+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Report: Military losing the Battle Against Suicide

1. Link to Post #21

Default Re: New Report: Military losing the Battle Against Suicide

I had a grandfather who served for the confederacy in the Civil War, an uncle who served for the Union, a grandfather who served in the Spanish American & World War I, a grandfather who was medic & a cousin killed on Anzio Beach in World War II, and my father served in the Korea Conflict (War).

I recently read in the newspaper -that a young Native American man MIA in Korea who died (starved to death in captivity); they just brought his bones back to his people.

A friend of mine that was special forces during Viet Nam, went AWOL just after he was honorably discharged -the military had a man hunt out for him. He said they keep tabs on us and if they don't know where we are or what we are doing -they look for us.

Had another friend who was in Viet Nam who guarded a Good Year factory, another who did special ops for the Sundt Co.

Many, many friends who have PTSD..... in all sorts of forms

Nora

we are all related
    Last edited by Guest; 6th November 2011 at 20:22. Reason: addition

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Post:

161803398 (6th November 2011), Eagle (6th November 2011), jackovesk (6th November 2011), Lord Sidious (6th November 2011), Maia Gabrial (6th November 2011)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,151 times in 3,856 posts

Quote Re: New Report: Military losing the Battle Against Suicide
    Posted by Maia Gabrial (here)

Re: New Report: Military losing the Battle Against Suicide
    Posted by Maia Gabrial (here)

I agree with Dig, many now go into the military for a different reason, and the economic advantage is a leading one... with college paid and an opportunity for training in a nation that it is becoming harder and harder to get a leg up out of middle class and lower economic middle classes. In essence we have a force of paid mercenaries now. The patriotic thing is less applicable due to the monetary motivating factor for many.
    I believe this is why high unemployement and no jobs were created, so that people have few options but to join the service as a means to pay bills, take care of their families, go to college, etc. Doesn't it sound like manipulation to you?
    I know a few less fortunate people who believe it is their only option, and yet others who think they'll derive some sort of honour from it. But no, mostly the former. "At least they'll teach me something I can use when I leave"... yeah, if you still have your limbs, your life, your sanity.
    Call me a dummy, but I thought that way about learning a trade from the service, too. As impressive as my service record and trainings were, it didn't get me jack sh** in the civilian world. Of course, Vietnam era veterans were given a hard time from the moment they got home. They didn't get the hero's welcome. All you had to do was say that you had served in that war and there went your chances.....Many ended up homeless and/or forgotten as a fine thank you. I'm glad that the Afghanistan and Iraqi War veterans are getting more respect than we did.

I'm also glad that some of these veterans have seen the truth about what the US has REALLY been doing in these wars. They're speaking out to as many people as they can.... I think when the real "Sleeping Giant" awakens (and yes, I believe this refers to the unaware people in this country), THEN all of those corrupted officials all the way to POTUS will finally be brought to justice. They're so fond of ignoring or trying to do away with the Constitution, I wonder how they'd feel if they were brought to justice without THEIR Constitutional rights...? I bet they'd be screaming for them....Funny, huh?
    Maia, whenever I read your posts I would have trouble thinking of you as average, never mind dumb. When a conman tricks somebody, the shame is always his and not the victims. You got jack **** on Civvy Street and that's their fault for their duplicity, not yours.
    Thanks. I really appreciate it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maia Gabrial For This Post:

58andfixed (7th November 2011), Seikou-Kishi (7th November 2011)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,151 times in 3,856 posts

Quote A friend of mine that was special forces during Viet Nam, went AWOL just after he was honorably discharged -the military had a man hunt out for him. He said they keep tabs on us and if they don't know where we are or what we are doing -they look for us.
    I only suspected that we were being watched.... I didn't get into the VA system until 2005. Now they can track me a whole lot better....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maia Gabrial For This Post:

Lord Sidious (6th November 2011)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 times in 432 posts

http://www.stacybannerman.com/

"Citizen soldiers have served the longest tours-of-duty in Iraq."

"These “weekend warriors” and their families pay a heavy price. National Guard soldiers have far higher rates of post-combat stress, marriage problems, and financial issues, including the loss of homes and civilian jobs, than their active duty counterparts."

"The families left behind are often isolated and alone, struggling without the support and services available to military families residing on post."

"When the War Came Home chronicles the impact of operationalizing the forces that were intended to function as strategic reserves, and provides a personal account of Stacy’s home front experience as she protests a war that her husband is fighting."

"At the heart of this powerful story of service, sacrifice, and speaking out is the question:"

"What constitutes support for the troops, and when does it begin - before war is declared, during deployment, or after they come home?"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 58andfixed For This Post:

Lord Sidious (6th November 2011)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 times in 432 posts

Aaron Glantz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Glantz

an American journalist and author.

Since 2003, his principal focus has been on the war in Iraq and its effects on American military personnel.

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/10/..._after_service

Aaron Glantz, reporter with the Bay Citizen.

His article 'After Service, Veteran Deaths Surge' appeared in the New York Times.

http://www.baycitizen.org/veterans/s...-deaths-surge/

http://uprisingradio.org/home/?p=1871

The War Comes Home Project

http://www.dailycal.org/article/102998/

Suicide of Army Veteran, Senior Shocks Family

http://ipsnews.net/new_focus/aaron/

Stories by Aaron Glantz

The War Comes Home: Washington's Battle Against America's Veterans
    by Aaron Glantz

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...ntz/1012561153

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 58andfixed For This Post:

11. Link to Post #26

Quote Posted by Maia Gabrial (here)
    Quote A friend of mine that was special forces during Viet Nam, went AWOL just after he was honorably discharged -the military had a man hunt out for him. He said they keep tabs on us and if they don't know where we are or what we are doing -they look for us.
    I only suspected that we were being watched.... I didn't get into the VA system until 2005. Now they can track me a whole lot better....
    Yes they do..... VA is one way

My friend communicated a lot with me.

My friend had a friend that was there too -who wrote a book & documented and storied everything-....my friend was helping him...... he said he didn't publish it & then died.... he said last he had heard the book either got vaulted somewhere or just disappeared....

My friend was like a Ghost.... & brilliant -a quality into human & beyond -he taught me a lot..... he didn't put me threough boot camp..... he knew things at a great depth..... he met me where I was at.... started horizontally then vertically going bottom to top..... took me time to integrate & assimilate -assemble to whole... I don't know if this makes any sense at all... sitting here writing word on a computer doesn't do any of justice but it is what we have now....

So -a true warrior bows to no one and expects no one to bow to him..... but I bow to you guys.... whether you have been to war or not

Thank you 58andFixed for the book will download it to my e-book or buy in in paper

Nora

we are all related
    Last edited by Guest; 6th November 2011 at 22:29.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Post:

58andfixed (7th November 2011), Lord Sidious (6th November 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2