+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A New Scalar Model of Physics.

1. Link to Post #21
    Madagascar Avalon Member silvanelf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 times in 299 posts

Default Re: A New Scalar Model of Physics.

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    I think that you're both saying that what's in our current text books, expressed in quaternions and claiming to be Maxwell's equations, is not what Maxwell originally wrote in his 1861 paper, but rather comes from the work of Heaviside in 1864, ...
    In other words, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that Heaviside rewrote Maxwell's equations in quaternion formalism? Heaviside used vector formalism, he didn't use quaternions. Your statement doesn't make any sense.

2. Link to Post #22
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,438 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by silvanelf (here)
    I think that you're both saying that what's in our current text books, expressed in quaternions and claiming to be Maxwell's equations, is not what Maxwell originally wrote in his 1861 paper, but rather comes from the work of Heaviside in 1864, ...
    In other words, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that Heaviside rewrote Maxwell's equations in quaternion formalism? Heaviside used vector formalism, he didn't use quaternions. Your statement doesn't make any sense.
    I did not state one way or the other what notation Heaviside used. I stated, in part, that "what's in our current text books, expressed in quaternions" "comes from the work of Heaviside". I don't know off-hand, what notation Heaviside used, nor do I know off-hand when quaternions were introduced into this sequence of events.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bob (12th June 2019)

4. Link to Post #23
    Madagascar Avalon Member silvanelf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 times in 299 posts

I did not state one way or the other what notation Heaviside used. I stated, in part, that "what's in our current text books, expressed in quaternions" "comes from the work of Heaviside". I don't know off-hand, what notation Heaviside used, nor do I know off-hand when quaternions were introduced into this sequence of events.
    FYI: Heaviside hated quaternions.
    Maxwell knew quaternions, but he used it only in a kind of complementary chapter in Maxwell's treatise (1873).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to silvanelf For This Post:

ThePythonicCow (12th June 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2