+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flying cars

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,151 times in 3,856 posts

Default Flying cars

This was on MSN homepage. The future flying car. Now that I know that there's antigravity devices that make this type of creation obsolete, I have to laugh at this monstrosity. Probably a gas guzzler, too. What do you guys think? Does this look like something you want when there could be better? I think I'll hold out for awhile....

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Maia Gabrial For This Post:

<8> (24th September 2011), Atlas (10th October 2014), Cidersomerset (8th February 2017), Davidallany (23rd September 2011), Ernie Nemeth (23rd September 2011), Foxie Loxie (18th March 2018), KiwiElf (23rd September 2011), Lifebringer (23rd September 2011), New Dawn (23rd September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 times in 248 posts

Default Re: Flying cars

No it takes up a lot of space on the ground, looks far too primitive for something that seems so futuristic. Does it run on same juice as a regular car?

I'm not into the idea of flying cars anymore anyway. I always wanted one when I was a kid, but in the last few years I've realised its going to really piss me off when I look up and can't see the sky because its full of man made objects all over the damn place. I don't want to live in futurama world...

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to New Dawn For This Post:

Davidallany (23rd September 2011), KiwiElf (23rd September 2011), Maia Gabrial (24th September 2011), Mark (23rd September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    Poor english
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 times in 737 posts

I would love one, it would be great to slow down a few caravans for a change...lol
    Love. peace and Blessings to you all.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ammit For This Post:

KiwiElf (23rd September 2011), Maia Gabrial (24th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Australia Avalon Member cheez_2806's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL that looks like a car's head with upside down tables on its back...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheez_2806 For This Post:

KiwiElf (23rd September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

It's called the Terrafugia Transition. It has already flown quite successfully. Think of it as being a "roadable sport aircraft". It still has to take off and land from a conventional airport like a normal sport airplane. It runs on conventional gas. The idea is you fold up the wings and drive it home.

It's doubtful it would be practical for either long flights or long road journeys - and I sure wouldnt like to try and park it!.

Home page is here: http://www.terrafugia.com/

And there are heaps of YouTube videos for it.

Personally, I think Dr Paul Moller's (from Moller International) idea of the VTOL Skycar is vastly better (but also vastly more complicated & expensive to develop). Although Moller's VTOL "Skycar" is not really intended to be driven on the road, the US Govt has already tried in various ways to slow the development of his technology down with various trumped-up charges - (exactly what they did to Preston Tucker and the advanced car of the same name. If you want to see the "mentality" scams, and dirty deals involved, watch "Tucker, the Man and his Car").

Any kind of true "Sky Car" (anti-grav or otherwise) is going to need VTOL capability and some kind of automated navigational system - a "highway in the sky" (which NASA were supposed to have in place by now). This was intended to ENSURE that collisions would be avoided. In essence, these "Sky Cars" are flying robots: you sit back and enjoy the view after programming in your destination.

10. Link to Post #6
    Ecuador Avalon Member Davidallany's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,056 times in 1,577 posts

I knew about the existence of Alien beings and their microwave/gravity machines before I was exposed to flying cars, so I laughed at the idea when told about it first, then when I saw the development on enhanced models of flying cars I laughed some more.

Now I am not laughing as much after seeing how dire the situation was, namely TPTB

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davidallany For This Post:

KiwiElf (24th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,151 times in 3,856 posts

They have the "flying" part right, but using old, outdated technology is almost an insult. Since we all know that anti-gravity technologies exist, why are they insisting we continue to use outdated ones? We're ready to move on and upwards. (No pun intended.... )

I mean, can you imagine parallel parking this anywhere? It looks like something the elites would use to flaunt their wealth with.... Can you imagine getting a drivers/pilots license for something like this? What a dilemna cops will have giving out tickets...

However, with anti-gravity cars, there won't be a need for wings, wheels or fuel. Or roads, for that matter....TPTW need to stop this nonsense already....
    So, I'm not sold on this line of vehicles. It's more of the same fossil fuel guzzling, outdated technology that we've been kept us on for 100 years. Btw, TPTW are just as obsolete....

When all the suppressed technologies get released, we'll all have REAL flying cars, among other things....

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maia Gabrial For This Post:

Davidallany (24th September 2011), KiwiElf (24th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Ivanhoe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,834 times in 1,859 posts

Back in the late 50's Bob Cummings, an actor/comedian (of sorts) had a tv show named after himself in which he drove/flew a flying car that, when configured, was smaller than a Piper Cub. This craft was commercially available at the time but never caught on with the public because you needed a pilots license and overall the pilots at the time wanted a real sports aircraft, like a Cessena or Piper and the like, not a novelty item like a flying car.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ivanhoe For This Post:

Davidallany (24th September 2011), KiwiElf (25th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011)

16. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,307 times in 873 posts

I would rather take a blade runner or fifth element type of vehicle With free energy option ofcourse so this damn thing will not run out of fuell and fall down when I am in the middle of the sky

Propellers and wings are so last year...
    Best wishes and free energy to all
    Robert

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robert J. Niewiadomski For This Post:

Davidallany (24th September 2011), KiwiElf (25th September 2011), Maia Gabrial (25th September 2011)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,348 times in 8,331 posts

Here's a neat little audio track called "So Where's my Flying Car?".

It's not a Youtube Video so you have to go to the web page and click the play button.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=4535905

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Davidallany (24th September 2011), KiwiElf (26th September 2011), Maia Gabrial (25th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (24th September 2011)

20. Link to Post #11
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Here is an artist's impression of the earlier M400 from Moller International.
    Name:  M400R.JPG
Views: 1070
Size:  42.2 KB

8 x rotary engines, 2 in each nacelle for safety redundancy and cancels out torque, over 300 mph cruise speed, VTOL, automated Fly-by-wire control system. Now... replace with anti-grav system and some tachyon drive engines (the size of a can of baked beans... )

This was the prototype which has been successfully hover tested and you can see videos & info for it here:

http://www.moller.com/

The newer model looks a bit ungainly, but similar principle to the Harrier Jump Jet, Osprey and Bell BA-609 Tiltrotor, (the latter of which is expected to be certified for commercial sale in 2012 and is currently in flight testing).

(And Thank you Paul for your excellent post on how to embed this piccie )
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 29th September 2011 at 04:14.

21. Link to Post #12
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

The dune buggy that can fly

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

BMJ (9th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (18th March 2018), KiwiElf (6th June 2016)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Flying cars in 1-3 years? Uber launches futuristic plans

Published on 8 Feb 2017

Uber hires veteran NASA engineer to head up aviation department.
    Ride-hailing company moving forward with plans to launch fleet of
    flying cars in next one to three years

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (18th March 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (9th February 2017), TargeT (8th February 2017), uzn (9th February 2017)

25. Link to Post #14
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,734 times in 4,341 posts

I always looked forward to the potential of flying cars after the Back to the Future movies, and what was that, like 30 yrs ago? And where are we now? Still stuck in the old paradigm of Edwardian technology, that's where! in namely aerodynamics, and fuel>combustion>rotors/propellers = lateral thrust. We're still fiddling with the same basic system that in essence the Wright Brothers introduced over a century ago. A century! If only we had access to the hidden stuff, the good stuff, the anti-grav and field propulsion projects that have long been in existence - and that I am convinced exist (but underground and in secret).

Only then would we have the flying cars of science-fiction dreams. I wouldn't trust these verti-copters, or whatever they're going to be called. Basically an over-sized drone. Who would want to step into that?
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Cidersomerset (9th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (18th March 2018)

27. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,170 times in 1,747 posts

Airbus Concept:

Chinese Chang 184, the Chinese are negotiating at the Moment with Dubai for permitting it in Public.

Terrafugia TF-X

Dutch PAL-V

28. The Following User Says Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (18th March 2018)

29. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

slovakian Aeromobil 3.0

v 2

Make no mistake about it, our corrupt leaders dont want us to fly and have freedom above the Clouds. We could see Things we are not supposed to

30. The Following User Says Thank You to uzn For This Post:

31. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Project Vahana by A^3 (AIRBUS)

Participating in these efforts is A^3, the company’s advanced projects and partnerships outpost located in the gridlocked Valley. A^3 CEO Rodin Lyasoff, project executive Zach Lovering and their team are actively pursuing Vahana, a self-piloted flying vehicle platform for individual passenger and cargo transport.
    Flight tests of the first vehicle prototype are slated for the end of 2017. As ambitious as that sounds, Lyasoff insists that it is feasible. “Many of the technologies needed, such as batteries, motors and avionics are most of the way there,” he explains. However, Vahana also requires reliable sense-and-avoid technology. While this is just starting to be introduced in cars, no mature airborne solutions currently exist. “That’s one of the bigger challenges we aim to resolve as early as possible,” says Lyasoff.
    Transport service providers are one target group for such vehicles. The system could operate similarly to car-sharing applications, with the use of smartphones to book a vehicle. “We believe that global demand for this category of aircraft can support fleets of millions of vehicles worldwide,” estimates Lyasoff.
    At these quantities, development, certification, and manufacturing costs go down. And in terms of market entry, Lyasoff is equally confident: “In as little as ten years, we could have products on the market that revolutionise urban travel for millions of people.” A^3 is powering ahead with Vahana and as is typical for Silicon Valley, the company thinks in terms of weeks, not years. Officially underway since February 2016, the project’s team of internal and external developers and partners have agreed on a vehicle design and is beginning to build and test vehicle subsystems.

Source:
    http://www.airbusgroup.com/int/en/ne...f-Flyover.html

32. The Following User Says Thank You to uzn For This Post:

33. Link to Post #18
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,734 times in 4,341 posts

There's nothing new, interesting, exciting, or particularly innovative about these machines, it's just "Re-inventing the Microlight", which have been around since the seventies.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (18th March 2018), uzn (11th February 2017)

35. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,389 times in 1,715 posts

New Zealand set to adopt pilotless air taxis as Kitty Hawk Cora electric personal drone takes off

The idea of AI-controlled, autonomous flying cars and personal electric drone transport may seem like a science-fiction dream when you’re stuck in bump-and-grind peak-hour traffic, but New Zealand has taken a big step towards certifying autonomous aircraft.

According to the New York Times, New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern is set to confirm new regulations that will allow for the testing of autonomous flying cars, just like the Kitty Hawk Cora launched in NZ this week.

Financed by Google founder Larry Page, California-based company Kitty Hawk has been developing its vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) craft for around eight years and covertly testing the Cora in New Zealand’s South Island near Canterbury since late 2017.

The Kitty Hawk Cora pilotless flying taxi is being operated by NZ aerospace company Zephyr Airworks, and could form the world’s first fleet of autonomous personal drones in three years, says the US company.

The Cora is a two-passenger EV with a range of about 100km and can reach speeds of up to 180km/h. Importantly, it can take off and land like a helicopter, so large runways are not a requirement. And because it’s autonomous, no pilot’s licence is required.

Kitty Hawk has is also working on an Uber-like app that would allow customers to hail one of its flying taxis.

In an email seen by the New York Times, the NZ PM said the country’s new regulations allowing autonomous flying car testing is “…about sending the message to the world that our doors are open for people with great ideas who want to turn them into reality”.

There are other countries actively pushing flying taxi services, including the United Arab Emirates, where Dubai was one of the first cities to officially test an autonomous personal drone, back in September 2017.

Audi, Toyota and Mercedes-Benz have all confirmed they are working on flying cars, which could employ similar AI and camera/sensor technology to their upcoming autonomous road vehicles.

Uber has a flying car department promising air taxis by 2020 and even European aircraft giant Airbus is working on a personal VTOL vehicle.

Link: https://www.motoring.com.au/new-auto...zen.yandex.com

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (18th March 2018), Mike (18th March 2018)

37. Link to Post #20
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Joe from the Carolinas's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,955 times in 995 posts

Flying cars? I think the airline industry is going to suppress that technology as long as possible.

Kind of like how the industry suppressed compressed air powered cars.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

BMJ (18th March 2018), Foxie Loxie (18th March 2018), Mike (18th March 2018)

+ Reply to Thread