Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 7 9 LastLast

Thread: Ham radio information needed

1. Link to Post #121
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,741 times in 1,499 posts

Default Re: Ham radio information needed

Quote Posted by Operator (here)
    Quote Posted by scanner (here)
    The equivalent in the UK is , The Emergency planning office .
    How convenient, in the UK they actually 'plan' the emergencies ? ...
    Oh, yes, we don't leave our emergencies open to chance. That would be reckless now wouldn't it

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Operator (6th June 2014)

3. Link to Post #122
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I have a midland CB with a small antenna, and 40 channels, I cannot link up to anyone , does anybody know why? thanks

4. Link to Post #123
    Thanks

1) Are you using it in an area where other CB stations are likely to be operating?
    2) Is the 'small antenna' designed for CB 27 MHz? Have you checked the antenna connections for open circuits or short circuits?
    3) Is it a 27 MHz CB set? I guess it is but you haven't provided the model number.
    4) Have you any way of confirming that the transmitter is transmitting?
    5) Have you any way of confirming that the receiver is receiving?
    6) I guess you may not be too familiar with the workings of RF. Nevertheless, do you have any relevant test equipment?
    7) Did you see it working before it came into your ownership?
    8) Are there any CB or amateur radio groups near you? If so there would be someone who could probably help.

Unfortunately it could be so many things, but some information may help narrow it down a bit.

Nick

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Operator (28th November 2014), sound consciousness (6th September 2014)

6. Link to Post #124
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hello Nick ,
    I have not got a clue about this hand held radio, cannot find the paperwork about it.IT has 40 channels red button EMG...AFTER THE CHANNEL it has EC and it runs on batteries and is a hand held set thanks

7. Link to Post #125
    Thanks

Red button 'Channel 9' emergency. If it's a UK set it's likely to be 27.68125 MHz.

There is probably a model number somewhere in the battery compartment, or on the back unless it's fallen off.

Nick

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Operator (28th November 2014), sound consciousness (7th September 2014)

9. Link to Post #126
    Thanks

Hi Bill hope you are well. Out of curiosity, did the Ham radio idea off you kick off? Very good idea. My father in law is an EXPERT. He also is an expert at Morse code. Just wondering if you ever broadcast and did you get round to obtaining a licence. If so, I would love to hear from you.

http://hackgreensdr.org:8901/

The above link is for a massive Antenna based at an old RAF base called Hack Green. Not far from Chester in the UK. Have a look I think you will find it interesting

All the best

Kev

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KevBoh For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Nick Matkin (28th November 2014), Operator (28th November 2014)

11. Link to Post #127
    Thanks

There are now a number of radio remotely accessible by anyone now spread across the globe.

New technology (obviously back-engineered from the Roswell crash ) allows multiple listeners access to any particular receiver.

This is one of the lists of showing the receivers available. Hack Green is included. http://www.websdr.org/

Nick

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Operator (1st December 2014)

13. Link to Post #128
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

My husband and I just purchased a reasonably priced ham radio set-up for Ready Made Resources. The next obstacle is to locate another ham operator who will mentor us toward the goal of obtaining a license. So, if there are any lists which people know of, please let us know. If I find such a list a head of time, I will share it on the forum.

Thank you,
    KL

14. The Following User Says Thank You to norski For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019)

15. Link to Post #129
    Thanks

I expect you bought the equipment knowing it was in full working order and whether it was most suitable for local or international communication.

As you're in the US, the American Amateur Radio Relay League would probably be your first point of contact.

A quick search in QRZ.com brings up 46 listed radio amateurs sharing your zip code.

There are various levels of amateur radio licence, and the higher the qualifications you achieve the more privileges you get, e.g. higher power, more bands, etc.

If you just put the equipment names/numbers into Youtube, you'll probably find out quite a lot if you are not already familiar with it, but you will almost certainly need the operating manuals. Most are downloadable for free.

The biggest problem many people have (even relatively experienced operators!) is installing an efficient antenna, designed correctly for the appropriate band(s) to get the signal out and be able to receive signals with minimum interference. Remember also that connecting a bad antenna or the wrong type can damage the transmitter stages of the equipment leading to a very expensive repair, unless you can fix it yourself.

There's not as much 'woo-woo' junk science associated with ham radio antennas (most radio amateurs are technically savvy) as there is in say Hi-Fi or medicine, but there is some. For the HF bands I'd suggest making your own wire antennas to known designs and for VHF/UHF buying from reputable dealers.

Good luck and good DX!

Nick
    Last edited by Nick Matkin; 4th July 2015 at 20:53.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), kanishk (5th July 2015), Operator (18th November 2015)

17. Link to Post #130
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Quote Posted by norski (here)
    My husband and I just purchased a reasonably priced ham radio set-up for Ready Made Resources. The next obstacle is to locate another ham operator who will mentor us toward the goal of obtaining a license. So, if there are any lists which people know of, please let us know. If I find such a list a head of time, I will share it on the forum.

Thank you,
    KL
    Practice exams for U.S. licensing are available several places on the web. Here is just one http://www.hamtesting.com/ptChoose.php

Practice exams can be very helpful, especially when they respond to an incorrect answer with the correct answer.

If you post your zip code or city, I may be able to find and send information to connect you with a local radio club or nearby amateur radio operator.
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 4th July 2015 at 22:32.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), kanishk (5th July 2015), Operator (18th November 2015)

19. Link to Post #131
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I think in conclusion... just buy any set you can afford because in a apocalyptic situation I doubt very much someone will be asking to see your license to operate.

20. Link to Post #132
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,000 times in 370 posts

You need a licence , Oops
    Am I one of many or am I many of one ? interesting .

21. The Following User Says Thank You to scanner For This Post:

22. Link to Post #133
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Harley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,344 times in 1,378 posts

Quote Posted by M0JFK (here)
    I think in conclusion... just buy any set you can afford because in a apocalyptic situation I doubt very much someone will be asking to see your license to operate.
    True.

But if you watch the TV series The Walking Dead you may decide that it's probably not such a great idea to try to find other survivors!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Harley For This Post:

24. Link to Post #134
    Thanks

It is my understanding that the Smeter grid uses the same frequencies as (ham) amateur radio operators.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Gillian For This Post:

26. Link to Post #135
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gillian (here)
    It is my understanding that the Smeter grid uses the same frequencies as (ham) amateur radio operators.
    What is the frequency of the Smeter grid? Some of the amateur radio bands are shared, but not many because mutual interference would be a significant problem.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

28. Link to Post #136
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

when a smart meter system intentionally transmits data on a so-called ISM (Industrial, Scientific and Medical) band that is shared with the Amateur service there CAN be interference.. but normally when (they don't ALL have RF transmitters) a smart meter contains an RF transmitter:

The frequency of operation is typically in the 902 MHz and 2.4 GHz bands.
    Power output is typically 1 watt in the 902 MHz band and much less in the 2.4 GHz band.
    The intended range of a transmitter in a smart meter is typically very localized. While the utility-side radio needs to reach a neighborhood concentrator, typically mounted on a nearby pole, smart meters can also mesh through other smart meters to communicate with the concentrator. (using five hops or less).The smart meter only communicates when it is commanded to do so, typically several times a day.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Nick Matkin (8th November 2016)

30. Link to Post #137
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Thank you thank you thank you

Now I understand why the electrical utility company here wanted to change the traditional meters, even if we paid not to be on the smart meter check up. IT was for the jumping grid meshing smart meters togethr, in order to get information from my neighbours

This means that even if I am not connected to the Electrical utility company, my meter still behave as a smart meter and is still dangerous for health, true or not?

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    when a smart meter system intentionally transmits data on a so-called ISM (Industrial, Scientific and Medical) band that is shared with the Amateur service there CAN be interference.. but normally when (they don't ALL have RF transmitters) a smart meter contains an RF transmitter:

The frequency of operation is typically in the 902 MHz and 2.4 GHz bands.
    Power output is typically 1 watt in the 902 MHz band and much less in the 2.4 GHz band.
    The intended range of a transmitter in a smart meter is typically very localized. While the utility-side radio needs to reach a neighborhood concentrator, typically mounted on a nearby pole, smart meters can also mesh through other smart meters to communicate with the concentrator. (using five hops or less).The smart meter only communicates when it is commanded to do so, typically several times a day.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), TargeT (8th November 2016)

32. Link to Post #138
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    Thank you thank you thank you

Now I understand why the electrical utility company here wanted to change the traditional meters, even if we paid not to be on the smart meter check up. IT was for the jumping grid meshing smart meters togethr, in order to get information from my neighbours
    and every service that they had to actually drive to your house for can be done remotely with smart meters (this is the biggest reason).

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    This means that even if I am not connected to the Electrical utility company, my meter still behave as a smart meter and is still dangerous for health, true or not?
    maybe if you have your electric meter as a pillow.

people need to get familiar with the inverse-square law its S U P E R important when working about radiation. (RF is radiation, sunlight is radiation, your cellphone = radiation, etc, they all are constrained by the inverse-square law)

Summary: no your health is not at risk.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Bob (8th November 2016), Flash (8th November 2016), Nick Matkin (8th November 2016)

34. Link to Post #139
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)

[...]people need to get familiar with the inverse-square law its S U P E R important when working about radiation. (RF is radiation, sunlight is radiation, your cellphone = radiation, etc, they all are constrained by the inverse-square law)

Summary: no your health is not at risk.
    Agreed, and those of us familiar with the subject all know that. But there are plenty of people who unwittingly accept he nocebo effect, and will present various non-scientific websites to support their belief.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

36. Link to Post #140
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Operator (here)
    What do you need to know or start to do/organize ?

Somehow we probably need a list of existing HAM radio operators ... or a special interest group.
    I've met other HAM radio operators on this forum ... but people are reluctant to exchange call signs because you can look up a lot of them
    via the internet and literally get to know who is who and where they live.

Although I have no doubts that everything is monitored and some agencies exactly know who I am and where I live I can imagine
    that it still is another thing to share it with everybody publicly on the internet.
    Yes, I am very reluctant to disclose my ham radio callsign on any public forums for exactly that reason. I expended a lot of effort, time, and money, in the process of going off-grid. Ham radio takes a back seat to the safety and security of myself and my family, even though it is a part of my overall plan of keeping in touch when I choose to do so.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TouchTone For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Billy (3rd January 2017), JRS (4th January 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 7 9 LastLast