Thread: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

1. Link to Post #28481
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,444 times in 11,989 posts

Default Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

SouthWest Research Institute

SWRI To Plan Pluto Orbiter Mission

Published 30th October 2019

NASA has funded Southwest Research Institute to study the important attributes, feasibility and cost of a possible future Pluto orbiter mission. This study will develop the spacecraft and payload design requirements and make preliminary cost and risk assessments for new technologies.

The study is one of 10 different mission studies that NASA is sponsoring to prepare for the next Planetary Science Decadal Survey. The results of these studies will be delivered to the National Academy Planetary Decadal Study that will begin in 2020.

Read all about it here: https://www..org/press-release/pluto...l-survey-study
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

2. Link to Post #28482
    Thanks

ScienceAlert.com

Rarely Seen Gravity Waves Captured Rippling In Earth's Atmosphere

Published 28th October 2019

The atmosphere is fluid. This means it's subject to fluid dynamics, such as circulation, currents, and, yes, gravity waves. The atmosphere is always in motion, so these phenomena happen all the time; but actually seeing them is another matter.

Well, thanks to weather satellites, now you can take a mighty gawk at atmospheric gravity waves that rippled out over Western Australia last week.

Not to be confused with gravitational waves, which are disturbances in the curvature of spacetime created by massive acceleration, gravity waves, also known as buoyancy waves, are a physical phenomenon where waves are generated in any fluid medium, such as waves at the beach, or ripples in a glass of water.

Read all about it here: https://www.sciencealert.com/a-weath...h-s-atmosphere
    Last edited by Star Tsar; 1st November 2019 at 09:53.
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Blacklight43 (1st November 2019), Cara (1st November 2019)

4. Link to Post #28483
    Thanks

Nature.com

Second-Ever Interstellar Comet Contains Alien Water

Published 30th October 2019

Astronomers have for the first time spotted signs of water in our Solar System that originated somewhere else. The alien water seems to be spraying off comet 2I/Borisov, which is flying towards the Sun on a journey from interstellar space.

“There’s water — that’s cool, that’s great,” says Olivier Hainaut, an astronomer at the European Southern Observatory in Garching, Germany. The discovery isn’t surprising, he says, because most comets contain a lot of water. But confirming its presence in an interstellar comet is an important step towards understanding how water might travel between the stars.

Read all about it here: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03334-5

5. Link to Post #28484
    Thanks

Asteroid Station

Asteroid Alert (2019 UG11)

Published 31st October 2019

Asteroid will near miss Earth by half the distance of the Moon on the 1st November 2019.

6. Link to Post #28485
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Tsar (here)
    Prehistory Decoded

The Younger Dryas Debate | Part One

Published 19th October 2019

Surveys the research literature surrounding the Younger Dryas debate. Part 1 discusses papers from 2007 to 2009.

The Younger Dryas Debate | Part Two

Part 2 of the series covers developments in the research in 2010, including the nanodiamond layer found in the Greenland ice sheet

7. Link to Post #28486
    Thanks

Nemesis Maturity

Four Meteor Showers To Light Up The Skies In November

This month there are four meteor showers. The Southern Taurids, the Northern Taurids, the Leonids and the November Orionids.

Watch for Taurid fireballs!
    November 6, 2019, is the peak date of the long-lasting South Taurid meteor shower. These rather slow-moving meteors produce the greatest numbers in the few hours after midnight.

The Northern Taurids are visible before midnight for a week centered on November 12.
    Both the South and North Taurids are active from late October to early December. According to the American Meteor Society (AMS), the Taurids (both branches) are rich in fireballs and are often responsible for increased number of fireball reports.

Leonid meteor shower
    The annual Leonid meteor shower is expected to reach peak activity in the early hours of November 17. In a dark sky you can see up to 20 meteors per hour at its peak. This shower has been known to produce meteor storms. The Leonids produced meteor storms of hundreds to thousands of meteors per hour at the peak each year from 1998 to 2002. The best viewing time is after midnight, when the constellation Leo rises above the eastern horizon. Leonids can be viewed at any place on Earth, given the sky is clear.

November Orionids
    November Orionids peak on the 28th. The constellation Orion is familiar to most skywatchers. The radiant is near Orion's head. You can see a rate of about 5 meteors per hour.

For best meteor viewing, experts suggest going to a location away from city lights, dressing warmly, and lie flat on your back and look straight up. No special viewing equipment needed - just your eyes.

Have a nice month and happy skywatching!

Clear Skies Everyone!

8. Link to Post #28487
    Thanks

Analytical Graphics, Inc.

Chris Blackerby (COO), & Ron Lopez (President, U.S.) | Astroscale | Space Debris Removal

In this episode, Astroscale's Chris Blackerby (COO), and Ron Lopez (President, U.S.) discuss their company and their plan to help clean up debris from space.

Just as society is dealing with issues of pollution of our land and oceans, we also have to address the growing amount of debris polluting space. There are now millions of pieces of debris posing a threat to our orbital highway, and these uncontrolled hazards can cause potential damage to the many active satellites that are providing daily benefits to society. If we don’t start addressing the issue of space debris now we will endanger active satellites and the benefits they bring us here on Earth.

Last edited by Star Tsar; 1st November 2019 at 08:46.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Cara (1st November 2019)

10. Link to Post #28488
    Thanks

Phys.org

Even 'Goldilocks' Exoplanets Need A Well-Behaved Star

An exoplanet may seem like the perfect spot to set up housekeeping, but before you go there, take a closer look at its star.

Rice University astrophysicists are doing just that, building a computer model to help judge how a star's own atmosphere impacts its planets, for better or worse.

By narrowing the conditions for habitability, they hope to refine the search for potentially habitable planets. Astronomers now suspect that most of the billions of stars in the sky have at least one planet. To date, Earth-bound observers have spotted nearly 4,000 of them.

Research paper: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...38-4357/ab4652

Read all about it here: https://phys.org/news/2019-10-goldil...aved-star.html

11. Link to Post #28489
    Thanks

8NewsNow.com

I-Team: Former Sen. Harry Reid Talks UFOs In Sit-Down Interview

Former U.S. Senator Harry Reid wants to clarify some bad information being dispensed by the Pentagon about a secret study of UFOs. It was authorized by Reid and other lawmakers more than a decade ago.

The UFO study was kept quiet until two years ago, and since then, a lot of misinformation has surfaced about the purpose of the study and who worked for it. Senator Reid sat down with the I-Team’s George Knapp for an exclusive interview.

Read all about it here: https://us13.proxysite.com/process.p...&b=1&f=norefer
    Last edited by Star Tsar; 1st November 2019 at 10:46.

12. Link to Post #28490
    Thanks

The Black Vault

Inside The Black Vault | New Documents; Updates & Your Questions

Join John Greenewald, Jr., to go over the month of updates. It's been a HUGE month with all sorts of new documents. I'll cover it all, then I'll follow it up answers your questions via phone and text.

13. Link to Post #28491
    Thanks

UFOklahoma

Orbs In Oklahoma! Plus Map Of UFO Sightings Across The United States!

Here we cover a sighting of orbs in the great Midwest city of Oklahoma. Also we're giving you access to the reported UFO sightings From the National UFO Reporting Center (N.U.R.C.)http://www.nuforc.org with the map fantastically designed by Esri.

14. Link to Post #28492
    Thanks

Isaac Arthur

The Fermi Paradox: Rare Technology

The Fermi Paradox, the big question of where all the aliens are, has many proposed solutions focusing on what might lower the odds of intelligent species arising on another world, or what might end technological civilizations or cause them to go unseen by us and our SETI efforts. But what if intelligence rarely leads to technological civilizations in the first place? Could there be countless planets in our galaxy occupied by species who never came to value technology?

15. Link to Post #28493
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 1st November 2019 | Records Broken, Crust Movement, Cosmic News

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (1st November 2019), Cara (1st November 2019)

17. Link to Post #28494
    Thanks

APOD Podcast

The Day After Mars

Published 1st November 2019

In today's image, we see an image of Mars from about 5 years ago. Just above and to the right of Mars, we see the comet Siding Spring which passed very close to Mars 5 years ago.

18. Link to Post #28495
    Thanks

Astrum

What Did NASA's Opportunity Rover Find On Mars?

My battery is low and it's getting dark. NASA's Opportunity has come to the end of a 15 year mission on Mars. But what did it do? This episode focuses on Endeavour Crater and Cape York!

Last edited by Star Tsar; 1st November 2019 at 17:20.

19. Link to Post #28496
    Thanks

AstroFlask

The Milky Way As Seen From The ISS

Published 27th October 2019

A quick recap of the processing over 175 images from ISS Expedition 31, out of 231, that show the Milky Way behind the Earth, looking out from a window. You can see the resulting image on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comme...m_isseol_data/

20. Link to Post #28497
    Thanks

SentIntoSpace

What Does A Solar Eclipse Look Like From The Edge Of Space? | Hyperlapse @ 165,000 Feet

In August 2017 we travelled to Wyoming to film a solar eclipse. We launched a high altitude weather balloon filled with helium to an altitude exceeding 50km, timing the apex of the flight to coincide with totality.

Using a series of cameras aligned with nanometre precision, we filmed 360 degrees of footage for three hours from launch. On landing, we stitched the footage together and digitally stabilised the footage frame by frame to artificially lock the viewer perspective on the horizon, cropping down to a traditional 16:9 ratio. Finally, we speed-ramped the footage to create the world's first hyperlapse of an eclipse from the edge of space.

For more information about our launch, check out our article about the project: https://www.sentintospace.com/post/so...

To see the launch and some more amazing moments from the flight in full 360, see the BBC's video: https://youtu.be/53PvDEkgbno

Check out our very first 360 hyperlapse here: https://youtu.be/PsSvqvK_3Zo

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Mashika (4th November 2019)

22. Link to Post #28498
    Thanks

Caltech Astronomy

Jim Fuller | Sounds Of The Stars: Imaging Star Guts With Cosmic Music

Published 2nd November 2019

What lies at the center of a star? A stellar core is surrounded by a million Earth’s worth of plasma, so we cannot see it directly. However, the immense power of a star’s radiation causes nearly all stars to pulsate, creating “star quakes” at their surfaces. These oscillations are a collection of musical notes that uniquely define each star and are determined by its internal structure, just as the sound of a musical instrument is determined by its size and shape. Join me for a cosmic symphony as we journey to the center of the Sun, Saturn, white dwarfs, red giants, and heartbeat stars.

Echo360 Two-Pane Video Stream: https://echo360.org/lesson/G_ddc1c2c....000/classroom

The stars vibrate at different frequencies, producing "music" that our telescopes can "hear". These vibrations allow us to probe the interior of the star, down to its very core. Presentation: 05:05; speaker Q&A: 31:30; panel Q&A: 43:23

23. Link to Post #28499
    Thanks

Anton Petrov

Asteroseismology - The Science Of Natural Music Of The Stars

Published 3rd November 2019

Anton talk about the field known as asteroseismology - the study of star harmonics or the music that the stars produce.

Music: Home-We're Finally Landing https://soundcloud.com/home-2001

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Cara (4th November 2019)

25. Link to Post #28500
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 2nd & 3rd November 2019

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Cara (4th November 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1425 of 1441 FirstFirst 1 425 925 1325 1375 1415 1425 1435 1441 LastLast