+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 3 10 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Houses

1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks

Default Re: Tiny Houses

Quote Posted by Orobo (here)
    For anyone, even moderately, interested in building or living your own way...check out this publisher:

http://www.shelterpub.com/index.html

I was given their Shelter-book more then ten years ago, by a californian residing in the neighbourhood. It was so powerful it helped channel all my creative ideas about building and living. Ka-boom.

Have bought all their books since and lived and built my life.

I have lived for five years in a wooden backyard house, norwegian style, from 1880. 21m2 ( 225ft2 )in total, with my daughter, who was one year old at the time we moved in. Heating and cooking on wood, and had a tiny bit of electricity for lighting. Could do without that. No bills. Scrounging wood in the city up north here was easy. Moved out only to live in a bigger house with my girlfriend and all the kids.

Everyday is an adventure. As it should be. Anything else hurts my soul. Pinching a bit in different places every day.

Check out this site www.husly.net and http://www.bauhaus-dessau.de/index.p...008-husly_en-1

Attachment 19247

as they got to the 4th placement in the prestigious Bauhaus award in 2008. An international architecture award with projects from more than 125 countries.

In short it is a modular house built from pallets. Designed to be copied by people living around cities in the need of housing. It was built as a part of the Generator project and lived its life ever after. Now situated in Trondheim, Norway, as an artist residency AND being reviewed to be approved by the building code authority.
    It is a long term project, cos as the saying goes "time is money". With no money, you need time.

love, O.
    When I was a young man and first setting out into the the world to try to make my own way, I found a copy of the original "Shelter" in the local library. The timing was perfect and it was a tremendous joy to climb right into the book and explore all of the possible roofs that I could place over my head. It was a tattered book and felt as though it had lived an exciting life of its own, accompanying a variety of young adventurers as they crafted their own individual, unique abodes. I found my ideal piece of land -- completely impractical and precariously sloped -- and was romantically drawn to the panoramic view that rewarded the determined climber. I would bring potential girlfriends there to see how they reacted to the task of hiking up and would gauge their potential based on this. I still have the land and have yet to build anything of significance on it. A life that I didn't choose kidnapped me and held me captive for the bulk of my prime years and now I only dream about what could have been. Deep sigh.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zelig For This Post:

carriellbee (13th November 2013), Krist (30th October 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (15th November 2012)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

If I end up in the Virgin Islands I'll definately be looking into options like this, perhaps partially or fully burried conexs.

Good site:
    http://www.shedandshelter.com/

This page has some interesting container houses (I'm assuming this is the easiest route so this is where my interest is currently.)

http://www.homedit.com/22-most-beaut...ng-containers/

I imagine using 4 containers with an open central area (green house? court yard? enclosed and used as living space?)

another interesting option is what these guys put out :

http://www.monolithic.com/
    Last edited by TargeT; 15th November 2012 at 18:38.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Krist (30th October 2013), Milneman (13th December 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (15th November 2012), thunder24 (15th November 2012), WanderingRogue (16th November 2012)

5. Link to Post #43
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

i'm working on a partial underground house now.... in the future, hopefully imma bury a container and add on... I really like the idea
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

Ron Mauer Sr (15th November 2012)

7. Link to Post #44
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,182 times in 1,657 posts

Quote Posted by Dawn (here)

I have a lot of free time in this lifestyle.

I've posted this before on the forum but I'll do it again here. Here is a photo history of our tiny and productive garden, you can also see the little old-fashioned trailer I call home for now: www.ourtinygarden.com
    That garden looks like so much fun!!!

I don't even have a balcony in this humid old bug-infested apartment and I pay more than 700 dollars for it too No plants for me

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Violet For This Post:

Ron Mauer Sr (15th November 2012)

9. Link to Post #45
    United States Avalon Member ruthy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am so glad someone did a thread on this!! I love the tiny house movement!! I recently discovered with my fiance a documentary online about this subject. Here is a link to the video for anyone to watch it online for free it inspired me greatly :D Enjoy!!!

I also have a pdf book "Tiny House Book" by the originator of this movement, and I tried to attach it, but it's too large to post on here..if anyone wants me to email it to them, send me a message with their email addy and I'll happily send it your way!! It's about 200 pages long, has great photos, blueprints, and instructions on how to build different models
    Last edited by ruthy; 10th September 2013 at 00:54.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruthy For This Post:

Ol' Roy (10th September 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (10th September 2013)

11. Link to Post #46
    Thanks

I just wanted to update; I've completely gone hypocritically against what I posted in this thread, I decided that with 4 children this type of living was not feasible & purchased a large house... i guess it's not as easy as it seems.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

chocolate (12th November 2013), Corncrake (13th September 2013), Dennis Leahy (12th September 2013), Krist (30th October 2013), Milneman (13th December 2013), thunder24 (11th September 2013)

13. Link to Post #47
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Quote I've completely gone hypocritically against what I posted in this thread, I decided that with 4 children this type of living was not feasible & purchased a large house... i guess it's not as easy as it seems.
    Not a single hypocritical word there, only common sense, I assume your 4 kids are not leprechauns and they dont fit under the kitchen sink, so, bigger house.

Btw, I could even respect an up front hypocrite, he who has never changed his mind never learned a damn thing.

14. Link to Post #48
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

I am so glad that this thread has been re-awakened. I'm still happily living in my 220 sq ft home with 1/3 used as a workshop. This year I have created a 2nd business (because the first one was created by my partner and I wanted to create something myself). In order to fit it into our compact lifestyle I began to use the 'free' 6x8' backyard shed we found on Craigslist. We sealed the leaky roof with RV roof paint and added electricity via simple extension cords. My new business involves working with stones and an anvil to make custom jewelry. All of my equipment fits in the little shed along with gardening tools for our little organic garden and mailing supplies for both businesses. So now we live in 220 sq ft + 48 ft shed. Living this way is amazing. No financial worries for us here. We remain in the energy of creativity and joy full time without the need to interact with the mainstream business model.

I am looking for a spot of land though. There is no rush, but I'd like a little more nature, and a bigger food-forest around me. I have focused on learning about how the energy of the planet affects our lives. For me in the Northern hemisphere that means I'm looking for a piece of land sloping North, East, or NorthEast, and a clear view to the North and East. For years I've felt the energetic differences in different places as I hiked and camped. The ancient science of Vaastu has put it all in perspective and made it a conscious understanding for me. So I'm being slow and careful with my land hunt, now that I have an understanding of what is needed to create an abundance of the energy I am comfortable living in.

I've spent some time in a cob house here in California and I was amazed at how relaxed my body felt in a home with the floor and walls built from earth. It was a very distinct feeling! That is my new 'dream' ... but the land comes first
    Last edited by Dawn; 11th September 2013 at 21:35.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

carriellbee (13th November 2013), Corncrake (13th September 2013), Dennis Leahy (12th September 2013), Krist (30th October 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (12th September 2013), TargeT (13th September 2013)

16. Link to Post #49
    Thanks

without the need to interact with the mainstream business model.
    That's the magic wand for true happiness and freedom. I'm still trying to find my way to what you've got but I realize that my biggest hindrance is myself.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zelig For This Post:

Corncrake (13th September 2013), Dawn (13th September 2013), Dennis Leahy (12th September 2013), Krist (30th October 2013), TargeT (13th September 2013)

18. Link to Post #50
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

I am so glad that this thread has been re-awakened. I'm still happily living in my 220 sq ft home with 1/3 used as a workshop. This year I have created a 2nd business (because the first one was created by my partner and I wanted to create something myself). In order to fit it into our compact lifestyle I began to use the 'free' 6x8' backyard shed we found on Craigslist. We sealed the leaky roof with RV roof paint and added electricity via simple extension cords. My new business involves working with stones and an anvil to make custom jewelry. All of my equipment fits in the little shed along with gardening tools for our little organic garden and mailing supplies for both businesses. So now we live in 220 sq ft + 48 ft shed. Living this way is amazing. No financial worries for us here. We remain in the energy of creativity and joy full time without the need to interact with the mainstream business model.

I am looking for a spot of land though. There is no rush, but I'd like a little more nature, and a bigger food-forest around me. I have focused on learning about how the energy of the planet affects our lives. For me in the Northern hemisphere that means I'm looking for a piece of land sloping North, East, or NorthEast, and a clear view to the North and East. For years I've felt the energetic differences in different places as I hiked and camped. The ancient science of Vaastu has put it all in perspective and made it a conscious understanding for me. So I'm being slow and careful with my land hunt, now that I have an understanding of what is needed to create an abundance of the energy I am comfortable living in.

I've spent some time in a cob house here in California and I was amazed at how relaxed my body felt in a home with the floor and walls built from earth. It was a very distinct feeling! That is my new 'dream' ... but the land comes first
    Hi Dawn,

If you feel comfortable doing so, I'd love to see a sketch of your 220 sq ft creation.

I've been playing with a 140 sq ft design for a guest house.

Ron

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sugar Shack A.png
Views:	338
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	22787

Name:  Kitchen Cabinet.png
Views: 294
Size:  14.5 KB
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 15th September 2013 at 20:00.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Corncrake (13th September 2013), Dawn (13th September 2013), Dennis Leahy (12th September 2013), Krist (30th October 2013), TargeT (13th September 2013)

20. Link to Post #51
    Thanks

I am currently/coincidentally looking at buying an 8x26ft (208sqft) trailer for the purpose of building a tiny home on. I'd like to see Dawn's floor plan too. I own my house debt-free but it feels ridiculous to be paying taxes, utilities and maintenance on a large box that does not feel like a home.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zelig For This Post:

Dawn (13th September 2013), Dennis Leahy (12th September 2013)

22. Link to Post #52
    Thanks

Quote Ron: Hi Dawn, If you feel comfortable doing so, I'd love to see a sketch of your 220 sq ft creation.
    Quote Zelig: I am currently/coincidentally looking at buying an 8x26ft (208sqft) trailer for the purpose of building a tiny home on. I'd like to see Dawn's floor plan too. I own my house debt-free but it feels ridiculous to be paying taxes, utilities and maintenance on a large box that does not feel like a home.
    Honestly! When I read your remarks I almost fell off my chair in laughter and merriment! Perhaps I need to remind you that I live in a tiny 38 year old travel trailer in a little seedy run down trailer park. I didn't create the trailer, though we have certainly re-formed the interior somewhat to accomodate our workshop and our 2 businesses. I think the key to all of this is to bloom where you are planted. At first when I arrived I must say that I had bouts of angst. After all, I had moved from a luxurious custom home on the top of a hill overlooking Silicon Valley shortly before I moved here. The change was pretty abrupt. I kept working on my internal programming because I knew that there was so much joy in living this way. Eventually the old programming which was foisted upon me by society and upbringing gave out and now I just LOVE being here all the time!!! I'm not worried that I may not be able to build something better, or that I may leave someday. The trick is to love what you are doing and where you are. And this life has a LOT to recommend it! Perhaps this song wonderfully expresses the situation:
    Last edited by Dawn; 13th September 2013 at 05:11.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

Ron Mauer Sr (13th September 2013), Zelig (13th September 2013)

24. Link to Post #53
    United States Avalon Member gripreaper's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,685 times in 3,744 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    I just wanted to update; I've completely gone hypocritically against what I posted in this thread, I decided that with 4 children this type of living was not feasible & purchased a large house... i guess it's not as easy as it seems.
    You mean, you created a negotiable instrument via your signature, which is bonded by your birth certificate, and the bank took the instrument you created and deposited it into an off balance sheet account as a draft, which is CASH, took the CASH and gave you "tenant in possession" based on your ability to pay them again with interest over the next 30 years 3 times the money you gave them at closing, and they pass through part of the cash flow rights to investors without tax consequences and get paid again, clip for exorbitant fees, and get paid again 100 times by fictionalizing your note, leveraging it 100 times creating more credit and get paid again and again and again, and then after three years claim with the IRS that you abandoned the negotiable instrument, avoid the capital transfer taxes, and sever all your rights to the proceeds and keep lawful title to the house even after you pay them three times the amount?

Is that what you mean by "purchased a house"?
    Last edited by gripreaper; 13th September 2013 at 05:28.
    "Lay Down Your Truth and Check Your Weapons
    The Next Voice You Hear Will Be Your OWN"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhS69C1tr0w

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gripreaper For This Post:

Akasha (14th September 2013), carriellbee (13th November 2013), Dawn (13th September 2013), Krist (30th October 2013), Ol' Roy (14th September 2013), TargeT (13th September 2013), ViralSpiral (13th September 2013), Zelig (13th September 2013)

26. Link to Post #54
    Thanks

Quote gripreaper: You mean, you created a negotiable instrument via your signature, which is bonded by your birth certificate, and the bank takes the instrument you created and deposits it into an off balance sheet account as a draft, which is CASH, took the CASH and gave you "tenant in possession" based on your ability to pay them again with interest over the next 30 years 3 times the money you gave them at closing, and they pass through part of the cash flow rights to investors without tax consequences and get paid again, clip for exorbitant fees, and get paid again 100 times by fictionalizing your note, leveraging it 100 times creating more credit and get paid again and again and again, and then after three years claim with the IRS that you abandoned the negotiable instrument and sever all your rights to it and keep lawful title to the house even after you pay them three times the amount?

Rolling on the floor with laughter!

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

CD7 (13th September 2013), Krist (30th October 2013), TargeT (13th September 2013), Zelig (13th September 2013)

28. Link to Post #55
    Thanks

Quote Posted by gripreaper (here)
    You mean, you created a negotiable instrument via your signature, which is bonded by your birth certificate, and the bank took the instrument you created and deposited it into an off balance sheet account as a draft, which is CASH, took the CASH and gave you "tenant in possession" based on your ability to pay them again with interest over the next 30 years 3 times the money you gave them at closing, and they pass through part of the cash flow rights to investors without tax consequences and get paid again, clip for exorbitant fees, and get paid again 100 times by fictionalizing your note, leveraging it 100 times creating more credit and get paid again and again and again, and then after three years claim with the IRS that you abandoned the negotiable instrument, avoid the capital transfer taxes, and sever all your rights to the proceeds and keep lawful title to the house even after you pay them three times the amount?

My god, that was beautiful! I wonder if you'd be willing to devote all of your forum efforts toward providing such clarifications to anybody/everybody's "money"-related posts. I can easily imagine you having a tremendously powerful effect on peoples' perceptions about all of this nonsense. I know that I would benefit greatly from hearing more of your translations.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zelig For This Post:

Dawn (14th September 2013), GreenGuy (5th December 2013), gripreaper (14th September 2013), TargeT (13th September 2013)

30. Link to Post #56
    Thanks

Quote Posted by gripreaper (here)

I gave them -$1,208 at closing... (they gave me a check... all the closing lawyers were in shock)

but yes, all the rest applies.
    Where are you?

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Dawn (14th September 2013), gripreaper (14th September 2013)

32. Link to Post #57
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 times in 1,408 posts

Quote Posted by CD7 (here)
    How about we pay nothing for a SPACIOUS HOME! Isnt this nice...society is making available SHOE BOXES for those who just cant SLAVE enough for an OVERPRICED house. Sick...nope not good enough....Earth is ALL OF OURS and so is its shelter!

I just want to update that, I FEEL THE SAME IF NOT WORSE!

HOUSING IS A F'N TRAVASTY ---- ALL OVER
    We X Billions want to change the world and it appears we are......
    PARADISE IS POSSIBLE EVERYWHERE 4 EVERYONE

33. Link to Post #58
    Thanks

Quote Quote Posted by CD7 (here)
    How about we pay nothing for a SPACIOUS HOME! Isnt this nice...society is making available SHOE BOXES for those who just cant SLAVE enough for an OVERPRICED house. Sick...nope not good enough....Earth is ALL OF OURS and so is its shelter!

I just want to update that, I FEEL THE SAME IF NOT WORSE!

HOUSING IS A F'N TRAVASTY ---- ALL OVER
    Here's the thing. One MUST come out of anger and the determination to remain ever the victim to be able to see the light shining. I had only a suitcase and my car (no money what so ever) when I walked out of my past life. Yet, I was welcomed in home after home. As one house-sit was over, the next appeared like magic. All of them were breathtakingly beautiful and amazing homes in storyland locations. I lived like that for the first 7 months that I walked out of my past life.... until someone I deeply respect presented me with a key that had the letters 'HOME' stamped on it. This is the home I live in now. I could have chosen many beautiful mansions, but I chose this little tiny home in order to be with an amazing person as a partner. You may think this is an odd or unusual story... or even impossible... but I tell you that I know MANY people who live this way full time.

There is my friend A.... who used to be a psychologist and family therapist. She walked out of her life and into a new freedom and way of being 24 years ago. She has never held a job or been homeless ever since. She usually has long term house sitting in the most beautiful and unusual places offered to her all the time. When there are not offers like this, she has friends that consider her presence a blessing and look forward to visits from her whenever she can make them... so she always lives in elegance. Currently she is house sitting in a large custom home in Oaxaca, Mexico. How does she 'pay' for all of this? By being loving to herself and everyone around her. This does not mean that she 'does' anything in particular, it means that she has a way of Being.... Being around A... is like being in a fresh breath of air.

Then there is R.... He has lived without any visible means of support for the past 18 years. He is also like being around a breath of fresh air. He has been living in world class vacation communities for as long as I can remember and often with well known authors and public figures. Currently he lives in a multi million dollor mansion in the Rocky Mountains. How does R do it? He remains in a state of faith and gratitude everywhere he goes.

C... was one of the MOST delightful 'floaters' I have ever had the privilege to know. She was an accomplished healer and trained astrologer. She offered these talents for free wherever she went and was always welcome everywhere. She usually was offered house-sits of a year or longer in the most beautiful places. I always felt like I had had a vacation when I finished a visit with C..., even telephone calls with her rejuvenated me. She died last year and had loving friends jumping over each other to take care of her right up to the end.

I could name another dozen or more people I know who live like this. I know you feel stuck... but I tell you, it is all in your mind... and as long as you feel defeated and angry about your defeat you will remain stuck. Do the best you can to be in gratitude for wherever, and however you live now. Keep blessing and thanking the space that holds you. Keep working on paying attention to what is good about where you are. Allow yourself to cry and be angry, but be aware that you are allowing this in order to let all of it go. And.... when your anger has all run out, allow yourself to explore the possibility that 'shelter as a problem' has never been a real issue... not really.
    Last edited by Dawn; 14th September 2013 at 06:32.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

Milneman (13th December 2013), onawah (14th September 2013)

35. Link to Post #59
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,709 times in 914 posts

It's an illusion to think we 'own' any place. Our home is wherever we are living. It's all temporary. Let's face it, most 'home owners' are simply renting their house from the bank.

Most people have rented their homes until recent history. Samuel Pepys (17th C) was a successful and influential person of his time, and like most people, always rented his home. Now, we are all getting the message that we all have to 'own' our own home, which results in slaving away our life for that goal.

Somehow rents have been allowed to skyrocket, over and above monthly mortgage costs. It should not have been allowed. This in itself is proof of a totally corrupt government. This is how crazy it has become here in the UK:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-23264052
    That's almost $400,000 us$.

I can understand why people get angry with this ludicrous situation. If one wants to escape it, you are force to live in a box on wheels or raise a place to live with your own hands out of the mud!

In the Srimad Bhagavatam, it says people of this age will be so taxed and financially persecuted by their own governments, that they will flee to the shelter of the hills.
    http://vedabase.net/sb/12/2/8/

I must say, however, that I think the small homes are ingenious (and cute!) and are an attractive option for those whose needs are met by them.
    Last edited by Lettherebelight; 14th September 2013 at 08:24.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lettherebelight For This Post:

carriellbee (13th November 2013), chocolate (12th November 2013), Corncrake (27th November 2013), onawah (14th September 2013)

37. Link to Post #60
    Thanks

Quote Lettherebelight: I can understand why people get angry with this ludicrous situation. If one wants to escape it, you are force to live in a box on wheels or raise a place to live with your own hands out of the mud!
    Well, what if this is all GOOD! What if it is forcing some people to develop a different way? I have done some study of Vaastu which looks at how the place we live in affects us. There was a remark in one of the books I read which said something like this:

Quote One of the main reasons for our experiences during the darkness of the Calle Yuga is how our homes are built and where they are built
    During the 7+ months I traveled and floated from place to place I noticed something fascinating. My personality, sleeping habits, and thoughts varied dramatically depending on where I was living. It was such an extreme revelation to me that what I thought of as my personality was really the effect of a place upon me.

I also have been a radionics practitioner for some years now and still do this work when called to. The MOST change always occurs when I work on healing and balancing a property NOT (!) when doing the work on a person's body. It is absolutely stunning beyond anyone's wildest beliefs to watch what happens when I heal and balance a property. Really!

So... what if our entire housing situation needs to be revamped? What if a tiny wholly owned home is the next best step? What if moving into something small where you are deeply happy is a possibility? What if living in a big fancy house ... even for free... does not support your happiness?

The reason I am taking my time in purchasing land is because I have become aware of how energies in the land and in a home built there effect my life. Less than 1% of the houses I've checked out have even a bare possibility of providing supportive energy for spiritual growth, creativity, and financial ease. The few properties that do, usually have a toxic house built on them which screws the energy up totally. Understanding how to live with the energies is a science we have forgotten, as our consciousness has decayed over time. Humanity is re-remembering so many things. What if the best of all worlds is that the currently available housing is TOO expensive for you... and what if everything you ever knew about living in a house was WRONG? What is something else was actually a better solution for you.

Who cares if someone lives in a mud house or a box on wheels if they are HAPPY? I used to live in a multi million dollar home in Silicon Valley and make millions of dollars and I was NOT HAPPY! Now that I understand energies and how to build with them I never would have moved into that 'lovely' Silicon Valley home in the first place.
    Last edited by Dawn; 14th September 2013 at 08:26.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

gripreaper (14th September 2013), Lettherebelight (14th September 2013), Milneman (13th December 2013), onawah (14th September 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 3 10 LastLast