+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Purpose?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Charlie Pecos's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,842 times in 492 posts

Default What Is Your Purpose?

What is my purpose? Why am I here? These are questions that I think we all ask ourselves on a regular basis. Both here at Avalon and in life in general. I think I am beginning to see mine, although I have just a rough outline at the moment.

For those who don't know, I am a carpenter. I wasn't always a carpenter though, I have a degree in the Culinary Arts and was a Chef for ten years. I was guided to give up that occupation and become a carpenter, something that came very naturally for me. I lost my passion a few years ago, and despite numerous prayers, have had great difficulty in reigniting my fire. The only thing that really gives me pleasure these days is writing. I enjoy writing very much, it is becoming my new passion. I keep an awareness journal, sometimes I write when inspired to do so on facebook, and I also write here as you all know. In addition, I keep correspondence with others of like mind, as I am sure most of you do as well. I have been told by several different people that I have a gift for writing. As I see it, writing is no different than building or cooking. I am creating. I envision, through divine inspiration, a final product in my mind, and then set forth to manifest it through use of my physical being. Mind, body, and spirit working together in perfect balance. Of course, some times things don't come out the way I planned. Sometimes there is need for improvement or adjustment. Sometimes things turn out much better than I had ever planned.

I write when, where and what I am inspired to write. Sometimes it resonates with others, and sometimes it does not. I am not bothered by this, for I am practicing and I am learning. I am training myself and my mind, through divine direction, to become something, a writer perhaps. There are many things to learn and it will take time. I thank you Avalon for being part of my journey, for being my teacher.

What is your purpose?
    Last edited by Charlie Pecos; 2nd October 2011 at 21:13.
    There is no good and there is no bad, all are experience and experience is everything.
    In truth, there is only ONE of us.

2. The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Pecos For This Post:

<8> (2nd October 2011), 58andfixed (2nd October 2011), Caren (2nd October 2011), Carmen (2nd October 2011), Davidallany (3rd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (4th October 2011), Heyoka_11 (2nd October 2011), Hughe (3rd October 2011), Ineffable Hitchhiker (3rd October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (2nd October 2011), Lucc30 (2nd October 2011), markoid (2nd October 2011), Miller (3rd October 2011), modwiz (3rd October 2011), mosquito (3rd October 2011), Pete (2nd October 2011), Ruby L. (2nd October 2011), Samsara (2nd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), sshenry (2nd October 2011), Star1111 (3rd October 2011), TelosianEmbrace (3rd October 2011), Titan Orion (3rd October 2011), Tony (2nd October 2011), toothpick (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011), winnasboy (3rd October 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Default Re: What Is Your Purpose?

I often wonder that!

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

<8> (2nd October 2011), Caren (2nd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (2nd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), Ineffable Hitchhiker (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (2nd October 2011), markoid (2nd October 2011), Miller (3rd October 2011), Pete (2nd October 2011), Ruby L. (2nd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), sshenry (2nd October 2011), toothpick (3rd October 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

I know what you mean about keeping the passion.
    It is a struggle between the sun and the wolf trying to swallow it most days for me.
    I believe, based on recent events, that I am a volunteernugget, sent here to help others on their paths.
    Not working out so well.

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,426 times in 839 posts

Not sure if I have a purpose other than to try and reconnect my physical self with my larger self. The only thing I'm passionate about is playing and sleeping.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

<8> (2nd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (2nd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (2nd October 2011), markoid (2nd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,455 times in 312 posts

My passion was windsurfing, mountaineering and fishing then I lost it and I turned my passion into design then I lost it.......I'll let you know when it comes back.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pete For This Post:

<8> (2nd October 2011), Caren (2nd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (2nd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), markoid (2nd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

10. Link to Post #6
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Thanks

Crazy, literally an hour ago i was close to posting a thread here about finding ones purpose, but i talked myself out of it.

I was curious to see how other people had found their purpose or even if a purpose exists.

Im inclined to follow the advice of joseph campbell and attempt to "follow thy bliss". I think ones purpose is to follow what one is most passionate about. For many the path of reconnecting with this passion is difficult after years of numbing these passions through the conforming and spirit crushing demands of modern living.

Thanks for the post.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kingmonkey For This Post:

<8> (2nd October 2011), Caren (2nd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (2nd October 2011), Curt (3rd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), markoid (2nd October 2011), mosquito (3rd October 2011), Pete (3rd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lord Sidious (here)
    It is a struggle between the sun and the wolf trying to swallow it most days for me.
    I believe, based on recent events, that I am a volunteernugget, sent here to help others on their paths.
    Not working out so well.
    I think you do more than you are aware of. Hmmm, a beacon of light you are, dark lord.

Quote Crazy, literally an hour ago i was close to posting a thread here about finding ones purpose, but i talked myself out of it.

I was curious to see how other people had found their purpose or even if a purpose exists.

Im inclined to follow the advice of joseph campbell and attempt to "follow thy bliss". I think ones purpose is to follow what one is most passionate about. For many the path of reconnecting with this passion is difficult after years of numbing these passions through the conforming and spirit crushing demands of modern living.

Thanks for the post.
    You know, I think your right!
    Last edited by Charlie Pecos; 2nd October 2011 at 21:14.
    There is no good and there is no bad, all are experience and experience is everything.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Pecos For This Post:

<8> (2nd October 2011), Caren (2nd October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), markoid (2nd October 2011), mosquito (3rd October 2011), Pete (3rd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

14. Link to Post #8

Hi,

The human spirit and soul and of course our precious earth and their condition have always been my passions.

Nora

we are all related

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Post:

<8> (2nd October 2011), 58andfixed (2nd October 2011), Caren (2nd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (2nd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (4th October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (2nd October 2011), markoid (2nd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member sshenry's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 times in 319 posts

A question. An observation. A Thought:

The word "purpose" has a number of different meanings:

First is: "the reason for which something exists or is done, made, used".
    The second is: "an intended or desired result; end; aim; goal"
    Third is: "determination; resoluteness".
    Fourth is: 'the subject in hand; the point at issue".
    Fifth is: " practical result, effect, or advantage: to act to good purpose"

If you notice, each of these definitions has one thing in common; they are all defined by our COMPREHENSION; comprehension being an act of the mind - that bridge that connects the soul to the body and all of its multitude of goings-on.

And perhaps that in and of itself is an answer (or at least part of the answer)? Perhaps our purpose is to connect to the dots; to COMPREHEND the connections between body and soul through the actions of the mind; to become completely and totally aware of the impact our thoughts on the body and the body's actions and reactions on the mind.

And perhaps the 'purpose' as it is revealed (through inclinations, talents etc) isn't in the talent or inclination itself, but in the ability of that inclination or talent to make those connections in such a way that we understand them clearly and precisely so that we can move past our focus on this flawed reality and instead hone the tools and skills needed to create a reality worthy of our own (and the universe's) abilities.

Just a thought...

17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sshenry For This Post:

<8> (2nd October 2011), Alecs (2nd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (2nd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (2nd October 2011), markoid (2nd October 2011), Omni connexae! (3rd October 2011), Pete (3rd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011)

18. Link to Post #10
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Quote Posted by Charlie Pecos (here)
    Not working out so well.
    I think you do more than you are aware of. Hmmm, a beacon of light you are, dark lord.
    Dunno about that, but thanks for the vote of confidence.
    Not feeling very ''beaconish'' right now.

19. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Not working out so well.
    Why Lord Sidious - to lead people to the Dark Side of the Force.
    And train a new apprentice - one that's younger and more powerful.
    Last edited by anklebiter; 2nd October 2011 at 22:40.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to anklebiter For This Post:

<8> (2nd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (2nd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (2nd October 2011), Pete (3rd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

21. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member jagman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,322 times in 1,900 posts

I think I know part of my purpose for being here.I think I was put on this earth to be a Protector! God or my creator gifted me physically,and
    Athletically and he also gave me a good heart. Throughout my life I have had several experiences.Two years ago there was an automobile
    accident. Two elderly women were stuck in their burning vehicle! I got out of my vehicle and ran to the scene.One of Their vehicle doors
    were pushed into a tree and the other door was smashed by the impact of the other vehicle! The car was really starting to burn,So I reached up
    and grabbed part of the mangled door and pulled has hard has I could and the door came open!I pulled the two women to safety!
    Last edited by jagman; 2nd October 2011 at 23:30.

22. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jagman For This Post:

<8> (2nd October 2011), 58andfixed (2nd October 2011), Alecs (2nd October 2011), Carmen (3rd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (2nd October 2011), Curt (3rd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (4th October 2011), Lord Sidious (2nd October 2011), modwiz (3rd October 2011), mosquito (3rd October 2011), Pete (3rd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), toothpick (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by sshenry (here)
    A question. An observation. A Thought:

The word "purpose" has a number of different meanings:

First is: "the reason for which something exists or is done, made, used".
    The second is: "an intended or desired result; end; aim; goal"
    Third is: "determination; resoluteness".
    Fourth is: 'the subject in hand; the point at issue".
    Fifth is: " practical result, effect, or advantage: to act to good purpose"

If you notice, each of these definitions has one thing in common; they are all defined by our COMPREHENSION; comprehension being an act of the mind - that bridge that connects the soul to the body and all of its multitude of goings-on.

And perhaps that in and of itself is an answer (or at least part of the answer)? Perhaps our purpose is to connect to the dots; to COMPREHEND the connections between body and soul through the actions of the mind; to become completely and totally aware of the impact our thoughts on the body and the body's actions and reactions on the mind.

And perhaps the 'purpose' as it is revealed (through inclinations, talents etc) isn't in the talent or inclination itself, but in the ability of that inclination or talent to make those connections in such a way that we understand them clearly and precisely so that we can move past our focus on this flawed reality and instead hone the tools and skills needed to create a reality worthy of our own (and the universe's) abilities.

Just a thought...
    And a very good thought at that, thank you!

Quote I think I know part of my purpose for being here.I think I was put on this earth to be a Protector! God or my creator gifted me physically,
    Athletically and he also gave me a good heart. Throughout my life I have had several experiences.Two years ago there was an automobile
    accident. Two elderly women were stuck in their burning vehicle! I got out of my vehicle and ran to the scene.One of Their vehicle doors
    were pushed into a tree and the other door was smashed by the impact of the other vehicle! The car was really starting to burn,So I reached up
    and grabbed part of the mangled door and pulled has hard has I could and the door came open!I pulled the two women to safety!
    Jagman, may I say it is an honor to know someone of your caliber. Good job brother!

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Pecos For This Post:

<8> (2nd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), jagman (2nd October 2011), Lord Sidious (2nd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), sshenry (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,696 times in 822 posts

What Is my Purpose? I think if you askt me 3 years ago, i told you i was here to suffer, if you askt me 5 years ago i tell you i was here to reshape the world.
    If you ask me now i say "face my fears", why? there was a few things i know in my early age i did not whant to do, still i ending up doing them. And now i am "facing" them..
    But i really think it all depends when we ask that question...
    Sounds a bit cryptic maybe, but if you have gone through hard times and done things your not proud of, you know what i am talking about.
    I am not digging any more holes, i am accepting my own mistakes and moving on. what more can one really do??

Hmmm i am accepting me for who i am, and i forgive people for what they have done, and i love what i have become.. tataaa..

So i would say right now my "purpose" is to work with myself...

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to <8> For This Post:

Charlie Pecos (3rd October 2011), Curt (3rd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (3rd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

27. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

I guess I've always felt that I have a purpose in this life. It's just that from time to time it seems to be changing, or maybe it's just that I've been wrong the times when I have "felt" what that purpose may be. I resonate with <8> when he says he wondered about his purpose being suffering. I've felt that too, many times. Because I am fundamentally a good person, but I have had more than my share of incredibly bad luck.
    I read Paulo Coehlo's The Fifth Mountain, and that was probably the closest I've ever come to realizing my purpose. I believe it is whatever is the closest to your passion...the thing that excites and interests you more than anything. For me, it's not so easy to follow my purpose. Because I have allowed my path to become cluttered and interwoven by being indecisive and lazy, and unsure. So now I have a whole new set of lessons to get through before I can start again.

But yes, if you can identify your passion, you can identify your purpose.

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Morgaine For This Post:

<8> (3rd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (3rd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (3rd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

29. Link to Post #16
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

What is my purpose? Why am I here? These are questions that I think we all ask ourselves on a regular basis. Both here at Avalon and in life in general. I think I am beginning to see mine, although I have just a rough outline at the moment.

For those who don't know, I am a carpenter. I wasn't always a carpenter though, I have a degree in the Culinary Arts and was a Chef for ten years. I was guided to give up that occupation and become a carpenter, something that came very naturally for me. I lost my passion a few years ago, and despite numerous prayers, have had great difficulty in reigniting my fire. The only thing that really gives me pleasure these days is writing. I enjoy writing very much, it is becoming my new passion. I keep an awareness journal, sometimes I write when inspired to do so on facebook, and I also write here as you all know. In addition, I keep correspondence with others of like mind, as I am sure most of you do as well. I have been told by several different people that I have a gift for writing. As I see it, writing is no different than building or cooking. I am creating. I envision, through divine inspiration, a final product in my mind, and then set forth to manifest it through use of my physical being. Mind, body, and spirit working together in perfect balance. Of course, some times things don't come out the way I planned. Sometimes there is need for improvement or adjustment. Sometimes things turn out much better than I had ever planned.

I write when, where and what I am inspired to write. Sometimes it resonates with others, and sometimes it does not. I am not bothered by this, for I am practicing and I am learning. I am training myself and my mind, through divine direction, to become something, a writer perhaps. There are many things to learn and it will take time. I thank you Avalon for being part of my journey, for being my teacher.

What is your purpose?
    Im here to write also! Well met, fellow Disciple of the Written Word!

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Titan Orion For This Post:

<8> (3rd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (3rd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (3rd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

31. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Titan Orion (here)

What is your purpose?
    Im here to write also! Well met, fellow Disciple of the Written Word!
    Well then, write on, brother, write on!

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Pecos For This Post:

<8> (3rd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (3rd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

33. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

Haven't quite figured out mine yet.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

<8> (3rd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (3rd October 2011), Curt (3rd October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

35. Link to Post #19
    New Zealand Avalon Member Carmen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,527 times in 1,560 posts

Interesting thread! I have wondered about my particular purpose. Strange as it may seem, it was and is, to find and secure this 'place'. This place where I live. To prepare it energetically, spiritually. To 'make home' here in the middle of the south island New Zealand. I see this place as an oasis of the future. I have done many things in the past that have added to this vision without really knowing why, but knowing it was what I was prompted to do. Certain people will just 'know' to come here. My particular passion at the moment is the guitar. I am now learning to play for myself and it is opening up a wonderful world of music I never thought I had the ability to learn. I came into this life with the gift of voice but had never learned any intrument with which to accompany myself.

36. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Carmen For This Post:

<8> (3rd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (3rd October 2011), jagman (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (3rd October 2011), Morgaine (3rd October 2011), Pete (3rd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

37. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 times in 601 posts

I have lost all passion for the things of this world, and as I see it my purpose is to transcend the darkness of this present age and to be an overcomer of my past, the present and the future in this life I am living - to become more complete in my innermost being than I am today, and in everyday - and then to move onward into the higher realities of Spirit into who I am created to be. I know for a fact that I am not reincarnating to do this all over again - this is my final incarnation in this present world paradigm and I am dealing with all the past and present issues I have in my life. My purpose is to fulfill the mission I have been given - to complete the work that has been given me (and this has nothing to do with an occupation). My purpose is spiritual and it has nothing to do with any thing in this world - but the the things and experiences of this world have been instrumental in my personal growth as a spiritual being having a human experience. My purpose is to fulfill Infinite Love's purpose - but this is something each individual must learn and know for themselves.
    ~ If nothing changes then nothing changes ~

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HORIZONS For This Post:

<8> (3rd October 2011), Charlie Pecos (3rd October 2011), DoubleHelix (3rd October 2011), Lord Sidious (3rd October 2011), Sidney (3rd October 2011), TelosianEmbrace (3rd October 2011), ulli (3rd October 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast