Thread: Americans, and their World Knowledge - scary

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 times in 516 posts

Default Re: Americans, and their World Knowledge - scary

[QUOTE=RMorgan;400059]
    Quote Posted by firstlook (here)
    Quote Posted by RMorgan;400043The impressive thing, is that they were not kidding at all.[/QUOTE

So they were asking you genuine questions. Why would you be offended by Genuine questions?
    Hi mate,

I was not offended at all! I was just impressed with their lack of knowledge about a country which is actually a neighbor country. You know, we´re also Americans.

They were asking such questions seriously, however, such questions don´t make any sense.

Even in the Amazon region of the country, the big cities look pretty much like any other big city in the world.

Cheers,

Raf.
    Wait, You get impressed with lack of knowledge? I mean I don't find people unimpressive with lack of knowledge, but impressed is a interesting choice. Do you find their lacking of knowledge frees there fear of things? Or is it something else?
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

2. Link to Post #42
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,123 times in 3,535 posts

[QUOTE=firstlook;400062]
    Quote Posted by RMorgan (here)
    Quote Posted by RMorgan;400043The impressive thing, is that they were not kidding at all.[/QUOTE

So they were asking you genuine questions. Why would you be offended by Genuine questions?
    Hi mate,

I was not offended at all! I was just impressed with their lack of knowledge about a country which is actually a neighbor country. You know, we´re also Americans.

They were asking such questions seriously, however, such questions don´t make any sense.

Even in the Amazon region of the country, the big cities look pretty much like any other big city in the world.

Cheers,

Raf.
    Wait, You get impressed with lack of knowledge? I mean I don't find people unimpressive with lack of knowledge, but impressed is a interesting choice. Do you find their lacking of knowledge frees there fear of things? Or is it something else?
    Hey mate,

Please, forgive my poor choice of words. English is not my mother tongue. I guess perplexed, vaulted would be better words, instead of impressed. Sometimes finding the right, equivalent word in a different language can be challenging, if not impossible.

Cheers,

Raf.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

Curt (11th January 2012), Dennis Leahy (11th January 2012), modwiz (11th January 2012)

4. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

Quote Posted by jorr lundstrom (here)
    Well, if we dont let our attention stroll away from Facebook, the Simpsons, junkfood and

Budweiser life seems to be quite easy to handle. Leaving our comfort zone by finding out

about the world on the other side of the fence seem incredibly dangerous. We might find

that nothing is as we imagined ie if we had any idea at all about wots outside our close

surroundings. I and Maria had a discussion today about our friends IRL. All of them have

laptops with an internet connection. How many of those use this tool to find out about

the world at large and wots happening out there. Well, very few indeed, most people

seem to inhabit a very small world, and dont seem to think its worthwhile to know about

anything outside this little box. Ithink you, the people I have come in contact with through

different forums are belonging to a very small percent of the people on this planet who

pay interest to the world out there. Wot to say about that? I dunno,

Maybe a Zensaying is wot it takes: Wot is, is and wot isnt, isnt.
    So you find people who don't challenge themselves as scary?

I'm still trying to figure this scary thing out. LOL.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to firstlook For This Post:

jorr lundstrom (11th January 2012)

6. Link to Post #44
    Thanks

[QUOTE=RMorgan;400066]

Hi mate,

Cheers,

Raf.
    Hey mate,

Please, forgive my poor choice of words. English is not my mother tongue. I guess perplexed, vaulted would be better words, instead of impressed. Sometimes finding the right, equivalent word in a different language can be challenging, if not impossible.

Cheers,

Raf.
    No need to apologize. You don't have to feel perplexed either, I think you'll find that It's a Good thing being given the opportunity to share knowledge with others. In fact its probably the exact opposite of scary (See thread title).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to firstlook For This Post:

RMorgan (11th January 2012)

8. Link to Post #45
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 times in 994 posts

Quote Posted by modwiz (here)
    This thread has gotten scary. I'll pack my intelligent elitist bags and go. Perhaps y'all could discuss some sports scores or recipes amongst yourselves.

You may reply but I am bye bye. (Poof!)
    modwiz... I guess I don't blame you. All I can say is, Wow... I had Not anticipated so many replies for something I thought was rather sad, but well known amongst the PA crowd. I guess I was a bit naive.

When viewing the videos, I could not believe the lack of, what I thought of as, 'basic knowledge'. Things that one should learn when living in a society that required a certain level of knowledge, just to effectively participate as an informed citizen. This is not to say that everyone is like the individuals interviewed in the videos - the creators of these pieces obviously chose the worst cases, but I have to admit to being quite astonished about some of the answers. The most egregious aspect of these pieces, and most disturbing to me, was the almost complete lack of Concern that the responders displayed regarding their inability to even have an Inkling about what the questioner was asking.

And we wonder why more people don't question the narrative offered by TPTW via their media...

I feel blessed to have my eyes open, and to be in the company of those who Do 'ask the important questions'.

In Unity and Peace
    Last edited by Kindred; 11th January 2012 at 00:30.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kindred For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (11th January 2012), GaelVictor (11th January 2012), modwiz (11th January 2012)

10. Link to Post #46
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Kindred (here)
    This thread has gotten scary. I'll pack my intelligent elitist bags and go. Perhaps y'all could discuss some sports scores or recipes amongst yourselves.

modiz... I guess I don't blame you. All I can say is, Wow... I had Not anticipated so many replies for something I thought was rather sad, but well known amongst the PA crowd. I guess I was a bit naive.

When viewing the videos, I could not believe the lack of, what I thought of as, 'basic knowledge'. Things that one should learn when living in a society that required a certain level of knowledge, just to effectively participate as an informed citizen. This is not to say that everyone is like the individuals interviewed in the videos - the creators of these pieces obviously chose the worst cases, but I have to admit to being quite astonished about some of the answers. The most egregious aspect of these pieces, and most disturbing to me, was the almost complete lack of Concern that the responders displayed regarding their inability to even have an Inkling about what the questioner was asking.

And we wonder why more people don't question the narrative offered by TPTW via their media...

I feel blessed to have my eyes open, and to be in the company of those who Do 'ask the important questions'.

In Unity and Peace
    Questions are good, being perplexed and scared, not so much.

Just trying to help people work through it, thats all. Good Intentions, I promise.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to firstlook For This Post:

Cartomancer (11th January 2012), Kindred (11th January 2012), modwiz (11th January 2012)

12. Link to Post #47
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,204 times in 958 posts

Quote Posted by Calz_Avaretard (here)
    Quote Posted by Whiskey_Mystic (here)
    This topic and the same videos were shown here last year. This is not a reflection on the intelligence of the average person of a particular country. Anyone can edit video and leave out the intelligent people. I see this whenever the media interviews occupy protesters, for example.

Agreed.

Love the Bill Murray look ya got going on there (at least for the moment)

Attachment 12560
    "That's a fact Jack!" "What a surprise party, for me?" "Take a hike you big lug."

Hay, Eim insullted. I am Amerikan and I wennt to Colledge to. I know how to spek Inglesh and Spaineesh tu. I'm also half Newfoundlander (Canadian). That half of me is fairly intellectual.
    Last edited by Cartomancer; 11th January 2012 at 00:44.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cartomancer For This Post:

modwiz (11th January 2012)

14. Link to Post #48
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Carmen (here)
    Maybe Americans general knowledge of the rest of the world is curtailed by their media. Seems to me Americans don't get much 'outside ' news and often not a lot of new from outside their particular state.

I remember years ago a friend in New Zealand having an American pen pal. At this particular time (eighties I think) the Mississippi river was flooding majorly and this was daily news for us here in New Zealand. This penpal from Chicago had heard there was some flooding in America but didn't know where it was!! We do get the impression here in New Zealand, at times, that America is only concerned with itself and not about other countries. Suppose it's quite natural for a huge country.
    No it is actually bizarre - even for a large country. I learned more about American history and geography in public school than most Americans I've been acquainted with learn; and I'm Canadian (I learned more about American history than Canadian - go figure). Although, I'll be the first to admit the Canadian education system is going down the pooper too -- it's just taking a little longer.

And I will agree the "Media Machine" does have much to do with it even by implying and programming false priorities in NA culture (or almost any culture / country for that matter) -- which cause us not to care about our lack of education because there is more important things like a new smartphone or a new reality TV series to waste our brains with ...
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Cartomancer (11th January 2012), DouglasDanger (11th January 2012)

16. Link to Post #49
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 times in 601 posts

My comment was not aimed nor directed at you - and I am surprised that you think so - I was referring to the so-called intelligent elite that run the world and control what the scary people beLIEve, the very leaders of our education, media and political systems. That you took offense and then directed a derogatory statement this way in response is perplexing to say the least. What's up with that?
    ~ If nothing changes then nothing changes ~

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HORIZONS For This Post:

Cartomancer (11th January 2012), Curt (11th January 2012), modwiz (11th January 2012)

18. Link to Post #50
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Well, unfortunately, these videos reflect some part of the truth indeed.

As a Brazilian, I was asked many absurd questions by my fellows North-Americans, like:

- Do you have a pet monkey?
    - Do you live among an indian tribe?
    - Are you sure are you Brazilian? You don´t look like an indian!
    - Is your house built on top of the trees?
    - How do you manage to have internet connection in the middle of the rain
    forest?
    - Do you have a lot of trouble with snakes?
    - Do you know Pelé?
    - Where is Brazil?
    - Plus a lot of ignorant stuff I can´t remember right now...

It´s really sad what the educational system from the US is doing to its people.

Cheers,

Raf.
    LOL, Thanks RAF,

Here's what many Americans (but not limited to Americans of course) think of Canadians ... By Jim Carey trying to be the Canadian "stereotype" - A Classic!

Last edited by DeDukshyn; 11th January 2012 at 00:41.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Cartomancer (11th January 2012), DouglasDanger (11th January 2012), HORIZONS (11th January 2012), RMorgan (11th January 2012)

20. Link to Post #51
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn
    LOL, Thanks RAF,

Here's what Americans (but not limited to Americans of course) think of Canadians ... By Jim Carey trying to be the Canadian "stereotype" - A Classic!

Love Jim.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1A7lVzHttRY

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firstlook For This Post:

Cartomancer (11th January 2012), DeDukshyn (11th January 2012), RMorgan (11th January 2012)

22. Link to Post #52
    Language
    English
    Thanks

LOL, Thanks RAF,

Here's what Americans (but not limited to Americans of course) think of Canadians ... By Jim Carey trying to be the Canadian "stereotype" - A Classic!
    Love Jim.

He's a positive force on this planet right now -- he has several very good spiritually oriented videos on YouTube -- Go Jim!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

firstlook (11th January 2012), modwiz (11th January 2012)

24. Link to Post #53
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I must point out though that America has the greatest potential of any country ... Sure TBTW have reduced it to what we are all discussing here to some point or another, but look at the potential ... Americans can have huge hearts when the time calls - we should give the people some credit where it is due and focus on the change in America that will fulfill that potential ... My 2 cents

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

firstlook (11th January 2012), gripreaper (11th January 2012), HORIZONS (11th January 2012), modwiz (11th January 2012), RMorgan (11th January 2012), STATIC (11th January 2012)

26. Link to Post #54
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    LOL, Thanks RAF,

Love Jim.

He's a positive force on this planet right now -- he has several very good spiritually oriented videos on YouTube -- Go Jim!
    Yeah, If Laughter is medicine for the soul, He has done alot of good. Alot.

Interesting enough, One of my favorites of is is Dumb and Dumber (thread relevance), I'm sorry but that is a great argument as to why lack of focus (stupid) people can be scary.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firstlook For This Post:

DeDukshyn (11th January 2012), Mike (29th January 2012)

28. Link to Post #55
    New Zealand Avalon Member Carmen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,524 times in 1,560 posts

Actually people who never have the opportunity to travel to any degree, or the desire to, become very closed minded and walled in with their attitudes and knowledge. I notice that even in this country. Where I originated from in the far south, the ones who never left for any length of time, can become very insular, biased and kinda "rednecked" in their attitudes. Intolerance of difference is obvious. Also some older folk are still stuck in ww2 attitudes. They refuse to buy anything Japanese! Their experiences mold attitude and thats understandable, but at some point in our lives many of us realize our own limiting prejudices and decide to break out of them. Travel broadens our perspective to a huge degree.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carmen For This Post:

Cartomancer (11th January 2012), DeDukshyn (11th January 2012), RMorgan (11th January 2012)

30. Link to Post #56
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by minkton (here)
    I baulk at the label 'sheeple', it seems to lack compassion, to me. Am I wrong on that?
    I too hate that word, but the word exists because there was a need for it. As much as I dislike making people uncomfortable with the wording, I'm left with little choice. Yes, it lacks compassion, but I would prefer to hear the truth rather than that political correctness nonsense (the language was already twisted enough before it arrived).

What is the alternative? I can find no synonyms.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GK76 For This Post:

DeDukshyn (11th January 2012), modwiz (11th January 2012)

32. Link to Post #57
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by GK76 (here)
    Quote Posted by minkton (here)
    I baulk at the label 'sheeple', it seems to lack compassion, to me. Am I wrong on that?
    I too hate that word, but the word exists because there was a need for it. As much as I dislike making people uncomfortable with the wording, I'm left with little choice. Yes, it lacks compassion, but I would prefer to hear the truth rather than that political correctness nonsense (the language was already twisted enough before it arrived).

What is the alternative? I can find no synonyms.
    I like that that its such an awful word -- that reaction to it achieves something, IMHO ...

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

firstlook (11th January 2012), GK76 (11th January 2012), modwiz (11th January 2012)

34. Link to Post #58
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Carmen (here)
    Actually people who never have the opportunity to travel to any degree, or the desire to, become very closed minded and walled in with their attitudes and knowledge. I notice that even in this country. Where I originated from in the far south, the ones who never left for any length of time, can become very insular, biased and kinda "rednecked" in their attitudes. Intolerance of difference is obvious. Also some older folk are still stuck in ww2 attitudes. They refuse to buy anything Japanese! Their experiences mold attitude and thats understandable, but at some point in our lives many of us realize our own limiting prejudices and decide to break out of them. Travel broadens our perspective to a huge degree.
    Its funny because you could compare isolated southern rednecks with isolated tribes in various parts of the world in terms of accepting outside perceptions. I'd be interested in the type of reaction people would have in calling them scary and fools.

Its interesting the assumptions and bias we place on certain people who live within boundaries. You can't force someone out of a boundary, they have to be lured with compassion.

35. Link to Post #59
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    LOL, Thanks RAF,

Love Jim.

Yeah, If Laughter is medicine for the soul, He has done alot of good. Alot.

Interesting enough, One of my favorites of is is Dumb and Dumber (thread relevance), I'm sorry but that is a great argument as to why lack of focus (stupid) people can be scary.
    But ... at the end of the day, Heart > knowing things

36. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

modwiz (11th January 2012)

37. Link to Post #60
    Netherlands Avalon Member GaelVictor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 times in 316 posts

In Europe, Netherlands specifically, i was educated with world history and 2 foreign languages which is normal procedure for all schoolgoing children.
    In a fairly small country like ours it is smart to speak your neighboring country's (Germany, England, France) language, because we make most of our BNP from trading and do well with a very high standard of living and excellent social insurance structure.
    The Dutch are big travellers too, we visit all over the world and try speak a bit of the indigenous language and feel the culture.

This is my reference through which i see, and feel comfortable with, the world outside the Netherlands.

I travelled all over the world, and usually for longer periods, and on those travels met many Americans with some i'm still in contact today, and consider good friends.
    These traveling American's are amongst the few percent who travel abroad as most Americans don't own passports.
    I did however get a bit annoyed on many occasion of their, from my perspective, lack of a basic understanding of worldly affairs and somewhat naieve mental image of how our planet looks like on the cultural, ethnic, economic, social and historical plane.

I mean, they don't KNOW.. At first i was amazed at this recurring fact, and soon overcame my first reaction of horror, that the populace of this worlds most influentual country wasn't up to par with my expectations of what they should be well aware of for the sake of us all.

All are very friendly people and i like talking with them and sometimes try to stretch awareness and take away fear of the unknown. But not all are a bit ignorant like that, there are many who are well aware of what is going about. But like i said, i only see the traveling ones.
    "Dodecahedron; 12 faces 20 points 30 edges 6480 degrees"

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GaelVictor For This Post:

Carmen (11th January 2012), DeDukshyn (11th January 2012), GK76 (11th January 2012), modwiz (11th January 2012), RMorgan (11th January 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 3 7 LastLast