+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filter Bubbles: Internet Shows Us What It Thinks We Want To See.

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,173 times in 13,485 posts

Default Filter Bubbles: Internet Shows Us What It Thinks We Want To See.

Great Ted talk here, and lots of food for thought.
    He is talking about how Facebook and Google only reflect your interests, based on your previous clicks.
    But here is my question, and I want this seen in context of what I'm always talking about:
    Isn't that how the whole universe is set up, based on the Law of Attraction?
    Should we now blame Facebook and Google for giving us a personalized reflection when all they are doing is what life has been doing all along?

This personalized Internet was predicted ten years ago on the Wingmakers website where it was named OLIN technology.
    I will find the corresponding text in a while.

As we become more empowered and responsible and aware of our role as co-creators, we can then expand our minds at a rate that suits us. No more invasions of our minds, the way TV used to do.
    We can shut out what we really are not ready for. Control our parameters.
    This could work well as long as we are always keeping in mind that we don't want to get stuck in a lopsided universe. Balance is key.

Sure, it's great clicking on cat videos, as long as we can also stay informed about the events that are kept deliberately hidden from us.
    The rule is follow the money and see what they are concealing from us in their psychopathic fears that cause them to start evil wars and spill the blood of the innocent.

Not that I need to remind Avalonians who are well educated about the evils of this world....a pretty balanced lot on the whole.
    But maybe some of you would like to share this Ted video with your Facebook people.

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

58andfixed (25th December 2011), Arc (25th December 2011), Carmody (25th December 2011), Cottage Rose (25th December 2011), Daft Ada (25th December 2011), Darla Ken Pearce (26th December 2011), Enquiring1 (24th December 2011), Ernie Nemeth (25th December 2011), heyokah (24th December 2011), Hughe (25th December 2011), kizzey (25th December 2011), Lefty Dave (24th December 2011), Miller (24th December 2011), NeverMind (24th December 2011), ponda (25th December 2011), seko (25th December 2011), skamandar (24th December 2011), Snowbird (24th December 2011), spiritguide (24th December 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,180 times in 550 posts

Default Re: Filter Bubbles: Internet Shows Us What It Thinks We Want To See.

I've never used Facebook, and I don't use Google anymore. I use Dogpile instead, among other options.
    The reason? It's become virtually useless and it consumes my time, instead of serving me.
    This approach - very clunky in execution, for the time being - may be useful for people who have very limited interests as expressed in searches.
    For people who have a very varied scope of interests it simply does not work.

Bye, Google. I can't say I'll miss you.
    ET SI OMNES, EGO NON

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NeverMind For This Post:

58andfixed (25th December 2011), Enquiring1 (24th December 2011), seko (25th December 2011), Unified Serenity (24th December 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Here is a quote from that prediction I mentioned in my post above.
    Quote As the OLIN technology evolves, it will increasingly become subject to individual control. In other words, individuals will become inextricably linked into the networkís entertainment and educational applications, which will become globalized. No longer will global media companies publish for a geographical market. They will produce content for a global audience and each individual will define what and how it desires to be entertained or educated.

The OLIN technology will "know" the preferences and interests of every individual linked to its network, and by the year 2016, it will be more ubiquitous than telephones in the late 20th century. Hence, the network will be controlled by individuals, and producers of content and services will be the "slave" or reactionary force of the individual. Thus, the individual will need to define their entertainment and educational desires carefully, or the OLIN technology will deliver content that is undesirable.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

58andfixed (25th December 2011), Lefty Dave (24th December 2011), ponda (25th December 2011), seko (25th December 2011), Unified Serenity (24th December 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

The problem - the HUGE problem - with "choice" and "control" is that, unless one is God the All-Knowing, it will make individuals even more confined to their individual.... well, bubbles of knowledge/ignorance.

I know I have learned the most from things and situations and information that I was NOT seeking originally.
    Last edited by NeverMind; 24th December 2011 at 18:52.
    ET SI OMNES, EGO NON

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NeverMind For This Post:

58andfixed (25th December 2011), Enquiring1 (25th December 2011), Herbert (24th December 2011), skamandar (24th December 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by NeverMind (here)
    The problem - the HUGE problem - with "choice" and "control" is that, unless one is God the All-Knowing, it will make individuals even more confined to their individual.... well, bubbles of knowledge/ignorance.

I know I have learned the most from things and situations and information that I was NOT seeking originally.
    Quite true. Accidents happen for the best.
    The 'best' can only be defined in retrospect.
    One could imagine the Internet as a public library was not what the PTB had in mind either, so for them it was a sh*t happens moment.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

58andfixed (25th December 2011), Enquiring1 (24th December 2011), NeverMind (24th December 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

No more a problem than life accurately reflecting your thoughts, even the 'invisible' ones, back to you. For the aware it is a useful feedback loop to be used the same way one would use a mirror. It is only an ignorant bubble for the..........um, ones not paying attention or working the victim role.

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 times in 284 posts

I've never used Facebook, and I don't use Google anymore. I use Dogpile instead, among other options.
    The reason? It's become virtually useless and it consumes my time, instead of serving me.
    This approach - very clunky in execution, for the time being - may be useful for people who have very limited interests as expressed in searches.
    For people who have a very varied scope of interests it simply does not work.

Bye, Google. I can't say I'll miss you.
    Well, you may be using a different website (e.g. dogpile) to execute the search but the results are still from Google (so I've read).
    Hope springs eternal in the human breast; Man never Is, but always To be blest: The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home, Rests and expatiates in a life to come.
    Alexander Pope

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bollinger For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (26th December 2011), ulli (25th December 2011), wolf_rt (25th December 2011)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote For the aware it is a useful feedback loop to be used the same way one would use a mirror.
    Oh, it does give "feedback", but not about oneself; the "mirror" image that one sees only reflects the brute greed of Google and the intellectual limits of its algorhythm creators' - or worse, a sociopathic arrogance.
    (I'll go with intellectual limits because it's more chartable to them and probably closer to the truth.)

Bottom-line: I use people, including myself and my reactions(rather obviously), as my "mirrors".
    When I search for information, I simply want whatever is out there. ALL of it.
    If I wanted a nanny, I would choose a FAR better educated and intelligent one than Miss Google.

Quote Well, you may be using a different website (e.g. dogpile) to execute the search but the results are still from Google (so I've read).
    No, Dogpile "piles" results from all search machines, specifying which ones are to be found on this or that machine only.
    Quite useful, really.
    ET SI OMNES, EGO NON

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeverMind For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (26th December 2011), ulli (25th December 2011)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,846 times in 876 posts

Agreed!!!!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (26th December 2011), Enquiring1 (24th December 2011), Miller (25th December 2011), NeverMind (24th December 2011), ulli (25th December 2011)

18. Link to Post #10
    New Zealand Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by grannyfranny100 (here)

Agreed!!!!

I second that, Nevermind IMHO that is the statement of the month.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enquiring1 For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (26th December 2011), NeverMind (24th December 2011), ulli (25th December 2011)

20. Link to Post #11
    Bulgaria Avalon Member skamandar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Enquiring1 (here)
    Quote Posted by grannyfranny100 (here)

Agreed!!!!

I second that, Nevermind IMHO that is the statement of the month.
    I did copy and paste of his brilliant idea on the comment in FB. I guess you don't need to have any degree in philosophy to write something amazing..

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skamandar For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (26th December 2011), Enquiring1 (25th December 2011), ulli (25th December 2011)

22. Link to Post #12
    Australia Avalon Member wolf_rt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 times in 418 posts

Yeah this is a massive problem in my opinion...

I heard of (may have been the video posted) people searching 'Egypt' during the revolution, and not getting any results pertaining to the revolution on the first 2 pages... thats pretty heavy filtering.

does anybody know if using a metasearch such as dogpile, will bypass this filtering? or does google still see your ip ect, when you search through a proxy?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolf_rt For This Post:

ponda (25th December 2011), ulli (25th December 2011)

24. Link to Post #13
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

My next visions post is about this topic, but from another angle.

Here I would comment on the opening statement: Sometimes a frog run over in front of our house is more important than starving people in Africa (paraphrased). This statement is so repugnent to me that I cannot understand a person who would begin a premise based on it.
    I find it interesting how deep our conditioning goes, really. Nowhere does he talk of removing such tampering with our information. Instead, behind the words is the understanding that we do not have the authority to change it as we see fit but that we must ask for permission - and then hope they take our objections seriously.
    The policies of these mega-companies on the internet will soon come back to bite them in the arse. The blattant intrusion into our private affairs is an infringement on our right to anonymity, a necessary protection to ensure our personal safety, peace and prosperity. Of course, that is not our goal in this society...
    Freedom comes only from personal sovereignty and authority, where all decisions are based on consensus. That requires full and complete access to all information. So we could measure the success of any society by the consensus of its citizens. Although this last is off topic I only add it here as a curiosity.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (26th December 2011), Enquiring1 (25th December 2011), ponda (25th December 2011), ulli (25th December 2011)

26. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    My next visions post is about this topic, but from another angle.

Here I would comment on the opening statement: Sometimes a frog run over in front of our house is more important than starving people in Africa (paraphrased). This statement is so repugnent to me that I cannot understand a person who would begin a premise based on it.
    I find it interesting how deep our conditioning goes, really. Nowhere does he talk of removing such tampering with our information. Instead, behind the words is the understanding that we do not have the authority to change it as we see fit but that we must ask for permission - and then hope they take our objections seriously.
    The policies of these mega-companies on the internet will soon come back to bite them in the arse. The blattant intrusion into our private affairs is an infringement on our right to anonymity, a necessary protection to ensure our personal safety, peace and prosperity. Of course, that is not our goal in this society...
    Freedom comes only from personal sovereignty and authority, where all decisions are based on consensus. That requires full and complete access to all information. So we could measure the success of any society by the consensus of its citizens. Although this last is off topic I only add it here as a curiosity.
    Actually, Ernie, not off topic at all. I was hoping the discussion would lead to these deeper questions.
    I'm a bit brain dead right now, as my flu relapsed, but would be glad to hear more opinions on this.
    Alao what anyone thinks we can do about reversing these intrusive trends other than informing each other of certain pitfalls and also of loop holes.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (26th December 2011), ponda (25th December 2011)

+ Reply to Thread