+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UK prepares emergency measures for euro collapse

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

Default UK prepares emergency measures for euro collapse

Quote UK prepares emergency measures for euro collapse to prevent an influx of people and money

By Jason Groves

Last updated at 8:28 AM on 28th December 2011

Ministers are considering draconian plans to prevent a flood of money and people heading to Britain from Europe if the ailing single currency collapses.

Experts fear that the collapse of the euro would lead to the widespread movement of both people and money – with potentially damaging consequences for Britain if left unchecked.

The Treasury has drawn up contingency plans to prevent investors shifting huge sums of cash from the Eurozone to Britain – amid fears it could lead to a surge in the value of the Pound.

And it emerged yesterday that Britain’s borders could also be temporarily sealed against economic refugees from Europe if the collapse of the euro sparks widespread civil unrest on the Continent.

The Foreign Office is also working on contingency plans for the emergency evacuation of thousands of British expats and holidaymakers from stricken countries.

Elsewhere in Whitehall there are fears that a collapse of the euro could lead to widespread civil unrest – and even spark a flood of economic refugees.

Some countries are expected to ground all flights and effectively seal their borders to prevent the flight of people and money. British officials are said to be considering contingency plans to seal the UK’s borders in a worst-case scenario – although any attempt to prevent the free movement of people is illegal under EU law.

The Ministry of Defence has also been put on standby to help rescue British nationals stranded in countries that are plunged into chaos.

Other EU countries are also drawing up contingency plans.

Earlier this month reports in Portugal said the country’s borders would be temporarily sealed if the country drops out of the single currency.

Strict limits would be imposed on cash withdrawals and euro notes would be stamped with an escudo mark until the new currency was printed and distributed.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-collapse.html
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

albativo (29th December 2011), Amenjo (28th December 2011), Enquiring1 (28th December 2011), Gardener (28th December 2011), Jenci (28th December 2011), jubjubmoreley (28th December 2011), Lisab (28th December 2011), Ria (28th December 2011), selinam (29th December 2011), Woody (28th December 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: UK prepares emergency measures for euro collapse

Hello,

I really don't wish to sound like an imbicile but my knowledge on Europian politics is not great, as it always seems to cause confusion (I think on purpose). How would having a strong or more valuable British Pound be a bad thing, it seems like 'they' wish to prevent this happening?

I am rather concerned about the closing of borders. How long do we expect them to remain closed and will this be followed by a declaration of marshall Law?

Jubjub.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jubjubmoreley For This Post:

Gardener (28th December 2011), Jenci (28th December 2011), ktlight (28th December 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    UK Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,971 times in 881 posts

Hi Jubjub,

The want the pount to collapse as well. Osbourne warned a few weeks ago that if the Euro goes down, it would be disastrous for the pound.

As to shutting the borders, I can't see it myself. However much they talk about this, they keep the borders open, in fact even relax immigration. I think they are aiming for choas but the media tells the opposite - yet in the media reporting, it's enough to frighten people. Confusion - one of their tactics.
    Jeanette

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jenci For This Post:

Gardener (28th December 2011), jorr lundstrom (28th December 2011), jubjubmoreley (29th December 2011), ktlight (28th December 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,074 times in 8,172 posts

Quote Posted by jubjubmoreley (here)
    Hello,

I really don't wish to sound like an imbicile but my knowledge on Europian politics is not great, as it always seems to cause confusion (I think on purpose). How would having a strong or more valuable British Pound be a bad thing, it seems like 'they' wish to prevent this happening?

I am rather concerned about the closing of borders. How long do we expect them to remain closed and will this be followed by a declaration of marshall Law?

Jubjub.
    Under normal circumstances, regardless of any plans to collapse the pound along with other currencies, a rising POUND would make it harder to export anything to other countries due to the effective higher prices of anything British.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

8. The Following User Says Thank You to norman For This Post:

jubjubmoreley (29th December 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,300 times in 5,193 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Quote Posted by jubjubmoreley (here)
    Hello,

Jubjub.
    Under normal circumstances, regardless of any plans to collapse the pound along with other currencies, a rising POUND would make it harder to export anything to other countries due to the effective higher prices of anything British.
    There is no manufacturing infrastructure in GB, so what would we export?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ktlight For This Post:

jubjubmoreley (29th December 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,637 times in 399 posts

Much as economic difficulties will be manufactured into reality (already happening), I take everything from the daily mail with cess pit full of salt.

+ Reply to Thread