+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast

Thread: Americans, and their World Knowledge - scary

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 times in 994 posts

Default Americans, and their World Knowledge - scary

I came across these video items - I don't know what else to say, they speak for themselves. I hope and pray that these people are in the minority, but suspect otherwise.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kindred For This Post:

GaelVictor (10th January 2012), RMorgan (10th January 2012), Samsara (10th January 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Australia Avalon Member wolf_rt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 times in 418 posts

Default Re: Americans, and their World Knowledge - scary

There are idiots all over the world... we shouldn't pick on the yanks too much..lol

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wolf_rt For This Post:

777 (11th January 2012), Alan (10th January 2012), AlternativeInfoJunkie (11th January 2012), Calz (10th January 2012), Enquiring1 (12th January 2012), jagman (11th January 2012), mahalall (10th January 2012), meeradas (11th January 2012), modwiz (10th January 2012), Mysticknowflake (11th January 2012), Star Tsar (11th January 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

This topic and the same videos were shown here last year. This is not a reflection on the intelligence of the average person of a particular country. Anyone can edit video and leave out the intelligent people. I see this whenever the media interviews occupy protesters, for example.
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

6. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

13th Warrior (10th January 2012), 777 (11th January 2012), Calz (10th January 2012), Cartomancer (11th January 2012), Curt (11th January 2012), Enquiring1 (12th January 2012), Franny (11th January 2012), GK76 (11th January 2012), jagman (11th January 2012), Jeffrey (11th January 2012), johnf (10th January 2012), jsb_swampfox (11th January 2012), Kristo (11th January 2012), Lazlo (12th January 2012), ljwheat (11th January 2012), modwiz (10th January 2012), Mysticknowflake (11th January 2012), Nasu (13th January 2012), sidh25 (11th January 2012), spiritguide (10th January 2012), Thefrenzy1978 (11th January 2012), ViralSpiral (11th January 2012), westhill (11th January 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Personally I dislike singling out one nation... we all have sheeple. Besides, one good thing to take from this is that many clearly do not pay attention to MSM or they would have known the answers... perhaps it is the intention of the MSM to shame people into soaking up their vile brand of BS? As for the politicians not knowing just shows how out of touch they are with the people and full steam ahead with their master's agenda.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GK76 For This Post:

Curt (11th January 2012), Enquiring1 (12th January 2012), Franny (11th January 2012), Jeffrey (11th January 2012), jjjones (11th January 2012), johnf (10th January 2012), modwiz (10th January 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

Quote Posted by Whiskey_Mystic (here)
    This topic and the same videos were shown here last year. This is not a reflection on the intelligence of the average person of a particular country. Anyone can edit video and leave out the intelligent people. I see this whenever the media interviews occupy protesters, for example.

Agreed.

Love the Bill Murray look ya got going on there (at least for the moment)

Name:  billmurray.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  7.5 KB

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

Herbert (10th January 2012), jagman (11th January 2012), Kristo (11th January 2012), ljwheat (11th January 2012), modwiz (10th January 2012), Mysticknowflake (11th January 2012), Star Tsar (10th January 2012), ViralSpiral (11th January 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Generalities are always wrong, but almost always hint at truth. I find a percentage of people that are very bright and aware of world geography, politics, and current affairs - and I hang out with them! :~) But yes, there are a lot of Americentric US citizens that could care less about understanding and interacting beneficially with humanity beyond the US borders.

Partially, I give credit/blame to the industries that have set their sights on dumbing-down the populace (television, all mainstream news, and the appalling US education system), as well as the chemical assault on brains via fluoride, agricultural and industrial chemicals, and pharmaceuticals.

This will NOT be cured in even a few years, but will require major paradigm changes and probably at least a generation to even partially cure. I feel like our major goal is paradigm change, but recognize that in many ways, that is truly just the beginning of the process for many people. Many will need to somehow undergo a deprogramming process and then decide to embrace exponential growth in compassion (without borders) required to live in joyful and mutually beneficial abundance.

Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis Leahy; 10th January 2012 at 17:18. Reason: typos - what can I say, I was educated in the US education system

12. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Calz (11th January 2012), Curt (11th January 2012), GaelVictor (10th January 2012), GK76 (11th January 2012), HORIZONS (10th January 2012), Jeffrey (11th January 2012), jjjones (11th January 2012), Mike (10th January 2012), modwiz (10th January 2012), motherlove (11th January 2012), Mysticknowflake (11th January 2012), Nasu (13th January 2012), Seikou-Kishi (11th January 2012), spiritguide (10th January 2012), Star Tsar (11th January 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,067 times in 698 posts

the old guy gave a pretty good answer "alkaida is a wing of the masonic order"

i liked that

but i thin k they fooled some people the world map wasnt right they had iran displayed on australia, they better ask some europeans about american states, they wouldnt do it better.
    " Loka samasta sukhino bhavantu / May all beings in all worlds be happy and free and may the thoughts, words and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all "

tibetian mantra

14. The Following User Says Thank You to seehas For This Post:

Mysticknowflake (11th January 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I baulk at the label 'sheeple', it seems to lack compassion, to me. Am I wrong on that?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minkton For This Post:

13th Warrior (10th January 2012), Curt (11th January 2012)

17. Link to Post #9
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Quote Posted by minkton (here)
    I baulk at the label 'sheeple', it seems to lack compassion, to me. Am I wrong on that?
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"....or maybe meaning, when we have no more sides to us, we become weighty with compassion.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

motherlove (11th January 2012), Mysticknowflake (11th January 2012)

19. Link to Post #10
    New Zealand Avalon Member Carmen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,524 times in 1,560 posts

Maybe Americans general knowledge of the rest of the world is curtailed by their media. Seems to me Americans don't get much 'outside ' news and often not a lot of new from outside their particular state.

I remember years ago a friend in New Zealand having an American pen pal. At this particular time (eighties I think) the Mississippi river was flooding majorly and this was daily news for us here in New Zealand. This penpal from Chicago had heard there was some flooding in America but didn't know where it was!! We do get the impression here in New Zealand, at times, that America is only concerned with itself and not about other countries. Suppose it's quite natural for a huge country.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carmen For This Post:

DeDukshyn (11th January 2012), Enquiring1 (12th January 2012)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,331 times in 1,296 posts

Quote Posted by minkton (here)
    Maybe. It certainly seems to, but I guess that has to be decided with each use according to the intention of the user.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Post:

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

A lot of Americans are ignorant about America. It's really sad to watch. A lot of us are dismayed at how many people really have no clue about basic things like geography and basic knowledge of our history or what's going on in the world. I worked with a lady who thought we went to war in India. (Yes, India - not Iraq.) It just blew me away.

Carmen is right that most Americans don't get a lot of "outside news" and when we do, it's very sanitized and not very detailed. The major media is run out of NYC/DC, (CNN's the exception - based in Atlanta) so there is often discussion about how our national news would be different if they were located in different cities in the Midwest/South/West. Personally, I rely on the internet as my major news source now because the biases are so obvious and honestly, once you wake up, you can't go back to being spoon-fed. Usually, I can only watch our news for a few minutes at a time because it is just so over-the-top w/what it chooses to cover.

I live close to the Canadian border, so our cable provider provides the CBC and it is so interesting watching how the Canadians provide information to their citizens vs our delivery systems.

Canada is a lot more internationally focused, but it also has a different relationship with the British than we do. We rebelled and fought the "man". Canadians stayed as a part of the British Empire for a long time, so there was a necessity to think differently than America does.

That said, America is still the "policeman" of the world and even if the populace doesn't think internationally, our government does. Also, a lot of our students go overseas during their college years. (I went to Russia). However, most people think about moving to other countries for a job or schooling. We think about moving to different states or different areas in the state that we are in, so again, I think our perspective is just different.

If you were wondering, I don't really have a point, except to share general observations.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kcbc2010 For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (11th January 2012), GK76 (11th January 2012), HORIZONS (10th January 2012), Lost Soul (11th January 2012), Seikou-Kishi (10th January 2012), wolf_rt (10th January 2012)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member spiritguide's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,730 times in 1,479 posts

Embedded fear of the unknown has stifled the natural tendencies of curiosity. Educational (read indoctrination) systems only teach conformity and not the nature of exploring for the experience. This syndrone is worldwide and not particular to any one nation,culture or society. Divide and conquer are alive and well and we must perceive it for what it is.

https://youtube.com/embed/F4WTyVdN6Ko
    Last edited by spiritguide; 10th January 2012 at 23:26.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spiritguide For This Post:

27. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 times in 516 posts

Are Stupid people considered weak and therefore useless?
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

28. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by firstlook (here)
    I don't think so. Are weak people considered useless?

29. Link to Post #16
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

Mr Murray is my second favourite Bill in the whole wide world!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

31. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 times in 516 posts

Quote Posted by Seikou-Kishi (here)
    You skipped the first part. Are Stupid people Considered Weak?
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

32. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member EnergyGardener's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,647 times in 455 posts

"Stupid is as Stupid Does."

There is great disparity demographically with education, grammar and knowledge of international (or even) domestic issues. This interview / setup area, is like many, intentionally neglected for control purposes; they are told to simply "vote democratic" to keep welfare benefits coming (not that it matters). The system is unnecessarily merciless, thus avoided by reasonable people and their families. Thus, the quality of our politicians reflect the same agenda; these videos do not reflect the intelligence that emanates from our institutions of higher learning; better educated people focus on higher paying jobs. The entire globe is suffering from this brain vacuum in American politics.

And while many US stereotypes are true, "Americans" have much to be proud of:
    1. We actually throw and catch our footballs; we're very good with our hands.
    2. We own guns and will not part with them peacefully.
    3. The concept of our great country's founding remains within our constitution (though no longer practiced).
    4. We are of the most generous souls on Earth.
    5. The Cowboy Hat approaches the beauty of the Aussie Fedora (I own several of the latter).
    6. Free-minded American ingenuity has fostered many innovations enjoyed by all (including McDonalds; I am not claiming they are all good, just profitable).
    7. We relish our casual nature and bad posture; we're mutts, after all.
    8. We enjoy both domestic hash and Scotch single-malt whiskys, almost the same.
    9. We create great recipes as the melting pot, the least of which are with chiles from our hemisphere (Columbus tried to pass them off as Pepper, thus the misnaming).

The fact that most Americans (and all humans) remain ignorant to the true purpose of "western" military operations, explains why Americans (and many westerners) do not understand why we are so hated in so many places. The status quo is terrified of the majority's loss of ignorance (Ron Paul's election threatens this).

This reality, and this subject itself, will diminish with the universal interaction I anticipate will be afforded to all earthlings soon.

Cheers,
    Last edited by EnergyGardener; 10th January 2012 at 23:38.
    What Happens to Us, Is Less Important, Than; How We React, When It Does
    -and-
    What Happens to Us, Is Less Important, If; We are Prepared, When It Does - US Copyright 2003

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnergyGardener For This Post:

HORIZONS (10th January 2012), Mysticknowflake (11th January 2012), wolf_rt (10th January 2012)

34. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Seikou-Kishi (here)
    You skipped the first part. Are Stupid people Considered Weak?
    I skipped nothing. I said "I don't think so". So, are weak people considered useless?

35. Link to Post #20
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Quote Posted by Kindred (here)
    I came across these video items - I don't know what else to say, they speak for themselves. I hope and pray that these people are in the minority, but suspect otherwise.

What kind of democracy can you have with critters like these? It is one of my problems with people power. Hard to build anything with such poor materials. Most of those interviewed are more concerned with what was the next thing they would be chewing on than getting even a modicum of information about the world they live in. Very disheartening. It is one of the reasons I spend time on a forum like this. It reminds me that there are some people thinking about subjects worthy of consideration. Of course, no one is asking questions like the interviewer here. A pop quiz might be eye opening.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast