+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 3 8 LastLast

Thread: Proof that Western Women are Brain Washed

1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,709 times in 914 posts

Default Re: Proof that Western Women are Brain Washed

This discussion makes me think of the Amish, and how they value 'plain-ness' as a sign of beauty. How different from the superficial perception of beauty in advertising.

The more something is plain, the more beautiful it is...beautiful in its natural simplicity. Funny how the Amish are viewed as backward, when this shows pretty advanced thinking.
    Last edited by Lettherebelight; 15th January 2012 at 13:44.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Lettherebelight For This Post:

astrid (15th January 2012), Belle (15th January 2012), Black Panther (15th January 2012), Brodie75 (15th January 2012), Calz (15th January 2012), CdnSirian (15th January 2012), Corncrake (15th January 2012), DNA (15th January 2012), Holly Lindin (27th January 2012), modwiz (15th January 2012), panopticon (17th January 2012)

3. Link to Post #42
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,460 times in 1,155 posts

Quote Posted by ulli (here)
    Ever heard of projection?
    I believe I am familiar with the meaning of that term. However I am still a bit mystified what your meaning was with your earlier statement:
    "
    I wish someone did another one for guys who have become addicted to blow-up dolls because their fantasies have become so unhinged they can no longer relate to anyone who is not made of vinyl. "
    Would you care to elaborate, I fail to fully make the connection from the original OP video of a young girls face being manipulated by cosmetics and photo manipulation by adobe photoshop to how you equated that to males addiction to blow us sex toys?
    Last edited by Vitalux; 15th January 2012 at 13:44.

4. Link to Post #43
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,559 times in 1,013 posts

These days whenever i see any fancy advertisements,big corporate advertising,glossy ads etc i immediately think of the movie "They Live" and the sunglasses scene

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sgAwdixodjw

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ponda For This Post:

astrid (15th January 2012), Aurvandil (16th January 2012), Belle (15th January 2012), Calz (15th January 2012), CdnSirian (15th January 2012), christian (15th January 2012), DNA (15th January 2012), GaelVictor (15th January 2012), Holly Lindin (27th January 2012), Miller (15th January 2012), modwiz (15th January 2012)

6. Link to Post #44
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,915 times in 4,329 posts

In the words of Marsellus Wallace of Pulp Fiction, "The world is full of unrealistic motherf*ckers".
    I see folks plagued by fairytale paralysis.

My uncle is a bit of a computer nerd. The guy wasn't god's gift to social interaction. And what's worse, he kept a stack of playboys with which he kind of drew upon for the realistic standard as far as women were concerned. What's worse, is that my uncle was a short pudgy fat guy with a crappy job.
    My uncle bless his soul, he asked me in 1997 wha the problem was. He stated "I don't know what it is, I ask these women out (on social networking sites) and they look at my profile and they don't want anything to do with me". My uncle had a genius level IQ, but couldn't figuire out that he was being completely unrealistic in terms of looking for a potential mate.
    He was asking out the most beautifull women who happened to be in their midtwenties. And he was 45. Just so unrealistic.

I explained to him how shallow he was being, and further, an analogy regarding how boxers need to know their wieght class and not try to enter into bouts where they are liable to get knocked out.
    My uncle isn't so much a victim of the air brushed model thing (though the playboys could be argued contributed to his problem) my uncle was more a victim of believing the unrealistic story lines of movies where the short nerdy guy gets the hot girl every time. Kind of a fairy tale paralysis if you will.
    I find quite a few folks are plagued by this as they scrap relationship after relationship because they haven't found their hit movie relationship yet.

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

astrid (15th January 2012), Aurvandil (16th January 2012), Belle (15th January 2012), Black Panther (15th January 2012), Calz (15th January 2012), CdnSirian (15th January 2012), Corncrake (15th January 2012), Holly Lindin (27th January 2012), modwiz (15th January 2012), wolf_rt (15th January 2012)

8. Link to Post #45
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Would you care to elaborate, I fail to fully make the connection from the original OP video of a young girls face being manipulated by cosmetics and photo manipulation by adobe photoshop and how you equated that to males addiction to blow us sex toys?
    Hi Gary, i would presume the person was making the analogy that the girl in the video has become fake/un-real, as are blow-up dolls fake not real? It is an extreme example as a real human can't really be compared to a blow-up-doll, a better analogy would be a cybernic being? However still not real! It is alarming that so many people have become conformed to ideals that are not real is the main message in this thread. It is a very simple message, that has been turned into something else entirely. At the end of the day fake is not beautiful, it is fake, its a phony and can replicate/copy imitate, but it can never be real. Pinnocio only ever wanted to be a real boy as he was not happy as a puppet, we women prefer to be real women, not puppets, if you guys like puppets/muppets thats upto you? Not that im saying all guys are brain-washed by girls that are puppets, just the message that this effects men/women/children and this message is very important for today's society in which we live, we are not brainwashed by the message, but the people who control the message i.e. the ones pulling our strings and making us beleive that the fake world is the real world, this is what media does, especially with the fairly new genre of reality t.v., which is so far from reality its un-true lol x
    Last edited by nf857; 15th January 2012 at 13:52.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nf857 For This Post:

Belle (15th January 2012), Black Panther (15th January 2012), CdnSirian (15th January 2012), ulli (15th January 2012), Vitalux (15th January 2012), wolf_rt (15th January 2012)

10. Link to Post #46
    Australia Avalon Member wolf_rt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 times in 418 posts

One thing i would like to add here.

I personally find all but the most subtle make up a real turn off. The 'barby blonde bombshell' the most unattractive of all.
    many things that are commonly considered 'defects', I find very appealing. ie. lazy eye, crocked nose, different coloured eyes etc. These things lend character to a face, and character is where it's at for me.

These advertising types are doing themselves a disservice turning interesting faces into 'barbie' faces, in my case anyway.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wolf_rt For This Post:

astrid (15th January 2012), Belle (15th January 2012), CdnSirian (15th January 2012), DNA (15th January 2012), Holly Lindin (27th January 2012), Ivanhoe (15th January 2012), modwiz (15th January 2012), panopticon (17th January 2012), ulli (15th January 2012)

12. Link to Post #47
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by wolf_rt (here)

I personally find all but the most subtle make up a real turn off. The 'barby blonde bombshell' the most unattractive of all.
    many things that are commonly considered 'defects', I find very appealing. ie. lazy eye, crocked nose, different coloured eyes etc. These things lend character to a face, and character is where it's at for me.

These advertising types are doing themselves a disservice turning interesting faces into 'barbie' faces, in my case anyway.
    That's why my post was also one of personal opinion/preference. As Darla brought up duality... we do live in a duality/polarity world so there are really no facts to turn to in this case. Just opinions based on personal views and experiences. Almost any topic can be argued validly on opposing sides.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G.A For This Post:

CdnSirian (15th January 2012), wolf_rt (15th January 2012)

14. Link to Post #48
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote I personally find all but the most subtle make up a real turn off. The 'barby blonde bombshell' the most unattractive of all.

These advertising types are doing themselves a disservice turning interesting faces into 'barbie' faces, in my case anyway
    Hey Wolf, nice to hear a bloke who is honest with himself, men dont like their fantasy's being ruined by the simple fact that their fantasy's are not real, as it means they actually have to grow up and become real men, instead of boys or like pinnochio 'real boys' lol well said x

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nf857 For This Post:

CdnSirian (15th January 2012)

16. Link to Post #49
    Australia Avalon Member wolf_rt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 times in 418 posts

I don't claim any 'kudos' for being attracted to 'interesting looking' women rather than 'barby doll' women... that's just how i am.

when my mates point out someone "ohh... she's hot"... I am usually unimpressed... This was never a conscious decision on my part... just how i am.

(if you want to give me credit for something along these lines... I have never had a sexual relationship with someone i don't 'know' and am attracted to on a spiritual level... this was a conscious decision...lol.)
    Last edited by wolf_rt; 15th January 2012 at 14:05.

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wolf_rt For This Post:

Belle (15th January 2012), CdnSirian (15th January 2012), DNA (15th January 2012), Holly Lindin (27th January 2012), Ivanhoe (15th January 2012), modwiz (15th January 2012), ulli (15th January 2012)

18. Link to Post #50
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,172 times in 13,485 posts

Quote Posted by gary-arsenault (here)
    Ever heard of projection?
    I believe I am familiar with the meaning of that term. However I am still a bit mystified what your meaning was with your earlier statement:
    "
    I wish someone did another one for guys who have become addicted to blow-up dolls because their fantasies have become so unhinged they can no longer relate to anyone who is not made of vinyl. "
    Would you care to elaborate, I fail to fully make the connection from the original OP video of a young girls face being manipulated by cosmetics and photo manipulation by adobe photoshop to how you equated that to males addiction to blow us sex toys?
    Ok, we can't compare apples and oranges, I agree.

I was comparing the end results of addictive behavior...and bringing in males so as not to leave them out of the equation.
    Maybe I should have clarified that a bit more.

The misunderstanding happened because you probably thought my comment was about the media, when in fact I was thinking about the victims, the teenage girls who become bulemic.
    Which then led me to think about who are the victims on the male side of the divide.
    And so I thought of sex addiction in males, as their natural response.
    Both genders have been equally messed with by the media who like to control baser instincts rather than appeal to higher levels in the human psyche.

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

9eagle9 (18th January 2012), astrid (15th January 2012), Belle (15th January 2012), CdnSirian (15th January 2012), DNA (15th January 2012), Flash (15th January 2012), Holly Lindin (27th January 2012), modwiz (15th January 2012), Vitalux (15th January 2012)

20. Link to Post #51
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Quote Posted by Lettherebelight (here)
    This discussion makes me think of the Amish, and how they value 'plain-ness' as a sign of beauty. How different from the superficial perception of beauty in advertising.

The more something is plain, the more beautiful it is...beautiful in its natural simplicity. Funny how the Amish are viewed as backward, when this shows pretty advanced thinking.
    There is no question, some people are just plain beautiful.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by ponda (here)
    These days whenever i see any fancy advertisements,big corporate advertising,glossy ads etc i immediately think of the movie "They Live" and the sunglasses scene

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sgAwdixodjw
    I like this clip. It reminds me of the situation today where more and more of us can see our politicians and CEO's as the twisted personalities they really are under the 300 dollar haircuts and and even costlier suits.

21. Link to Post #52
    Germany Avalon Member christian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,191 times in 2,965 posts

Let people do what they want [unless it interferes with others' free self-determination], but they should be aware of what they are doing, why they are doing it and what consequences there are. - This will regulate things naturally.

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to christian For This Post:

astrid (15th January 2012), Belle (15th January 2012), CdnSirian (15th January 2012), DNA (15th January 2012), Flash (15th January 2012), Holly Lindin (27th January 2012), modwiz (15th January 2012), Muzz (15th January 2012), panopticon (17th January 2012), ulli (15th January 2012), wolf_rt (15th January 2012)

23. Link to Post #53
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote I don't claim any 'kudos' for being attracted to 'interesting looking' women rather than 'barby doll' women... that's just how i am.

when my mates point out someone "ohh... she's hot"... I am usually unimpressed... This was never a conscious decision on my part... just how i am.
    Its usually the case, men just agree with their mates, & women are dumfounded by that fact, its like you are all still in the playground playing kiss-chase and who gets to kiss Barbie? Lol,even though most of you actually fancy sindy- lol you get the gist. If one women finds a guy hot, she does not agree with the other women, she usually goes 'oh...do you?' 'on ....no?! why lol as we have our own tastes in the law of attraction, its just the male folk have not seemed to caught onto the fact that the law of attraction does not mean the barbie girl over there, cos my mates are all saying shes hot, its an individual thing, you might initially fine barbie very hot, however then you realise she is fake, and there is nothing more to hear than her asthetical values, when it comes to conversation, common interests, goals etc etc, her attractive qualities suddenly becomes less.

On a conscious level the male brain already knows this, however sub-consiously it has been programed somewhat to beleif what is hot is what they say on the T.V. which is fake x

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nf857 For This Post:

Belle (15th January 2012), Black Panther (15th January 2012), CdnSirian (15th January 2012), DNA (15th January 2012), Flash (15th January 2012), modwiz (15th January 2012), ulli (15th January 2012), wolf_rt (15th January 2012)

25. Link to Post #54
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    In the words of Marsellus Wallace of Pulp Fiction, "The world is full of unrealistic motherf*ckers".

My uncle is a bit of a computer nerd. The guy wasn't god's gift to social interaction. And what's worse, he kept a stack of playboys with which he kind of drew upon for the realistic standard as far as women were concerned. What's worse, is that my uncle was a short pudgy fat guy with a crappy job.
    My uncle bless his soul, he asked me in 1997 wha the problem was. He stated "I don't know what it is, I ask these women out (on social networking sites) and they look at my profile and they don't want anything to do with me". My uncle had a genius level IQ, but couldn't figuire out that he was being completely unrealistic in terms of looking for a potential mate.
    He was asking out the most beautifull women who happened to be in their midtwenties. And he was 45. Just so unrealistic.

I explained to him how shallow he was being, and further, an analogy regarding how boxers need to know their wieght class and not try to enter into bouts where they are liable to get knocked out.
    My uncle isn't so much a victim of the air brushed model thing (though the playboys could be argued contributed to his problem) my uncle was more a victim of believing the unrealistic story lines of movies where the short nerdy guy gets the hot girl every time. Kind of a fairy tale paralysis if you will.
    I find quite a few folks are plagued by this as they scrap relationship after relationship because they haven't found their hit movie relationship yet.
    I love your boxers analogy. A less than stunning male friend of mine who used the phrase that people need to learn to "punch at their own weight level". Exactly what you are saying. Now he was a a nice enough looking man happily married to a nice enough looking woman and two sweet children.

Although I am reminded of a Joe Jackson song, "Is He Really Going Out With Her"?

"Pretty girls walking with gorillas down my street".

26. Link to Post #55
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,915 times in 4,329 posts

Quote Posted by modwiz (here)
    Quote Posted by DNA (here)

I love your boxers analogy. A less than stunning male friend of mine who used the phrase that people need to learn to "punch at their own weight level". Exactly what you are saying. Now he was a a nice enough looking man happily married to a nice enough looking woman and two sweet children.

Although I am reminded of a Joe Jackson song, "Is He Really Going Out With Her"?

"Pretty girls walking with gorillas down my street".
    I'm reminded me of the Jimmy Soul song.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Belle (15th January 2012), Black Panther (15th January 2012), modwiz (15th January 2012)

28. Link to Post #56
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,705 times in 8,941 posts

Quote Posted by Lettherebelight (here)
    It's up to mothers, fathers and loving guardians to instill real self esteem and good judgement in their children.

Then, no amount of false advertising will affect them to any serious degree.

No legislation needed, just good old fashioned parenting...with lots of love.

We lead by example.
    Wow, the mothers are guilty again and the parents as a whole as well. If their daughter has low self esteem, it is because of parenthood.

How far are we going to go before admitting that there is something definitly wrong with advertising to make money at aaaany price, even if young girls become anorexic and die. Even if you have a row of unhappy beings, young girls because of low self esteem, boys because they think they should deserve the fake beauty and depreciate the wonderful being they are with, - even Gary admits the fake is better.... duh..., this goes as well for the hard core porn that boys look at and then ask their 14 years old girl friend, for example, to do the same duh.... taking women for porn acts.

They won't be happier as adults, unless they go to therapy to change their beliefs and behaviors, but sex based behaviors won't change even with therapies (this is probably THE strongest programming one can have when it is link with sexual conten and advertisers/PTB knows it).

Low self esteem at teenager time is establish through other's eyes, teenager is the age of individual socializing of the young, therefore self esteem is then based on the other's views of them, not the parents. The teenager could not care less what the parent sees in them if their friends reject them.

Stop accusing parents for everything the kids do/think/live for one, and see the social responsibilities that are NEVER taken into account when there is commercial gains for one.

Do ask teenagers how they feel with those pretty women (girls and boys) what they think, see, live and want. You will see how srewed up it can get. When they have older ones with head on the shoulders and heart at the right place, it helps, but that is not a compensation for the commercial use and abuse of teenagers brains, hearts and sexuality.
    Last edited by Flash; 15th January 2012 at 14:27.

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

astrid (15th January 2012), Belle (15th January 2012), Calz (15th January 2012), CdnSirian (15th January 2012), Corncrake (15th January 2012), Little Ishta (15th January 2012), panopticon (17th January 2012)

30. Link to Post #57
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

Thanks astrid.

I watched the OP vid and did a quick skim through the thread so perhaps this has already been pointed out.

I think the far more damaging and prevalent issue here than facial beauty is body image. It is everywhere (men too of course but particularly women). Advertising is in our face 24/7 and short of growing up in an Amish community (as mentioned) quite unavoidable. Regadless of how aware of the situation and doing your best as a parent our children clearly absord a tremendous amount of that directly and through peer pressure.

I expect most here are aware of studies proving that the "pretty people" have the easier path on their career paths as well.

Cal

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

astrid (15th January 2012), Belle (15th January 2012), CdnSirian (15th January 2012), Corncrake (15th January 2012), Flash (15th January 2012), modwiz (15th January 2012)

32. Link to Post #58
    Deactivated
    Thanks

There are genetic factors to be considered in such disorders...advertising with its lack of social conscience exacerbates the genetic tendencies. Where are the parents and families of the brainwashed? It's likely they are victims of their own familial brainwashing? My personal and very strongly held belief is that societal child rearing practice is killing our society. Perhaps what we see is not brainwashing but rather the good old fashioned lemming instinct? The center of societal gravitas can be found at the statistical mean which ain't always the best place for anything to be found.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alienHunter For This Post:

CdnSirian (15th January 2012), Holly Lindin (27th January 2012)

34. Link to Post #59
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

No one is holding a gun to their head. A person can see a gun.

What is being held in their heads and put there is auto hypnosis. The Ultimate in Control Freaking. Subliminal advertising that says if YOu do not look like somethign that really doesn't exist in the first place, you are failing.

It happens to men too.

Quote Posted by gary-arsenault (here)
    Quote Posted by astrid (here)
    Gary, young girls with eating disorders and low self esteem,
    are born out of the medias portrayal of the "ideal woman"
    - that woman isn't even real.
    And men then expect woman to look this this,
    it's unhealthy as it's not based on reality.

It's not empowering, positive, nor truthful.
    Not important? Ask someone with a teenage
    daughter with anorexia and you might start to
    understand why this is a BIG problem.
    Images are powerful things, they influence us on
    so many different levels, whether you realize it or not.[COLOR="red"]

Think of the bigger question here.....so where do you draw the line?
    If you set a hundred people in a room, do you think you will get a consensus of where to draw the line?

Are you prepared to dictate to photographers, advertisers etc in the industry what they can or can't do with images they take with their cameras?

What next, when women wear make up, or try and improve their appearance will other women be encouraged to mock or harass them?
    Think of how if a woman tries to wear a fur coat in this current environment she often will get mocked and harassed by animal rights activist.

A couple years ago, in my community, there was a group of people that were trying to bring out a bi-law that would make it illegal for anyone watering their lawn to have water wet the public side walk.
    The people were complaining that they had an issue with having to walk in the summer time across wet pavement.

Do you catch my drift..... Is this really an issue that is worth beating the war drum over.....

Or are we following some illogical behavior of bitching about anything and everything we can find to complain about ....rather or not it makes sense.

Edit

Quote Posted by Hatemachines (here)

Young women and girls are being forced upon a false idea of beauty and behaviour that is artificial and de-humanizes tbh.
    They develop all kinds of psychotic behaviour from this like Anorexia and Bulimia but the effect is more subtle in most individuals.
    Is there something I am missing?

Do the young girls have a GUN to their heads?
    Is there some person holding a knife to their throats?

No one is forcing anyone to do anything.

Folks are just so caught up into being control freaks and of course....we gotta have Drama like Jerry Springer...

that now we have to have a crises over advertisers in the fashion industry.

Do the beer Commercials force you to run out and buy their brand of beer?
    Does Mac Donald's put a gun to your head and force you to buy a hamburger?

No

35. Link to Post #60
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote I expect most here are aware of studies proving that the "pretty people" have the easier path on their career paths as well.
    From the un-pretty persons perspective i would presume, certainly it helps to be more naturally conventionally attractive as you hold a certain presence on people, however with this great attractiveness, comes less friends & less people wanting to engage you in conversation, due to being intimadated by you. I myself am conventionally beautiful, hence why i never put make-up on as well, however ive found it hard to have friends who have not shown their intentions to becoming from a place of jealously or initmadation x

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nf857 For This Post:

Corncrake (15th January 2012), DNA (15th January 2012), modwiz (15th January 2012), wolf_rt (15th January 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 3 8 LastLast