+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss

1. Link to Post #21
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,889 times in 15,481 posts
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th September 2019), janette (10th May 2022), Ol' Roy (25th May 2022), Olaf (4th September 2019), RogueEllis (4th September 2019), Rosemarie (18th June 2022), Sophocles (4th September 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 times in 266 posts

Default Re: Weight Loss

Thanks so much for saving this thread, Bill! (And yes, I hoped instead of starting a new thread it was okay just to bump this one!)

I like the idea of eating during limited hours. I just recently found out breakfast was for "breaking-the-fast" of overnight fasting.

I went walking this morning and I feel so good. Sugar may get you high but so does burning it off!
    Last edited by RogueEllis; 4th September 2019 at 16:23.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RogueEllis For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th September 2019), janette (5th October 2019), Peace in Oz (11th May 2022), Rosemarie (5th September 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,068 times in 456 posts

I think it’s all about “Non Violence”, what Buddhists call Ahimsa.....

All kinds of rigid diets, where you have to skip many kinds of food, or even eat just one kind of food, is violence to the body.
    It’s difficult to keep up with and doesn’t make you feel happy or satisfied in the run. And often it’s a disaster to your social life as well.

Eat what you love and what becomes you, which is what you know and feel is good for you. But then .... HALF THE SIZE you usually take.

2 pieces of bread = one piece
    1 piece = 1/2 a piece
    2 drinks = 1 drink
    2 spoons of whatever = 1 spoon.
    1 cookie. 1/2 a cookie
    So you can eat and drink what you like, just half of it.

You won’t lose weight very fast, but usually one doesn’t gain weight that fast either. However, it’s not difficult to sustain and nobody will notice you are on a “diet”.

You will be hungry at the end of the day, but only for the first 2 or 3 days. By then your stomach has shrunk and the hunger is over. You will enjoy your food by eating everything you love, but in moderation.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Deux Corbeaux For This Post:

Antagenet (5th September 2019), Bill Ryan (4th September 2019), Caliban (5th September 2019), janette (10th May 2022), mojo (10th May 2022), RogueEllis (4th September 2019), Rosemarie (5th September 2019)

7. Link to Post #24
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,221 times in 2,093 posts

Being vegetarian changes lives. I am slim and healthy. I look 10-15 years younger than most people my age.

Eat healthy foods and your body will crave healthy foods.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th September 2019), janette (10th May 2022), mojo (10th May 2022), Rosemarie (6th September 2019)

9. Link to Post #25
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,068 times in 456 posts

Quote Posted by Patient (here)
    Being vegetarian changes lives. I am slim and healthy. I look 10-15 years younger than most people my age.

Eat healthy foods and your body will crave healthy foods.
    Great. You must be an active but moderate person with good genes, like me ...... and I’m not a vegetarian anymore (for try to be a vegetarian , living in France !).

I have a friend who has been a vegetarian by birth, since both her parents were vegetarians. And guess, she has weight problems too and can reduce them only by eating the same food...... bud half of it.
    Last edited by Deux Corbeaux; 8th September 2019 at 07:31. Reason: Clarity

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Deux Corbeaux For This Post:

Antagenet (5th September 2019), Bill Ryan (5th September 2019), janette (10th May 2022), mojo (10th May 2022), Rosemarie (6th September 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 times in 144 posts

Have your thyroid checked if you gain weight rapidly for no specific reason.

Dr. William David, Heart Doctor and author of "Wheat Belly" says it is the worst food for you... It triggers hunger pains, spikes blood sugar worst than a candy bar... causes diabetics, inflammation and digestive problems.

So I thought... No Hunger.. Well, I can do anything without hunger. Sure enough.. it is true. I have been on it about 6 months and have had Zero Hunger pains...I lost 24 lbs... Now I need to cut back on fruits and sugar.

He also wrote the most important medical help book I have seen... "UnDoctored"... I recommend it on CD.. as you can learn driving around. He is outspoken and warns you about the dangers of our food system and medical system. He also has a superscription blog.. and post answers for common medical problems.. Cheapest health advice you can get.. Sign up.. but don't complete the process.. go to close the site.. and they will off you a 50% saving the 1st year.. for about $18.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdido For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th May 2022), Harmony (11th May 2022), janette (10th May 2022), mojo (10th May 2022)

13. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,405 times in 5,642 posts

Thought to revive a thread that is of current interest and also possibly hear from others on similar journeys. Almost a year ago started to make changes but it was only in the last few months took things serious. I'm very hopeful but there is still a long way to go. Found this series of videos for the first time about personal trainers getting fat to help their clients. Wow talk about empathy, and the peoples stories were very inspirational. It really seemed to help stay the course and maybe help others.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

Ankle Biter (10th May 2022), Bill Ryan (10th May 2022), Harmony (11th May 2022), janette (10th May 2022)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,328 times in 2,365 posts

Quote Posted by Referee (here)
    Hi all, I am 39 and the passed two years I have gained some weight about 40 lbs.
    Do you all have any recomendations for natural methods for weight loss and metabolisim lift. I would like to drop at least 20 by mid March for a fitness test I am required to take for officiating.

I really want to know what worked for you.

Kind Regards,

Referee
    A guy I knew lost a lot of weight by eating normally every other day, then the other days eating half the amount.
    Personally I've found that my definition of "full" determines how much I weigh n the long rrun. I've recently lost 25 lbs by eating a smaller amount -- I used to need to stretch my stomach to feel full, but now it's a lot less to feel full.
    I've also found, in the long run, my body doesn't resist the weight loss if I don't change my actual diet, same diet, but less.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Ankle Biter (10th May 2022), Bill Ryan (10th July 2022), Harmony (11th May 2022), janette (10th May 2022), mojo (10th May 2022)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

After researching my BMI and finding myself way over weight, I find a discrepancy with using the daily caloric intake chart. To loose weight a person has to be on a daily calorie deficit but the caloric chart for my age & activity says about 3350 calories daily. I have enough body fat to fill the daily needs so it's difficult to figure out what would be a reasonable calorie deficit without starving. Maybe using half the daily caloric needs will work?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

Ankle Biter (11th May 2022), Bill Ryan (10th July 2022), Harmony (11th May 2022), janette (10th May 2022)

19. Link to Post #30
    Ireland Avalon Member JackMcThorn's Avatar
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,442 times in 570 posts

Quote Posted by mojo (here)
    After researching my BMI and finding myself way over weight, I find a discrepancy with using the daily caloric intake chart. To loose weight a person has to be on a daily calorie deficit but the caloric chart for my age & activity says about 3350 calories daily. I have enough body fat to fill the daily needs so it's difficult to figure out what would be a reasonable calorie deficit without starving. Maybe using half the daily caloric needs will work?
    1/2 is probably not going to be enough calories. I recall the nominal caloric intake is 2ooo to 3ooo calories for men per day. I realised my intake was higher than that and I need to increase my activity. I have a decent breakfast and dinner and a small lunch.
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Ankle Biter (11th May 2022), Bill Ryan (10th July 2022), Harmony (11th May 2022), janette (10th May 2022), mojo (10th May 2022)

21. Link to Post #31
    Australia Avalon Member Ankle Biter's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,662 times in 368 posts

Firstly I want to say to anyone that makes changes to their daily living habits with the intent to improve their physical condition and general well-being, nice one! No matter what your reasons are or your personal goals it takes dedication, perseverance and discipline.. therefore, even the slightest marginal gain is to be commended and viewed as nothing less than success. I wish you all receive the cosmic energy to help you rise up with each fall and keep going.

Right, that's out of the way lol... I guess it's been 15months since I turned my sh|7 around and got serious about living better. Smoked lots of ciggies, was terribly overweight and so unfit that I was looking at death square in the face every time I went upstairs from my office to the kitchen.

I didn't look at counting calories or try science things to n''th degree, not to say there doing this isn't going to be useful to anyone wanting to get trim. Basically All I did was eliminate certain foods (Pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, dairy, refined sugar).. breakfast was oats, nuts & seeds with almond or oat milk and at midday.. dinner the only other meal was 6pm and usually meat and leafy greens & veg. As much as possible when it comes to food I aim for the least amount of processing...It's easier when I grow a lot of my own veg in the garden but am still figuring how is the most humane way I can run down a deer in the forest and bite a clean steak straight out of its ass and cause it no harm... sorry I digress.... I guess this is an intermittent fast.. between meals I'd have a banana before doing weights. Maybe a few almonds near bed time if hunger got really intense.. and in the mornings I'm on a 3-5km hike.

Pretty much it's basically eat less move more.. and eat none of certain things.. just cutting out the sugar alone I'm certain yielded tremendous benefits.. Oh and yes, goes without saying, ditched the ciggies cold turkey. My only vice I guess is 1 coffee no milk or sugar / day. I went from 115kg to 80kg in 9 months and now am maintaining in that range with view to go down another 5-10kg.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. -Lao Tzu

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th July 2022), Blacklight43 (11th May 2022), janette (24th May 2022), mojo (11th May 2022), Orph (24th May 2022), Peace in Oz (11th May 2022)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,328 times in 2,365 posts

a friend of mine just went vegetarian and in 5 months has lost 40 lbs.[/QUOTE]

that's how I gained a lot of weight, vegetarian diet

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Ankle Biter (25th May 2022), Bill Ryan (10th July 2022), Inversion (24th May 2022), janette (24th May 2022), mojo (24th May 2022)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

Lost about 30 lbs since March and more to loose. I never realized that our fat deposits store glucose and help to cause insulin resistance. I have been type 2 since gaining the weight and now understand about fat adapted burning which takes about 1-3 months for our bodies. Food cravings almost disappear when you are fat adapted as well. It took 3 months but now I can avoid those heavy carbs and don't feel like Im missing out. A daily 600 cal burn has helped too.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

Alecs (17th June 2022), Ankle Biter (25th May 2022), Bill Ryan (10th July 2022), Orph (24th May 2022)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Wow just past the 100 day challenge and another 10 lbs lighter, woohoo! It was so easy to pack it on but a whole different story taking it off... Some of the instructors on Youtube mention having to count caloric measurements daily and prepack meals portioned out ahead of time. It sounds like a lot of work, I'm just guessing each day about meals and only considering what food types & the portion. It has worked so far... But in sharing the important thing it is the overall health and energy that keeps me going. I dont feel as old as my age says..
    Last edited by mojo; 16th June 2022 at 16:51.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to mojo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th July 2022)

29. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

This older Ted talk video on Carbs is really helpful especially finding out so many of us have insulin resistance.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th July 2022), JackMcThorn (19th June 2022)

31. Link to Post #36
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 times in 143 posts

Human adenovirus 36 (HAd36/ADV36) infection has been associated with obesity.

Experiments using 3T3-L1 adipocyte cultured cells and human adipose stem cells (hASCc) have shown that HAd36 stimulates the expression of genes implicated in cell differentiation and increased lipid accumulation. The presence of HAd36 in adipose tissue of overweight and obese women has also been confirmed.

It is suggested that ADV36-induced lipogenesis may be mediated by vitamin D deficiency in children with obesity. more on this study here.

Quote How Adv36 initiate or contribute to obesity
    Adv36 rapidly inserts its genetic element into adipose tissues and induces metabolic dysregulation therein. Adv36 increases the expression of 35 genes involved in human adipogenesis — the generation of new fat cells from the existing stem cells. These genes then become cross-regulated and sustain their upregulation, even in the absence of Adv36.

Adipogenesis, hence, ensues despite that our immune system may have eradicated Adv36. Interestingly, Adv36 also enhances angiogenesis (formation of blood vessels), glucose uptake, and mitochondrial function SELECTIVELY in fat cells — promotes “metabolic robustness” in fat cells.

This may explain why hunger remains despite consuming sufficient calories for the day. Adv36 may be allocating those energy resources to the adipose tissues, depriving other tissues or cells of energy. When Adv36 infection is coupled with the easily accessible, hyper-palatable, caloric dense, high-fat, high-carb foods, obesity might as well be a pandemic that is hardly reversible long-term.
    https://medium.com/microbial-instinc...h-58b0e53af1df

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peace in Oz For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th July 2022), ClearWater (10th July 2022), Harmony (10th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (24th July 2022), mojo (10th July 2022), Spiral (10th July 2022)

33. Link to Post #37
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 times in 143 posts

The correlation between gut microbiome and weight management
    The billions of bacteria that live in and on the human body are called the human microbiome. The bacterial community composition weighs just over a kilogram. The majority of the microbial community are acquired after birth and throughout life from the environment.

The diversity of gut microbiome is important for overall health and wellbeing. A high microbial diversity in the gut is considered to be good for human health and conversely, a low microbial diversity is linked to a number of conditions including obesity, diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome and cancer.

Dietary intake contributes to your microbial diversity index. The gut microbes shift in response to your diet on a daily basis. A diet containing plant based foods which includes vegetables, fruits, nuts and whole grains is associated with an increased microbial diversity.

A healthy gut microbiome community assists in your health in multiple ways, in the breakdown of foods that you can digest, altering mood and appetite, synthetising vitamins K and B12 and protecting you from pathogens.

Prebiotic-rich foods
    Prebiotics are types of dietary fibre found in fruits and vegetables that act as fertiliser feeding the friendly bacteria in your gut. Prebiotic rich foods feed the gut bacteria helping them to produce nutrients for the cells in your colon which leads to a healthier digestive system. Some of these nutrients are called short chain fatty acids such as butyrate, acetate and propionate. These fatty acids can also be absorbed into the bloodstream and improve your metabolic health.

Probiotic rich foods
    Probiotics are bacteria that are intended to seed the gut microbiome promoting health. Probiotics have been reported to help re-balance the gut microbiome in individuals that have gastro-intestinal issues. Dietary sources of probiotics are kefir, sauerkraut, tempeh, kimchi, miso, kombucha, pickles, buttermilk, natto and some types of cheese.

Firmicutes and Bacteriodetes are two major phyla found in gut microbiome. A high F/B ratio is correlated with obesity and other disease.

The youtube video below explains in a more scientific way, although the presenter is a bit hard to follow. Unfortunately, there are not many such videos, as our society is more oriented to kill the bacteria rather than looking after them.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peace in Oz For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st July 2022), Casey Claar (21st July 2022), Johnnycomelately (24th July 2022), mojo (21st July 2022)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks

I've since changed my philosophy about weight loss and lot of that is due to Greg Doucette. Anyone interested in weight loss I highly recommend you check out his channel.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th August 2022), Johnnycomelately (24th July 2022)

37. Link to Post #39
    United States Avalon Member Casey Claar's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,756 times in 702 posts

Very negative messaging.
    "Love is what is left when you let go of everything you no longer need." —Raj

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Casey Claar For This Post:

39. Link to Post #40
    Thanks

This was me not long ago... 60% or more highly processed foods.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast