+ Reply to Thread
Page 1495 of 1822 FirstFirst 1 495 995 1395 1445 1485 1495 1505 1545 1595 1822 LastLast
Results 29,881 to 29,900 of 36433

Thread: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

1. Link to Post #29881
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,691 times in 13,806 posts

Unhappy Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

Analytical Graphics, Inc

107,000 Planned Satellites By 2029

Published 29th July 2020

This video depicts the spacecraft applications that have been filed with the FCC, ITU and in some cases from announcements in mainstream media. Note that the orbit raise and disposal phases are not modeled in the video. This represents the maximum large constellation traffic we can anticipate, as some of the operators filing these applications may not survive the whole process of getting their application approved, obtaining the necessary funding, making their business case close, obtaining the necessary launch and operations tempo required to build, deploy, sustain and reenter so many spacecraft. But even if a conservative 20% of the 107,000 spacecraft shown in this video attain operational status, that represents a 10X increase in the number of active spacecraft being operated today.

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (30th July 2020)

3. Link to Post #29882
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Default Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

Seeker

Diamonds Could Unlock The Mysteries Of Earth’s Core

Published 30th July 2020

We’ve never been able to journey to the center of the Earth, but thanks to an incredibly innovative experiment, we may not have to go there to understand what it's like.

Historically, we’ve explored our planet's interior using seismic measurements—basically, measuring vibrations that pass through the Earth to tell us more about what’s going on in there. Thanks to research like this we know the Earth has an innermost, super dense solid core, surrounded by a less dense, liquid outer core

But now, an exciting new experiment tells us details about the Earth’s core that we’ve never had access to before by using something called a diamond anvil cell, two diamonds pressed together to create a tremendous amount of pressure, to achieve its results.

By putting a sample of a material in a diamond anvil cell we can see how it behaves under these extreme pressures, which is exactly what these researchers did with liquid iron. Iron is not only the 6th most abundant element in the universe, it’s also thought to make up a large part of the core of our own planet, and the cores of Mercury and Mars.

Read More:

First of its kind experiment uses diamond anvils to simulate the Earth's core
    https://phys.org/news/2020-04-kind-d...ate-earth.html
    "For the first time, experiments and simulations have shown researchers details about this outer core that were previously unobtainable. And these studies reveal some fascinating details."

Why is the earth's core so hot? And how do scientists measure its temperature?
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...arths-core-so/
    " Iron is the only element that closely matches the seismic properties of the earth's core and is also sufficiently abundant present in sufficient abundance in the universe to make up the approximately 35 percent of the mass of the planet present in the core."

Earth's inner core is doing something weird
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...-tests-reveal/
    "Better understanding the history and current dynamics of the iron blob nestled within our planet could yield more clues to the processes charging and stabilizing our magnetic field—a geologic force field that protects our world from various kinds of harmful radiation."

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

5. Link to Post #29883
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

VolcanoYT

Timelapse | Merapi Volcano, Indonesia

Recorded & Published 30th July 2020

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Volcano Time-Lapse

Explosion | Volcán de Fuego, Guatemala

Recorded & Published 29th July 2020

At 02:13 CDT an activity registered.

&

Ejecta| Popocatepetl Volcano, Mexico

Recorded 29th & Published 30th July 2020

At 20:49 CDT ejecta was observed at Popocatepetl Volcano.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Ivanhoe (2nd August 2020), william r sanford72 (30th July 2020)

7. Link to Post #29884
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

MetaBallStudios

Moons Size Comparison

Published 18th July 2020

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (30th July 2020), william r sanford72 (30th July 2020)

9. Link to Post #29885
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Dr Becky Smethurst

The Mysterious Echo From The Sun: The IBEX Ribbon

Published 29th July 2020

In 2009 the IBEX satellite detected an excess of atoms reflected back from a particular spot at the edge of the solar system that originally came from the Sun. To this day this echo, dubbed the "IBEX ribbon" is unexplained. Could it be something to do with the Milky Way's magnetic field? Or something more sinister that might affect future human exploration of the solar system?

McComas et al. (2009) - https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...02B5AgURVJDf3Q
    Heerikhuisen + (2010) - https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...708/2/L126/pdf
    Schwadron & McComas (2013) - https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...X/764/1/92/pdf
    Grzedzielski et al. (2010)- https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1.../715/2/L84/pdf (public; https://arxiv.org/pdf/1004.3917.pdf)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

11. Link to Post #29886
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Astrum

Are We Actually In A Nebula?

Published 28th July 2020

What really is a nebula, and are we in fact in one? What is the Local Interstellar Cloud? Astrum Answers!

Last edited by Star Tsar; 30th July 2020 at 15:52.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Harmony (30th July 2020), william r sanford72 (30th July 2020)

13. Link to Post #29887
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Learn The Sky

Rho Ophiuchi

Published 28th June 2020

The Rho Ophiuchi Cloud Complex is a region of this sky in the southern portion of the constellation Ophiuchus. This nebula stretches into the boundaries of Scorpius and lies close to Antares, the brightest star of the scorpion constellation. It is estimated to be 3,000 times more massive than our own Sun. This stellar nursery is close to our own Solar System at an estimated 400 to 460 light years away.

0:40 - Ophiuchus Pattern
    1:05 - Star Map of Ophiuchus
    3:03 - Celestial Object in Ophiuchus
    3:33 - Map of Rho Ophiuchi Cloud Complex
    5:37 - Overview of Rho Ophiuchi Cloud Complex
    10:26 - Photo Attributes

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (30th July 2020), william r sanford72 (30th July 2020)

15. Link to Post #29888
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

What's Up: August 2020

Published 31st July 2020

What are some skywatching highlights in August 2020? See the Moon posing with various planets throughout the month, plus catch the peak of the annual Perseid meteor shower.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (2nd August 2020), william r sanford72 (3rd August 2020)

17. Link to Post #29889
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Lowell Observatory

Mars Hill Almanac | What's In The Sky August 1st - 14th 2020?

Published 1st August 2020

Tune in on the 1st and 15th of each month to see what's happening in the night sky over the next couple weeks or so.

Highlights for August 1-14 include Jupiter and Saturn in the sky all night long, with Mars rising late in the evening, and the Perseid meteor shower on August 11. We also look at the constellation Sagittarius and some its many deep-sky objects, including the Lagoon nebula (M8) and the Trifid Nebula (M20).

Related musical interlude

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (2nd August 2020), william r sanford72 (3rd August 2020)

19. Link to Post #29890
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 31st July - 2nd August 2020

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (2nd August 2020), Harmony (3rd August 2020), william r sanford72 (3rd August 2020)

21. Link to Post #29891
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Geoengineering Watch

Global Alert News | Episode 260

Published 1st August 2020

While most are understandably focused on the societal changes that have taken place in recent months, existential background threats are being almost completely overlooked. Distracting populations from dire and immediate environmental threats serves establishment objectives of maintaining public complacency. The ozone layer continues to collapse, an updated report from a former NASA contract engineer is covered in this broadcast. How long has climate engineering been deployed? A just acquired report from a US Navy officer that sounds the alarm is also covered in this broadcast.

Supporting link: https://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/...st-1-2020-260/

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Harmony (3rd August 2020)

23. Link to Post #29892
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Weather Events

Worldwide Wild Weather

Recorded 31st July & Published 1st August 2020

Turks & Caicos Islands - Severe flooding
    Puerto Rico - Severe flooding July 31st
    Dominican Republic - severe flooding July 31st
    Bahamas - Hurricane July 31st
    South Korea - Flooding July 31st
    France - Fire July 31st
    Las Vegas, USA - Fire July 31st
    Sudan - Dam Collapse July 31st

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (2nd August 2020), Harmony (3rd August 2020), william r sanford72 (3rd August 2020)

25. Link to Post #29893
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 3rd August 2020 | Solar Wind, Freshwater Changes, Extinction Review

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (3rd August 2020), Harmony (3rd August 2020), william r sanford72 (3rd August 2020)

27. Link to Post #29894
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

What Da Math? With Anton Petrov

Early Earth Expanded & Cracked - Creating Continents

Published 31st July 2020

In this video Anton will talk about a new analysis that suggests origins of the plate tectonics on Earth.

Paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-17480-2
    Plate tectonics simulation by Ian Webster: https://dinosaurpictures.org/ancient-earth
    Plate tectonic PHET sim: https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulat...lpha&view=grid

&

Study Suggests Dark Matter Could Form Some Craters On Earth

Published 2nd August 2020

In this video Anton will talk about a study that suggests certain craters on Earth may be produced by a type of particles that could also be dark matter.

More about Strange Matter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_matter
    Paper: https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2007/2007.04826.pdf
    Paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-09087-3
    Thorough explanation of strangelets: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1904.04534.pdf
    Simple explanation: https://science.howstuffworks.com/sc...nge-matter.htm

Last edited by Star Tsar; 3rd August 2020 at 15:16.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Harmony (3rd August 2020), william r sanford72 (3rd August 2020)

29. Link to Post #29895
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Box Van Dee

Meteor Crater In Arizona - A Wonder Of The World

Published 30th July 2020

A lady called Dee takes us on a field trip...

Last edited by Star Tsar; 3rd August 2020 at 15:29.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

31. Link to Post #29896
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Nemesis Maturity

Earth Is Entering A Stream Of Debris From The Perseid Meteor Shower

Published 3rd August 2020

Earth is entering a stream of debris from giant Comet Swift-Tuttle, source of the annual Perseid meteor shower. Forecasters expect the shower to peak on the morning of Aug. 12th with many fireballs slicing through the light of a last-quarter Moon. NASA's network of all-sky cameras is already detecting a few Perseid fireballs every night over the USA.

Comet Swift-Tuttle has a huge nucleus--about 26 km in diameter. Most other comets are much smaller, with nuclei only a few kilometers across. As a result, Comet Swift-Tuttle produces a large number of meteoroids, many of which are hefty enough to produce fireballs.

Indeed, a 6-year study by NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office found that the Perseids produce more fireballs than any other annual shower.

During the Perseid meteor shower, which lasts for weeks, comet debris particles a few cm wide hit the atmosphere with an average speed of 59.6 km/s (133,350 mph). The average magnitude of the resulting fireballs is -3.7, about as bright as Venus. More fireballs are in the offing as Earth moves deeper into the comet's debris stream. Generally speaking, the best time to look is during the dark hours before sunrise when the shower's radiant is high in the sky.

Read all about it here: https://www.newsweek.com/asteroid-pa...r-year-1521046

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (3rd August 2020), Harmony (3rd August 2020), william r sanford72 (3rd August 2020)

33. Link to Post #29897
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

NASA Goddard

Studying Trojan Asteroids With Lucy

NASA’s Lucy mission is launching in 2021 and will fly by seven different Trojan asteroids that are orbiting the same distance from the Sun as Jupiter. This video highlights the four main science objectives and the instruments aboard the spacecraft that will be utilized. Lucy will be the first space mission to study the Trojan asteroids, which are remnants of our early solar system.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

35. Link to Post #29898
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Lowell Observatory

Sagas In The Sky | Lyra

Published 2nd August 2020

Sagas in the Sky explores some of the stories behind the stars in the night sky. In this episode, we look at the stories connected to Lyra.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (3rd August 2020)

37. Link to Post #29899
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

EarthSky.org

Is There Life Below The Martian Surface?

Galactic cosmic rays that penetrate the Martian surface can potentially trigger the kind of chemical reactions that biological life can harness for metabolism. That’s according to a new study published July 28, 2020 in Scientific Reports, an online peer-reviewed journal published by Nature. Researcher Dimitra Atri – of New York University Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates – is lead author of the new study, which peers (theoretically) below the Martian surface to see how likely it is for life to survive. He said:

It is exciting to contemplate that life could survive in such a harsh environment, as few as 2 meters [6 feet] below the surface of Mars.

Read all about it here: https://earthsky.org/space/is-there-...artian-surface

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

39. Link to Post #29900
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

It's [Redacted].

NASA's Missing UFO Reports: Found

Published 28th July 2020

00:00 Intro
    1:32 Carter White House writes NASA
    3:25 NASA says they don't study them
    4:00 Condon Report missing chapter
    5:19 Gemini 4 first UFO sighting
    6:50 Gemini 4 second UFO sighting
    7:24 Gemini 7 UFO sighting
    8:54 Conclusion

The Condon Report, funded by the U.S. Air Force, was published in 1968 and suggested continued study of UFOs would yield no scientific discoveries. Buried in the report, though, are three "unidentifieds" determined to be UFOs seen by astronauts in Earth's orbit in 1965.

The astronauts on Gemini 4 and 7 saw the objects, and after thorough examination, even the Condon analyst deemed them a puzzle and ruled them unknown.

This is curious for two reasons. One: the chapter of astronaut sightings has mysteriously gone missing from many mainstream versions of the report, such as the primary copy on file at the Defense Technical Information Center. It is also missing from the Internet Archive. Only in an obscure Dept. of Commerce database can we find this missing chapter.

Two: NASA's own form letter they sent to UFO inquiries for decades cited the Condon Report as evidence that it didn't need to look at UFOs, and even claimed the astronaut sighings were nothing, at odds with Condon. This comes despite internal memos stating NASA was informally collecting UFO debris under a nicknamed operation "UFOHEAP."

Sources in order of mention

R.C. Henry paper and memos: https://documents.theblackvault.com/...fodocsnasa.pdf

Condon Report with missing chapter: https://documents2.theblackvault.com...t-Complete.pdf

NTRL search: https://ntrl.ntis.gov/NTRL/

DTIC version with missing pages: https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/680975.pdf

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1495 of 1822 FirstFirst 1 495 995 1395 1445 1485 1495 1505 1545 1595 1822 LastLast