Thread: Meditation is very simple.

1. Link to Post #1
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Default Meditation is very simple.

Meditation is very simple.

Look...see....drop.....rest!

When looking out there is a sense of seeing.
    In being aware of this seeing there is knowing,
    the attention moves inward.
    In looking inward there is a sense of knowing.
    No thing is known, there is just knowing.

This just knowing, is pure knowing.

Drop everything, do not modify anything.
    Rest in this natural ordinary state.

The senses are wide open. Thoughts will
    come, let them pass, do not follow.

In just resting, just knowing...
    ...you are now meditating ...or just being!

Now you are just being, meditation is now
    the continuity of being.

More detail.

Bum on Cushion

As long as you are relaxed and your back is straight,
    you can sit on a chair or cushion.
    Lying down is possible, but one tends to go to sleep.
    Sitting straight helps with natural breathing and flow,
    and keeps your mind alert.
    Hands on lap or thighs, eyes slightly open, or open.
    If there are many thoughts, just lower the gaze.
    If you are feeling sleepy, raise the gaze.
    Nothing forced, everything relaxed.

The senses are wide open.
    Here we may have to make a distinction between paths. This is called Shamata meditation, and it uses the breath as a focus. Merely noticing the inhalation and exhalation, thoughts will come - just return to watching the breath. The thoughts may seem to get worse. They are not - you are just noticing more! The point here is that it is your time to relax, rest and be at peace. The body is still, and gradually the mind becomes still...but aware! You can go back to thinking later. This is called Shamata with support.

Sometimes, we find ourselves in a vacant state, a dreamy state, which can be mistaken for meditation, but it's not.
    It is a state of ignorance...not knowing. When we are day dreaming, we are cut off from our senses, and from what is around us.

Once we are more or less comfortable with watching the breath, we come to Shamata without support. This is simply noticing that at the end and beginning of each breath, there is a gap - or we notice a gap between thoughts.
    In that gap, we rest naturally.
    There is a still 'nowness' present, and the senses remain wide open.
    With the senses wide open and the sense of nowness, one can take the meditation into daily life. One experiences moments of spaciousness.

Shamata with and without support are both still at a conceptual level, but it's a start.
    It is building a firm foundation.
    It's good to notice the difference between the two, as sometimes we have to return to Shamata with support when thoughts are rampant!

Tony

2. The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

another bob (16th January 2012), aranuk (16th January 2012), BlueGem (16th January 2012), bridgetlilstar (16th January 2012), Corncrake (19th January 2012), crested-duck (21st January 2012), Curt (16th January 2012), David Trd1 (19th January 2012), elysian (16th January 2012), Ernie Nemeth (22nd January 2012), exchange student (17th January 2012), fifi (16th January 2012), gdiggs (24th January 2012), gs_powered (17th January 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (19th January 2012), Ivanhoe (16th January 2012), Jenci (16th January 2012), Kindred (16th January 2012), leavesoftrees (17th January 2012), Lifebringer (19th January 2012), Lisab (16th January 2012), Lost Soul (17th January 2012), mab777 (16th January 2012), mahalall (16th January 2012), miqeel (19th January 2012), Muzz (16th January 2012), mysticalmary (19th January 2012), nomadguy (20th January 2012), Paa (16th January 2012), Peter Kraai (16th January 2012), Richard S. (22nd January 2012), ROMANWKT (19th January 2012), Sidney (22nd January 2012), Strat (24th January 2012), Tane Mahuta (2nd February 2012), thew88 (1st February 2012), uncleroach (19th January 2012), Watching from Cyprus (16th January 2012), wolf_rt (16th January 2012), Woody (16th January 2012), Words of Joy (16th January 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Netherlands Avalon Member Peter Kraai's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Meditation is very simple.

You have no idea how much I needed this post ! Great stuff Tony
    I'm grateful everyday, for being able to look at the universe and think, wow..

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peter Kraai For This Post:

Curt (16th January 2012), exchange student (17th January 2012), Jenci (16th January 2012), Lisab (16th January 2012), Sidney (22nd January 2012), Tony (16th January 2012), uncleroach (19th January 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Ukraine Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by pie'n'eal (here)

Sometimes, we find ourselves in a vacant state, a dreamy state, which can be mistaken for meditation, but it's not.
    It is a state of ignorance...not knowing. When we are day dreaming, we are cut off from our senses, and from what is around us.

Tony
    can you tell me what was the next experience all about?

at some point becomes feeling like you'v gone or dissolved. it's like you lost your body. your mind exists and it feels like there is no those senses you experience in every day life. it's like phisical world dessapired but there also a sence of a different state of mind like it has just encountered the other reality that has nothing to do with our world. and it's like you gained new set of senses but it is so new to you that you can yet perceive them consciously.

it is the closest i could describe it. but it is still far from true picture. maybe you would be able to shed some light on this.

thank you in advance

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to philosopher For This Post:

Jenci (16th January 2012), Strat (24th January 2012), Tony (17th January 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Dear philosopher

This is a really, really, really tricky question about a delicate matter.
    The answer will depend on your mindset, and the information that you have heard, because there are followers of the Vipassana path who do “cut off” from their senses when practising, and may get many unusual experiences.
    The path that I follow is the Tantric path of direct seeing, so the answer will be different from the answer given by someone from the Vipassana perspective.
    In direct seeing, there is pure perception. If you want to look it up, it is called the Dzogchen tradition, and empty essence is known as 'rigpa'. From this point of view, all appearances in the mind or the physical are mere distractions. But, they are also perfect reflections of essence, as everything that appears is empty in essence and has no substantiality.
    One of the problems with discussing this is that information is not knowledge until there is experience of that information: then we have experiential/empirical knowledge. The outcome of this knowledge is wisdom: knowing our true nature. The outcome of that is compassion.
    Sometimes, people need a path with experiences and flowers.
    Sometimes, people's paths are totally clear.
    Some of us stop now and again to read the signs and travel brochures.
    Sometimes, people's paths are a combination.
    It all depends on what one is drawn to – this is why one cannot be dogmatic in any way.

So, to try and simplify the answer...anything that appears is a product of mind projection: a projection of consciousness.
    It is thus irrelevant, but sometimes people make it into a big deal, until they decide to let go!
    If you are looking, everything is in progress.

Regards
    Tony

PS if you are interested, and want to know more, go to the Groups...there is a Meditation Group with info on it.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

aranuk (16th January 2012), bridgetlilstar (16th January 2012), Curt (16th January 2012), gs_powered (17th January 2012), Jenci (16th January 2012), Kindred (16th January 2012), philosopher (16th January 2012), taizen (16th January 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

It's a pity we have to used the word meditation, all it is, is being ordinary, allowing the mind to just reflect without clinging to anything. When we cling to our baggage, we limit our experiences.

When we let go of our baggage, we also increase our intelligence, and are more jolly.

Tony

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

Curt (16th January 2012), fifi (16th January 2012), Jenci (16th January 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

It's a pity we have to used the word meditation, all it is, is being ordinary, allowing the mind to just reflect without clinging to anything. When we cling to our baggage, we limit our experiences.

When we let go of our baggage, we also increase our intelligence, and are more jolly.

Tony
    And it doesnt cost a penny....

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shijo For This Post:

Jenci (16th January 2012), Tarka the Duck (16th January 2012), Tony (17th January 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    Belgium Avalon Member bridgetlilstar's Avatar
    Thanks

like the way you did use words Pie'neal.. there's that dichotomy when it comes to describing or analysing meditation: everyone's experiences of it will be different, creating different outcomes or results. Meditation is simple yet so complex Yes, being, just being the oberver and the observed. No judging. Just letting go. No trying to control this thought or that feeling. Wonderful "tool"

Love to all,

Bridget

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bridgetlilstar For This Post:

Jenci (16th January 2012), Tarka the Duck (16th January 2012), Tony (17th January 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    United Arab Emirates Avalon Member mahalall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,949 times in 591 posts

Hi Pie

if i could just clarify to a word shared

it only becomes unusual when one cuts off the sense of mind.

For if one is practising Vipassana with mindfulness of anicca, even the dissolution experience is seen for as it is-impermanent.

enjoying your walks

metta

(a vipassanee on secondment)
    Last edited by mahalall; 16th January 2012 at 19:08.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mahalall For This Post:

Tony (17th January 2012)

17. Link to Post #9
    Portugal Avalon Member gs_powered's Avatar
    Thanks

Tony
    It's funny because when I started wanting to know more about meditation, I found out that part of me was already doing it sometimes.
    Now that I want to meditate it's a little trickier... One thing I'm having trouble with is the eyes being opened or just gazing, they keep closing and that's how I've been doing it, no falling asleep so far

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gs_powered For This Post:

Tony (17th January 2012)

19. Link to Post #10
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Dear gs

Whatever you find comfortable is right. It also depends on which kind of meditation you are doing.

However, trying with the eyes slightly open - or fully open - does have the benefit of the senses being wide open and unblocked, and it also helps one to then meditate in everyday life.
    When closing the eyes, one should be aware of not drifting into a dreamy, or a vacant state.

You have found what works for you. For anyone else reading this, try both ways and see which works best.
    Tony

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony For This Post:

gs_powered (17th January 2012)

21. Link to Post #11
    Portugal Avalon Member gs_powered's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok, now I really must try with my eyes wide open... btw, do you focus on something physical or just gaze the emptiness?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to gs_powered For This Post:

Tony (19th January 2012)

23. Link to Post #12
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by gs_powered (here)
    Ok, now I really must try with my eyes wide open... btw, do you focus on something physical or just gaze the emptiness?
    Eyes open, but not strained.
    Become aware of peripheral vision - this produces a sense of spaciousness.
    A clear mind, like a mirror that reflects everything.
    All senses open and relaxed.
    Be aware of the gentle breath.

That's it!

Tony

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

gs_powered (17th January 2012), Jenci (17th January 2012)

25. Link to Post #13
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

[QUOTE]
    Quote Sometimes, people need a path with experiences and flowers.
    It all depends on what one is drawn to – this is why one cannot be dogmatic in any way.
    Hi Pineal, very intersted to know what mediation we all should be following, & can you tell us more about other meditation that others use? There are meditations on raising your vibration? However i find mine is already raised to the highest platform in this existence. There are ones called DMT,these are supposed to bring about the astral plane without doing the drug itself- it has been proven that DMT is an anti-addictive drug, thereby you can never get addicted to it. Ive never done it though lol, id rather not make myself a human guniea pig. The list goes on and on on, i think the best one ive found as one with 'gongs' going on in the background & a gorgeous waterfall can be heard. What do you listen too? I see the music is supposed to just help the mind relax, i know however that later technologies have known been proven to actually bring this about as well. I bet you dont have to use any music do you?

Your quote above, ive found ive walked the path, many many many times, however it always leads me back on the same path? x

26. The Following User Says Thank You to nf857 For This Post:

Tony (19th January 2012)

27. Link to Post #14
    Canada Avalon Member exchange student's Avatar
    Thanks

Hello fellow avalonians,

I have just recently started practicing the art of meditation, I have noticed that I feel more relaxed after meditation to the point where i can barely sleep.

Is it healthy to replace sleeping with meditation?

Cheers,

Steve
    To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom/ Vaincre la peur représente le début de la sagesse

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exchange student For This Post:

mahalall (19th January 2012), Tony (19th January 2012)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 times in 349 posts

Thank you,refreshing

30. The Following User Says Thank You to David Trd1 For This Post:

Tony (19th January 2012)

31. Link to Post #16
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by exchange student (here)
    Hello fellow avalonians,

I have just recently started practicing the art of meditation, I have noticed that I feel more relaxed after meditation to the point where i can barely sleep.

Is it healthy to replace sleeping with meditation?

Cheers,

Steve
    Hello Steve,
    Your body and mind needs sleep. Don't do a lot of meditation before sleep...it will wake you up!
    However, because of a meditational life, sleep may become lighter.
    It is possible to practice in dream sleep, this is important in death practices.

Better to fall asleep with compassion to all sentient beings.
    It is possible to need less sleep because of meditation, but be wise and healthy.

Yours,
    Tony

¤=[Post Update]=¤

[QUOTE=nf857;405831]
    Quote Sometimes, people need a path with experiences and flowers.
    Hi Pineal, very intersted to know what mediation we all should be following, & can you tell us more about other meditation that others use? There are meditations on raising your vibration? However i find mine is already raised to the highest platform in this existence. There are ones called DMT,these are supposed to bring about the astral plane without doing the drug itself- it has been proven that DMT is an anti-addictive drug, thereby you can never get addicted to it. Ive never done it though lol, id rather not make myself a human guniea pig. The list goes on and on on, i think the best one ive found as one with 'gongs' going on in the background & a gorgeous waterfall can be heard. What do you listen too? I see the music is supposed to just help the mind relax, i know however that later technologies have known been proven to actually bring this about as well. I bet you dont have to use any music do you?

Your quote above, ive found ive walked the path, many many many times, however it always leads me back on the same path? x
    Dear nf,

Meditation is just .....being .....ordinary.

Always go back to simplicity,

Love,
    Tony

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

exchange student (19th January 2012), mahalall (19th January 2012)

33. Link to Post #17
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Meditation is just .....being .....ordinary.

Always go back to simplicity,
    Yes my life is nothing but simplistic in its very nature, i have a very limited life to others, however to me my life is very full, full of the un-complications lol, can it be said that as i am just being, in the moment always that i am reaching the meditative state without meditating? x

34. Link to Post #18
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks

I am an ardent follower of Swami Vivekananda....whenever I meditate I try to picture him in front of my eyes...and along with him Mother Kali...trust me it works...:D

35. The Following User Says Thank You to tgops For This Post:

Tony (19th January 2012)

36. Link to Post #19
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by tgops (here)
    I am an ardent follower of Swami Vivekananda....whenever I meditate I try to picture him in front of my eyes...and along with him Mother Kali...trust me it works...:D
    Dear tgops
    I agree with you! Bhakti yoga - devotion - is a key element in practice.

Tony

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony For This Post:

gs_powered (20th January 2012)

38. Link to Post #20
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hi Pineal,

Advice to your beleive in parastic gods and false gods? Do you beleive the operate from the fourth dimension into the 3rd? As this is affecting my life right now, what is the point in assessing the 8th dimension if its not going to help my circumstances? Right now NWO is happening in my country, its affecting me. The 'Sick/Disabled' are having their welfare rights took away, & gving them nothing to live off. If i dont win my appeal, i will be seriously affected by this, in fact im having suicidal thoughts brought about by these negative entities, they are working through my GPS & The Decision Makers & The Appeals/Tribunals boards????

What advice for my 'Now' ? x

¤=[Post Update]=¤

P.S Sorry for my typing im having a very bad day, due to the nature of my illness which is neurogical.parastic organic in nature, they attack my thoughts thereby stopping me to spell correctly i do and can spell perfectly so please read between the lines sometimes when i type.

Above i meant to say Can you give me advice in your beleif of parastic gods and false gods? x

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast