+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Death is very likely the single best invention of Life - Steve Jobs

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Death is very likely the single best invention of Life - Steve Jobs

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. - Steve Jobs

¤=[Post Update]=¤

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true. - Steve Jobs

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. - Steve Jobs
    Last edited by Ilie Pandia; 12th October 2011 at 11:58. Reason: give credit where credit is due

2. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,459 times in 1,312 posts

Default Re:Death is very likely the single best invention of Life - Steve Jobs

Your post reads like poetry raymond. Like everything you've ever said or done in your life has led you to the pinnacle of human wisdom. Or can we say divine? Right where it becomes so clear that all of it was just a gift to get you there. If you think it's impossible to convey the depth and breadth of that realization, it's not. Keep doing it. You touched me. Thank you so much.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markpierre For This Post:

<8> (10th October 2011), Samsara (10th October 2011)

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Forevernyt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,759 times in 421 posts

Taken from the movie, The Fountain:

Death is the road to Awe.
    There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a stick.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forevernyt For This Post:

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,696 times in 822 posts

Hi Raymond...

I thought i was about to die a few weeks ago, i woke up with unbearable pain in my chest and right arm. Soo what have i learned from this experience??

Well i now know i whant my pants on when that time comes..
    Then i kissed my girlfriend and told how much i loved her.. then i went and lie down on the sofa, took a few painkillers and wonder where i would turn up on the other side..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to <8> For This Post:

Samsara (10th October 2011)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by markpierre (here)
    Your post reads like poetry raymond. Like everything you've ever said or done in your life has led you to the pinnacle of human wisdom. Or can we say divine? Right where it becomes so clear that all of it was just a gift to get you there. If you think it's impossible to convey the depth and breadth of that realization, it's not. Keep doing it. You touched me. Thank you so much.
    More like Steve Jobs Stanfords commencement speech in 2005

Raymond, do give credit when credit is due.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/j...bs-061505.html

Do

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gigawatt For This Post:

<8> (10th October 2011), Lisab (10th October 2011), meeradas (11th October 2011), Samsara (10th October 2011), ThePythonicCow (11th October 2011)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,426 times in 839 posts

I don't think you have to look death square in the face to understand how precious life is. Sure it happens, and it has it's place. But if you live "in the now moment" then you understand the beauty of it all. You're alive. It's all now. And right now, your alive. If your thinking about the future, and the how's, why's and when's of your passing, then you aren't in the "now". I'm not saying it's wrong to think about the future, I'm only saying that I, personally, don't think that death is some kind of ultimate teaching tool. For some of you, it is, and that's fine. We all learn in our own way. I'm just presenting a different point of view here. Thank you for your insights raymond.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread