+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Illusions

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

Default Illusions

Has anyone read the book "Illusions" by Richard Bach? He is also the author of 'Jonathon Livingston Seagull'. He is also a descendent of composer J.S. Bach. These two books were required reading in my home, and have proven to be a big influence on my life. They are short stories that have to do with the transcending of fears and the creating of our realities. The prologue to 'Illusions' is my favorite little story.

Once there lived a village of creatures along the bottom of a great crystal river. The current of the river swept silently over them all--young and old, rich and poor, good and evil, the current going its own way, knowing only its own crystal self.

Each creature in its own manner clung tightly to the twigs and rocks of the river bottom, for clinging was their way of life, and resisting the current what each had learned from birth. But one creature said at last, "I am tired of clinging. Though I cannot see it with my eyes, I trust that the current knows where it is going. I shall let go, and let it take me where it will. Clinging, I shall die of boredom."

The other creatures laughed and said, "Fool! Let go, and that current you worship will throw you tumbled and smashed across the rocks and you will die quicker than boredom!" But the one heeded them not, and taking a breath did let go, and at once was tumbled and smashed by the current across the rocks.

Yet in time, as the creature refused to cling again, the current lifted him free from the bottom, and he was bruised and hurt no more. And the creatures downstream, to whom he was a stranger, cried, "See a miracle! A creature like ourselves, yet he flies! See the Messiah, come to save us all!"

And the one carried in the current said, "I am no more Messiah than you. The river delights to lift us free, if only we dare let go. Our true work is this voyage, this adventure." But they cried the more, "Savior!" all the while clinging to the rocks, and when they looked again he was gone, and they were left alone making legends of a Savior.
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

2. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

<8> (30th September 2011), 161803398 (29th September 2011), 777 (2nd October 2011), Caren (2nd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (2nd October 2011), Davidallany (29th September 2011), DNA (3rd October 2011), DoubleHelix (29th September 2011), Ernie Nemeth (30th September 2011), Limor Wolf (7th October 2011), Lisab (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (30th September 2011), Mad Hatter (29th September 2011), Maia Gabrial (30th September 2011), modwiz (29th September 2011), noprophet (30th September 2011), pickle (30th September 2011), randles (3rd October 2011), RMorgan (3rd October 2011), ROMANWKT (29th September 2011), Ron Mauer Sr (30th September 2011), Russ1959 (2nd October 2011), Samsara (30th September 2011), seko (29th September 2011), Senso (30th September 2011), sidh25 (30th September 2011), sshenry (30th September 2011), The One (30th September 2011), toothpick (30th September 2011), Tui Allen (10th October 2011), ViralSpiral (29th September 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member cloud9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,796 times in 663 posts

Default Re: Illusions

Yes, I have, many years ago, but the ones that I liked the most were One and The Bridge Across Forever.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cloud9 For This Post:

Davidallany (29th September 2011), DoubleHelix (29th September 2011), Ernie Nemeth (30th September 2011), Jake (29th September 2011), Mad Hatter (29th September 2011), pickle (30th September 2011), Senso (30th September 2011), sshenry (30th September 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

I read them so long ago I think the copyrights have expired.

Great, inspiring reads.

6. Link to Post #4
    Ecuador Avalon Member Davidallany's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,056 times in 1,577 posts

As a child growing up in Baghdad, I was given the book Jonathan Livingston Seagull who was given to my sister by a person I have never met, nor has she met me. She specifically asked my sister to give me the book, reason is unknown.

That book expanded my imagination and depth of thought. It was truly magical. Thank you Jake for reminding me. I will order Illusions immediately.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Davidallany For This Post:

Caren (2nd October 2011), Ernie Nemeth (30th September 2011), Lord Sidious (30th September 2011), Mad Hatter (29th September 2011), Maia Gabrial (30th September 2011), modwiz (29th September 2011), seko (29th September 2011)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,265 times in 2,136 posts

Illusions was and is a wonderful read. It helped me a lot on a journey that started in 1977. Richard was a guest speaker at A.R.E. that year. My friend and I arrived early to get seats in the auditorium. A sell out crowd was expected, and it was. Richard announced that he would answer all questions "to my own satisfaction", and said he would remain there as long as people still had questions. Richard was still going strong at 11PM when I temporally left to take my friend home. Richard was still going strong at 3AM when I left. He could really capture an audience.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Caren (2nd October 2011), Davidallany (2nd October 2011), Maia Gabrial (30th September 2011), pickle (30th September 2011)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

thanks for my facebook status jake hope that story touches someone as much as it does us here

11. Link to Post #7
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

Got it right here on my bookshelf. One of my most cherished books. It was required reading for the ACIM course I took a few years back. Well, recommended to me specifically really, by the groups facilitator the day I met him. Really good read.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Caren (2nd October 2011), pickle (30th September 2011)

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 times in 676 posts

This is absolutely one of my favorite books of all time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to noprophet For This Post:

Caren (2nd October 2011)

15. Link to Post #9
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

what amazing books . . . i read them often ..havent for a while - must do again ...they stand proudly on my book shelf. Many thanks for sharing! Just love them. Senso

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Senso For This Post:

Caren (2nd October 2011), pickle (30th September 2011)

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 times in 294 posts

A great read, thanks for the reminder Jake!

Still, after having a dog-eared copy for over 25 years, Jonathan Livingston Seagull has been one of very few books I turn to for a rapid re-inspiration ;-) JLS was also the finest bedtime story for our son when he was learning to read - it really sparked his imagination.

Loved Bridge Across Forever to.

Peace,

Pickle
    "...when I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone....."

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pickle For This Post:

Caren (2nd October 2011), Lord Sidious (30th September 2011)

19. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member sshenry's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 times in 319 posts

It was the book Johnathan Livingston Seagull that opened my eyes to a larger reality than the one that I was taught by my family, but one that I had suspected existed all along; reading it was like coming home.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sshenry For This Post:

Caren (2nd October 2011), Lord Sidious (30th September 2011), pickle (30th September 2011)

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

Quote Posted by sshenry (here)
    It was the book Johnathan Livingston Seagull that opened my eyes to a larger reality than the one that I was taught by my family, but one that I had suspected existed all along; reading it was like coming home.
    Yes, Me too! I have watched the movie many times too, and can't get enough of the sound track. I went to a Neil Diamond concert at the Key Arena, in Seattle, several years ago,, and I was the only one that was crying like a baby when he sang the ones from the sound track.

Last edited by Jake; 2nd October 2011 at 20:42.
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

Davidallany (2nd October 2011), pickle (2nd October 2011), sshenry (2nd October 2011)

23. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member sshenry's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 times in 319 posts

Re-reading Johnathan Livingston Seagull always makes me cry - not so much a sad cry (though it is part of it) but more of a "I miss this" cry

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sshenry For This Post:

Caren (2nd October 2011), pickle (2nd October 2011)

25. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote reading it was like coming home.
    That's exactly how I saw it.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Davidallany For This Post:

Caren (2nd October 2011)

27. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 times in 294 posts

Quote Posted by sshenry (here)
    Re-reading Johnathan Livingston Seagull always makes me cry - not so much a sad cry (though it is part of it) but more of a "I miss this" cry
    Ditto SSH, and in particular, when JLS has gone through what he has to then hear the elder Gull say (from memory!), "Perfect speed my son, is being there" makes so much sense.

Peace,

Pickle
    "...when I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone....."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to pickle For This Post:

sshenry (3rd October 2011)

29. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 times in 518 posts

With Illusions and the Third Eye everything started to have sense. And the learning began.

Jonathan was a logic which follows.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vibrations For This Post:

Davidallany (3rd October 2011), sshenry (3rd October 2011)

31. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote With Illusions and the Third Eye everything started to have sense. And the learning began.

Jonathan was a logic which follows.
    Before reading JLS, I have already known about paranormal abilities in people through my own practices, so when I arrived at the end of the story I became the bird and people became the birds, we became different birds, in same appearance but with so many enhancements, that day is drawing nearer, I could feel it.
    All is needed is daily actions of kindness, without expecting praise or rewards. You see an old man shoveling offer him a hand, you see a woman dragging a huge luggage offer her a hand, someone insults you, forgive him/her.
    If you feel up to it, practice awakening your powers, these powers have been in a state of (Ύπνος) Hupnos, I know Inelia said it's not necessary to do so in the squirrel famous interview, but I think it may help people to focus their attention better.

32. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,951 times in 4,333 posts

Yea I remember reading them. I do believe he was highly influenced by Jane Robert's "Seth Material".

33. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,979 times in 1,173 posts

Two of my favourite books. My dad gave me his JLS that was given to him by one of his friends. Tatty and loved! Have quoted Richard Bach once or twice in "Quote" thread. Love him. Time to read them again methinks. Thanks for the reminder Jake.

34. Link to Post #20
    New Zealand Avalon Member
    Thanks

J L Seagull has been one of the great influences of my life. I never viewed seagulls or wild animals the same again afterwards. It marked the moment of my first conviction that animals are all part of the same continuum where all life and everything exists. I first read it in the seventies and it influenced me as a teacher. There is much in that book of great relevance to teachers. It also influenced me spiritually over my life though I may not have been aware of it at the time and not until quite recently. Bach's other books also mesmerised me. I'm not sure which title goes with each one but the one where he was a pilot flying around the country and was also a messiah was unforgettable. Some images from that story have stayed with me forever. For example when he waved his hand at the bugmush on the windscreen and all the bugs were whole again and flew away happily. His views on "quitting" were so thought provoking I've never stopped thinking about them and have quitted something because of it more than once. Those quittings were always wise moves in the end. Thank-you for telling me he was descended from the composer. That was new to me.
    I thought the music that went with the JL Seagull film was the best thing about the film. There were also some beautiful seascapes shown but the movie did not live up to the book except for the music
    Last edited by Tui Allen; 10th October 2011 at 00:49. Reason: added note about the movie

+ Reply to Thread