+ Reply to Thread
Page 1449 of 1822 FirstFirst 1 449 949 1349 1399 1439 1449 1459 1499 1549 1822 LastLast
Results 28,961 to 28,980 of 36433

Thread: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

1. Link to Post #28961
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,691 times in 13,806 posts

Default Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

Dr Becky Smethurst

Galaxies Can Die?! | Quenching 101

Published 12th February 2020

Galaxies are made up of billions of stars. And stars can die. So - does that mean a galaxy can die? Technically yes, if you stop it from making more stars after the old ones have died. Let's recap some of the processes we think can do that...

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (15th February 2020)

3. Link to Post #28962
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

What Da Math? With Anton Petrov

Major FRB Discovery! First Ever Signal That Repeats Every Sixteen Days

Published 11th February 2020

Anton talks about a recent discovery of the first ever repetitive and predictable fast radio burst known as FRB 180916.J0158+65 discovered by Canadian scientists using CHIME.

Paper:

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

5. Link to Post #28963
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Red face Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

APOD Podcast

The Pale Blue Dot

Published 14th February 2020

In today's image, we see The Pale Blue Dot - which is our planet Earth as seen by the Voyager 1 spacecraft at a distance of 4 billion miles. The original image was taken as part of the Family Portrait of the solar system 30 years ago. And the recently reprocessed image shows our home plant as seen from the edge of the solar system.

Related musical interlude

I did not realise how much I love this planet & All that reside here...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Blacklight43 (14th February 2020), Bluegreen (14th February 2020), william r sanford72 (15th February 2020)

7. Link to Post #28964
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Deep Astronomy

Apophis Asteroid Is Coming In 2029

The Apophis Asteroid is going to get very close to Earth in 2029! How/will it impact us? Apophis is classified as a Potential Hazardous Asteroid (PHA) to Earth and astronomers want to use the event to learn more about how these celestial bodies will affect Earth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

9. Link to Post #28965
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Volcano Time-Lapse

Eruption | Popocatepetl Volcano, Mexico

Recorded & Published 13th January 2020

At 00:55 CST an explosion was registered at Popocatepetl Volcano, Mexico.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (14th February 2020), william r sanford72 (15th February 2020)

11. Link to Post #28966
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Last edited by Star Tsar; 14th February 2020 at 11:54.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (14th February 2020), william r sanford72 (15th February 2020)

13. Link to Post #28967
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

John Michael Godier's Event Horizon

Trevor Williams | Could First Contact With Aliens Be Unsettling?

Published 13th February 2020

A discussion between John Michael Godier and sci-fi author Trevor Williams about the many possible reactions and scenarios of first contact with an Alien Civilization.

Buy Eternal Shadow by Trevor Williams here: https://amzn.to/2uEnHXW

Trevor Williams: https://www.trevorwrites.com/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

15. Link to Post #28968
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Fraser Cain

Q&A 117: Why Am I So Negative About Aliens? And More... Featuring Dr. Jason Wright

Streamed & Published 13th February 2020

In this week's questions show, I explain why I've got such a skeptical view about the search for aliens if there might be multiple great filters, and why NASA doesn't just go back and use Apollo hardware to return to the Moon?

Follow Dr. Wright on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/astro_wright

00:40 Are there multiple Great Filters?
    02:35 Could we refuel ships in space to land on Mars
    06:01 Could we put a light on the Moon to prove what we landed there?
    08:18 Will James Webb Launch?
    09:52 What will it take to confirm signs of life?
    12:30 How long until cosmic rays die down?
    16:03 Why don't we just use Apollo hardware to go back to the Moon?
    19:46 Why am I so negative?
    22:29 Good sources of journals?
    25:43 When will you believe that it's actually aliens?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Blacklight43 (14th February 2020), william r sanford72 (15th February 2020)

17. Link to Post #28969
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

It's [Redacted].

Did A UFO-Air Force Encounter Accidentally Kill Four People In New York?

Buried in a Project Blue Book file dated 1954 is a story that’s been forgotten by most...save for residents of Walesville, a small village in upstate New York.

That July, an Air Force F-94 Starfire was flying toward an unidentified object to investigate it when something went wrong. Within 25 minutes, the plane would crash, taking the lives of four people on the ground — destroying two houses and an automobile with a family inside.

A military spokesman said a fire caused the crash, but an investigation later found no evidence of smoke or oil in the remnants of the cockpit. The official USAF investigation blamed a series of coincidences for the crash, but a report written by Donald Keyhoe is in the Blue Book file, which suggests the UFO itself was to blame. Electromagnetic interference from UFO encounters has been seen many times before, so this fits that pattern.

As we'll show in the video, the full story is filled with contradictory statements from USAF personnel at the time, and even inaccurate explanations given to journalists in 1954 that were only learned to be misleading when these files were declassified.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Blacklight43 (14th February 2020)

19. Link to Post #28970
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Paul Stonehill Paranormal Research

UFOs: Celestial Battle In The Soviet Arctic

Published 11th February 2020

The object was able to move through space in any direction; it achieved incredible speed and was able to stop immediately…
    “ a flying machine, its shape and size that of a haycock; something that emitted pillars of light at night”. Please take measures to detect airplanes. If possible, he ordered the troops to shoot at the aircraft…

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (18th February 2020)

21. Link to Post #28971
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

TEDx Talks

Alexander Wendt | Wanted: A Science Of UFOs

Published 4th February 2020

If any UFOs proved to be extra-terrestrial it would be one of the most important events in human history. Yet there has long been a taboo in modern society on taking UFOs seriously, which has blocked any systematic science to try to determine what they are. Skeptics will say that is because UFOs do not exist, but the US Navy has recently confirmed that they do, and is making an official policy change to reflect this fact, from ignoring its pilots’ UFO encounters to requiring them to file reports. Yet even with the Navy’s revelation,
    the UFO taboo remains so strong that the scientific community continues to show no interest in whether or not UFOs are ETs. In this talk Alexander Wendt argues that the UFO taboo is incoherent and unjustified, and proposes a crowd-funded science of UFOs as a way of beginning to learn more about these elusive phenomena. Alexander Wendt received his Ph.D. in political science from the
    University of Minnesota in 1989. He subsequently taught at Yale, Dartmouth, and the University of Chicago before moving to The Ohio State University in 2004. His research interests center on international relations, where he is one of the most cited scholars in the field, and the philosophy of social science. He is the author of two books, Social Theory of International Politics (Cambridge, 1999), which won the “Best Book of the Decade” award from the International Studies Association in 2006; and Quantum Mind and Social Science (Cambridge, 2015), which hasn’t won anything yet.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

23. Link to Post #28972
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

John Michael Godier

The Search For Extraterrestrial Intelligence In Radio

Published 15th February 2020

An in-depth exploration of why astronomers focus so heavily on radio astronomy with SETI, or the search for intelligent extraterrestrial life.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

25. Link to Post #28973
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

TheGuardian.com

Astronomers To Sweep "Entire Sky" For Signs Of Extraterrestrial Life

Astronomers will sweep the entire sky for signs of extraterrestrial life for the first time, using 28 giant radio telescopes in an unprecedented hunt for alien civilisations.

The project is a collaboration between the privately-funded Seti Institute and the Very Large Array observatory in New Mexico, one of the world’s most powerful radio observatories. Gaining real-time access to all the data gathered by VLA is considered a major coup for scientists hunting extraterrestrial lifeforms and an indication that the field has “gone mainstream”.

Normal astronomy operations will continue at the VLA, which was featured in the 1997 film Contact, but under the new arrangement all data will be duplicated and fed through a dedicated supercomputer that will search for beeps, squawks or other signatures of distant technology.

Read all about it here: https://www./science/2020/feb/15/ast...rrestrial-life

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

27. Link to Post #28974
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 14th & 15th February 2020

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Last edited by Star Tsar; 16th February 2020 at 19:11.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (16th February 2020), william r sanford72 (18th February 2020)

29. Link to Post #28975
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Geoengineering Watch

Global Alert News | Episode 236

Climate engineering, the coronavirus outbreak and countless other converging factors are taking their toll on modern civilization and the planet's life support systems. The Pentagon is preparing pandemic quarantine centers in the US, how bad will the outbreak get? Why is the World Health Organization involved with bio-weapons labs? Snow just fell in Mexico, Baghdad and Saudi Arabia, while the majority of the planet is melting down. What's wrong with this picture? Australia has gone from flames to floods, can it get any worse? Are the same scenarios in store for us all?
    No matter how daunting the challenges are before us, it is imperative to press forward with our combined efforts to sound the alarm. All are needed in the critical battle to wake populations to what is coming, we must make every day count.

Supporting link: https://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/...y-15-2020-236/

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (16th February 2020), william r sanford72 (18th February 2020)

31. Link to Post #28976
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Cool Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

NASACrewEarthObs

Over The United Kingdom To The Middle East - 23rd January 2020

The series of shots for this time-lapse video were taken by the Expedition 61 crew on board the International Space Station on January 23, 2020 from 21:23:19 to 21:42:27 GMT. The video starts on a night pass over the United Kingdom area, then travels past the major cities of Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Katowice, Kyiv, and Tehran. Towards the end of the video, there is a cluster of blue lights just south of Kuwait City; these are most likely boats. Long periods of darkness is typically due to the ISS passing over a body of water. Cities will often line the coast of the water bodies; this video shows the North Sea, Black Sea, Caspian Sea, and the Persian Gulf.

A Trip Up the North American East Coast - 29th December 2019

This time-lapse video was taken by the Expedition 61 crew on board the International Space Station. The sequence of shots were taken on December 28, 2019 from 09:00:19 to 09:10:11 GMT, on a night pass over North America's east coast. The video starts over the Gulf of Mexico near the coast of Louisiana, then travels northeastern and passes by Birmingham and a cloudy Atlanta. As the ISS continues, it passes other cities like Richmond, VA, Charlotte, and Greensboro, NC. The long string of major cities illuminate this part of the east coast. Washington, DC, Baltimore, MD, Philadelphia, PA, New York, NY, and Boston, MA, then finally ends over the Bay of Fundy by Nova Scotia.

A Night of Meteors & Auroras - 4th January 2020

The series of shots for this time-lapse video were taken by the Expedition 61 crew on board the International Space Station on January 04, 2020 from 11:09:00 to 11:33:50 GMT. On a night pass over the North Pacific Ocean, the ISS looks north and travels into the terminator line to capture a meteor shower, aurora borealis, and cities in British Columbia and Alberta, Canada. What look like tiny white streaks flying towards Earth, are actually the meteors in the meteor shower.

Earth Glow & Stars

This time-lapse video was taken by the Expedition 61 crew on board the International Space Station. The sequence of shots were taken on December 30, 2019 from 22:40:00 to 23:10:15 GMT, on a night pass over Africa. The ISS passes over yellow-hued city lights while bright bursts of lightening fill the sky. The star of this time-lapse video is the star field above the Earth glow around the atmospheric limb.

Visit the Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth @ http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

33. Link to Post #28977
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Scott Manley

NASA Studies New Missions To Venus, Io Or Triton

NASA's Discovery program works with universities to develop low cost missions to solar system targets. Yesterday they announced 4 finalists from the latest batch VERITAS, DAVINCI+, Io Volcano Observer, and Trident. These missions cover Venus, Io and Triton with launches in the 2020's. However the award only covers designing the mission and only 2 are expected to proceed to actual mission status.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

35. Link to Post #28978
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

SciShow Space

How Pluto's Heart Makes Its Atmosphere Spin Backward

Pluto's heart is revealing itself to be a major influence on the dwarf planet’s landscape and atmosphere, and scientists used atom probe tomography (APT) for the first time on lunar soil to study it atom by atom!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

37. Link to Post #28979
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

What Da Math? With Anton Petrov

Binary Stars Could Stabilize Planets to Be Habitable!

Anton talks about whether binary star systems could sustain Earth like planets

Paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1911.08431.pdf

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Blacklight43 (16th February 2020), Bluegreen (16th February 2020), william r sanford72 (18th February 2020)

39. Link to Post #28980
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 16th February 2020 | Sun Controls Lightning, Major Flood Outlook

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (20th February 2020), william r sanford72 (18th February 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1449 of 1822 FirstFirst 1 449 949 1349 1399 1439 1449 1459 1499 1549 1822 LastLast