+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Dark Side of Wheat

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,209 times in 1,064 posts

Default The Dark Side of Wheat

With the holidays approaching I thought I'd offer this very enlightening article explaining why the normal human body's response to eating wheat IS Celiac Disease! And although most of us don't respond that fully to the toxins in wheat, we still need to stay away from it because it is a huge contributing factor to all of the 'affluent diseases'.

You don't need to get diarrhea to be concerned.

Also, the article explains why bread seems to be so hard to quit...

To your good health!

The Dark Side of Wheat

Snippets:

"If we view celiac disease not as an unhealthy response to a healthy food, but as a healthy response to an unhealthy food, classical CD symptoms like diarrhea may make more sense. Diarrhea can be the body’s way to reduce the duration of exposure to a toxin or pathogen, and villous atrophy can be the body’s way of preventing the absorption and hence, the systemic effects of chronic exposure to wheat.

I believe we would be better served by viewing the symptoms of CD as expressions of bodily intelligence rather than deviance. We must shift the focus back to the disease trigger, which is wheat itself."

"It is possible that celiac disease represents both an extreme reaction to a global, species-specific intolerance to wheat that we all share in varying degrees. CD symptoms may reflect the body’s innate intelligence when faced with the consumption of a substance that is inherently toxic."

"In a previous article, I discussed the role that wheat plays as an industrial adhesive (e.g. paints, paper mache’, and book binding-glue) in order to illustrate the point that it may not be such a good thing for us to eat. The problem is implicit in the word gluten, which literally means “glue” in Latin and in words like pastry and pasta, which derives from wheatpaste, the original concoction of wheat flour and water which made such good plaster in ancient times."

"Grains have been heralded since time immemorial as the “staff of life,” when in fact they are more accurately described as a cane, precariously propping up a body starved of the nutrient-dense, low-starch vegetables, fruits, edible seeds and meats, they have so thoroughly supplanted (c.f. Paleolithic Diet). Most of the diseases of affluence, e.g. type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, cancer, etc. can be linked to the consumption of a grain-based diet, including secondary “hidden sources” of grain consumption in grain-fed fish, poultry, meat and milk products. Our modern belief that grains make for good food, is simply not supported by the facts."

"Even animals like cows with a head start of thousands of years, having evolved to graze on monocotyledons and equipped as ruminants with the four-chambered fore-stomach enabling the breakdown of cellulose and anti-nutrient rich plants, are not designed to consume grains. Cows are designed to consume the sprouted mature form of the grasses and not their seed storage form. Grains are so acidic/toxic in reaction that exclusively grain-fed cattle are prone to developing severe acidosis and subsequent liver abscesses and infections, etc. Feeding wheat to cattle provides an even greater challenge:

Seeds, after all, are the "babies" of these plants, and are invested with not only the entire hope for continuance of its species, but a vast armory of anti-nutrients to help it accomplish this task: toxic lectins, phytates and oxalates, alpha-amalyase and trypsin inhibitors, and endocrine disrupters. These not so appetizing phytochemicals enable plants to resist predation of their seeds, or at least preventing them from "going out without a punch." "

"With up to a 50% increase in gluten content of some varieties of wheat, it is amazing that we continue to consider “glue-eating” a normal behavior, whereas wheat-avoidance is left to the “celiac” who is still perceived by the majority of health care practitioners as mounting a “freak” reaction to the consumption of something intrinsically wholesome."

"The remainder of this article will demonstrate the following adverse effects of wheat on both celiac and non-celiac populations: 1) wheat causes damage to the intestines 2) wheat causes intestinal permeability 3) wheat has pharmacologically active properties 4) wheat causes damage that is “out of the intestine” affecting distant organs 5) wheat induces molecular mimicry 6) wheat contains high concentrations of excitotoxins."

You may also be interested in the very real connection between wheat and weight/health.

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
    Last edited by nearing; 12th November 2011 at 03:37.
    "In science, I discovered, you cannot find the Truth."
    --Marcel Messing (during an interview with Bill Ryan)

We demand Tesla technology

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nearing For This Post:

Ethereal Blue Being (12th November 2011), GlassSteagallfan (14th November 2011), Kerrigan (12th November 2011), ketturah (14th November 2011), Muzz (14th November 2011), percival tyro (12th November 2011), seko (12th November 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: The Dark Side of Wheat

thank you nearing for this post.. I agree with you ..Wheat is a poison especially for certain bloodtypes. I dont handle it well at all so rarely eat it. and there are so many wheat derivitives with unusual names that sould be avoided as well... people need to be aware of these..Dr Peter D'Adamo book"Eat Right For Your Type" (refering to blood type) and his most recent "The Genome Diet " are brilliant on wheat info.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal Blue Being For This Post:

GlassSteagallfan (14th November 2011), ketturah (14th November 2011), nearing (12th November 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,209 times in 1,064 posts

I do think there is something to eating for your type. There wouldn't be different blood types if it weren't significant for something.

I am also beginning to think that a combination of the Paleo and Raw diets with heavy emphasis on organic vegetables is the best diet for everyone generally (tweaked per individual type).

The era of convenience foods starting in the 50's is what really brought us the diet-induced chronic diseases of our time.
    "In science, I discovered, you cannot find the Truth."
    --Marcel Messing (during an interview with Bill Ryan)

We demand Tesla technology

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nearing For This Post:

Ethereal Blue Being (13th November 2011), GlassSteagallfan (14th November 2011), Holly Lindin (12th November 2011), ketturah (14th November 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,544 times in 2,615 posts

I think the main cause of issues in wheat today is that it has been so incredibly altered that it is not the wheat of yester-year. This has been done not with GM seed but through hybridization...and organic has nothing to do with it either...

Look to heirloom varieties. There are a few places that still raise and sell heirloom variety of wheat.

This link will explain it all

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/09/20/o...ke-you-skinny/
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 14th November 2011 at 15:22.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

GlassSteagallfan (14th November 2011), shamanseeker (14th November 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 times in 267 posts

In ancient times, its quite remarkable how they knew of this without any labs to test the foods they were eating. They knew if they ate something (let's just say wheat in this case) to eat another herb that would literally destroy the excitotoxins and protect the organs while ingesting making the food nourishing and not harmful. They also knew to sprout their grains before eating, thus creating the necessary enzymes to digest it properly.

The reason we are allergic to so many foods today is because we are missing the necessary components to digest along with them - I truly believe in food combining, and eating as pure as possible. Processed foods are no longer food, to me thats a no brainer if we react to it. Wheat now is bleached, sugar is refined to the point where its no longer sugar and we don't sprout anything!

For grains, try to find ancient ones (spelt, buckwheat, etc) and sprout your white rice /beans before eating. It will make SUCH a difference you wont believe it. I also drink Kefir with my meals and assist the enzyme count with a shot of barley/alfalfa grass juice.

Much love and healthy eatings xo

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zillah For This Post:

conk (14th November 2011), Eagle (14th November 2011), GlassSteagallfan (14th November 2011), shamanseeker (14th November 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member ketturah's Avatar
    Thanks

Two and a half years ago, I had a celiac panel blood test run on my daughter. She was very high on antigliadin (normal 10 or less, she was over 100). Her symptoms were very bad stomach aches and migraines her whole life (she was 8 at the time). It took 4 doctors and 2 years of misdiagnosis to come to the conclusion of wheat/gluten free diet. She also has other food allergies, including a serious peanut allergy. ( I believe vaccinations caused her food allergies).

I also went gluten free when she did. I feel much better myself and I lost weight unintentionallly. I have a family history of very young deaths in my family. My Grandmother on my mother's side died at 48 from some unidentified retroperitoneal cancer. My mother died at 57, also of cancer, after a life time of stomach issues that were undiagnosed. She also had bypass surgery at 47. I have often wondered if both my Grandmother and Mother were Gluten intolerant/Celiac, and went undiagnosed.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ketturah For This Post:

GlassSteagallfan (14th November 2011), shamanseeker (14th November 2011)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member ketturah's Avatar
    Thanks

I also found it curious that Chelsea Clinton's wedding was Gluten Free. Maybe they Know something that we don't know?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ketturah For This Post:

GlassSteagallfan (14th November 2011)

+ Reply to Thread