Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Letting go ......of what?

1. Link to Post #1
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Default Letting go ......of what?

Letting go....of what?

We are all going to the same destination, but via different route, so I apologise for any confusion.
    If you continue to read on, and are still confused, be aware that it may not be reality that is a fault...it may be you! (thank you Douglas Adams)

Experiencing something takes a moment.
    Explaining it takes time.
    As we cannot stand still on our journey, we must move on.
    It is always difficult on an open forum to gauge whether something is timely or not...

Letting go of thoughts, emotions and attachment to phenomena is, of course, a skilful action.

Letting go is still an act of 'doing'.
    I let go.
    In truth, there is nothing to let go, as it never existed in the first place.
    Here we are talking something very subtle. There is nothing to do: just realise.

If we agree that all phenomena, thoughts and emotions are temporary occurrences - they rely on causes and conditions – then they have no inherent existence of their own. They do not truly exist.

This will take time to assimilate, as we are used to relating to things as truly existing.
    It is just a matter of analysing and living with it for a while (if you are interested in this aspect, you would find in-depth analysis in the Madyamika system of Buddhist philosophy...but it's likely you will end up even more confused!).

The most important situation is when emotions arise.
    It is not a matter of the emotions NOT arising: it is a matter of how we deal with them!
    Gradually, with observation of what is going on internally, the emotions will subside naturally.

The process of letting go is an antidote - it releases.
    Then realise that the emotion does exist at all.

There three traditional descriptions of the dissolving of thoughts and emotions:

1. Knot in a snake - it unties itself.
    2. Writing on water - it disappears as soon as written.
    3. A thief entering an empty house - nothing there to take.

These are merely tools to gauge our progress.

We may be told all this, but still we are attached to our clinging.
    We can also be attached to OUR letting go!

Be aware of being a duck, calmly moving through the water...but paddling like the clappers underneath. In human terms, be aware of tension in the mind which can manifest in facial muscles....relaaaax!

Until enlightenment, we will have emotions.
    We are work in progress.

Tony

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

amedeejp (30th October 2011), Anchor (7th November 2011), Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), GK76 (30th October 2011), Ineffable Hitchhiker (30th October 2011), Jay (30th October 2011), jessamy99 (30th October 2011), lightning23 (5th November 2011), Lisab (3rd November 2011), Lord Sidious (30th October 2011), mahalall (3rd November 2011), modwiz (7th November 2011), music (5th November 2011), NancyV (5th November 2011), nimmer (5th November 2011), Reinhard (5th November 2011), ROMANWKT (30th October 2011), Star1111 (7th November 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Wales Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,775 times in 1,313 posts

Default Re: Letting go ......of what?

Hi Tony

One must use will to undo will, one must do to undo, and so is the process.

My regards to as always
    roman

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ROMANWKT For This Post:

Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), Ineffable Hitchhiker (30th October 2011), jessamy99 (30th October 2011), Lisab (3rd November 2011), Lord Sidious (30th October 2011), modwiz (7th November 2011), NancyV (5th November 2011), Tony (30th October 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ROMANWKT (here)
    Hi Tony

My regards to as always
    roman
    You are right, first we need to make effort. Then we find effortlessness.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), Ineffable Hitchhiker (30th October 2011), Lisab (3rd November 2011), Lord Sidious (30th October 2011), modwiz (7th November 2011), NancyV (5th November 2011), ROMANWKT (30th October 2011), Star1111 (7th November 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,769 times in 885 posts

Hi Tony

My regards to as always
    roman
    Hello Roman

Would you agree with the metaphor that we need to use soap in order to clean, but once clean, we then need to wash away the soap?

Kathie

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tarka the Duck For This Post:

Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), Ineffable Hitchhiker (30th October 2011), Lisab (3rd November 2011), Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), ROMANWKT (30th October 2011), Star1111 (7th November 2011), Tony (31st October 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

I sometimes wonder if total confusion is the goal...totally nothing to hold on to.
    There is a saying...My dreamlike form, appeared to dreamlike beings, to show them the dreamlike path, that leads to dreamlike enlightenment.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), Ineffable Hitchhiker (30th October 2011), Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), PurpleLama (31st October 2011), ROMANWKT (30th October 2011), Star1111 (7th November 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    Wales Deactivated
    Thanks

HI Tarka the Duck

I absolutely agree and understand.

My regards to you Kathie
    roman

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by pie'n'eal (here)
    I sometimes wonder if total confusion is the goal...totally nothing to hold on to.
    There is a saying...My dreamlike form, appeared to dreamlike beings, to show them the dreamlike path, that leads to dreamlike enlightenment.
    That's why I call it " Its all nonsense".

Regards to you
    roman

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ROMANWKT For This Post:

Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), Ineffable Hitchhiker (30th October 2011), Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), Tarka the Duck (30th October 2011), Tony (30th October 2011)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,221 times in 2,274 posts

Greetings, Friend!

No, not confusion, but not knowing, which is non-dwelling.

Q: Whereon should the mind settle and dwell?

A: It should settle upon nondwelling and there dwell.

Q: What is this nondwelling?

A: It means not allowing the mind to dwell upon anything whatsoever.

Q: And what is the meaning of that?

A: Dwelling upon nothing means that the mind is not fixed upon good or evil,
    being or nonbeing, inside or outside, or somewhere between the two,
    void or nonvoid, concentration or distraction.

This dwelling upon nothing is the state in which it should dwell;
    those who attain to it are said to have nondwelling minds -
    in other words, they have Buddha-minds!

~Hui Hai,
    THE ESSENTIAL GATEWAY TO TRUTH
    BY MEANS OF INSTANTANEOUS AWAKENING

Blessings!

14. Link to Post #8
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by another bob (here)
    Greetings, Friend!

No, not confusion, but not knowing, which is non-dwelling.

Q: Whereon should the mind settle and dwell?

A: It should settle upon nondwelling and there dwell.

Q: What is this nondwelling?

A: It means not allowing the mind to dwell upon anything whatsoever.

Q: And what is the meaning of that?

A: Dwelling upon nothing means that the mind is not fixed upon good or evil,
    being or nonbeing, inside or outside, or somewhere between the two,
    void or nonvoid, concentration or distraction.

This dwelling upon nothing is the state in which it should dwell;
    those who attain to it are said to have nondwelling minds -
    in other words, they have Buddha-minds!

~Hui Hai,
    THE ESSENTIAL GATEWAY TO TRUTH
    BY MEANS OF INSTANTANEOUS AWAKENING

Blessings!
    It depends how one defines confusion. Here it is meant in the sense of a break down of order.
    Words can have many meanings.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), NancyV (5th November 2011), ROMANWKT (30th October 2011)

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Hi Pie, just talking from your own experience is refreshing...as the first paragraphs you wrote above prove. Keep to it and avoid lecturing, preachiness is vastly different than being with what you are writing. It isn't from the mind. Take the time to luxuriate in what you communicate. Is it your words or something you learned (from the head) is the best questing device (for communicating in written contextual ways).

lv
    eh

¤=[Post Update]=¤

I didn't make sense to others for the longest period...or so it feels now. And it was worth it. NOW I communicate freely and the words find me (rather than me focusing on the past and projecting into the future my ideas, judgements and pre-occupations).
    Last edited by Sierra; 5th November 2011 at 21:42. Reason: Corrected spelling

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EileenCookies For This Post:

Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), ROMANWKT (30th October 2011), Tony (30th October 2011)

18. Link to Post #10
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

hello Bob,
    In buddhism some things are not too precisely defined, so as to allow the practitioner to experience in their own way.
    In Tibetan one word can have many meanings.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), ROMANWKT (30th October 2011)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

I would throw out your ideas and focus intent on the present Pie, unless you just like to repeat something said and hence dead (in value).

Finding the cherish traditions of Tibetan nationals (through their practices) isn't relevant (as much as we like to believe it is).

Finding your way is the plan of action by focusing (your intent) on presence circumstances.

Tragically, traditional English cultures (which is us ...and Canada, etc.) are valueless in this realm of endeavors.

They (tend to) focus on the past and make (plans...past ideas projected onto supposed 'futures'...but really just stories we tell each other to keep each of us more in stuckness than in realities greatness) or generate complex solutions for non-existent realities. Why plan for a tomorrow that you are trying to avoid anyway? YOu could be here and present with reality and it will treat you as an awake aware being, verses a dead automaton.

Shifting into a reality perspective, where each moment is the treasure is my personal path. I don't make up information just to please someone's egoic mind projections.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EileenCookies For This Post:

Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), mahalall (3rd November 2011), Tony (30th October 2011)

22. Link to Post #12
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Dear Eileen

I can tell you are starting to like me...!

Love
    Tony

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

Buck (3rd November 2011), Gardener (3rd November 2011), Ineffable Hitchhiker (30th October 2011), Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), NancyV (5th November 2011), ROMANWKT (30th October 2011)

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 times in 518 posts

Letting go....of what?

We are all going to the same destination, but via different route, so I apologise for any confusion.
    If you continue to read on, and are still confused, be aware that it may not be reality that is a fault...it may be you! (thank you Douglas Adams)
    Marvin said (from the same Adams) "People talk obvious things"

OK, joke apart let go is a huge business. You'll say just let go and it's done, but each of us has a big backpack of beliefs, a huge box of fears and a lot of other huge things, so it's like digging the hole from somewhere you don't know where is to somewhere you also don't know where it is. Normally then we walk (or dig) in circles for many many lives and now we came here to the graduation party, and we are not sure if we pass the final exam or not. Let go would mean I passed.
    But let go what. An hour ago I was meditating a bit and after relaxation, calming the mind grinder at last, I started to walk among people in some city or town, listening their thinking, knowing what is happening but without understanding it. Waiting for a signal to be able to say aha, that's what I am here and nothing. It's happening all the time. And what I really want is some clue to be able to let go. To find a way to throw away the backpack, the box and all the other stuff. Well, it's called acceptance.

You see, Douglas Adams was right. Nothing is confused, just me.

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vibrations For This Post:

Buck (3rd November 2011), Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), Ineffable Hitchhiker (30th October 2011), Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), NancyV (5th November 2011), ROMANWKT (30th October 2011), Tony (30th October 2011)

26. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Hi vibrations, didn't understand if you like to go further and not just think 'acceptance'. It is a word and doesn't have any authority to make the changes you are mentioning going for. Suffering is a key to your experience of self. I would recommend sitting further and blinding yourself to the knowledge that you know anything. Then perhaps you will see you are fooling yourself further with utter nonsense.

eileen (spiritual teacher)

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EileenCookies For This Post:

Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), ROMANWKT (30th October 2011), Tony (31st October 2011)

28. Link to Post #15
    Wales Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by vibrations (here)
    Letting go....of what?

OK, joke apart let go is a huge business. You'll say just let go and it's done, but each of us has a big backpack of beliefs, a huge box of fears and a lot of other huge things, so it's like digging the hole from somewhere you don't know where is to somewhere you also don't know where it is. Normally then we walk (or dig) in circles for many many lives and now we came here to the graduation party, and we are not sure if we pass the final exam or not. Let go would mean I passed.
    But let go what. An hour ago I was meditating a bit and after relaxation, calming the mind grinder at last, I started to walk among people in some city or town, listening their thinking, knowing what is happening but without understanding it. Waiting for a signal to be able to say aha, that's what I am here and nothing. It's happening all the time. And what I really want is some clue to be able to let go. To find a way to throw away the backpack, the box and all the other stuff. Well, it's called acceptance.

Hi vibrations

You know , letting go could be as easy as acceptance.

Regards to you
    roman

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ROMANWKT For This Post:

Buck (3rd November 2011), Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), Tony (31st October 2011)

30. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by EileenCookies (here)
    Hi vibrations, didn't understand if you like to go further and not just think 'acceptance'. It is a word and doesn't have any authority to make the changes you are mentioning going for. Suffering is a key to your experience of self. I would recommend sitting further and blinding yourself to the knowledge that you know anything. Then perhaps you will see you are fooling yourself further with utter nonsense.

eileen (spiritual teacher)
    Yes, I told you the text is confusing (my text) but I let go the thoughts to flow and suddenly I realized that simple acceptance of ourselves is the key (or one of them). When you accept yourself as you are, the perspective changes. Accept it (whatever it is) and you can let it go. And one thing I don't believe in is suffering. Long ago I made an inner move and see that nothing bad ever was done to me - if it was painful it was because I allowed it. Having false expectations about other people behavior.
    But reading your words I would like to know more about what you are talking. As you didn't get what I was trying to say (maybe nobody did) I know just don't get everything from your words.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by vibrations (here)
    Letting go....of what?

Hi vibrations

You know , letting go could be as easy as acceptance.

Regards to you
    roman
    Thank you Roman, and you see "people talk obvious things"

regards

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vibrations For This Post:

Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), ROMANWKT (30th October 2011), Tony (31st October 2011)

32. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Hi vibrations,
    I did understand you (down to the bare bones)...much more than you even know yourself...only due to extensive research/training/education in this matter (to help prepare the way for our evoluationary change happening concurrently with our own self-evolutionary knowledge base....so hence the use of words verses just telepathically or even minor empathically (which I finally just got gifted).

You suffer. It is a fact. Wouldn't waste energy on searching or seeking. This is about being. For a change. Just feel the upliftment (and you are fine). Not feeling it? Stop and feel. Repeat (as long as necessary...whole year? ...took me that long).

eileen

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EileenCookies For This Post:

Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), ROMANWKT (30th October 2011), Tony (31st October 2011)

34. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Hi vibrations,
    I did understand you (down to the bare bones)...much more than you even know yourself...only due to extensive research/training/education in this matter (to help prepare the way for our evoluationary change happening concurrently with our own self-evolutionary knowledge base....so hence the use of words verses just telepathically or even minor empathically (which I finally just got gifted).

You suffer. It is a fact. Wouldn't waste energy on searching or seeking. This is about being. For a change. Just feel the upliftment (and you are fine). Not feeling it? Stop and feel. Repeat (as long as necessary...whole year? ...took me that long).

eileen
    Thank you Eileen. It's one of my problems, I try to understand everything with a logic of my own. I feel, but there is no click yet. Impatiens? Yes. But believe me, it's not serious. I love to participate in a discussions, sometimes just put another point of view. And about suffering, I would really doubt. Love.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vibrations For This Post:

Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), ROMANWKT (31st October 2011), Tony (31st October 2011)

36. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Yes, suffering. Don't believe or disbelieve. Rather just be and sit with 'stuff' as it happens. Then you see your are suffering all the time, just repressing. I can attest it happens. Regularly in your life, just from your words and the lack of enthusiam you have for living (it ways or preys on you). You suffer so much I am afraid you are on the verge of some bad times.

If this is the case, then rather than let the suffering be a way (of living), break from the old (habits) and find new avenues of expression (self awareness) to break old addictive habits....like naysaying.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EileenCookies For This Post:

Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), ROMANWKT (31st October 2011), Tony (31st October 2011)

38. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Yes, suffering. Don't believe or disbelieve. Rather just be and sit with 'stuff' as it happens. Then you see your are suffering all the time, just repressing. I can attest it happens. Regularly in your life, just from your words and the lack of enthusiam you have for living (it ways or preys on you). You suffer so much I am afraid you are on the verge of some bad times.

If this is the case, then rather than let the suffering be a way (of living), break from the old (habits) and find new avenues of expression (self awareness) to break old addictive habits....like naysaying.
    I won't say that I agree with everything you are saying, but there are accurate things in it. Thank you.

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vibrations For This Post:

Fred Steeves (1st November 2011), Lord Sidious (31st October 2011), NancyV (5th November 2011), ROMANWKT (30th October 2011), Tony (31st October 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast