+ Reply to Thread
Page 1439 of 1819 FirstFirst 1 439 939 1339 1389 1429 1439 1449 1489 1539 1819 LastLast
Results 28,761 to 28,780 of 36380

Thread: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

1. Link to Post #28761
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

Default Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

PhysicsBuzz.PhysicsCentral.com

Scientists Discover A Mechanism Behind Jupiter’s Mysterious Winds

Published 2nd December 2019

When the astronomer Galileo Galilei first set his sights on Jupiter through his telescope in 1610, he noticed two strange things: First, there four small moons orbiting the planet, and second, planet had these strange alternating bands of color. Now, over 400 years later, we’re looking at these stripes on the Solar System’s largest planet in a way we never have before.

Fast forward to the year 2011: NASA has launched the Juno spacecraft (who’s name has a strange origin story) towards Jupiter, and after a lengthy four-year trek, it finally began its orbit of the gaseous planet. The Juno mission’s overarching goal is to understand how Jupiter formed, which could tell us about the enigmatic origins of our solar system. Equipped with a magnetometer, an energetic particle detector, a UV spectrograph, and a host of other analytical devices, Juno is transmitting a boatload (or spaceshipload if you will) of data back to earth. With that data, scientists aim to unlock the secrets of this massive, swirling ball of gas.

Until Juno, scientists weren’t sure what lies below its impressionist painting-like surface. We’re still not even sure if it has a solid core. In 2016, using radio signals that mapped the distribution of mass in Jupiter’s atmosphere, Juno found that below a depth of 3,000 km (4% of Jupiter’s diameter), the winds just stop.

Now, scientists have come up with a new reason why.

Read all about it here: http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.co...sm-behind.html
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Cara (5th December 2019), Valerie Villars (4th December 2019), william r sanford72 (13th December 2019)

3. Link to Post #28762
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

It's Bloody Science!

Venus Could Host Life Despite No Magnetic Field, Study Says

Published 3rd December 2019

The Earth’s magnetic field is a first line of defense against cosmic rays. These high energy particles move through space at almost the speed of light, and come from explosive events like supernova and active galactic nuclei.

Cosmic rays are as menacing as they sound — they’re ionizing, meaning they carry enough energy to detach electrons from molecules. For life, that’s not good. Ionizing radiation damages living tissue and increases cancer rates.

With no magnetosphere, extinction events would probably be more common. And on planets without one, life couldn’t exist there, right? Well...not quite.

A new paper from scientists in Germany and the Jet Propulsion Lab suggests Venus, of all places, could theoretically host life in its clouds despite not having a large, protective magnetic field like we do.

"Revisiting the cosmic-ray induced Venusian radiation dose in the context of habitability," Herbst et al (2019) pre-print: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1911.12788.pdf

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th December 2019), Cara (5th December 2019), Valerie Villars (4th December 2019), william r sanford72 (13th December 2019)

5. Link to Post #28763
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Question Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

V101 Science

What Would You See If You Fell Into Uranus?

Published 22nd November 2019

The seventh planet from the Sun with the third largest diameter in our solar system, Uranus is very cold and windy. The ice giant is surrounded by 13 faint rings and 27 small moons as it rotates at a nearly 90-degree angle from the plane of its orbit. But what does it look like inside? Find out, as we dive directly into Uranus!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Cara (5th December 2019), Valerie Villars (4th December 2019), william r sanford72 (13th December 2019)

7. Link to Post #28764
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

University Of Colorado

Professor Bruce Jakosky | Can We Terraform Mars?

Published 4th December 2019

People have been talking recently about “terraforming” Mars—making the environment more Earth-like by raising the atmospheric pressure so that people wouldn’t need spacesuits, and raising the temperature to allow liquid water to be stable at the surface. If this could be done at all, it would require using carbon dioxide (CO2), which is an effective and naturally occurring greenhouse gas. We would need to find sinks where the CO2 on Mars has gone and figure out how to put the CO2 back into the atmosphere. Is there enough CO2 on Mars to allow this? How easy would it be to mobilize the CO2 and put it back into the atmosphere?

In this Nov. 6 2019 presentation, LASP’s associate director for science and principal investigator for NASA’s MAVEN Mars orbiter, Bruce Jakosky, discussed how much CO2 was ever present on Mars, where it went, and whether it’s possible to put it back into the atmosphere to terraform the planet. He also spoke about future exploration plans for Mars, using both robotic and human missions, and the potential for colonizing Mars.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Cara (5th December 2019), william r sanford72 (13th December 2019)

9. Link to Post #28765
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Volcano Time-Lapse

Eruption | Sakurajima Volcano, Japan

Recorded & Published 3rd December 2019

At 17:59 (5:59PM) JST an explosion was recorded at Sakurajima Volcano, Japan

Last edited by Star Tsar; 4th December 2019 at 12:36.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

11. Link to Post #28766
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 4th December 2019 | Space Weather Health Alerts, Exoplanets, Galactic Spin

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (4th December 2019), Cara (4th December 2019), william r sanford72 (13th December 2019)

13. Link to Post #28767
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

APOD Podcast

Electric Night

In today's image, we see the Milky Way galaxy as we look out over the Mediterranean Sea. Off in the distance, we also see some lightning bots from a distant storm.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (5th December 2019), william r sanford72 (13th December 2019)

15. Link to Post #28768
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

SciShow Space

Three Ways To Slingshot A Star

The star-mapping satellite Gaia has found more than 20 stars speeding across the Milky Way toward intergalactic space. There are just a few things that can slingshot a star out of a galaxy and all of them take some extreme gravitational interactions.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (13th December 2019)

17. Link to Post #28769
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Hubble Space Telescope

Serge Dieterich | Red & Brown Dwarfs: Understanding Our Smallest & Closest Stellar Neighbours

The majority of stars in our galaxy are smaller than our sun and some have diameters as small as Saturn’s. Many small red dwarfs are among the closest stars to our solar system, but are quite faint, making them harder to study. Both as individual objects and as a population, small stars have intriguing characteristics, some with distinct implications for what life on their planets could be like. It is also important to consider what properties are necessary for a body to be considered a star and how small stars are different from their lower mass cousins, the substellar brown dwarfs.

Presentation begins @ 16:55

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

19. Link to Post #28770
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Seeker

The Existence Of White Holes May Settle One Of Physics’ Biggest Debates

A black hole is a region of space where so much mass is packed together so densely that it forms what is called a singularity, and nothing can move fast enough to escape its gravitational pull—not even the fastest thing in the universe (we’re talking light) can escape the clutches of a black hole.

And because light can’t escape, no one can really see what is going on inside a black hole. So we end up relying on theories and equations to deduce exactly what is happening at the center of the event horizon.

There are two competing explanations to describe black holes: Einstein’s theory of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

Albert Einstein’s theory of general relativity states the mass of a black hole bends spacetime so much that it becomes one single point of infinite density, but according to quantum mechanics there cannot be an infinitely small point.

It can be very very small, but not infinitely so. And this irreconcilable difference is one of the greatest debates in physics, since general relativity is our best description of gravity, while quantum mechanics has been called the most successful theory ever.

But some physicists believe white holes could square these two predictions.

Find out more about white holes and how a white hole could reveal what is really happening inside a black hole on this episode of Elements.

Read More:
    What Are White Holes?
    https://phys.org/news/2015-10-white-holes.html
    "White holes are completely theoretical mathematical concepts. In fact, if you do black hole mathematics for a living, I'm told, ignoring the mass of the singularity makes your life so much easier."

Black Holes
    https://science.nasa.gov/astrophysic...as/black-holes
    "Don't let the name fool you: a black hole is anything but empty space. Rather, it is a great amount of matter packed into a very small area - think of a star ten times more massive than the Sun squeezed into a sphere approximately the diameter of New York City. The result is a gravitational field so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape. "

If you think black holes are strange, white holes will blow your mind
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...low-your-mind/
    "Because of the peculiar elasticity of space-time as understood with Einstein’s theory, “the other side of the centre” can simply be in the future of the hole. This is hard to visualise, but the result is simple: in the first part of its life, the hole is black and matter falls in; but during the second, after the quantum transition, it is white and matter bounces out."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (5th December 2019)

21. Link to Post #28771
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Anton Petrov

Strange Planet Mascara-4b Discovered Using "Gravity Darkening"

Published 3rd December 2019

Anton talks about a new planet called Mascara-4b that was discovered using a new method known as Gravity Darkening.

Paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1911.05025.pdf

Last edited by Star Tsar; 6th December 2019 at 08:55.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Cara (5th December 2019), william r sanford72 (13th December 2019)

23. Link to Post #28772
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

The Freezone

David Mathisen | Finding Humanity In the Stars

Published 1st December 2019

The ancient wisdom points towards the accessibility of divinity "with a god dwelling within the human breast" and the myths demonstrate time after time that the gods work their will through our very own actions & efforts.
    Because of this fact, the gods are always available to us, at any moment.

We see that the gods stand ready to help, and that their help is very real and decisive - but that it is, in effect synergestic with the actions and resolve to the one who calls upon them -we have within us what we already need, including access to the divine realm of the gods, through our own inner connection to the infinite, if we learn to avail ourselfs to it.

In this broadcast Freeman & David explore the connections between the ancient myths of Earth & The stars.

One can listen here: https://freemantv.com/finding-humani...avid-mathisen/
    Last edited by Star Tsar; 6th December 2019 at 08:48.

24. Link to Post #28773
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Isaac Arthur

Welcome To The Galactic Community!

Published 5th December 2019

We often wonder how we might first meet extraterrestrials, picturing flying saucers and UFOs landing and aliens emerging asking to be taken to our leader - but joining the galactic community might be a very strange experience.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

26. Link to Post #28774
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

60 Minutes Australia

People Who Believe They Were Abducted By Alien Spaceships

Published 25th October 2018

If a whole group and range of people have the same experience of the same thing happening to them, well, you tend to believe them don't you? Ah, but if that experience is of being captured by aliens and hoisted into a spaceship, now that's an entirely different matter.

No, then you call them crackpots and dismiss them out of hand. That is, unless you're a Harvard Professor, a very distinguished one. In that case you write a book, come in for ridicule but make a lot of people re-think their views on aliens, and those who say they've been abducted by them.

Last edited by Star Tsar; 6th December 2019 at 09:19.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th December 2019), william r sanford72 (13th December 2019)

28. Link to Post #28775
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Podcast UFO

Chris Lambright | Mysteries Of The US Navy & UFOs

Streamed & Published 3rd December 2019

Guest Chris Lambright discusses his research into the US Navy, and its relation to UFOs, which includes the USS Nimitz UFO Encounter, also Bigelow Aerospace as well as connections between the US government & TTSA and more.

CHRISTIAN LAMBRIGHT has worked extensively in Computer Technology and Internet services, has a background in graphic arts, illustration, and CGI, and holds a degree in Psychology from Baylor University. He is a former investigator for the Center for UFO Studies and contributor to the Computer UFO Network, and is a licensed private investigator. Currently in Austin, Texas, he is working on a documentary film on a classic sighting, doing independent research, and always writing.

CHECK OUT HIS 22 PAGE DOCUMENT ON THE SUBJECT HERE:

https://podcastufo.com/show-notes/ch...-us-navy-ufos/ & https://drive.google.com/file/d/1waE...e3ivr3EAy/view

29. Link to Post #28776
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

The Black Vault

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) Sighting Database

Reports of unmanned aircraft (UAS) sightings from pilots, citizens and law enforcement have increased dramatically over the past two years. The FAA now receives more than 100 such reports each month. The agency wants to send out a clear message that operating drones around airplanes, helicopters and airports is dangerous and illegal. Unauthorized operators may be subject to stiff fines and criminal charges, including possible jail time.

The FAA continues to work closely with its industry partners through the “Know Before You Fly” campaign to educate unmanned aircraft users about where they can operate within the rules. The agency also is working closely with the law enforcement community to identify and investigate unauthorized unmanned aircraft operations. The FAA has levied civil penalties for a number of unauthorized flights in various parts of the country, and has many open enforcement cases.

The FAA encourages the public to report unauthorized drone operations to local law enforcement and to help discourage this dangerous, illegal activity.

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) Sighting Database, November 2014 – June 2019 [1,301 Pages, 8.2MB]

.zip File of Excel Spreadsheets and .PDF compilation [9MB]

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th December 2019)

31. Link to Post #28777
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

ZMEScience.com

Exoplanet Telescope CHEOPS Gears Up For Launch Day

The European Space Agency’s (ESA) space telescope CHEOPS (CHaracterising ExOPlanet Satellite) begins its journey into space aboard the Soyuz rocket on December 17th. In preparation for the launch from French Guiana, collaborators in the mission, the ESA, the University of Geneva and the University of Bern held a press conference on the morning of the 5th December.

The gathered experts from the respective agencies discussed the mission–the ESA’s first ‘S-Class’ or small scale project–the international collaboration that brought it together and the role CHEOPS will play in the investigation of Exoplanets and the search for life elsewhere in the universe.

Read all about it here: https://www.zmescience.com/space/exo...or-launch-day/

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

33. Link to Post #28778
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 5th December 2019 | Parker Probe, Sphere Nova, Snow Records

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

35. Link to Post #28779
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Volcano Time-Lapse

Eruption | Sakurajima Volcano, Japan

Recorded & Published 5th December 2019

At 17:56 JST an explosion was registered. @ Sakurajima Volcano, Japan

Volcano YT footage

Last edited by Star Tsar; 6th December 2019 at 10:04.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

37. Link to Post #28780
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Nemesis Maturity

Rare Atmospheric Wave Supercharges Noctilucent Clouds Over The Southern Hemisphere

A rare atmospheric wave nearly half as wide as Earth itself is supercharging noctilucent clouds (NLCs) in the southern hemisphere. NASA’s AIM spacecraft detected the phenomenon in a series of south polar images spanning Nov. 24th through Dec. 3rd.

“This is a clear sign of planetary wave activity,” says AIM principal investigator James Russell of Hampton University, which manages the Aeronomy of Ice in the Mesosphere mission for NASA.

On Dec. 1st, skywatchers from New Zealand reported the appearance of blue-ish clouds, a rare sighting for latitude of 45S.

Noctilucent clouds over Antarctica itself are nothing unusual. They form every year around this time when the first wisps of summertime water vapor rise to the top of Earth’s atmosphere. Molecules of H2O adhere to specks of meteor smoke, forming ice crystals 83 km above Earth’s surface.

But these NLCs are different. They’re unusually strong and congregated in a coherent spinning mass. Southern hemisphere NLCs are seldom seen outside Antarctica, so this is a rare event.

Sky watchers in south island of New Zealand, Tasmania, southern Chile/Argentina and the Falkland Islands should be alert for an electric-blue glow on the western horizon after sunset.

Read all about it here: https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2019...lucent-clouds/

&

Geminid Meteor Shower 2019

Every year in early December, Earth passes through a stream of debris from 'rock comet' 3200 Phaethon. This causes a meteor shower that sometimes lasts more than two weeks.

Geminid meteor shower is one of the best of the year. This year's Geminid meteor shower will peak on December 13th and 14th with as many as 120 meteors per hour. You'll be able to see some meteors before and after the peak days too.

Geminid meteoroids fly out of the constellation Gemini. They hit the top of Earth's atmosphere traveling about 35 km/s or 78 thousand miles per hour.

The source of the Geminid meteor shower, 3200 Phaethon, looks a lot like an asteroid. Indeed, it comes from the asteroid belt and its colors resemble the colors of other asteroids in the rocky zone between Mars and Jupiter. Yet 3200 Phaethon has an unusual orbit that brings it deep inside the orbit of Mercury. When this happens, it brightens and sprouts a little tail in mimicry of a comet.

The debris stream of 3200 Phaethon is broad and massive. So the shower is fairly active all the way from December 12 to December 16. Of all the debris streams Earth passes through every year, the Geminids' is by far the most massive. The meteors that streak across the sky are some of the fastest and brightest among meteor showers, because the Earth is hitting a stream of particles almost head on.

If possible, get far away from city lights, which can hinder the show. The best time to watch this shower will be between the hours of midnight and dawn - regardless of your time zone. So, log off, pack up your stargazing kit and enjoy the show!

Clear Skies Everyone!

&

NASA's TESS Catches A Comet Outburst In Unprecedented Detail

Using data from NASA’s Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS), astronomers at the University of Maryland (UMD), in College Park, Maryland, have captured a clear start-to-finish image sequence of an explosive emission of dust, ice and gases during the close approach of comet 46P/Wirtanen in late 2018.

This is the most complete and detailed observation to date of the formation and dissipation of a naturally-occurring #comet #outburst. The team members reported their results in the November 22 issue of The Astrophysical Journal Letters.

Read all about it here: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...edented-detail

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (6th December 2019), Franny (7th December 2019), william r sanford72 (13th December 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1439 of 1819 FirstFirst 1 439 939 1339 1389 1429 1439 1449 1489 1539 1819 LastLast