+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 6 LastLast

Thread: All about TURMERIC

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,301 times in 5,193 posts

Default All about TURMERIC

"'Ancient Indians believed that turmeric contained the energy of the Divine Mother. Modern science now confirms that it has therapeutic properties relevant to well over 500 health conditions and may bestow on those who take it protection from many common causes of suffering.

The author has personally reviewed the majority of 4,000+ biomedical citations on turmeric and its primary polyphenol curcumin, available to view on the National Library of Medicine's bibliographic reference database known as MEDLINE (and searchable through engines like Pubmed.gov), and has been awed by how diverse, powerful and seemingly ideally suited this spice is for addressing the broad range of diseases and/or disease symptoms that commonly afflict our species.'

Sayer Ji, founder of GreenMedInfo.com, discusses his findings after reviewing
    all 3900 study abstracts on Turmeric (and its primarily polyphenol Curcumin) on the US National Library Medicine's database (pubmed.gov). GreenMedInfo.com now houses 1500 carefully indexed studies on this plant, indexed across 589 diseases and 152 pharmacological actions."

Last edited by ktlight; 23rd December 2011 at 11:52.

2. The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to ktlight For This Post:

Arrowwind (23rd December 2011), CdnSirian (23rd December 2011), CeltMan (23rd December 2011), Corncrake (23rd December 2011), Cottage Rose (24th December 2011), crested-duck (23rd December 2011), Eram (8th July 2013), Feritciva (23rd December 2011), Franny (23rd December 2011), Jenci (23rd December 2011), jjjones (23rd December 2011), John Parslow (23rd December 2011), Jonathon (23rd December 2011), Kristin (9th January 2012), Lifebringer (23rd December 2011), Molly (24th December 2011), MorningSong (23rd December 2011), Mystique (9th January 2012), NeverMind (23rd December 2011), nomadguy (23rd December 2011), prema1968 (18th January 2012), Providence (9th January 2012), Realeyes (23rd December 2011), Ria (23rd December 2011), Seikou-Kishi (9th January 2012), spiritguide (23rd December 2011), taliesin (23rd December 2011), ulli (23rd December 2011), Unified Serenity (23rd December 2011), WhiteFeather (2nd February 2012), ZAINA (8th January 2012), zebowho (23rd December 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,180 times in 550 posts

Default Re: All about TURMERIC

I was familiar with the benefits of turmeric, but - amazingly - had no idea about this wonderful resource.
    Thank you so much!
    ET SI OMNES, EGO NON

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NeverMind For This Post:

ktlight (23rd December 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,960 times in 381 posts

Quote Posted by ktlight (here)
    "'Ancient Indians believed that turmeric contained the energy of the Divine Mother. Modern science now confirms that it has therapeutic properties relevant to well over 500 health conditions and may bestow on those who take it protection from many common causes of suffering.

The author has personally reviewed the majority of 4,000+ biomedical citations on turmeric and its primary polyphenol curcumin, available to view on the National Library of Medicine's bibliographic reference database known as MEDLINE (and searchable through engines like Pubmed.gov), and has been awed by how diverse, powerful and seemingly ideally suited this spice is for addressing the broad range of diseases and/or disease symptoms that commonly afflict our species.'

Sayer Ji, founder of GreenMedInfo.com, discusses his findings after reviewing
    all 3900 study abstracts on Turmeric (and its primarily polyphenol Curcumin) on the US National Library Medicine's database (pubmed.gov). GreenMedInfo.com now houses 1500 carefully indexed studies on this plant, indexed across 589 diseases and 152 pharmacological actions."

Thanks KT

That resource is also useful. Good to know there is such for future reference.

Re: Tumeric, I had read that the 'shop/supermarket bought' is to be avoided.

I buy mine from a local asian supplier, - and for about 1/8th price of supermarket price.
    'F.E.A.R.' - is an acronym = 'False Expectations Appearing Real'

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CeltMan For This Post:

Gardener (23rd December 2011), jjjones (23rd December 2011), Unified Serenity (23rd December 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,830 times in 21,553 posts

If I read this right, this report http://www.greenmedinfo.com/substance/turmeric costs 200 "Product Tokens", and (http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/become-greenmedinfo-professional-member) it would cost $40 or $50 to get that many "Tokens".

I guess I'll stick with Google - more citations for less money .
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Cottage Rose (24th December 2011), ktlight (23rd December 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

HEy ktlight, yet another great thread, thanks!

I've been taking a teaspoon or org turmeric in warm water first thing in the AM, for two weeks now, on an empty stomach right before breakfast and I have found it almost AMAZING and MIRACULOUS in it's benefits. I am not one for hyperbole but seriously this spice has sorta changed my life!!

I was taking it as an anti inflamm, pain reliever and for cancer prevention but wow, within one day of taking it, my tummy was alot flatter which has continued and it has flattened more, I have alot more energy and clarity of thought, a sort of low grade depression has lifted, its like coffee (which I dont drink anymore) but with no come down and is alot gentler and more sustained.

What I think happened was that I must have had a mild candida overgrowth which was cleared up by the turmeric. I know most people say to take it with fat and black pepper but I don't like black pepper and having eggs and or brazil nuts slightly afterwards might be enhancing its effectiveness. Also there is some new research to suggest that there is also a water soluable compound created, I think its called turmerin, but i havent done much research into it.

I have been taking zyflamend but to be really honest the straight turmeric though it tastes gross, is alot more effective and alot alot cheaper.

I cant recommend it highly enough. Really.

Would be great to hear other people's experience of it.

I know of one athlete who uses up to four teaspoons before running to help with his joints and he swears by it, says its better than nurofen for swelling and has no reported side effects at all.

Turmeric blessings,

xxx T
    PS Plenty of water during the day is a good idea as it can slow things down if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by taliesin; 23rd December 2011 at 17:39.

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to taliesin For This Post:

Cottage Rose (24th December 2011), crested-duck (23rd December 2011), Eram (8th July 2013), EsmaEverheart (3rd February 2012), jjjones (23rd December 2011), ktlight (23rd December 2011), Molly (24th December 2011), MorningSong (23rd December 2011), NeverMind (23rd December 2011), Seikou-Kishi (9th January 2012), Unified Serenity (24th December 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Re: Tumeric, I had read that the 'shop/supermarket bought' is to be avoided.
    Why?

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    If I read this right, this report http://www.greenmedinfo.com/substance/turmeric costs 200 "Product Tokens", and (http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/bec...ssional-member) it would cost $40 or $50 to get that many "Tokens".

I guess I'll stick with Google - more citations for less money .
    I test-searched it for a number of conditions/substances and got a ton of results. You get abstracts, like this one, which is basically all you need.
    (The rest, if you need it, and you're not affiliated with an institution that has access to such databases, you can easily find on Google.)

It is still a very, very valuable resource.
    ET SI OMNES, EGO NON

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NeverMind For This Post:

ktlight (23rd December 2011)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,608 times in 20,703 posts

When buying any spice in the US (I don't know about other countries) as far as I am aware, unless you are buying organic or directly from a grower, what you are getting may have been irradiated, which can destroy most of the health giving benefits.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

blufire (9th January 2012), jjjones (23rd December 2011), Knowrainknowrainbows! (17th January 2012), ktlight (23rd December 2011), NeverMind (23rd December 2011), norman (23rd December 2011)

15. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Love Turmeric! Wanted to add that I use it to fade acne marks on my teenage sons face. Mix with honey or yoghurt - or both - and it will fade down red marks sooo fast, that would otherwise takes months to disappear.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to minkton For This Post:

Cottage Rose (24th December 2011), jjjones (23rd December 2011), ktlight (23rd December 2011), NeverMind (23rd December 2011)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Also there is some new research to suggest that there is also a water soluable compound created, I think its called turmerin, but i havent done much research into it.
    Perhaps you mean curcumin?
    Anyway, I am including a link to "turmeric" results from that very site.
    Just reading the titles of the abstracts tells a lot. :-)

And thank you, Onawah. That would make sense.
    (But it would also mean that they are irradiated regardless of where you buy them, right?
    I am no expert on USA laws or import policies, but if they irradiate herbs and spices, I would assume they do it with ALL herbs and spices that come into the country, even those from "health" shops and such.)
    ET SI OMNES, EGO NON

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeverMind For This Post:

19. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hey NeverMind,

Thanks but I am already aware of the curcumin, and they aren't the same. In fact some peeps I know, get confused and think that it's cumin rather than turmeric that has been researched, so I have to clarify that for them.

There is definitely something about turmerin and it's water soluable and also very powerful . The research was done in India.

So I put boilied water on the turmeric and let it sit for five mins or so and then add some cold water to make it easy to knock back.

Blessings

xxx T

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taliesin For This Post:

Cottage Rose (24th December 2011), jjjones (23rd December 2011), ktlight (23rd December 2011), NeverMind (23rd December 2011)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,608 times in 20,703 posts

As I understand it, if they are marked "organic" or "non-irradiated" they are OK.
    Isn't it the curcumin in turmeric that is the effective component for inflammation?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Cottage Rose (24th December 2011), Gardener (23rd December 2011)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    As I understand it, if they are marked "organic" or "non-irradiated" they are OK.
    Isn't it the curcumin in turmeric that is the effective component for inflammation?
    Yes, it is.
    (Among many other things. :-))

Taliesin, perhaps you meant this study?
    It seems to be the latest one.
    But there is more to be found on Google & al.
    (Who knew it was so good against cobra bites? )
    ET SI OMNES, EGO NON

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeverMind For This Post:

Cottage Rose (24th December 2011), taliesin (23rd December 2011)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,960 times in 381 posts

[QUOTE=NeverMind;387148]
    Quote Re: Tumeric, I had read that the 'shop/supermarket bought' is to be avoided.
    Why?

Hi NM

As far as I can recall, it mentioned that it is 'somehow processed' when supplied via a supermarket?

also, just checked packet, it is called 'Haldi powder' in Indonesia.
    Last edited by CeltMan; 23rd December 2011 at 20:56.
    'F.E.A.R.' - is an acronym = 'False Expectations Appearing Real'

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CeltMan For This Post:

Cottage Rose (24th December 2011), ktlight (23rd December 2011), NeverMind (23rd December 2011)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Thank you, CeltMan.
    I think it probably has something to do with them being irradiated, like Onawah said (although I see now that you do not live in the USA - still, perhaps the same happens here in the good not-so-old EU; I should probably check, but don't really feel like it right now. :-)).
    ET SI OMNES, EGO NON

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeverMind For This Post:

29. Link to Post #15
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by NeverMind (here)
    Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    Yes, it is.
    (Among many other things. :-))

Taliesin, perhaps you meant this study?
    It seems to be the latest one.
    But there is more to be found on Google & al.
    (Who knew it was so good against cobra bites? )
    Hey NeverMind,

That's funny, it seems to begood for just about everything!

And thanks for that study, that was kind of you to look that up,so add antihyperglycaemic, antifungal, and on and on.

I wonder about taking the isolated extracts of something like this, like just curcuminoids when the whole thing has so much more and all the other stuff that helps it digest.

Zyflamend is so expensive and to be honest I havent experienced any noticeable difference, not like with the whole tumeric, so I am going to stick to taking the whole herb as it works for me.

Much love, xxx T

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taliesin For This Post:

Cottage Rose (24th December 2011), ktlight (23rd December 2011), NeverMind (23rd December 2011)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,301 times in 5,193 posts

It also melts fibroids, is a great blood cleanser - just a teaspoon a day will help.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ktlight For This Post:

Cottage Rose (24th December 2011)

33. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member cloud9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,796 times in 663 posts

Hi ktlight,
    do you have any links or information about turmeric for melting or reducing fibroids? Thank you for the useful information, I really appreciate it.

34. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

35. Link to Post #19
    England Avalon Member Connecting with Sauce's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 times in 354 posts

Quote Posted by CeltMan (here)
    I buy mine from a local asian supplier, - and for about 1/8th price of supermarket price.
    We get ours from the asian wholeseller and it says 100% pure and clean etc on the outside ... 400g for £1.79

My Wife swears by the stuff... 2 teaspoons a day with water, morning and night ... No capsule versions they have additives etc in them...

ps By the way this greenmedinfo.org site was being blocked a few months ago on Facebook, when people were trying to share the info...

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Connecting with Sauce For This Post:

NeverMind (24th December 2011)

37. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Quote ps By the way this greenmedinfo.org site was being blocked a few months ago on Facebook, when people were trying to share the info...
    Great.
    The more I learn about Facebook, the happier I am that I've never set foot in there.
    ET SI OMNES, EGO NON

38. The Following User Says Thank You to NeverMind For This Post:

Seikou-Kishi (9th January 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 6 LastLast