+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What Is A Shaman and What Does A Shaman Do?

1. Link to Post #141
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,307 times in 610 posts

Default Re: What Is A Shaman and What Does A Shaman Do?

Quote Posted by MariaDine (here)
    Hello Ishtar

Can you tell me anything about what I can do with a Unicorn and a Hummingbird ? Wink, Wink ..
    Love
    Maria

Er....no! Sorry!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ishtar For This Post:

Lisab (12th November 2011), Lord Sidious (12th November 2011), markoid (13th November 2011)

3. Link to Post #142
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

re: sidious's comment that the days are named for norse gods:

only in english Sidious! in thai they are named after "stars" and reflect the same relationship that we see in the west... i suspect it is older than babylon.
    Last edited by pwn_thyself; 12th November 2011 at 21:22. Reason: clarity

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pwn_thyself For This Post:

Calz (13th November 2011), Ishtar (12th November 2011), Lisab (13th November 2011), Lord Sidious (12th November 2011), markoid (13th November 2011), modwiz (12th November 2011)

5. Link to Post #143
    Thanks

Quote Posted by pwn_thyself (here)
    re: sidious's comment that the days are named for norse gods:

only in english Sidious! in thai they are named after "stars" and reflect the same relationship that we see in the west... i suspect it is older than babylon.
    Yes, sidereal astronomy (astronomy based on the 28 lunar mansions) in India and China is at least as old as that of the Babylonian star priests.

Interesting that the root word ''sid" means "seed", I always think. Hence the Sidhe ... (and I'm not sure about Lord SIDious... perhaps he knows. )

But can you tell us what the Fae/Sidhe are called in Thailand, pwn_thyself?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ishtar For This Post:

Calz (13th November 2011), Lisab (13th November 2011), Lord Sidious (12th November 2011), markoid (13th November 2011), modwiz (12th November 2011)

7. Link to Post #144
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

"Pi" is the term here, unless we're talking about the serpentine ones, who are "naga" - you'll like this Ishtar: "Pi" is the spirits and "Pi" is your elder- different tones (Thai is a tonal isolating language with 5 tones)
    One thing that is so amazing about living here is the "spirit houses" (baan pi) which are *everywhere* and rare is the thai who would deny the presence or power of those we share our world with but who aren't human. :-)

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pwn_thyself For This Post:

Calz (13th November 2011), Ishtar (12th November 2011), Lisab (13th November 2011), Lord Sidious (12th November 2011), markoid (13th November 2011), modwiz (13th November 2011)

9. Link to Post #145
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

Quote Animalspirit

I stand by everything I posted.

Is there anything that someone could state that would cause you to entertain the notion of not standing by what you say? Answer that one carefully.

From what you have posted, you are still in a Human box. I suggest that you look at what you wrote about stones and learn from that.

Considering I am not vegetable, mineral or animal I'm pretty sure most of us in this thread are having a human condition/ experience to various degrees.I never stated that I wasn't a human . I don't mind being a human. Clearly I sense your contempt for humanity, you've established that. I don't have any contempt for stones. I do notice by observation that they are not having the contempted human experience so I'm doubting their ability to be an expert at it. I do KNOW when I'm talking to a stone though, no doubts there. Somehow humans and their physicality is repellent to you but animals and stones inspite of their physical presence is not? I didn't undervalue the practice of working with stones. I just haven't assigned them a greater value than humans. or ...a lesser one.

People that try to find proof of their beliefs from either past times or science are allowing their mind/ego to take over and control their souls.

Lest you assume I am some woo-woo nut job, I hold a degree in (no you are establishing yourself very well on your own without my assumptions.)

Biology/Microbiology...so I probably understand some of this stuff better than you do.

This is what I don't understand: Someone who attempts to find proof in a belief via science is ego raddled yet one who establishes that they are an authority on microbiology, a science, is ....what? If science has no authority and is just another mechanism for the ego to play in why are you using it to establish YOUR statements?. See I never said anything about a belief in DNA I made a statement about what DNA expresses. One doesn't have to believe in DNA for it to express itself. One can look back in that past to find out why one's physical body is expressing certain attributes in...the now.

. It is part of the physical, not the spiritual. I don't know about you, but my soul drives my physical existence...not the other way around so physical stuff that seems important to some of you just doesn't bother me at all because it is merely a diversion.

I noted earlier up thread that the soul influences the physical body (that would include DNA) and the mechanism repsonsible for not allowing it to guide the physical body... but its clear to me that remark has no validity until you state it. Thank you for validating me. Unfortunately the soul permeates the physical body so its experiencing it as well but I doubt its the mechanism putting all these judgements on it.

I repeat: "Have the courage to look into the unknown without flinching

But things you don't understand bug you? .
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 13th November 2011 at 07:24.

10. Link to Post #146
    Thanks

In my view, science lost the plot when it threw out the baby with bathwater and decided that Spirit or gods could not possibly exist unless discoverable in a repeatable lab experiment using extremely limited instruments and tools. That's like deciding that if you can't tie up an ant with a rope, then that ant couldn't possibly exist. So while I also have studied biology and human biology to degree level and beyond, I don't put much weight on it.

Einstein got closer to the truth towards the end of his life when he admitted to several flashes of inspired revelation that he'd had while in a sort of trance state. He started to talk about the Field (energy) that governs matter (the body). This, I think, is what 9eagle9 means by

"Unfortunately the soul permeates the physical bod,y so it's experiencing it as well but I doubt it's the mechanism putting all these judgements on it." And so I agree with her.

Animalspirits, we don't need to be egoless. We need our egos to help us operate the necessary discrimination and judgement to run our lives effectively. This is the role of the ego. But ego without wisdom is a blunt sword which swings around indiscrimately and dangerously and blindly in a bid for self-preservation and self-glorification at the expense of others.

I also stand by my remarks on this earlier up the thread .... I wouldn't mention it, but there's been no improvement and thus very little positive contribution.
    Last edited by Ishtar; 13th November 2011 at 10:24.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ishtar For This Post:

Calz (13th November 2011), Lord Sidious (13th November 2011), markoid (13th November 2011), pwn_thyself (14th November 2011), Sebastion (13th November 2011)

12. Link to Post #147
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Hello Ishtar

Can you tell me anything about what I can do with a Unicorn and a Hummingbird ? Wink, Wink ..
    Love
    Maria
    Maria,

Yes, I can.

Both of these animals are powerful allies.

Unicorn often will meet and sit with you under a blooming fruit tree. Of course it brings love and protection. It does teach you something very valuable. It will teach you how to send an energy streams (such as healing, etc) outward in pulse form. You see energy streams are two way...outgoing and incoming. Unless you are very adept at protection when you send out any energy, anything that knows how can ride that stream back to you. If you learn to pulse the energy stream as you send it out, it creates tiny gaps in the stream and prevents someone or something from riding the stream back to you. It is quite easy to do this. Just form the intent to pulse the energy stream before you send it and it will happen. When something riding the stream back hits the gap, it assumes that it has reached the end of the stream.

Hummingbird brings joy and love. It also has several other very important teachings. It teaches you how to have endurance over long journeys or hardships. It will stay with you through thick and thin...and help you have the courage to face these long term issues. It uses its tiny beak like a laser to heal in places that other things are unable to reach. It is very successful in reaching the tiniest of places, especially when doing soul work and is of tremendous assistance in seeing issues that others will miss. It is an amazingly powerful animal helper.

Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by animalspirits; 13th November 2011 at 13:33. Reason: Correcting typos...because I can't type worth a crap and the print is too small for these old eyes. LOL

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to animalspirits For This Post:

Calz (13th November 2011), Ishtar (13th November 2011), Lisab (13th November 2011), Lord Sidious (13th November 2011), MariaDine (13th November 2011), markoid (13th November 2011), pwn_thyself (14th November 2011), Spirithorse (13th November 2011)

14. Link to Post #148
    Portugal Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,751 times in 1,168 posts

Thank you, anyway Isthar

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MariaDine For This Post:

Lisab (13th November 2011)

16. Link to Post #149
    Thanks

Thank you, anyway Isthar
    Maria,

I just answered your question. Hope it helps.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to animalspirits For This Post:

Ishtar (13th November 2011)

18. Link to Post #150
    Thanks

Animalspirits, thanks for that illuminating post.

Please tell us more about what I call 'power animals'.... where they're found, how to recognise one, how to differentiate your power animals when presented with a whole crowd of them on the shamanic jouirney, and the different qualities each one brings. For instance, my power animals are Lion and Python. What can you tell us about those?

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ishtar For This Post:

animalspirits (13th November 2011), Lord Sidious (13th November 2011), markoid (13th November 2011), pwn_thyself (14th November 2011), Spirithorse (13th November 2011)

20. Link to Post #151
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ishtar (here)
    In my view, science lost the plot when it threw out the baby with bathwater and decided that Spirit or gods could not possibly exist unless discoverable in a repeatable lab experiment using extremely limited instruments and tools. That's like deciding that if you can't tie up an ant with a rope, then that ant couldn't possibly exist. So while I also have studied biology and human biology to degree level and beyond, I don't put much weight on it.

Einstein got closer to the truth towards the end of his life when he admitted to several flashes of inspired revelation that he'd had while in a sort of trance state. He started to talk about the Field (energy) that governs matter (the body). This, I think, is what 9eagle9 means by

"Unfortunately the soul permeates the physical bod,y so it's experiencing it as well but I doubt it's the mechanism putting all these judgements on it." And so I agree with her.

Animalspirits, we don't need to be egoless. We need our egos to help us operate the necessary discrimination and judgement to run our lives effectively. This is the role of the ego. But ego without wisdom is a blunt sword which swings around indiscrimately and dangerously and blindly in a bid for self-preservation and self-glorification at the expense of others.

I also stand by my remarks on this earlier up the thread .... I wouldn't mention it, but there's been no improvement and thus very little positive contribution.
    I am through going back and forth with 9eagle9 and you over what is correct regarding a working shaman. There is no correct way...it is individual. Just because someone posts something different doesn't mean they are attacking you.

I don't believe that the people reading this thread are helped by pettiness. They are capable of seeing the wisdom of each person's posts and deciding for themselves.

I will, however, continue to post my views on what I believe is important regarding this thread. If you two want to tear up what I post, I really don't care. I believe that people reading the thread are perfectly capable of deciding for themselves what information they wish to retain.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to animalspirits For This Post:

pwn_thyself (14th November 2011)

22. Link to Post #152
    Thanks

Please tell us more about what I call 'power animals'.... where they're found, how to recognise one, how to differentiate your power animals when presented with a whole crowd of them on the shamanic jouirney, and the different qualities each one brings. For instance, my power animals are Lion and Python. What can you tell us about those?
    Yes, I can but I have to feed the Dog first. Don't like the look She is giving me. LOL *animalspirits padding off to feed the Dog*

23. Link to Post #153
    Thanks

Animalspirits, I'm very glad to hear that you're through with going back and forth with myself and 9eagle9 over what is 'correct' regarding a working shaman, because it's not a subject that fits into the ethos and purpose of this thread which is to help people who'd never heard of, or only knew a little about, shamanism and shamanic healing to learn more about how it can help them heal and become more empowered. As shamanism and various modalities of shamanic healing constitute such a vast and deep subject, we don't have time to argue with each other on what you rightly say is petty.

I hope you continue to post in here by playing to your strengths, which is obviously your work with animal spirits and which many people following this thread will greatly benefit from knowing more about.
    Last edited by Ishtar; 13th November 2011 at 14:20.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ishtar For This Post:

animalspirits (13th November 2011), Calz (13th November 2011), Lord Sidious (13th November 2011), markoid (13th November 2011), pwn_thyself (14th November 2011), Sebastion (13th November 2011), Spirithorse (13th November 2011)

25. Link to Post #154
    Thanks

Having the understanding that we are tearing up concepts and ideas. No one owns an idea so one shouldn't be bothered if the idea is fully broken down to find the opposing values. The truth doesn't contradict itself. If it does I should not bother to seek it, I can find all the contradictions I need right now. That's all we've ever been given is contradictions. Most anyone if they are paying attention notices contradictions.

When our concepts become personal and we put our identity in them we feel as we are being torn up. We are supposed maintain a certain sort of sovereignty not be be absorbed by a thoughtform. That's verging on possession.

Are we establishing here that we are shamans or are we attempting to establish that everyone has a shamanic expression ? In establishing rigidly what a shamanic expression is we risk excluding others from their shamanic expression. It doesn't equate some prejudicied established value so they don't give what they are expressing any merit .

One's position can defend itself without personal involvement. One can be a shaman without wrapping their identity in it. One attempts to show that a shaman is tearing down walls not erecting them.

If one's beleif system collapses under a few questions I'd imagine it wasn't a sturdy structure to begin with. If a belief system collapses it shouldn't take the holder of the belief down with it; if it does, we may wrapping our self identity in a belief instead of where it truly lies at.

Does the soul need a belief system ?

Or do our lower form selves require it.

The idea of system busting is sooo venerated , its the basis of all the alternative spirtual and media forums. Until someone starts busting up our systems then its petty and wrong. Again if we detach ourselves from the belief we don't busted up along with the belief.

26. Link to Post #155
    Portugal Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,751 times in 1,168 posts

Quote Posted by animalspirits (here)
    Hello Ishtar

Love
    Maria
    Maria,

Yes, I can.

Both of these animals are powerful allies.

Unicorn often will meet and sit with you under a blooming fruit tree. Of course it brings love and protection. It does teach you something very valuable. It will teach you how to send an energy streams (such as healing, etc) outward in pulse form. You see energy streams are two way...outgoing and incoming. Unless you are very adept at protection when you send out any energy, anything that knows how can ride that stream back to you. If you learn to pulse the energy stream as you send it out, it creates tiny gaps in the stream and prevents someone or something from riding the stream back to you. It is quite easy to do this. Just form the intent to pulse the energy stream before you send it and it will happen. When something riding the stream back hits the gap, it assumes that it has reached the end of the stream.

Hummingbird brings joy and love. It also has several other very important teachings. It teaches you how to have endurance over long journeys or hardships. It will stay with you through thick and thin...and help you have the courage to face these long term issues. It uses its tiny beak like a laser to heal in places that other things are unable to reach. It is very successful in reaching the tiniest of places, especially when doing soul work and is of tremendous assistance in seeing issues that others will miss. It is an amazingly powerful animal helper.

Hope this helps you.
    Thank you ANIMALSPIRITS
    The INFO is great help.
    I haven't had, so far, come across any Shaman. I'm ignorant of the Lore and I find the web info very contraditory .
    I really appreciated your answer. i wish i could go deeper in the issue and learn more how to work with power animals.

Love
    Maria
    Last edited by MariaDine; 13th November 2011 at 14:52.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MariaDine For This Post:

Ishtar (13th November 2011), Lord Sidious (13th November 2011), markoid (13th November 2011)

28. Link to Post #156
    Thanks

Ishtar,

Let me start this off by saying that this post reflects how I do my work. Each shaman does their work individually and I don’t expect anyone to do it this way…so no need to defend your differences.

I am making an assumption here (probably my bad) based on your use of the term "power animal"...that you have or are familiar with the Harner method of shamanism. I am also, having had friends that sponsored their workshops (and I was able to take several decades ago for free). I took all the courses they offered, including soul retrieval. I have worked with Native Shamans. That said, all of the real knowledge I have received came from the animals, plants, stones, etc. themselves. Once I realized that all I had to do was to communicate with the actual spirit, my abilities really took off.

This is based on my direct contact with animal spirits, in this case. I also work with plants, stones, etc. I am open to help from the spirit that wishes to assist.

One can have from one to hundreds of lifelong animal spirits. The terms “power animals”, “totems” and “lifelong animal spirits” all refer to the same thing. If one is adept at talking to spirits, they can call on any one of them for assistance when doing their healing/shamanic work…which is what I do.

Inasmuch as they are spirits, they reside in the spirit world. I am able to see both this world and the spirit world at the same time...I see them as superimposed over each other. I can also enter an altered state of consciousness at will and don’t have to have drumming or anything special to do this. I do have certain animal spirits that I work more closely with and have all my life. They include (but are not limited to): Black Jaguar, Orca, Crow, Coyote (named Yotee), Dog, Cougar, Snake (Cobra), Owl, Wolf, Australian Sea Eagle, and others.

If I am doing work, the spirit(s) that wish (es) to help will either come before or right as I am beginning the work. You are correct that sometimes they make up a crowd. If that happens, I ask which one or ones have come to help and they will step forward. I always trust them. The others will step back or fade away. I always thank all of them for coming.

I don’t have a particular way of telling if they are with me other than talking to them which I have been doing since I was a child. I thought everyone could see and talk to spirits. I was born in a time when this ability would have resulted in a very quick residence to the funny farm, so I never told anyone. Still don’t know how I knew to do that.

If I discussed each of mine, this would be even longer so I won’t unless something asks about one, then I will be happy to. Just trying to keep this short (which it doesn’t look like I am succeeding in doing) and still answer your questions.

Lion: Strength, courage, energy and self-fulfillment. It teaches one the value of strong family ties and how to recognize and let go of stress.

Snake (Python): Snake represents physical change rather than spiritual change. Usually when it comes, it means that the person is about to undergo a significant physical change. This can include relocation of their home. It can mean they are about to undergo surgery or the removal of something physical from their physical body. Since Pythons use squeezing as a means of acquiring food, they will also tend to squeeze the issue out of the person. This would involve a tightening of the whole physical body. I would see it shamanically as the body becoming denser and a size change in the body. In order for the problem to exit the body, it would look to me as though they were vomiting it out. When this happens, I know they got rid of what they needed to get out of their physical body.

For me, Cobra works slightly differently which I can discuss if you want me too.

…Hope I answered your questions. If not, ask more and I will try again.

…Use if this helps, if it doesn’t just disregard it…no worries from me.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to animalspirits For This Post:

Calz (13th November 2011), Ishtar (13th November 2011), Lord Sidious (13th November 2011), markoid (13th November 2011), Spirithorse (13th November 2011)

30. Link to Post #157
    Thanks

What are mine?

anyone? Anyone who observes me or interacts with me on a fairly regular basis could tell.

31. Link to Post #158
    Thanks

Thank you, Animalspirits. Very interesting.

You correctly identified the Harner term 'power animal' and I find it quite relevant to me because sometimes I shapeshift into my Lion or Python and find that this empowers me. I begun my training in the Harner method but as soon as I started to get into touch with my spirit guides ~ both animal and human form ~ they led me away from it to teach me in their own way, and through this, I have come to have some differences with Harner's method, but anyway, that's probably a subject for another time because it will take us into another whole area of shamanism which is massive in itself. But as you say: "Once I realized that all I had to do was to communicate with the actual spirit, my abilities really took off." And I would add to that, once I realised how much I could trust them and how all-knowing they are, they very quickly became "the wind beneath my wings".

Thanks for your interpretations of Lion and Python. They are my main two animals, (I have several others) and they act as a very strong protection if I have to go into some 'bad' places to remove energy in the wrong place.

Yes, I would be interested to hear more about Cobra, if you've got the time.

Thank you!

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by 9eagle9 (here)
    What are mine?

anyone? Anyone who observes me or interacts with me on a fairly regular basis could tell.
    Well.... dare I hazard a guess as to ....hmmmm...let me think now.....EAGLE?

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ishtar For This Post:

Calz (13th November 2011), Lord Sidious (13th November 2011), MariaDine (13th November 2011), markoid (13th November 2011), ulli (13th November 2011)

33. Link to Post #159
    Thanks

Quote Posted by 9eagle9 (here)
    What are mine?

I never look at anyone's soul or the animals interacting with them unless I am working on them...and certainly not to prove I can do it. It is a violation of your personal space and boundaries.

If someone suspects they have a certain animal around them and tells me the animal, sometimes I can verify it for them. Other times, the animal either does not want me to know or feels it is none of my business. It is always up to the animal spirit, not the person.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to animalspirits For This Post:

Calz (13th November 2011), Lord Sidious (13th November 2011), markoid (13th November 2011)

35. Link to Post #160
    Thanks

Thank you, Ishtar for this thread. Your research is fascinating and incredibly thorough.
    There is, however, only so far you can go with information available in the English language. The deepest crevices of the shamanic 'his'story is not widely available in the West. Maybe it is just as well. Too much has been damaged and twisted and misused by the tptw (the powers that were).
    The original oral traditions of shamanism goes back 10's of thousands of years BC, and before the word 'shaman' was adopted in the West, they were really called "khan", "han", "chan" or the variation of those vowels/sounds. These universal sounds show up not only in Central and Eastern Asia, but even in the Mayan language: i.e "Kukulkan". The knowledge and practices of these interdimensional humans made it to the West in the form of the druid traditions.

I am so delighted to know, that this tradition is alive, in spite of all the horrid attempts to 'kill' it. It is great proof for us now to observe, that Light can not be 'killed'. We live in a Universe of 'Light construct' (i.e. our Sun), so there is no need to give power to the ones who keep attempting to 'kill' or box in Light. It is simply impossible. We entered into Duality, to be challenged to the n-th degree, so we can become Creators of Light. We are well on our way!

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redlotus For This Post:

Calz (13th November 2011), Ishtar (13th November 2011), Lord Sidious (13th November 2011), markoid (13th November 2011), pwn_thyself (14th November 2011), Spirithorse (13th November 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 8 9 LastLast