very cold climate at the time, and it happened that there was a fresh, slick layer of ice on the back driveway. I talked to them about being fully present in each moment. And we applied it specifically to our icy driveway situation. I told them to bundle up warm, and go out and slide on the ice, being fully aware of each movement, noticing their environment all around, feeling the slickness of the ice and how it felt to slide on it. Then when they came back in, they would paint their experience using oil pastels.

It was an astounding success! The kids who had no interest in art before, whose parents wanted them to know a little about art, were especially the ones who took a giant leap, in the quality of their experience and their joy in it. They hadn't believed they could 'do' art and were so proud of their pictures and how they had arrived at painting them. The pictures had great movement, beautiful color and surprising detail.

It may sound like a simple thing, but it was a peak experience for me each time a child would break through and get it. I can see why teachers love what they do. Imagine a world where they can operate in a system that supports true education.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marianne For This Post:

<8> (17th September 2011), crosby (24th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Thanks!!

I really appreciate that!!

It is a very simple an efficient way to learn about everything!!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YUPANQUI PUMA For This Post:

<8> (24th September 2011), crosby (24th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,769 times in 885 posts

As a teacher, Ken is top of my list of heroes...along with the late Ted Wragg.
    Have you seen the TED lectures he did?
    Kathie

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tarka the Duck For This Post:

<8> (24th September 2011), crosby (24th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,799 times in 2,657 posts

that was really fantastic. thanks so much for bringing this to us. i agree 100%.
    regards, corson

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crosby For This Post:

<8> (24th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011)

13. Link to Post #7
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,307 times in 873 posts

I like it too This guy knows what he is talking about. Not so funny thing is that schoolchildren know it too...

Cheer up Children driven education is not that far away from here There is Montessori system of education almost 100 years old. One thing i don't like in it is use of word work instead of play... The child choose what to learn/explore in any particular moment. The role of the teacher is kept to the minimum. This system is not perfect but is better than that i has gone through. And there are no grades
    Best wishes and free energy to all
    Robert

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert J. Niewiadomski For This Post:

<8> (24th September 2011)

+ Reply to Thread