+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Juicing vs. Blending ?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,350 times in 2,555 posts

Default Juicing vs. Blending ?

What do you foodies think of this info? It makes sense to me that juicing is the more healthy method, and I want to move to a much higher veggie diet with just some meat. I am container gardening for now, but plan to re-establish my mother's old garden in the spring.

[YOUTUBE]LwyPfZeVmlA&

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,886 times in 913 posts

Default Re: Juicing vs. Blending ?

I fail to grasp the speakers point about the difference between a "proper" juicer and a blender in regards to proper food digestion?

Proper food digestion starts with saliva in the mouth being mixed into the food by the teeth; tell me how a "proper" juicer does this?
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

ThresholdRising (6th December 2011), Unified Serenity (30th November 2011)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Interesting info on this product, is anyone here using it? I am interested in going high veggie diet for a while, and want some feedback on sprouting and certain products. How they taste, how you react to them etc.. Thanks for any tips and info:

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

This guy makes a lot of sense to me to use a balance. Finding good organic foods that are affordable seems to be a big issue.

6. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Juicing specifically is something I am fascinated in. I don't know much on it now, but I'll be getting a book on it in the next few months when I'm done reading the books that I'm reading now. It seems to be a powerful tool, and if you know how to wield it the effects can be tremendous.

I eat a fairly high amount of veggies in my diet, it's actually challenging because I'm eating the same thing often. It's hard for me to mix it up with veggies, guess I'm not much of a cook. I grow my own food as well, because for 1 I like it, and 2 I like knowing how the plants were grown.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

7. Link to Post #6
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

My former partner used a juicer- it was horrendously expensive to buy.
    Its much more powerful than a blender.
    It really works a very high speed and therefore is supposed to be very healthy as all the nutrients are in a digestible form.

My former partner bought into a very expensive recipe course which was supposed to lead to enlightenment through purification of the body.
    I would not go there.
    The juice did taste good though.
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

PathWalker (1st December 2011), pharoah21 (1st December 2011)

9. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Does anyone on here know the Marche sprouting method? I am interested in growing sprouts and I have no issue in paying to learn their system, but wanted to know if anyone here is doing it and how you would rate it.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Juicing specifically is something I am fascinated in. I don't know much on it now, but I'll be getting a book on it in the next few months when I'm done reading the books that I'm reading now. It seems to be a powerful tool, and if you know how to wield it the effects can be tremendous.

I eat a fairly high amount of veggies in my diet, it's actually challenging because I'm eating the same thing often. It's hard for me to mix it up with veggies, guess I'm not much of a cook. I grow my own food as well, because for 1 I like it, and 2 I like knowing how the plants were grown.
    I feel as you do about knowing where my food comes from and I just like watching the plants grow :D

I do know that cold press juicers are the best, and apparently per Gerson method, double pressed is the best. You can spend thousands on a good juicer, but I have seen plans on how you can make your own, or less expensive ones. The one's that cost the most are the easiest to use, but I am frugal.

10. Link to Post #8
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

juicing, releases the minerals/vitamines in a natural way, via pressure ,the stronger the jaws the more pressure, blending creates friction which creates heat which changes the molecular structure

11. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,886 times in 913 posts

Quote Posted by fathertedsmate (here)
    juicing, releases the minerals/vitamines in a natural way, via pressure ,the stronger the jaws the more pressure, blending creates friction which creates heat which changes the molecular structure
    Pressure also creates heat, more pressure more heat.
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

12. Link to Post #10
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,734 times in 1,428 posts

Hi US

As a former juicer but am about to start again . . . I found veg juice more beneficial than fruit juice although i used an apple base (as opposed to carrot or orange). Apple seems to blend in with other veg/fruit more easily and is naturally sweeter. Breakfast - 2 apples, half inch of beetroot, slice of lemon in the juicer and then into the blender with some crushed ice. Nothing better. And equal amounts of apple and pear and then in the blender with crushed ice or apple and lemon in the blender with crushed ice - heaven in a glass! But the cleaning up - OMG - that's what put me off. After a couple of weeks I noticed a heightened sense of smell, which was great with good smelling stuff but it was also heightened with the nasty niffs as well - pheweyy!. Never caught colds or was ill though . . Would recommend Jason Vale (Juicemaster) recipes . . . . Good luck - let us know how you get on

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

Ruby L. (1st December 2011), shamanseeker (1st December 2011), Unified Serenity (1st December 2011)

14. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,546 times in 20,693 posts

I worked and studied with Viktoras Kulvinskas and his late wife, Youkta, both live foods gurus, for about 5 years.
    Viktoras was co-founder of the Hippocrates Health Institute with Ann Wigmore and is known as the "father of wheat grass therapy".
    I live on a very small income, so I have worked at finding the simplest and most inexpensive ways of incorporating live and sprouted foods into my diet.
    I own an Omega 8003 juicer which I quite like, which you can get for around $200.
    It crushes the produce and doesn't heat it.
    It's easy to clean and doesn't make a terrible noise like, for example, the Champion does.
    You can juice wheat grass in it without even changing the parts, which is very handy for wheat grass juice lovers.
    I sprout flax seed, chia seed, mung beans, lentils, sunflower seeds, almonds, clover, oat groats, pumpkin seeds regularly and incorporate them into a morning fresh fruit smoothie and a regular (but not nightly) vegie juice. I just use plastic or glass jars and keep it simple. I sprout things like beans and rice before I cook them, and cook over a low heat. Sprouted brown rice milk is delicious. Just put sprouted rice in a blender with water, strain, add a little honey and vanilla. It doesn't last long, so best to make small portions and drink right away.
    I regularly use carrot, celery, bell pepper, beet, cucumber, cabbage,most any green, and garlic in my vegie juice.
    I grow wheat and barley grass and sunflower and pea sprouts in trays which can be kept indoors with the proper lighting, or on my front porch in warmer weather.
    I use Spirulina, Chlorella and Royal Peruvian Maca regularly as supplements, and I buy a box of 25-33 lbs. of fresh aloe vera leaves every month and include one whole leaf, peeled (weighing about a pound each) in my morning smoothie. These can be purchased in most Mexican markets in the US, or ordered and shipped via UPS from Aloe Labs in Harlingen, Texas.
    I drink whole raw milk, about 2 gallons a month, which I get from a local farmer, and I make it into kefir, which lasts much longer than plain milk and has lots of good probiotics in it.
    I eat organic as much as I can, and avoid GMOs like the plague!
    I take some other supplements like Krill Oil, Ubiquinol, Atomodine(a form of iodine recommended by Edgar Cayce), Vit. D3, Ionic Magnesium, Vit. C, Curcumin, Allicin, a Glucosamine Chondroitin joint formula, and proteolytic enzymes.
    If I had a good garden space, I would certainly make good use of it, and spend more money on that than I am currently spending on supplements, I expect.
    But I live in a duplex, and don't have the space, unfortunately.
    I believe that if we grow our own food, we can ask the devic kingdom to provide the plants with the nutrition that we need, and that eliminates a lot of the more unnatural methods of maintaining health that a lot of people. myself included, have to resort to.
    Hope that helps. I would be glad to answer any questions you might have if I can.
    Best of luck!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

shamanseeker (1st December 2011), Sierra (3rd December 2011), Unified Serenity (1st December 2011)

16. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 times in 1,148 posts

Great thread US. Thanks.

Regarding the OP and first video, what he says makes sense to me. My gut instinct tells me that we need to get back to NATURAL everything, as much as possible. To me, that means chewing (rather than juicing or blending) raw, organically grown food.

I will have to come back to this thread after a good long sleep and read the other posts and watch the rest of the videos.

17. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    I worked and studied with Viktoras Kulvinskas and his late wife, Youkta, both live foods gurus, for about 5 years.
    Viktoras was co-founder of the Hippocrates Health Institute with Ann Wigmore and is known as the "father of wheat grass therapy".
    I live on a very small income, so I have worked at finding the simplest and most inexpensive ways of incorporating live and sprouted foods into my diet.
    I own an Omega 8003 juicer which I quite like, which you can get for around $200.
    It crushes the produce and doesn't heat it.
    It's easy to clean and doesn't make a terrible noise like, for example, the Champion does.
    You can juice wheat grass in it without even changing the parts, which is very handy for wheat grass juice lovers.
    I sprout flax seed, chia seed, mung beans, lentils, sunflower seeds, almonds, clover, oat groats, pumpkin seeds regularly and incorporate them into a morning fresh fruit smoothie and a regular (but not nightly) vegie juice. I just use plastic or glass jars and keep it simple. I sprout things like beans and rice before I cook them, and cook over a low heat. Sprouted brown rice milk is delicious. Just put sprouted rice in a blender with water, strain, add a little honey and vanilla. It doesn't last long, so best to make small portions and drink right away.
    I regularly use carrot, celery, bell pepper, beet, cucumber, cabbage,most any green, and garlic in my vegie juice.
    I grow wheat and barley grass and sunflower and pea sprouts in trays which can be kept indoors with the proper lighting, or on my front porch in warmer weather.
    I use Spirulina, Chlorella and Royal Peruvian Maca regularly as supplements, and I buy a box of 25-33 lbs. of fresh aloe vera leaves every month and include one whole leaf, peeled (weighing about a pound each) in my morning smoothie. These can be purchased in most Mexican markets in the US, or ordered and shipped via UPS from Aloe Labs in Harlingen, Texas.
    I drink whole raw milk, about 2 gallons a month, which I get from a local farmer, and I make it into kefir, which lasts much longer than plain milk and has lots of good probiotics in it.
    I eat organic as much as I can, and avoid GMOs like the plague!
    I take some other supplements like Krill Oil, Ubiquinol, Atomodine(a form of iodine recommended by Edgar Cayce), Vit. D3, Ionic Magnesium, Vit. C, Curcumin, Allicin, a Glucosamine Chondroitin joint formula, and proteolytic enzymes.
    If I had a good garden space, I would certainly make good use of it, and spend more money on that than I am currently spending on supplements, I expect.
    But I live in a duplex, and don't have the space, unfortunately.
    I believe that if we grow our own food, we can ask the devic kingdom to provide the plants with the nutrition that we need, and that eliminates a lot of the more unnatural methods of maintaining health that a lot of people. myself included, have to resort to.
    Hope that helps. I would be glad to answer any questions you might have if I can.
    Best of luck!
    Wow, I thought I was reading about myself there for a second. Good on you! You must certainly be in the best of health.

I use a VitaMix blender to create some of my drinks. I get the fiber and the broken cell wall nutrients, something a juicer can't do.........so I'm told. This will be gross to some, but I'll tell on myself anyway. I put some of my saliva into my drink (sounds better than saying spit, eh?) prior to drinking, because I usually drink it to quickly. This begins the digestion process in the glass, since it can't take place in my mouth.

And sprouts are a mainstay of my diet. Eat them by the handsfull. People know better than to come to dinner at my house. "THATS what you eat daily"? Much different than the chemicals and garbage you eat, I reply. hehe
    Last edited by conk; 1st December 2011 at 20:11.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

onawah (1st December 2011), Sierra (3rd December 2011), Swanette (4th December 2011)

19. Link to Post #14
    Israel Avalon Member PathWalker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,056 times in 1,088 posts

Thanks for the thread,

I use the Korean unbranded Omega-8005 Juicer called Oscar.
    I have one juice in the morning of leaves and roots (carrots, beet, red cabbage, parsley, lettuce, broccoli, coriander, ginger). I am mixing and matching and constantly changing with the seasons.
    I have second juice at night with fruits and leaves (apples, oranges, lemons, palmagrante, pears, strawberry..) what ever we have at the season.
    Sometimes I make a third juice for I like it as well.

The benefits are:
    1. Three times improved digestion of the nutrients, over eating.
    2. Save me the time of feeding and preparing food.
    3. Can endure the horrible leafy grassy elements by mixing with more dominating tastes.
    4. Cost effective in the amount of juice per fruit.
    5. Cut cost on food supplements. (Only consuming vitamin D3, and Omega 3 fat)

The disadvantages:
    1. Cleaning after every use.
    2. Have to cut and prepare the food for the juicer.
    3. Cannot juice protein reach foods like nuts and beans, still have to eat them.
    4. Keep diversifying always since the juices are extremely potent.
    5. Still need to feed with fiber rich foods as well.

Bottom line,
    Juicer assist me consuming 1 Kg salad a day with 2 glasses of juice.
    It is very important to keep changing and diversify.
    Some foods like banana are better in shakes then juice.
    It is only part of the solution.

Joy and happiness
    PathWalker
    Last edited by PathWalker; 1st December 2011 at 20:51.
    We are playing a virtual reality game, of duality. In the game of choices, align your choices with your ideals. Everything is whole, complete and perfect. Even yourself. Love is the power to change/create.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PathWalker For This Post:

conk (2nd December 2011), Limor Wolf (3rd December 2011), Sierra (3rd December 2011)

21. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,987 times in 463 posts

the thing you need to watch with juicing (and I am speaking from experience) is sugar. You don't normally sit down to eat 3 or 4 carrots, but this is what a glass of carrot juice would contain, and there is a lot of sugar in carrots (and in beetroots if you include them). It's important to be aware of using low sugar vegetables for juicing.

We used to have a Champion juicer back when I was doing juices

22. The Following User Says Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

13th Warrior (1st December 2011)

23. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

God, I'm starving! I haven't gotten off my duff to go buy organic veggies. I am almost out of turkey from thanksgiving, it was a darn good smoked bird, but I have hardly eaten much for days. I don't want processed crap, and I need to get some darn veggies. I hate shopping. Gotta figure out what to cook for dinner so I don't have the kids revolting on me!

24. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,546 times in 20,693 posts

For me, juicing is essential since I have TMJ and dentures.
    Chewing the amount of fruits and vegies I need every day would be impossible.
    From all I have heard and read from the experts in the live foods movement, you get more benefits from juicing than from say, Vitamixing (blending).
    You get more nutrition and less bulk, so your body doesn't have to work so hard to digest, utilize.
    If all organic produce is not available or cost prohibitive, another advantage of juicing, as I understand it, is that a lot of the pesticides, herbicides, etc. remain in the pulp when juicing.
    I don't know why that is, but a lot of people have confirmed that, and I think it is based on scientific testing.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Sierra (3rd December 2011)

26. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

I juice and do green smoothies. I love the juice but, feel I get more diversity with a smoothie and it keeps me fuller longer. I really enjoy learning about nutrition. Green smoothie girl has a great program called twelve steps to whole foods that might interest you. I still occasionally eat meat and dairy but, green smoothies have really changed my life. A raw vegan diet fascinates me but, I really struggle with raw because I live in a cold climate. So, for right now I'm raw until noon many days even until dinner.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angellight For This Post:

Sierra (4th December 2011), Swanette (4th December 2011)

28. Link to Post #19
    England Avalon Member DevilPigeon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,421 times in 560 posts

-----

There are 2 main types of juicer, both have benefits/disadvantages...

Centrifugal

Pros
    • Cheaper than masticating
    • Slightly easier to clean
    • Good tasting juice
    • Faster than masticating

Cons
    • Juice not as nutritious as from a masticating juicer
    • Slightly more pulp evident in juice
    • Juice needs to be consumed pretty much straight away
    • More foam produced than with masticating

Masticating (single or twin gear)

Pros
    • Superb quality juice
    • Less pulp in juice than centrifugal
    • Juice can be stored longer than with centrifugal
    • Less foam than with a centrifugal

Cons
    • More expensive
    • A pain to clean
    • Slower juicing process

A centrifugal juicer is basically a very high speed rotating grater, the pulp whizzes off into a mulch container whereas the juice falls through the grates and out through a tube to a cup/jug... Due to the speed, there's more heat involved (friction) which slightly degrades the juice, meaning it's not as good as a masticating juicer and needs to be consumed pretty much immediately.

A masticating juicer is basically a corkscrew type mechanism that squeezes the food against a grille, the pulp going one way and the juice through the grates. It's a low speed affair, meaning the quality of the juice is superior with less foam produced and less heat introduced, meaning little degradation and hence longer storage potential.

You'll need to be a die-hard juicer though, as I warn you both methods are a pain to clean afterwards....! The novelty can soon wear off, trust me on this.
    "Stop getting Bond wrong!" (Alan Partridge)

29. The Following User Says Thank You to DevilPigeon For This Post:

Limor Wolf (3rd December 2011)

30. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 times in 518 posts

Quote Posted by 13th Warrior (here)
    I fail to grasp the speakers point about the difference between a "proper" juicer and a blender in regards to proper food digestion?

Proper food digestion starts with saliva in the mouth being mixed into the food by the teeth; tell me how a "proper" juicer does this?
    I have to agree 100% with Mr.Warrior, everything starts with saliva which is the main factor in a pre-process of the food we digest. Masticating the food is a natural and as I believe most perfect way of eating stuff. After about 20-30 masticates of the food goes properly
    prepared to the stomach where the digestion is mach more easy thanks to the enzymes introduced by saliva. But we are all lazy and it's so comfortable to believe some TV salesman than doing the right thing.
    Last edited by vibrations; 1st December 2011 at 22:30.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vibrations For This Post:

13th Warrior (2nd December 2011), DevilPigeon (1st December 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast