+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Be Prepared For Unprepared People..!

1. Link to Post #1
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Default Be Prepared For Unprepared People..!

January 12, 2012

Guest post: by ‘Be informed’

In the aftermath of any unprecedented disastrous event, no matter how well prepared someone is with regards to a well accumulated stock of survival supplies, no one is truly ready or can anticipate how people will handle it. The emotional upheaval is difficult enough for yourself, throw in those around you within your circle of family and friends and you have some genuine stress. Nevertheless you are familiar and have certain bonds and mutual understandings with each other. Now, unless you are a totally isolated group, the actual issue is how those casual acquaintances, little known neighbors, people of your community, and strangers are going to act towards you and others when the normalcy and stable structure of society has broken down or collapsed.

It can be downright frightening to witness how a person you thought you knew becomes erratic and very volatile, a perfect word is “unhinged”. Try now to imagine that there is a calamity that goes into uncharted territory of overwhelming shock. You, your family, friends, maybe your whole neighborhood or even the better part of the city you live in might have stocked up and prepared to survive varying degrees of disasters. However, what do you do in regards to those that have NOT prepared?

This is mainly the issue that one is going to have to face with irrational people – the lack of their preparation and their need of food and other items. Aside from the obvious dangers of people that will try to come to your home or retreat and attempt to forcefully get what you have (which you should have defense plans for ahead of time), you might have to deal with individuals that are desperate, terrified, and disoriented. These people will come to your door in terrible distress, and whether you choose to answer the door will be a decision that you will have to make. You will have to decide whether to share what you have or not. I have personally reserved some food that I got with coupons for next to nothing for certain neighbors. Please beforehand, consider the following when thinking about handing out your supplies after a disaster.

Most people that have not stored away some food and supplies, other than those too poor to do so, have failed to “out of personal choice NOT to do so”. You and those in your group have gone without luxuries in order to prepare. Those that laughed at the idea of preparedness have spent their money on much useless junk, TOYS for amusement. Everything you give away will cut down on your family and group’s own time of survival. Survival food for 10 people for 3 months if shared with the average block of neighbors that is about 100 people that didn’t prepare will now only last 9 days. Think about the math and not being able to replace what you stored for your own survival before divvying it up. It may become quite difficult when very scared ill prepared people, nice and not so nice, come to your home and either plead or demand that you share.

An “in advance” solution that many people do not understand is to keep their mouths shut in regards to their preparations. Getting neighbors on board and getting them to store up is wonderful as this benefits all. Going around bragging about all the survival supplies you have and how you can make it through anything puts a great big fat bull’s eye on your home. You want to encourage and give valuable advice on how to stock up and store food and supplies to neighbors, not openly advertise that your house is a mini supermarket ripe for the pickens when the need presents itself. Too many make this mistake and become overly enthusiastic about prepping and forget the old adage that “loose lips sinks ships”.

On top of safeguarding what you have at all times, people MUST also watch over their dear pets. As repugnant as this sounds, some people are going to become ugly inside because of the desperateness of the dire situation and find and eat whatever animal is available. Someone MUST remain with their pets if they go outside or risk them disappearing. Your victory garden is also something that either has to be guarded at all times, or harvested early, to avoid the two legged varmints snatching every last vegetable and fruit you have growing. Disaster brings out some true weirdness in people, and people in your group should always go in at least pairs and children always have adults in their presence, if and when you must venture outside.

There are two extremes of unpredictable behavior to expect after a very intense and societal breakdown type of catastrophe. The first is not as likely at the offset, but becomes more probable as the time or lack of social order drags on. People begin to exhibit some raw animalistic behavior when doing whatever is necessary to get food and whatever they need and want. Ugliness that someone would expect in a prison in which just a handful of inmates have the remaining resources. Then there is the good nature of people that is supposed to separate the beast from man. This is where the community comes together and works for a common goal towards everyone’s survival. The standoffish neighbors are the ones out there with chainsaws clearing fallen trees and other debris. In other words, unpredictable stand and work togetherness. We can all hope!

Each community is different. But know this, whether it is intensely positive or horrifically negative, unprecedented and unbelievable disasters WILL bring about highly uncertain reactions in people around you. Any person planning survival and preparedness for future bad, ugly, and worst case events must understand and plan for; how to handle, adapt, and be ready for the many different “person to person equations” that will certainly continuously play out in everyone’s life.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/...epared-people/

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,350 times in 2,555 posts

Default Re: Be Prepared For Unprepared People..!

Excellent post Jack, and timely.

3. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 times in 687 posts

Fernando Aguirre's book on surviving the economic collapse comes to mind. Look up Ferfal Blog to learn more about him and his book.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lost Soul For This Post:

mojo (15th January 2012)

5. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,547 times in 5,657 posts

Hi Jackovesk,
    TY for this timely thread. I hope there are more threads about preparations, as this is an area I'm focusing on. Do you think it's possible to bring up preparations without it sounding fear mongering? I have so many questions about planning. take care...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

jackovesk (16th January 2012), panopticon (16th January 2012), RMorgan (23rd October 2012)

7. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,764 times in 987 posts

The sims that have been done on this scenario are very scary.

Strange I read this thread about 14 hrs ago - went to another couple of threads, then wanted to come back and reply, and it was gone. I went back and forth a few times from page to page in the new posts, over the next half hour or so, but it was not to be found. What is up with that?
    Last edited by CdnSirian; 15th January 2012 at 18:43. Reason: grammar

8. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

Good post, Jack. What I would like to add is that we will have tough choices to make if we are prepared and others are not. That will probably be much harder than any other aspect of a breakdown. In my own case, I know that I cannot withhold food from those who need it, especially children, so I have made my peace with that in advance and am prepared for the consequences. This is the sort of thing people need to think about realistically in advance so they are psychologically prepared. Being materially prepared is much easier.

Also think about what our attitude is in advance and how that will create our reality to come. Are we thinking in terms of how we will intimidate or kill anyone who threatens our well laid plans? Or are we prepared to be leaders to teach and assist those who are unprepared. It is easy to look upon the unprepared with disdain and write them off. Is that who we want to be? I think there is a greater challenge for those who want to accept it.
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

9. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

4evrneo (23rd October 2012), Alekahn (30th January 2012), Carmen (9th February 2012), CdnSirian (16th January 2012), centreoflight (23rd October 2012), Davy (6th March 2012), Debra (9th March 2012), GaelVictor (16th January 2012), Holly Lindin (24th October 2012), jackovesk (16th January 2012), JohnBlues (28th January 2012), Kristin (6th March 2012), modwiz (15th January 2012), Nasu (11th February 2012), panopticon (16th January 2012), RunningDeer (9th February 2012), Sebastion (11th February 2012), sunflower (16th January 2012), sygh (16th January 2012), Unified Serenity (15th January 2012), Vanessa (6th March 2012), Wind (16th January 2012)

10. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 times in 322 posts

Food for thought, whiskey! I agree with the direction of your thoughts even though it may be difficult to implement. Not to do so leads to the wrong kind of world to live in.
    Last edited by sunflower; 16th January 2012 at 01:31. Reason: Completing the post

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunflower For This Post:

4evrneo (23rd October 2012), RunningDeer (9th February 2012), Vanessa (6th March 2012), Whiskey_Mystic (10th February 2012)

12. Link to Post #8
    Sweden Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,114 times in 1,725 posts

In case of a disater I think to handle the unprepared is gonna be really

creepy. You really cant discuss with hungry, frozen people. And if they know

you have something they need, youll be in deep trouble. We, I and the

woman cant turn our home into a refugee camp, so we will have to leave.

When it comes to surviving we have to choose a few close to us to support.

Its a sad but necessary fact. And of course Im only speaking wots true for

me, others might have other ideas.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jorr lundstrom For This Post:

4evrneo (23rd October 2012), Alekahn (30th January 2012), CdnSirian (16th January 2012), Debra (9th March 2012), modwiz (16th January 2012), Nasu (11th February 2012), panopticon (16th January 2012), Sniffity (18th April 2012)

14. Link to Post #9
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,008 times in 2,305 posts

G'day All,

Excellent post Jacko.

I pity those who live in a city when something happens (as it does all the time).
    We made a choice years ago to live in a semi-remote valley (for a number of reasons) and are very happy with it. Our escape plan involves a direct 20 minute route (that gets no traffic) to higher ground if required.
    Otherwise plenty of game, livestock, vegetable gardens, wind/solar power and unpolluted fresh water.
    Couldn't imagine it any other way!

We take the Permaculture mantra "plan for disaster" seriously and have planned accordingly.
    Frankly, I don't understand those who are unprepared.
    Kind Regards,
    Panopticon
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Carmen (9th February 2012), Debra (9th March 2012), gooty64 (9th February 2012), jackovesk (16th January 2012), mosquito (9th February 2012)

16. Link to Post #10
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

Yes, the fear of societal collapse is very real in people.
    Life is precious, and the lives of your kin and friends are even more precious.
    In my view, those that can kill to "protect" their supplies are going to find themselves isolated and ostricized. Larger groups will gather and attack these people out of desperation.
    The only logical thing to do is share with whoever comes along and work to normalize things as fast as possible.
    Of course the nut cases have to be humanely dealt with, no doubt (a bullet in the brain should do).
    But normal "unprepared" people (of which there will be many, many) do not deserve such treatment - and do not deserve to be allowed to starve either. If you are not willing to share you should at least do the humane thing then...
    Is that how we want to start our new lives? Is that what we want our new world to be built upon?
    I think not.
    I can see the other side of this coin, of course. So I will not be offended when you turn me and mine away.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

gooty64 (9th February 2012), hohoemi (16th January 2012), jackovesk (16th January 2012), Nasu (11th February 2012), panopticon (16th January 2012), Vanessa (6th March 2012)

18. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 times in 818 posts

Steve quayle has an excellent preparedness manual on his website. However, I doubt I'd even remember this book if a nuke goes off in my country. I suppose I'll have to keep it in a prominent place & read a chapter every week.
    “There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.” -- Carl Jung

"To see the farm is to leave the farm."

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mulder For This Post:

panopticon (16th January 2012), Vanessa (6th March 2012)

20. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

Hello Wiskey Mystic

It takes a strong person to hold to her conviction. Your post helped me put a voice to my thoughts about in issue of what choice I’d pick in a violent invasion. I’ve never fired a gun. Though, I’ve taken some action steps: researched the models, skimmed the state laws, found a shop, and a brother offered to go with me.

In truth, I’d rather take the bullet than to give one. The thought of causing that kind of pain...shivers. And there’s my “Family Troop” from the other dimensions. We’ve come here to do a job, so I just don’t see the growlers at the door. But, here’s the but... Do I trust in my conviction of what I have been preparing for my whole life? A purchase negates at my inner core of knowing. Still on the fence, leaning towards the purchase, with the knowledge that I still have a choice not to use it.

I know full well this is my decision to make. (One of the many gifts given to Human-Beginnings on Mother Earth.) But I sure do appreciate your post, and my thanks in advance to the Wiskey Mystic. Peace, WhiteCrowBlackDeer

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

CdnSirian (10th March 2012), GlassSteagallfan (13th February 2012), Nasu (11th February 2012), Whiskey_Mystic (10th February 2012)

22. Link to Post #13
    New Zealand Avalon Member Carmen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,527 times in 1,560 posts

I seem to have been preparing for decades, first unconsciously and then consciously. I live rural and over the years I have become more self-sufficient, but also am preparing for folks to arrive. My woolshed I have turned into an event centre with a huge fireplace. It would house and keep people warm in an emergency. Have plenty of blankets and have stored warm clothes. Only people who knew would find us though and we would probably be cut off by water quite quickly.

I too, have thought about defense but I could not imagine turning away desperate people. The people who make it here will be the people who are meant to be here. In desperate times the real nature of people is revealed. Some rise to the challenge and others just lose it!
    Last edited by Carmen; 9th March 2012 at 04:40.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carmen For This Post:

Kristin (6th March 2012), Nasu (11th February 2012), Tane Mahuta (9th March 2012)

24. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

Quote Posted by WhiteCrowBlackDeer (here)
    Hello Wiskey Mystic

It takes a strong person to hold to her conviction. Your post helped me put a voice to my thoughts about in issue of what choice I’d pick in a violent invasion. I’ve never fired a gun. Though, I’ve taken some action steps: researched the models, skimmed the state laws, found a shop, and a brother offered to go with me.

In truth, I’d rather take the bullet than to give one. The thought of causing that kind of pain...shivers. And there’s my “Family Troop” from the other dimensions. We’ve come here to do a job, so I just don’t see the growlers at the door. But, here’s the but... Do I trust in my conviction of what I have been preparing for my whole life? A purchase negates at my inner core of knowing. Still on the fence, leaning towards the purchase, with the knowledge that I still have a choice not to use it.

I know full well this is my decision to make. (One of the many gifts given to Human-Beginnings on Mother Earth.) But I sure do appreciate your post, and my thanks in advance to the Wiskey Mystic. Peace, WhiteCrowBlackDeer
    I've given a lot of thought to pacifism vs. action. Violence vs. Self-Inflicted Victimization. I have two thoughts on this.

First, I don't think that taking physical action to protect yourself or your loved ones from harm is violence. I have decided that violence is an intention. I have witnessed a Taoist master disable an opponent in complete peace and serenity. There was no violence in the act. There was no judgement or hate. He did not see the opponent as an enemy. He simply took the action that the situation required of him. Now, most of us do not have this level of mastery of course, but it is something to think about when we consider self defense and action.

Secondly, I have come to the conclusion that when we think about whether or not we MUST defend ourselves, our homes, or whatever we value, we should do so from a greater perspective. We are afraid that someone will take something from us or kill us. But so what? In a thousand thousand lifetimes will it really matter? I'm not saying to roll over and die. I'm just saying that when considering what should be done, take the long view. Take fear of loss or death out of the equation.

I made one of my teachers laugh once when I retold the story of how when the Buddha sat under the Bodhi tree to meditate, an army of demons rose up and threw rocks at him. The rocks turned to flowers and landed at the Buddha's feet. I finished by saying, "I am not the Buddha.... and I am getting my ass kicked."
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

astrid (10th February 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (11th February 2012), Kristin (6th March 2012), Muzz (10th February 2012), Nasu (11th February 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (24th October 2012), RunningDeer (11th February 2012), write4change (10th February 2012)

26. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member write4change's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,634 times in 628 posts

An excellent perspective. The scene you describe of the Budda is played out by Keanu Reeves in the Little Buddha where he plays the Buddha. He is very young and very effective. I most love his epiphany watching an old man on the river teaching a student to pay the sidhar. Too much tension and the string breaks, no tension no music. He is the Wild Man starving to death who comes to moderation and he is initially abandoned by the aesthetics.

I still enjoy your shared wisdom. Thank you.
    Beware the axis of sanctimony.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to write4change For This Post:

astrid (10th February 2012), Whiskey_Mystic (10th February 2012)

28. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

These are your two passages that helped my clarify thoughts and fears:

“First, I don't think that taking physical action to protect yourself or your loved ones from harm is violence. I have decided that violence is an intention.”

“...take the long view. Take fear of loss or death out of the equation.”

I forgot it’s not either black or white. And I forgot that I have stepped in the line of fire to protect loved ones from violence. My intention was non-violence, mostly out of fear but now, years later, I’d say it was a counter-balance. And in the moment, back in the day there was no fear, no pain. Hours later, the physical evidence smarted, but still I knew it was the right thing to do. So I’ve already got that lesson down. And I thank you for helping me rummage around in my tool bag of knowledge and skills set.

One other point of thanks: I’ve done Tai Chi since 1988. With that art one learns, to meet force with equal force. Until I read your sentence, did it make concrete and practical sense. My thanks to you, Wiskey Mystic. Peace, WhiteCrowBlackDeer

29. Link to Post #17
    Australia Avalon Member Explodey's Avatar
    Thanks

Yep... gotta say it makes perfect common sense to be prepared for the worst...

Unfortunately for me, I have no common sense... Perhaps I have no sense at all... All that my sense tells me, is to live and enjoy what life I have, however short it may be.
    I am not entirely attached to this "existence" as though it is the "be all".
    Strangely I find myself detached from the calamity that is meant to be present right now.
    I just don't fear anymore.
    What is to be, will be... and always has.
    Please don't get me wrong... I love my kids, and would die for my family and friends in a wink... but I'm not going to waste my time here pissing up a rope.
    "Better to die on your feet than live on your knees"
    I don't vote anymore, I don't pay tax anymore, I don't pay for fluoridated water at all... I am no sheep.
    Btw.. I am %121 for living as the Quakers do - if not for the dogma...
    If your reality is fearful I am sorry, come live with me - you are all invited!
    Perhaps as the 200m high tsunami rolls across my lawn I will have a change of heart... until then I will continue to 'tune in, turn on , and drop out".
    X

i
    There's so many things to think about, can't think of anything I'd rather think of now...

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Explodey For This Post:

9eagle9 (11th February 2012), Sebastion (11th February 2012)

31. Link to Post #18
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,846 times in 452 posts

Mental preparedness will be the final test to find out who will live and who will die in the end.

32. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

There is a quality of self preservation about this discussion of not 'taking bullets' , but no self value. We have a world filled with high density people. Who will impose on people who understood what the changes in the world mean. And what is occuring in this episode in history and what it means for us all. Good people , who are sourced in something real, who want to take bullets instead of defend their own god self. If we all adopted this attitude, that those who are disconnnected from source should just shoot those who are, because they'd rather take the bullet than inflict pain on the people who are attempting to destroy a source connected person. If we all just allowed the fearful and panicked to shoot us how many God sourced people will be left? What will the world be left to? This world is not our ultimate reality but it has been a place we should honor for what has been shown to us here. Are we 'good' people just going to leave this earth to those who continue to destroy her after she has kept us all these eons?

Some of us have us have moved past what Source is saying besides 'do not kill' and listen more intently to "Love yourself as you would love others." If you would not shoot anothe person but allow them to shoot you. We are not getting the message of Love as you would others. Understand what we are sacrificing to preserve if we are intent on sacrificing our lives for it.

People who do that to you, do not hear that voice at all. They would be loving you as they love themselves, which is not at all. Don't emualte them out of distorted moral fear about how much you mean to the world. You mean quite a lot more than those who would shoot you over a can of sardines.

My sister and I were speaking yesterday, we are both still grieiving the loss of her daughter. My sister keeps saying, It would better if this had happened to me.

That just a transference of pain. Not abatement of it. If she had died instead of her daughter, pain would still have been experienced. We can't avoid pain, we can only open ourselves to life. She doesn't undertand her death in stead of her daughters would not have done anything better. Not for the rest of us, only her own pain would ceased. The same people would experienced pain. Death is death. It causes pain. It her own pain she's trying to get out from undert other thinking she should have been more deserving of death.

We need to learn how to sleep at night without doors unlocked... now.

I gotta say people who are stashing vast tons of convience foods are not getting it either. That will keep you for a while, but a bank of heirloom seeds will keep you forever. The panicking hordes are not looking for seeds they are looking for a stash of chips and dip. Readly available food. They have always operated under instant gratification.

Not ego self Preservation but Self Value, people who are really interdependent know their own self value , where did that SELF come from, what is it connected to, and what it is going to mean in shaping a better future. We spend so much time worrying about the welfare of those who are particpating in putting the lights out in the world that we don't give the same consideration to those who are putting the lights on in the world. Those light-less people? I'm not worried about them taking a bullet. That's just the consequences of the choices they've made in life. If its not a bullet it will be something else.

I'm worried about people who have some light still left in them, taking a bullet, because they'll do it out some distorted sense of human morals. I then have dispense the bullet on their behalf. If good people go down, what's going to be left? The idiots that perpetrated our destruction in the first place.

You want to help these people. Fine. Maybe you see something in THEM that is worth preserving the way I see something in you worth preserving. But don't take their bullet, that is defeating purpose.
    Stick a bigger gun in their face, and hand them some reserved seeds and hoes and tell them to get their lazy arses to work the same we had to.

In that way you can help them, and know that you helped, but make it clear you are preserving something in you that transcends flesh and mind. Go ahead and help them but do not fall to them. This has nothing to do with the fear of one's own death but don't die needlessly paving the way for the bandits to take over the world.

Do you think these people who kept their ears stuffed with cotton until the ceiling fell and then went out and predated on their neighbors are going to change the course of humanity to one we could feel pride in accomplishment in? No. They aren't doing it now under less destructive conditions?

I'm not worried, my neighbors think so little of me for my odd ways that I'm the last person they'd expect to have anything to offer to them. They live pretend rurual life always wanting to bring the city into the country. Moving in next to horse and dairy farms and calling the police all day because of the noise and manure. you give them carton of eggs that were laid that morning and they wrinkle their noses, "Those came out of a chickens butt, I'm not eating those." (wth?) Those people will not be looking at me. They'll running up the road with pitchforks and torches to break into Kid Rock's estate.

Because that is where their value lies at still, even after wealth and economics fail, they will STILL be thinking that is the answer to their peril.

33. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,034 times in 1,088 posts

Like everything else, it's duelistic, the best defense can be a good offense and vise versa. I would personally rather focus on building and creating our next stage of evolution as a species, rather than merely surviving some terrible calamity, but am willing to protect light minded souls in the transition. With my focus on building, we will need every capable hand and mind we can find. Personally I would rather go down together in misery and starvation, than well armed fat and alone.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

Explodey (11th February 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast