+ Reply to Thread
Page 1400 of 1820 FirstFirst 1 400 900 1300 1350 1390 1400 1410 1450 1500 1820 LastLast
Results 27,981 to 28,000 of 36385

Thread: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

1. Link to Post #27981
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

Default Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

APOD Podcast

A Harvest Moon

Broadcast & Published 13th September 2019

In today's image we see the full moon rising over the horizon in France. This month's full moon (occurring on the 13th or 14th depending on your location) will be known as the harvest moon because of its timing with the harvest in many parts of the world.

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (14th September 2019), william r sanford72 (15th September 2019)

3. Link to Post #27982
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

It's Just Astronomical!

The Moon Is Drifting Away: Tidal Locking

Published 13th September 2019

How the effects of tides are causing the moon to drift away and the earth's rotation to slow down.

Related musical interlude

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

5. Link to Post #27983
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Physics Girl

The Surprising Ways Mars Is Hostile To Life

Wanna know all the reasons Mars will kill you and how we know? Physics Girl hits up her friend Raquel Nuno who's a planetary geologist to find out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (15th September 2019)

7. Link to Post #27984
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,179 times in 10,108 posts

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Star Tsar (14th September 2019), william r sanford72 (15th September 2019)

9. Link to Post #27985
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

SciShow Space

What Happened To India's Moon Lander?

This week, scientists try to figure out what went wrong with India's moon lander, and what went right with a newly discovered, naturally occurring mineral.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

11. Link to Post #27986
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

European Southern Observatory

ESOcast 206 Light: VISTA Unveils the Large Magellanic Cloud

ESO’s VISTA telescope has been surveying our neighbouring galaxy, the Large Magellanic Cloud for about a decade. The observations revealed in unprecedented detail the properties of 10 million stars in the galaxy. As a result, astronomers have got new opportunities to study stellar evolution, galactic dynamics, and variable stars.

This video compares an infrared image of the Tarantula nebula in the neighbouring galaxy the Large Magellanic Cloud from ESO's VISTA telescope to a more traditional view in visible light.

This video compares a huge new infrared image of the Large Magellanic Cloud from ESO's VISTA telescope to a more traditional view in visible light. By observing at longer infrared wavelengths VISTA can penetrate the dust clouds of this neighbouring galaxy and reveal the stars much more clearly.

This pan video explores the vivid face of our neighbouring galaxy, the Large Magellanic Cloud on an image produced by ESO's VISTA telescope.

This video zooms on the Large Magellanic Cloud as revealed by the ESO's VISTA infrared survey telescope at the Paranal Observatory in Chile. Astronomers used this image to analyse in detail about 10 million individual stars in the Large Magellanic Cloud.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

13. Link to Post #27987
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Seeker

How ESA’s Dark Energy Telescope Will Map The ‘Dark Universe’

ESA is building its first space telescope to investigate how dark energy and dark matter control our universe.

The universe is filled with planets, meteors, black holes, and galaxies—each with their own set of mysteries. But one of the best concealed aspects of deep space exists in what scientists describe as “the dark universe.”

The dark universe is where dark energy and dark matter are hidden, interacting with the matter we can actually see.

And because we can’t see this dark side directly, scientists know very little about dark energy and dark matter. It has taken decades to attempt to understand the dark side, but ESA’s space telescope mission, named Euclid, might just give us some answers.

The Euclid mission could piece together the puzzle that surrounds dark energy and dark matter, essentially helping us understand how the universe works.

ESA’s Euclid space telescope will not only map the geometry of the dark universe and provide it’s cosmic history, Euclid will also observe and analyze the shape and redshift of thousands of millions of galaxies spanning back 10 billion years.

Ultimately, this will provide a large-scale 3D map that allows scientists to see how dark energy has played a significant role in the universe's expansion.

Euclid will also be on the hunt for Baryonic Acoustic Oscillations or what ESA describes as “wiggle patterns” within galaxy clusters. These patterns provide a standard ruler method for measuring dark energy with the expansion rate of the universe.

Find out more about dark matter, dark energy, and the Euclid mission on this episode of Countdown to Launch.

Read More:
    Euclid Mission: Science Goals
    http://sci.esa.int/euclid/42267-science/
    "Until about thirty years ago astronomers thought that the Universe was composed almost entirely of ordinary matter: protons, neutrons, electrons and atoms. In the intervening years the emerging picture of the composition of the Universe has changed dramatically."

What is Dark Energy?
    http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/D/Dark+Energy
    "In the early part of the 20th century Albert Einstein had invoked a ‘cosmological constant’, (usually symbolized by the Greek letter lambda, Λ). It was a vacuum energy of empty space, which kept the universe (predicted by his field equations of the General Theory of Relativity) static, rather than contracting or expanding. It provided a way of balancing the gravitational contraction caused by matter. Once the universe was observed to be expanding Einstein hastily removed his cosmological constant."

Euclid Consortium: A space mission to map the Dark Universe
    https://www.euclid-ec.org/
    "Euclid is an ESA medium class astronomy and astrophysics space mission. Euclid was selected by ESA in October 2011 (see the Euclid ESA page). Its launch is planned for 2022. In June 2012 ESA officially selected the “Euclid Consortium” as the single team having the scientific responsibility of the mission, the data production and of the scientific instruments."

Last edited by Star Tsar; 14th September 2019 at 10:11.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

15. Link to Post #27988
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Cool Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

Royal Museums Greenwich

Insight Investment Astronomy Photographer Of The Year Competition Overall Winners 2019

Astronomy photos are, quite literally, out of this world.

If you're a fan of captivating images of the moon, sun, galaxies, stars, and aurorae, you should definitely check out the photography from this year's Insight Investment Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition.

The winners, runner-ups, and highly commended photos have just been announced, and they offer stunning depictions of everything from the 35 phases of the total lunar eclipse to striking nebula complexes.

This year's eleventh annual Insight Investment Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition received a record number of more the 4,600 entries, according to a press release, and they were taken from 90 countries around the world.

Read all about it here: https://www.rmg.co.uk/whats-on/astro...verall-winners

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

17. Link to Post #27989
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Space Weather Woman Tamitha Skov

Solar Storm Forecast | Sound the All Clear After Aurora

This week it's the calm after the solar storm as our Sun settles down for a while. We have only sporadic fast solar wind expected to hit over the next few days, which should bring a light touch of aurora to high latitudes. Mid-latitudes, however, should stay reasonably quiet, with no real chance of aurora over the next few days. The few bright regions that have appeared on the Sun, have disappeared just as quickly so the solar flux remains in the mid to high 60s. This means radio propagation remains poor on Earth's dayside. In addition the quiet conditions also means radio propagation on Earth's nightside might also suffer. At least GPS reception looks to be good all week, pretty much everywhere around the globe. Learn details about the effects the G2 solar storm had last week, catch up on some amazing aurora photos from the storm, and see what else our Sun has in store!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

19. Link to Post #27990
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 14th September 2019 | Meteor, First Sunspot, Wild Star Orbits, Major Flood

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (15th September 2019), william r sanford72 (15th September 2019)

21. Link to Post #27991
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Astrum

What Really Is The Great Attractor?

Published 14th September 2019

Why is everything within 250 million light years being pulled towards the Great Attractor? Astrum answers!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

23. Link to Post #27992
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

APOD Podcast

Little Planet To Exoplanets

Broadcast & Published 14th September 2019

In today's image, we see a compressed view of the Earth. We also can see some of the telescope domes from the mountains of Chile (being used in the search for planets outside our solar system), the Magellanic Clouds and a laser being shot into the atmosphere.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

25. Link to Post #27993
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

The Moore Show

John Lear Debates The Bob Lazar Story

Published 7th September 2019

John Lear is a retired airline and for the past 25 years, John has researched the subject of UFOs and other related conspiracies.

He insists that the United States Apollo missions never went to the moon and that the moon is inhabited with a civilization of more than 500 million humans like us but considerably more advanced who did not come from the earth. John's research holds that our solar system has 40 planets, not 9 and that all planets and their moons and satellites are inhabited by humans similar to us as well as Extra Terrestrials.

He further states that mankind was conceived, engineered and built by ET's who secretly control our lives and that mankind is only one strand of an infinite number of strands of life.

John Lear talks UFO's with George Knapp "On The Record" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGQkkHuwm6w John Lear 1987

Spring Valley Library UFO lecture summer 1988. This was my first UFO lecture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaVLa_Od0N8

REAL UFO? Bob Lazar John Lear - Area 51 Groom Lake 03/22/1989 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN-48L4yWbY

&

The Bob Lazar Story Debated With U.S. Army Colonel & Intelligence Consultant John Alexander

Published 10th September 2019

John B. Alexander, Ph.D., was an Army colonel when he retired and went to Los Alamos National Laboratory. For over five decades he has studied intensely various phenomena including UFOs, remote viewing, near-death experiences, psychokinesis and others and has met with shamans all over the world. His most recent book is "Reality Denied: Firsthand Experiences with Things that Can't Happen - But Did."

26. Link to Post #27994
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Radio America TV

Special Prosecutor With Larry Klayman | Dr Steven Greer | Mounting Lies & Deceit By Gov't & Media! UFO Cover-Up!

Dr Steven Greer stands before Special Prosecutor Larry Klayman to testify about the UFO cover up by the governments of this world & The mainstream media.

Skip to 13 minutes for Dr Greer's segment.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

JRS (18th September 2019), william r sanford72 (15th September 2019)

28. Link to Post #27995
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Exploring The Bizarre

Nick Redfern | UFOs! Russian Disinformation! Inside Area 51!

Exploring the Bizarre (KCORradio.com) honchos Tim Beckley and Tim Swartz welcome their ole friend NICK REDFERN to talk about his important new book, "Flying Saucers And The Kremlin." Its not so much about UFO sightings
    inside the former Soviet Union but how the US and Russia played a cat and mouse game when it came to releasing and propagating misleading information in what can only be described as "Cold War antics." The FBI believed that interest in UFOs in the United States was being manipulated by Soviet spies. This along with discussing Area 51 possibly being used as a honey trap to lure in Russian agents. Are UFOs space ships? Or is it a phenomena used in a covert manner to string along the public and to manipulate our thinking?

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (15th September 2019), william r sanford72 (15th September 2019)

30. Link to Post #27996
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Erica Lukes

Skinwalker Ranch | A Real Perspective

Former BAASS investigator, Chris Marx, shares an intimate glimpse into the world-renowned Skinwalker Ranch.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (16th September 2019), william r sanford72 (15th September 2019)

32. Link to Post #27997
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Tales From The Rabbit Hole

Seth Shostak | ETs, UFO "Disclosure" & Area 51

Seth Shostak is the Senior Astronomer for the SETI Institute and former Director of Center for SETI Research. A popular science communicator, Seth has hosted SETI's weekly radio show (and now podcast) Big Picture Science since 2002. We discuss the work of SETI, and some of the more interesting developments. We also talk about the UFO "Disclosure" conspiracy theory, which suggests the US government is covering up evidence of extraterrestrial encounters and is (perhaps) on the verge of disclosing this information. We also discuss the related cultural phenomenon, Storm Area 51.

0:56 - The evolution of SETI
    2:13 - Astrobiology
    3:37 - Fast Radio Bursts
    6:20 - Would aliens even use radios?
    7:57 - Storm Area 51
    10:04 - The Femi Paradox
    13:05 - Could Aliens Hear our TV signals? Probably can pick up Radar.
    15:00 - The Drake Equation, does it predict UFOs?
    17:00 - Is the Drake Equation useful?
    18:40 - Can you make SETI-type observations of other Galaxies
    19:45 - What's the closest star that's is interesting?
    21:00 - Tabby's Star - Alien Megastructure, or dust clouds?
    22:45 - Seth Shostak's interaction with the UFO community
    24:00 - Types of mistakes that UFOlogists make.
    24:20 - "Disclosure" - The US Government covering things up.
    26:32 - To The Stars Academy
    27:10 - The Navy IR videos, Go Fast, Gimbal.
    29:28 - Mick tries to explain the Gimbal rotation (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_bX... )
    31:00 - UFO's in popular culture, pros and cons for science literacy. Mostly harmless
    34:00 - Flat Earth
    35:20 - Is SETI covering up ET's so it can continue to get funding? What would you do if UFOs are really aliens?
    36:55 - Genomic Wow signal - evidence of aliens in DNA? Not a bad idea.
    39:18 - SETI and Anthropomorphic Assumptions (assuming aliens are human-like)
    40:25 - Von Neumann self-replicating machines populating the galaxy?
    41:58 - UFO enthusiast's sometimes negative view of Seth Shostak
    44:10 - Shostak's personal "UFO" experiences
    46:02 - Advice for UFO enthusiasts
    50:14 - Last words - "If you think there are aliens out there, then work on proving that to me"

SETI Institute: https://www.seti.org/
    Big Picture Science: http://radio.seti.org/

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

34. Link to Post #27998
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

UFO News Network Sunday

Steve Bassett & Michael W. Hall | The Burden Of Proof Has Shifted

Published 15th September 2019

Steve Bassett and Michael W. Hall join us to discuss Michio Kaku's recent statements on UFOs, the Area 51 event and a whole lot more.

See the full interview with Michio Kaku here: https://youtu.be/1BXFTBKmvzI

35. Link to Post #27999
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 15th September 2019 | Water Emergency, Earth/Sun/Galaxy Electric Sheets

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (17th September 2019)

37. Link to Post #28000
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Flare Aware

14th - 15th September: 24 Hour Solar Activity

Published 15th September 2019

This short video is the 304 imagery from NASA SDO during the course of the past 24 hours (Saturday, 14 Sep 2019 to Sunday, 15 Sep 2019).
    From this video you'll be able to visually see sunspot, solar flare and coronal mass ejection (CME) events from the past 24 hours. Please feel free to post remarks in our timeline for anything interesting you see.
    What is a solar storm? What is emergency preparedness and how does it relate to solar storm preparedness?
    Learn about solar flares and protect your family and friends by visiting http://FlareAware.com/weather. Your source for instant severe solar weather alerts direct to your phone.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (17th September 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1400 of 1820 FirstFirst 1 400 900 1300 1350 1390 1400 1410 1450 1500 1820 LastLast