+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diesel made with sun, water, CO2

1. Link to Post #1
    Australia Avalon Member nottelling's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Diesel made with sun, water, CO2

Quote A MASSACHUSETTS biotechnology company says it can produce the fuel that runs cars and jet engines using the same ingredients that make grass grow.

Joule Unlimited has invented a genetically-engineered organism that it says simply secretes diesel fuel or ethanol wherever it finds sunlight, water and carbon dioxide.

The Cambridge, Massachusetts-based company says it can manipulate the organism to produce the renewable fuels on demand at unprecedented rates, and can do it in facilities large and small at costs comparable to the cheapest fossil fuels.

What can it mean? No less than "energy independence", Joule's website tells the world, even if the world's not quite convinced.

"We make some lofty claims, all of which we believe, all of which we've validated, all of which we've shown to investors," said Joule chief executive Bill Sims.
    More at the link: http://www.northernstar.com.au/story...sun-water-co2/

The Joule website: http://www.jouleunlimited.com/

The patents:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?...t+%237,981,647

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=UTnnAQAAEBAJ

Other patents by Joule Unlimited: http://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&t...mited,+Inc.%22

I'm usually a little wary of anything which is genetically engineered. If this bacteria mutated and got out into the wild, we'd have an environmental disaster of global proportions which would far exceed the evils of the oil industry.

But having said that - Sounds awesome if it's feasible. Imagine a vehicle fuel reactor in every backyard? No more resource wars. Of course it remains to be seen if this technology will be "acquired" by some faceless multi-national and buried or not. I hope not. In the article the head honcho of Joule Unlimited is clearly obsessed with money, which is a clear sign he can be bought out. Open source tech which cannot be suppressed is needed in this situation.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nottelling For This Post:

Dawn (25th October 2011), gandra99 (6th October 2011), Mad Hatter (25th October 2011), NancyV (24th October 2011), ROMANWKT (24th October 2011), therealslimady (24th October 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Diesel made with sun, water, CO2

Yeah, any organism that can run on such common substances could potentially poison the entire planetary water supply with "diesel fuel". Sounds like potentially the most dangerous thing I have ever heard of after self replicating nano machines.

4. Link to Post #3
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,123 times in 3,535 posts

Quote Posted by BPIpsychic (here)
    Yeah, any organism that can run on such common substances could potentially poison the entire planetary water supply with "diesel fuel". Sounds like potentially the most dangerous thing I have ever heard of after self replicating nano machines.
    You canīt take it so literally. This micro-organism needs special conditions in order to reproduce, like specific temperature, special filtered water, special pressure conditions and a specific amount of COē.

Itīs not the kind of thing that you just throw on the water and it becomes diesel like a miracle.

Cheers,

Raf.
    Last edited by RMorgan; 25th October 2011 at 01:47.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

6. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

My tractor is interested in this news
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,921 times in 4,417 posts

I'm usually a little wary of anything which is genetically engineered. If this bacteria mutated and got out into the wild, we'd have an environmental disaster of global proportions which would far exceed the evils of the oil industry.

We already have one of those, Fukushima!! At this point what difference does it make. Our planet is hosed as far as i'm concerned.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

Anchor (25th October 2011)

9. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

Quote Posted by starchild111 (here)
    We already have one of those, Fukushima!! At this point what difference does it make. Our planet is hosed as far as i'm concerned.
    Thats a sad way to think.

Just last week I watched a sunset, I watched parrots playing, Kangaroo's larking about.

I drank pure rainwater, I ate some vegetables that we grew.

My hair is not falling out.

My teeth are not loose.

I am not bleeding.

I ache, but thats because I spent 2hrs bashing in star pickets to make fences round some oak trees to protect them from clumsy roo's.

I know that there are things wrong and that this planet is taking unnecessary damage.

She is not hosed.

She could shrug it off in an instant if it gets too much.

She wants to take the long road and let us work stuff out.

You are living in a time when this may happen before your eyes

Dont give up on us (humans+gaia) yet!
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Lord Sidious (25th October 2011), Mad Hatter (25th October 2011), maurice (5th November 2014), Reinhard (25th October 2011), Sidney (25th October 2011), ulli (5th November 2014)

11. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,921 times in 4,417 posts

Difficult to not be cynical these days. My apologies. Some days it just really seems that its alswys gonna be 3 steps forward, and 4 back. I would like for us and Gaia to win this race, but (for me) sometimes it feels like a never ending battle.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

Anchor (27th October 2011)

13. Link to Post #8
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,748 times in 261 posts

Quote Posted by Anchor (here)
    My tractor is interested in this news
    yes, mine too. I love my tractor .

+ Reply to Thread