+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SAFETY ALERT: On 'Energy Saving Bulbs' (Warning - Graphic Images)

1. Link to Post #1
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Default SAFETY ALERT: On 'Energy Saving Bulbs' (Warning - Graphic Images)

Safety Alert from External Sources ENERGY SAVING BULBS..!

***WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES***

Safety Alert #: EX SA 013

Energy Saving Bulbs have been in existence for a long time now. As the name indicates, these bulbs are more effective as compared to an ordinary bulb in terms of power consumption. Most of us are currently using these bulbs in order to save on electricity consumption and ultimately the electricity bill!

Energy Saving Bulbs will come in different shapes on the market with different ratings in terms of Voltage or Watts and they will definitely save our pockets especially that, we are buying electricity in our respective houses.

Some Health and Safety issues on these Low – Energy Light Bulbs

However. these types of bulbs, if broken, cause serious danger.

• If one breaks, everybody will have to leave the room for at least 15 minutes, because it contains Mercury (poisonous) which causes migraine, disorientation, imbalances and different other health problems, when inhaled.
    • It causes many people with allergies, severe skin conditions and other diseases just by touching this substance or inhaling it.
    • Do NOT clean the debris of the broken bulb with a vacuum cleaner, because it would spread the contamination to other rooms in the house when using the vacuum cleaner again.
      It must be cleaned up with a normal broom or brush be kept in a sealed bag and disposed of
      right away from the house in a bin for hazardous materials.
    WARNING: Mercury is dangerous, more poisonous than lead or Arsenic!

Below is the advice on what to do if a Low – energy light bulb breaks be it at home or areas where these bulbs can be found:

1. Evacuate the room, taking care not to step on the shards of glass littering the floor
    2. Do not use a vacuum cleaner to clear up the mess as the machines sucking action could spread toxic mercury droplets around the house.
    3. Put on Rubber gloves and sweep the debris onto the dustpan
    4. Place the remains in a plastic bag and seal it.
    5. Do not put the plastic in a normal household bin.
    6. Instead, place it in a municipal recycling bin for batteries which also contain mercury or take it to a council dump where it can be disposed of safely. As LMC Residents, we can make use of separate Black Refuse Plastic Bags with emphasis on advice number 5 above.
    7. Try not to inhale dust from the broken bulb.
    Attached is photo’s from a person who stepped onto a broken bulb on the 10″‘ February 2011, and his foot got infected with mercury poisoning!

PDF Download EX_SA_013_Energy_Saving_Bulbs_Warning
    http://philosophers-stone.co.uk/word...bs_Warning.pdf

http://philosophers-stone.co.uk/word...raphic-images/

2. Link to Post #2
    Australia Avalon Member wolf_rt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 times in 418 posts

Default Re: SAFETY ALERT: On 'Energy Saving Bulbs' (Warning - Graphic Images)

The worst part is they aren't even saving energy

This article is the best treatment of the subject i have seen, its a bit long, but look for the interesting headings (also a awesome site if your into DIY Hi-fi)
    http://sound.westhost.com/articles/incandescent.htm

These light-bulbs:
    Take more energy to make
    use rare minerals in there construction
    use mercury
    aren't dim-able
    emit EMF
    cause severe problems to the power grid, > http://sound.westhost.com/lamps/technote3.pdf

What a joke.....

Here in Australia you can buy Halogen bulbs, which are more efficient when you consider all the factors. I believe they are also about 1/2 the price... definitely the way to go.
    Last edited by wolf_rt; 12th November 2011 at 13:20.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wolf_rt For This Post:

Caren (12th November 2011), Cjay (12th November 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (12th November 2011), jackovesk (13th November 2011), ktlight (12th November 2011), Lettherebelight (12th November 2011), shamanseeker (12th November 2011)

4. Link to Post #3
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 times in 838 posts

Funny how you don't see any safety warnings printed on the sides of the boxes these bulbs come in....

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jcocks For This Post:

Caren (12th November 2011), Cjay (12th November 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (12th November 2011), jackovesk (13th November 2011), jjjones (13th November 2011), ktlight (12th November 2011), Lettherebelight (12th November 2011)

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Lazlo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,735 times in 581 posts

My experience has been that they don't last as long as advertised either. Last week I did something that I haven't done in several years:

I bought incandescent bulbs.
    Just because I took the red pill, it doesn't mean that I washed it down with the koolaid

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lazlo For This Post:

Caren (12th November 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (12th November 2011), jackovesk (13th November 2011), jjjones (13th November 2011), ktlight (12th November 2011)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 times in 1,148 posts

Quoting myself from my post in this thread on the dangers of Compact Fluorescent Lights:
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post223729

Quote Another example of governments forcing us to use something that's bad for us. Oh but it will save us money. Yeah, our lives will be shorter - that will save us money too.

CFLs contain about 5 grams of mercury - bad news for our health if they leak or break.
    CFLs emit very high amounts of electromagnetic radiation - more bad news for our health.
    CFLs cause "dirty electricity" - more bad news. What is "dirty electricity"? The first video explains it simply. More on this in my next post.

Modern Eugenics Exposed - CFL light bulbs are poisoning us

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HMvjA8Db5ZY

Health Effects - Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

https://youtube.com/watch?v=upmLJM2VTlM

...and a light-hearted look at a serious issue - mercury in CFLs

Compact Florescent Light Bulbs: The Truth

https://youtube.com/watch?v=BqrCij6CbHA

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

Aetheric Traveler (12th November 2011), aranuk (12th November 2011), Caren (12th November 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (12th November 2011), jackovesk (13th November 2011)

10. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

I recently bought an embarrassing amount of incandescent bulbs, enough to last for years and years. The clerk commented on the huge quantity. Told her I had a big house. :D

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Caren (12th November 2011), Earth Angel (13th November 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (12th November 2011), jackovesk (13th November 2011), ktlight (12th November 2011), Lazlo (12th November 2011), Spirithorse (12th November 2011), winnasboy (12th November 2011)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Wow, I wondered how good these were in terms of EMF and now I know. The next thing I'll be doing is getting rid of all the CFLs in the house and replacing them with regular bulbs.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aetheric Traveler For This Post:

Caren (12th November 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (12th November 2011)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,316 times in 10,234 posts

Quote Posted by Lazlo (here)
    My experience has been that they don't last as long as advertised either. Last week I did something that I haven't done in several years:

I bought incandescent bulbs.
    People buy by price due to limited funds. their depth of understanding of each culture and environment is also sadly lacking.

One of the biggest problem in china today is counterfeit components (internal bits in devices)

Another problem is not having the actual experience and/or 'lore' in China, for observant and educated decisions on and in component design challenges.

Lack of this sort of knowledge leads to poor and uninformed decisions in crisis moments or economic considerations (surrounding manufacturing decisions) ... and also as considered in the component purchasing, design and final or actual complex product build stages. (like a bulb, which is built of 'components')

profit margins in the Chinese system don't allow for screw ups. this is due to the economic version of 'capitalism' that they have enacted at this time,and are running under.

Western corporations that have manufacturing done elsewhere (other than their home country), are used to pushing their way into a better contract position. If a Chinese manufacturer gives a Us corporation the 'deal' that the US company wants, the US company simply asks harder, trying to get an even BETTER deal.

what happens is that the Chinese company gives them the better deal. since they want the business and need to to stay afloat, they simply find a way to downgrade the manufacturing in some way, with the cover of still delivering product. they find ways to cut the pricing, and many times do not understand the full complex question that the US or western company is asking.

At the same time, the given involved western corporation is not aware of what the result of their pressuring the Chinese manufacturer, will end up being...or how it will affect the final product.

All this is outside of the problem of component suppliers and such having the giant lever of advantage of cheap human labour to do tasks and things in the creation of counterfeit components and manufacturing methods that western corporations have not known since the beginning of the industrial age. One where the people and the value of their labour---are the most disposable and inexpensive component in the entire chain.

This is how you end up with a supposed 25,000 hour MINIMUM life span CFL bulb, with shoddy manufacturing and components, one that emits huge amounts of RF and EMF/EFI noise into the air and into the electrical lines..and the things fail so readily. many times, dangerously so. If it is dangerous to the people buying it, recall the value of human life and labour that is emitting from the people making the device.

(side note of explaination: a business partner goes to Guangzhou to meet someone, stays for a week. first day he gets there and is walking down one of the main streets. Someone on a gas powered bike is hit by a car, from behind, bike gets flipped... the rider smacks his head and dies right in front of my friend. No One Cares. not one person stops or even looked. It shocked the hell out of him.)

The reality is that.... if that bulb was built the way it is advertised to be (what your uneducated expectations are-not you lazlo, you've got the background to understand what I'm saying), with the kind of components that German BMW and Mercedes, etc, or proper Lockheed or Boeing aircraft quality of components....as that is what would be required for the CFL bulb to be what it is advertized to be....that bulb would have a retail price of about $60-100 EACH.
    Last edited by Carmody; 12th November 2011 at 17:23.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Caren (12th November 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (12th November 2011), hohoemi (11th September 2013), jcocks (13th November 2011), ulli (12th November 2011)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,159 times in 13,484 posts

I sent this link to my husband and he has already passed it on to the Ministry of Health in Costa Rica.
    The chain of disposal in third world countries isn't always how it ought to be....careful packaging and then into deep landfills...
    but many just dump their broken lightbulbs into the rivers behind their huts...
    and yes, the poor are now buying these too, as they think they will save on their electricity bills,
    plus there is more advertising done about the energy saving factor than the disposal issue.
    So the river then takes this down to the areas on the ocean. Once i walked to the vast river mouth of the Tarcoles river on the pacific coast, during the dry season, when more of the river bed is exposed, and on each square meter saw half a dozen toothbrushes, tooth paste tube, broken dolls, unbelievable amounts of plastic bottles and garbage bags, and of course, broken bulbs. That was before the influx of energy-saving mercury light bulbs. I shudder to think what will happen to many of the bare-footed kids who live along the banks of that river.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Caren (12th November 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (12th November 2011), ktlight (12th November 2011), Spirithorse (12th November 2011)

18. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,947 times in 660 posts

Good call Jackovesk

Here in the UK we have had to use these bulbs for years and they give off a very poor headache inducing light. A couple of months back - I could stand no more - so unable to source any in shops I bought a load of 100W incandescent bulbs from Ebay - now life is sweet and we can actually see in the dark! My gripe is that we none of us have a choice in the matter - I don't like to be told what I buy at my age and after all - I pay the bills ...

Best regards to you my friend. JP

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Parslow For This Post:

Caren (12th November 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (12th November 2011), Providence (14th November 2011)

20. Link to Post #11
    Sweden Avalon Member Maria Stade's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,626 times in 854 posts

CFLs and fluorescent tubes includes the health and environmental hazardous substance mercury. Here's advice what to do if a lamp is broken.

CFLs and fluorescent tubes contain mercury. In a cool, new lamp, there is mercury in the form of either small mercury droplets, solid amalgam or mercury / iron balls. A CFL can be up to 5 mg of mercury while a fluorescent lamp can contain up to 10 mg.
    Use
    When a lamp is lit, the temperature rises and the mercury evaporates, and eventually fill the lamp with steam. When the lamp after use cools the vapor back into droplets, and possibly also to some extent to amalgam.
    If a cold lamp is broken spread mercury, which is in the form of droplets, in the room. Mercury drops will reasonably quickly fall to the floor with the broken lampdelarna and possibly broken glass. However, if a hot lamp is broken spread gaseous, metallic mercury (Hg 0 ) in room air.
    Recommendations
    When a cold lamp is broken
    Collect lampresterna with such a piece of stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar with lid. Then wipe the floor with a damp cloth. Then even the cloth into the jar, close the jar and label it, for example, text "may contain mercury from a CFL." Leave the jar to the return management that is designed for hazardous waste.
    Do not use vacuum cleaners. There is a risk that the vacuum cleaner further atomize and vaporize the mercury droplets and spread them in the air.
    When a hot lamp is broken
    Ventilate and leave the room. The European Lamp Companies Federation (ELC) recommends that you leave room for 20-30 minutes. Gather up later lampresterna for example with a piece of stiff paper or cardboard and wipe the floor and other surfaces near the broken lamp with a damp cloth. Add lampresterna in a glass jar with lid. Add also the cloth into the jar, close the jar and label it, for example, text "may contain mercury from a CFL." Leave the jar to the return management that is designed for hazardous waste.
    Do not use vacuum cleaners. There is a risk that the vacuum cleaner further atomize and vaporize the mercury droplets and spread them in the air.
    Effects
    Mercury in the form of liquid droplets from the cold lights are not expected to be absorbed through the skin to any appreciable extent. From contaminated hands, there may be exposure via the mouth, but in this case is taken very limited. Mercury Drops can slowly evaporate and thus lead to some exposure through inhalation if not the very small droplets taken care of.
    No health impacts are expected to arise from a single exposure to mercury. But since the gaseous mercury is readily taken up by inhalation and then accumulate in the body is it prudent to avoid exposure to gaseous mercury. Effects that may occur with prolonged exposure to low concentrations primarily affects the nervous system and brain.

http://www.kemi.se/sv/innehall/frago...or-och-lysror/

Its just sick that they even make lamps like this ..... insane !

Thank you jackovesk .
    The planet have given you all that you have !
    What do you give in return ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be the change you wish to see.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maria Stade For This Post:

Caren (12th November 2011), CdnSirian (13th November 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (12th November 2011), gaiagirl (13th November 2011)

22. Link to Post #12
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Halogen bulbs are also available. They are just like the original incadescent. Does anyone have info on them?

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Here is som info about halogen / LED lamps !

Facts about halogen
    If the halogen
    Halogenglödlampan is the light source that is most similar bulb. It provides clear, natural light, which renders colors in a completely natural manner. Tungsten-halogen lamps are available with the same base (E14 and E27) as the light bulb. They come in many different styles, including with the same look as the traditional light bulb and globe and candle. A very useful application is crystal chandeliers, where fluorescent appearance today is not a good option.

One of the advantages halogenglödlampan is that all variants can spray whatever dimmer. Another is that they do not contain mercury as fluorescent. Note that it is still important to recycle even halogen. Halogenglödlampan teeth directly, just as the light bulb. Tungsten-halogen lamps have a shorter lifespan compared to energy saving products. Although it is often twice or three times longer than ordinary light bulbs so is its 2000 - 3000 hours for a short time compact fluorescent lamps and LED lamps last between 6000-50000 hours. Nätspänningshalogenlampornas filaments are thin and fragile. Therefore, appropriate sensitivity to shock and vibration. Is the voltage where you live, unstable life can quickly become very short. 5% over voltage can halve the lamp life. In all of these limitations does energy saving significantly better when they can handle voltage fluctuations, shock and vibration very well. Energy saving halogen lamps available today in two versions, with a built-in transformer, providing 50% energy savings compared to incandescent bulbs. When comparing the light bulb with halogenvarianten without built-in transformer, the energy savings of 30%. The life -halogen lamps is two (variant without transformer) or three times (with built-in transformer) so long, that is 2000-3000 hours as the light bulb, whose life is an average of 1000 hours. Life expectancy is much shorter than the energy saving lamp, which has a lifespan of between 6 000 and 15 000 hours.

http://www.lampinfo.se/fakta-om-halogenglodlampor/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maria Stade For This Post:

Caren (12th November 2011), CdnSirian (13th November 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (12th November 2011)

25. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

ok this is really freaky, the video above that talks about the migraines, I had heard about that but the part where it says it raises blood sugar in susceptable diabetics,,omg are you freaking kidding me....not to mention the photos above have a cut that got mercury in it and it wouldnt heal... Heres a not so fun thought... What happens to places like Joplin Missouri where several square miles was leveled. What happens to the thousands of broken bulb residue in that case? I should have listened to my husband and daughter 4 years ago when I bought oodles of the bulbs at Sams Club because they were on sale $3.98 for 8 of them (normally $13.00)..I even bought the big round ones for the bathroom vanity!! I have 10 above the mirror in my master bathroom vanity, 7 in the other bathroom I have them in ALL my lamps, ceiling fans and chandeliers!!!!!!! with what the video says that CFLs have a dirty level of 500 plus as opposed to a level of 33 of reg or halogen bulbs we've been "frying" ourselves. We rent this house so I saved the bulbs for when we move out. So, Im going to put them back in today........my hubby and daughter laughed at me when I originally installed the CFLs because I wore shoes, safety googles and heavy duty rubber gloves....jokes on me ..they will give me a big "I told YOU so" I love threads like this they are literally life saving.....

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal Blue Being For This Post:

CdnSirian (13th November 2011), Maria Stade (12th November 2011), TWINCANS (12th November 2011)

27. Link to Post #15
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

DONE, (SEE POST 14) ALL EXCEPT FOR 5 OR 6 BULBS.. IVE DECIDED TO NOT TELL MY HUSBAND AND DAUGHTER TO SEE IF HE HAS A CHANGE IN BLOOD SUGAR AND SHE HAS A CHANGE IN HEADACHES.. so I dont create the plecebo effect.. If they notice the change in bulbs then Ill say "the incandescent light is more golden. ..and Ive decided your right,, we dont need toxic mercury bulbs . in the house.." by the way a couple years ago my hubby said a guy at work got the entire tv series of the 1960s HIT TV show THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. starring Robert Vaughn and David McCallum (how on NCSI) and in an episode T.H.R.U.S.H. (the bad guys) put lightbulbs that emitted a frequency that made peoples go slowly crazy, dishonest,commit suicide , murder and most of all get sick, very angry short tempered) THEY (T.H.R.U.S.H. agents) PUT THEM IN THE HOMES AND WORK PLACES OF KEY GOVERNMENT, BUSINESS, AND U.N.C.L.E. AGENTS. he said you could give him the CFL bulbs for free and he wouldnt put them in his home. weird.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal Blue Being For This Post:

CdnSirian (13th November 2011), Maria Stade (12th November 2011)

29. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

I was shocked when I saw the info about this lamps about a year ago and the person that put in the film that time actually gave me a longer life !
    It like this I Like to reuse things and I had saved MANY bulbs for DISMANTLE the glas part in some ART idea !
    OMG that had been ..... very BAD !

They have not told the people how very dangerus the modern lamp is Here in Sweden they was even called environment friendly.

Energy is free and it is only the psycopats that have grabbed the resurces that should belong to all and now they are spreading light bulbs that is polluting the planet and innocent people that have not been informed

If something is ENVIRONMENT FRIENDLY it is NOT polluting THE PLANET ! What a SCAM !

Share the information with people and friends and family !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maria Stade For This Post:

CdnSirian (13th November 2011), Ethereal Blue Being (12th November 2011)

31. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

So far my limited research on CFL's drudged up stories that the US gov't has mandated the phaseout of incandescents. There are misleading media pundit stories that the gov't is only going to approve people buying Chinese made CFL's as replacements as scare and fear-mongering excitable press releases to sensationalize things as usual. There are some interesting articles out there and as usual, the informed person has done some research and thinks they know what is going on. Even though there are more and more "Smart Meters" being installed on houses gathering information about people's power usage while power companies are getting more competitive with electric cooperatives and new electrical generation policies, I highly doubt that we are close to needing to be worried about the light bulb police breaking down our doors.

However, Big Brother in gov't does things by stages and small leaps to make progress over time so that it doesn't appear they're doing anything except looking out for our best interests. CFL's are definitely a Top Level Health Hazard and for gov't to put anything in place demanding we buy them is hypocritical to say the least. Here are some articles to get some varying facets on the story.

http://www.creeledrevolution.com/blo...a-replacement/

http://www.saveyourrights.com/congre...imwitted-move/

Of course, with the financial pressure on Washington DC to give more American economic "push" to China in lieu of them having so much of our "debt" (read Ponzi scheme lie) covered, tis easy to see why some congresspeople think polluting our USA soil with mercury is ok as long as it keeps money flowing by buying Chinese goods, regardless of they contain unacceptably large amounts of the one of the most toxic metals used in industry. Insanity is ok as long as somebody important makes a lot of money off it. Sheeesh, my spaceship still isn't ready, so it looks like I'll be stuck here until it's fixed. Cheers, AT.
    Last edited by Aetheric Traveler; 13th November 2011 at 05:47. Reason: grammar correction

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Aetheric Traveler For This Post:

CdnSirian (13th November 2011)

33. Link to Post #18
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    I recently bought an embarrassing amount of incandescent bulbs, enough to last for years and years. The clerk commented on the huge quantity. Told her I had a big house. :D
    Wise move conk,

Otherwise you may have had a 'Knock on the Door' from the FEDS..!

34. Link to Post #19
    Australia Avalon Member wolf_rt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 times in 418 posts

Thats the problem, they have been marketed as energy savers, 'green' light bulbs.... Nothing could be further from the truth...

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/incandescent.htm

This article explains how the CFL's actually draw more current than they are supposed to, nearly as much as a Old school bulb..

I think this is why we need 'smart' meters now... or is it the other way around.

ALSO they use 'clipping transformers' (any transformer that isn't heavy) which make the AC waveform look like this

you can imagine how much your computer ect. like being fed from a power supply that looks like that

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolf_rt For This Post:

CdnSirian (13th November 2011), conk (14th November 2011), John Parslow (13th November 2011)

+ Reply to Thread