+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "This thought police should be stopped from operating"

1. Link to Post #1
    Retired
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,050 times in 3,027 posts

Default "This thought police should be stopped from operating"

40 opposition members of the Israeli Knesset initiated a debate requiring the prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, to come and hear the allegations leveled against him.
    The discussion was opened by Chairman of Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee the knesset ,Shaul Mofaz,who sharply criticized: "the horror world of George Orwell comes to life under your regime. A forced pentration of the legislative power of the dark elements of oppression is creating a horror vision that never been seen in these parts of the world before.1984 is here.this is terrible."

Mofaz added that "Netanyahu's thought police, which make ignorance to its driving force ,which perpetuates war and move away from peace, which perpetuates the slavery as a misinterpretation of freedom, that buy views with money,that bribe Sympathetic coverage and silence with threats and legislation - This thought police should end its historical path as other dark regimes have finished their days elsewhere."

This discussion took place against the new defamation Prohibition law - a bill that would drastically increase the penalty for libel, government has proposed a bill that would hike the penalty for civil libel from NIS 50,000 (around 9,900 Euros) to six times that figure, media reports said. The fine is reportedly even higher if the publication refuses to print the full response of the plaintiff, another requirement of the new legislation.

The International Press Institute (IPI) is concerned that the penalty increase, combined with the fact that the burden of proof lies with the defendant, could chill investigative reporting in Israel.

“We urge the Israeli parliament to revise the Defamation Prohibition Law, which we fear would stifle free expression in Israel – where, until now, Israeli journalists have enjoyed a level of press freedom above and beyond that of most of their colleagues in the region,” said IPI Executive Director Alison Bethel McKenzie. “While media houses must be held accountable for their reporting, a penalty increase of this dimension for libel could discourage media from holding public figures accountable, which is their core duty.”

“Should the new amendment be passed, heaven forbid, there would be even less willingness by journalists, and even more reluctance from their employers, to expose crimes or failures of public figures and thus undertake the risk of being served with libel suits,” Negbi wrote. “Via this legislation, politicians and their friends basically acquire total immunity from criticism and condemnation.”

MK Zehava gal-on called on Netanyahu and said that he "manages a campaign to eliminate democracy in Israel."

"you are a leader of a coalition that not only does not have any respect for the minority but moreover,go and hunt it."
    Last edited by Limor Wolf; 23rd November 2011 at 23:47.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Limor Wolf For This Post:

Calz (24th November 2011), GaelVictor (24th November 2011), John Parslow (24th November 2011), ktlight (24th November 2011), Lord Sidious (23rd November 2011), Mark (23rd November 2011), PHARAOH (24th November 2011), seko (23rd November 2011), winnasboy (24th November 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Default Re: "This thought police should be stopped from operating"

Wow!
    So some of the politicians are now speaking out?
    And 1/3 of the whole membership?
    Bibi can't be too happy.
    What is the deal with this Limor?
    Is this just more party v party politics?
    Or is this real opposition to the tyranny in Isreal?

4. Link to Post #3
    Retired
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,050 times in 3,027 posts

The deal is that politicians are starting to wake up ,their ego bruised because they are being disregard with their opposition to laws.this specific one is considered an attack against the media and press.I think it has crossed the 'party v party politics',although it is still going strong.. but hopefully some of them start to feel something fishy going on.I am quite amazed myself on the asccuracy of the words used by no less than the Former chief of staff and defense minister in the present.1984 is here indeed,but with Awakening like this,there is a slight chance for different ending.
    I will continue to follow and update.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Limor Wolf For This Post:

Calz (24th November 2011), GaelVictor (24th November 2011), Ishtar (23rd November 2011), John Parslow (24th November 2011), ktlight (24th November 2011), Lord Sidious (23rd November 2011), Mark (23rd November 2011), ThePythonicCow (23rd November 2011), winnasboy (24th November 2011)

6. Link to Post #4
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Excellent.
    What is interesting, is that at my workshop a few weeks ago, I showed the following video and said to the people that the Israelis are leading by example.
    They are joining forces to protest against the government and how it is behaving.
    Not just jews, but muslims and christians, left wing and right, arabs and jews, all together.
    Look at the end of the video, there are two very interesting scenes, which I put on pause for the group.
    One shows a sign that says ''one mob'' and the other one is the Palestinian flag being waved in Tel Aviv, which I am sure you would know Limor, used to be something you could be locked up for.
    This shows me that people are more motivated to get change.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...li-Awakening--

Pause at 4.12 and 4.20 you will see what I mean.
    Last edited by Lord Sidious; 24th November 2011 at 00:02.

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lord Sidious (here)
    Excellent.
    Indeed Excellent!!!

Stavros
    Truth will not set you free. Knowledge will...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sdafnom For This Post:

Lord Sidious (24th November 2011)

+ Reply to Thread