+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Avalon internal conference Live chat with Bill Ryan

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Avalon internal conference Live chat with Bill Ryan

I had an Idea which I passed on to Bill Ryan about a Live interview with him and Avalon members.

Here is the idea (please feel free to make technical suggestions) Avalonians will gather in PA live chat at a specific time (likely weekend) and ask Bill questions while he is either in the Live chat or better yet on a live skype broadcast or some program like teamspeak and 1 person will ask him questions from the PA live chat and he can answer for all to hear.

Bill has said he would be willing to do this.

What I would like to know is:

1: Is this something Avalon members would be interested in ?
    2: Does anyone have webcasting technical knowledge? and can they explain how best this would work?

Avalon Internal Conference was Bills terminology - brilliant (specially since I was thinking of it as "this here live chat with Bill thingy"
    Formerly Known as Aztar
    Spectrum Radio Network co-Host

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Avalon internal conference

i think its a super idea aztar, and i hope you get feed back as to the techy side........skype works great for groups but if there is a better way then cool
    love
    m
    will sticky this for a couple of days
    Last edited by morguana; 26th June 2010 at 11:11.

3. Link to Post #3
    Norway Senior Administrator Tommy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,574 times in 371 posts

This sounds like a plan to me, our latest conference (almost the same concept except including whistleblowers) was a huge success, and I am sure Bill would have plenty of new and interesting info to share, probably more than enough for some hours of live broadcast alone

Go for it!

4. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Thanks Terra

Do you have any technical advise on how this can be achieved or what approach would be easier?
    Formerly Known as Aztar

5. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

There are service that you can use also, like Talkshoe and Blogtalkradio. While their audio quality is equivalent to phone line sound, they do have chat and multiple call in capabilities.
    Bill "the Doctor"
    "Tell me you plans! Oh one of these days that will work."
    - The 11th Doctor

6. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,035 times in 8,168 posts

Default Re: Aavalon internal conference Live chat with Bill Ryan

I don't have the know how to set it up but if it's a choice between a full bells and whistles service with lousy audio quality and a simple set up with decent and consistent audio quality, I'll go for the later. Some of those joint 'radio' shows were pretty horrible to listen to. My impression of Skype, so far, is that it doesn't deliver.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

7. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

It sounds like a wonderful idea and one i'd love to participate in.

Talkshoe would be a perfect fit, the main problem with conference calls is that everyones mic settings are different if you are looking to record it then you just need to take 5 minutes before hand just to make sure everyones levels are ok.

The Camelot one recently was almost unlistenable im afraid it had terrible sound quality.

8. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Default Re: Avalon internal conference Live chat with Bill Ryan

If its only going to be Bill and perhaps one other person you have the freedom to use almost any and all broadcasting systems online. Ustream for example could be worth a shot perhaps?

Sentience: Some of the speakers were using non-ideal call solutions, but saying it was " almost unlistenable" is a exaggeration I think, we had few (if none) complaints with users having trouble hearing the conference. (just look at the comments given on camelotforum during the live show).

We are asking people not to use skype for the next one on the 1st of July, that will solve many issues in itself in regard to audio.

Hence my best tip of the day: Do not use skype! (not for conferences and radio shows that is, Rebecca Jernigan also have the same experience in her many years of radio)
    Last edited by Tommy; 27th June 2010 at 22:36. Reason: added

9. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sentience (here)
    It sounds like a wonderful idea and one i'd love to participate in.

Talkshoe would be a perfect fit, the main problem with conference calls is that everyones mic settings are different if you are looking to record it then you just need to take 5 minutes before hand just to make sure everyones levels are ok.

The Camelot one recently was almost unlistenable im afraid it had terrible sound quality.
    I think there should only be 1 person asking Bill Questions that are posted in the PA chat room and if a mass chat service is used every mic except for the questioner should be Muted or perhaps better yet All mics except Bill's be Muted and Bill can just read the Questions in PA chat and answer what he likes. Perhaps 1 person can Assist Bill by Copy /Pasting each Question in a separate Private chat with bill (only once) to avoid members spamming their questions, thinking they are being ignored or worried that the chat window filled up and their question is not visible so they post it again.

The Ustream option is also interesting, anyone with technical knowledge?
    Formerly Known as Aztar

10. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Hi again,

Ustream is a rather simple setup, in fact I think Bill has used it before for something (not sure though, I might mix with something else). After configuring your ustream stream you will get an embed code for the stream, that can be integrated into any page or forum thread. As of experience trying to follow questions in a live chat with ton's of people (and I am sure there will be many!) is a exhausting and difficult task, so my recommendation is to start a dedicated thread were members post their questions and then Bill alone would be able to just refresh the thread and look for new questions without text rolling in light-speed over his screen.

I would love to help, but honestly I have no time to spare as of now, lots going on.. :s

I hope this can help

EDIT: Take a look at this page: http://camelotforum.com/index.php?op...id=2&Itemid=95
    (I know, long URL). You can see people asked questions during the live conference, and it was very simple for Rebecca and Kerry to follow the audience from there.
    Last edited by Tommy; 27th June 2010 at 23:18. Reason: added

11. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

1. Very cool idea -I'd be interested
    2. I got nothin...

12. Link to Post #12
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

In my experience with my friend Armake21, we tried stick cam,Jason Tv and ultimately ended on U-Stream, as he did the Armake21 show every Friday for almost a year, and he showed and played high end games that took a lot of buffering, and they were seen at full speed on even low end systems so for something as simple as this its a great Idea, HOWEVER! too many people in the U-stream chat will lag it badly so you will need to use the Avalon chat room to ask the Q n A, also then Bill can moderate as to what questions he wishes to answer.

13. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Sounds like UStream might be the way to go with this. Questions via PA chat as well as a special thread here is a great idea as well :}
    Formerly Known as Aztar

14. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,670 times in 1,986 posts

Quote Posted by Aztar (here)
    Sounds like UStream might be the way to go with this. Questions via PA chat as well as a special thread here is a great idea as well :}
    Via chat might get a bit messy if people start massively typing together ... If there would be a special page (can be developed) to enter a question it can automatically be categorized e.g.
    by anything you can think of ... this way the questions can be better organized in a database or so and retrieved in a controllable manner (like threads on a forum).

15. Link to Post #15
    Romania Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Aztar (here)
    Do you have any technical advise on how this can be achieved or what approach would be easier?
    I would suggest TeamSpeak3 as it is far superior to skype in audio quality and flexibility and it is available for all three major platforms Mac, Linux and Windows (at the same level in development), it has an easy and intuitive interface and it consumes less resources than skype. It has a very advanced administration system with advanced permision system (for server admins and ops) similar to UNIX/Linux permision system. Ts3 doesn't use users so you don't need to register anywhere to connect to a ts3 server, instead it uses an algorithm to generate (unique) private and public keys for every user. When you connect first the public key goes into server's database and the private key remains in your computer. Those two only combined work and the public key is useless without the private key, the using of the keys happens in background at client > server level you don't have to do anything. It is much like ssh connection using rsa key with small differences for those who know. Also every user has a generated unique id which is shown in ts3 at userinfo. You can set audio codec and quality for every channel and subchannel if you so wish, less quality less bandwidth consumed for those who don't afford. Maximum quality doesn't eat much bandwidth either. You won't have problems with noise as it has a great filter of background noise, you won't be disconnected from time to time because you're connected to dedicated server not through some company server to which they are millions connected. There are many public servers or we can setup one... or i can make available my own ts3 server for testing or maybe for more. These are just a few of the stuff about ts3 there is much more (for those who don't know ts). I wanted to open a thread about ts3 a few months ago to write in detail about this and suggest that to be used for conferences instead of skype. I ask Bill and admins to give it a chance and try it. If don't want to use it for the live chat at least you can use it for private conferences between admins and moderators. You will gain much more than using skype.

16. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Kra (here)
    I would suggest TeamSpeak3 as it is far superior to skype in audio quality and flexibility and it is available for all three major platforms Mac, Linux and Windows (at the same level in development), it has an easy and intuitive interface and it consumes less resources than skype. It has a very advanced administration system with advanced permision system (for server admins and ops) similar to UNIX/Linux permision system. Ts3 doesn't use users so you don't need to register anywhere to connect to a ts3 server, instead it uses an algorithm to generate (unique) private and public keys for every user. When you connect first the public key goes into server's database and the private key remains in your computer. Those two only combined work and the public key is useless without the private key, the using of the keys happens in background at client > server level you don't have to do anything. It is much like ssh connection using rsa key with small differences for those who know. Also every user has a generated unique id which is shown in ts3 at userinfo. You can set audio codec and quality for every channel and subchannel if you so wish, less quality less bandwidth consumed for those who don't afford. Maximum quality doesn't eat much bandwidth either. You won't have problems with noise as it has a great filter of background noise, you won't be disconnected from time to time because you're connected to dedicated server not through some company server to which they are millions connected. There are many public servers or we can setup one... or i can make available my own ts3 server for testing or maybe for more. These are just a few of the stuff about ts3 there is much more (for those who don't know ts). I wanted to open a thread about ts3 a few months ago to write in detail about this and suggest that to be used for conferences instead of skype. I ask Bill and admins to give it a chance and try it. If don't want to use it for the live chat at least you can use it for private conferences between admins and moderators. You will gain much more than using skype.
    Thanks for this

I'm also aware of teamspeaks qualities, I used it daily for years to run guildraids in Online games for 30+ people , not really sure how it might work for 100 or more though, but you could mute everyone except for Bill & 1 questioner.
    Formerly Known as Aztar

17. Link to Post #17
    Romania Deactivated
    Thanks

Yes but i assume you are refering to TeamSpeak2... i was talking about TeamSpeak3 which hasn't been released too many months ago. TeamSpeak3 has been rewritten completely from the ground it's all new written in C++ and QT4. I can't even compare ts2 with ts3.

edit: if i assumed wrong please excuse me.
    Last edited by Kra; 2nd July 2010 at 07:56.

18. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Kra (here)
    Yes but i assume you are refering to TeamSpeak2... i was talking about TeamSpeak3 which hasn't been released too many months ago. TeamSpeak3 has been rewritten completely from the ground it's all new written in C++ and QT4. I can't even compare ts2 with ts3.

edit: if i assumed wrong please excuse me.
    You are correct Sir, I spoke of TS2.
    I will read up on the new TS3 now that you have spoken of its new advancements
    Thanks
    Formerly Known as Aztar

19. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

sounds very much like you guys are getting somewhere hope to see this idea come to fruition in the not so distant future

20. Link to Post #20
    Australia Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Yeah okay great for some, I do not have a clue what your talking about except for skype for which, I have not a mic, that tech talk leaves me outside in the cold in the dark but that's cool, I didnt have questions anyway and if I did I would just PM Bill.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast