+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rupert Murdoch labels US Education System a Crime against Children..!

1. Link to Post #1
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Default Rupert Murdoch labels US Education System a Crime against Children..!

Rupert Murdoch labels US education system a crime

October 15, 2011

RUPERT Murdoch has labelled the US education system a "crime against our children".

He said it needs visionaries of the calibre of the late Apple founder Steve Jobs to reform it.

"We need to tear down an education system designed for the 19th century and replace it with one that's suited for the 21st," said Mr Murdoch at an education conference in San Franscisco.

Quote "And we need to approach the education industry the way my friend Steve Jobs approached every industry."
    The chairman and chief executive of News Corporation (ultimate publisher of The Weekend Australian), said high dropout rates and general underachievement in US schools needed to be transformed.

Quote "The standards for America's public schools are lower than our standards for American Idol," Mr Murdoch said.
    "Most American classrooms haven't changed much since the days of Grover Cleveland. You have a teacher, a piece of chalk, a blackboard - and a room full of kids.

"Put simply, we must approach education the way Steve Jobs approached every industry he touched.

"To be willing to blow up what doesn't work or gets in the way.

"And to make our bet that if we can engage a child's imagination, there's no limit to what he or she can learn."

Mr Murdoch said better-trained teachers, technology and a competitive educational marketplace would produce a better system than the one that was suffering from a crisis of imagination and crisis of rising costs.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/medi...-1226167108165

PS - Well Rupert you Old Bastard, for once I am going to Agree with You..!

I'm sure there must be a 'Hidden Angle' in there somewhere though..?

Or...Maybe its just time for Ruperts PR Team to Ramp-Up his Image after the News Of the World fiasco...Yeh, that makes more sense..!

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

Default Re: Rupert Murdoch labels US Education System a Crime against Children..!

Quote Or...Maybe its just time for Ruperts PR Team to Ramp-Up his Image after the News Of the World fiasco...Yeh, that makes more sense..!
    That's the one that gets my vote

Murdoch is no champion for our children ...

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

Annacarl (15th October 2011), BMJ (15th October 2011), jackovesk (15th October 2011), KiwiElf (15th October 2011), modwiz (15th October 2011), pharoah21 (15th October 2011), Seikou-Kishi (15th October 2011), winnasboy (15th October 2011)

4. Link to Post #3
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Default Re: Rupert Murdoch labels US Education System a Crime against Children..!

As an ex lecturer at an Auckland University, I'd agree with that to a point: it's not the teachers, it's the beaurocracy and the system. Trust me, the teachers know only too well what should be taught. Ask yourselves, how much of your [compulsory] education is of any value in your lives today? Do we need algebra? A false "history"?

A child is at his or her most creative point at about the age of 5. Within 2 years of attending school, this creative potential has dropped to less than 2%.

And as a teacher, God help you if you say anything against the "system": you are "gone".

Go figure.
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 17th October 2011 at 13:10.

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,331 times in 1,296 posts

He clearly thinks the drop-out rate, while high, could be higher.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Post:

Calz (15th October 2011), KiwiElf (16th October 2011)

7. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Coaxial's Avatar
    Thanks

The man is an efin lizzard..... Looking for a good pr spin but the fact still remains we can't keep enough money from state to state to pay teachers, let alone pay for multiple wars as a collective!
    Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant. If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coaxial For This Post:

Calz (15th October 2011), jackovesk (15th October 2011), KiwiElf (15th October 2011), modwiz (15th October 2011)

9. Link to Post #6
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Quote Posted by Calz_Avaretard (here)
    Quote Or...Maybe its just time for Ruperts PR Team to Ramp-Up his Image after the News Of the World fiasco...Yeh, that makes more sense..!
    That's the one that gets my vote

Murdoch is no champion for our children ...
    No champion for the human race either. Of course, he ceded from us some time ago.

10. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,172 times in 13,485 posts

Funny. When I first learnt about the Murdoch agenda it was in conjunction with the "dumbing down the public" agenda.
    What happened? His "good friend" Steve Jobs got him to think otherwise?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Calz (15th October 2011), jackovesk (15th October 2011), KiwiElf (16th October 2011)

12. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Perhaps he wants computers in every classroom so he can run advertisements or phone, er, computer tap them...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oceanz For This Post:

Calz (17th October 2011), Positive Vibe Merchant (17th October 2011)

14. Link to Post #9
    Australia Avalon Member Positive Vibe Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 times in 546 posts

that is where my thoughts were going too Oceanz... Ever classroom of america that has his products = money, and lots of it.
    I am the underdog, I am one of many faces,
    In a room full of people, I wouldn't change any places

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Positive Vibe Merchant For This Post:

Calz (17th October 2011)

+ Reply to Thread