+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big Oil Bets It All...And Loses?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,102 times in 20,640 posts

Default Big Oil Bets It All...And Loses?

Let's hope there is substance to this apparent victory...

From NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council)

Quote Big Oil Bets It All...And Loses! White House

Today, President Obama changed the rules of the game: he stood up to Big Oil’s bullying and rejected the massively destructive Keystone XL tar sands pipeline.

Let’s face it: Big Oil is used to getting its way. But not any more.

President Obama has just rejected a permit for the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline -- a project that promised riches for the oil giants and an environmental disaster for the rest of us.

His decision represents a victory of historic proportions for NRDC and hundreds of thousands of committed activists like you who have waged an uphill, years-long fight against one of the most nightmarish fossil fuel projects of our time.

But get ready to keep the pressure on the Obama Administration -- because Big Oil is going to fight back hard and fast.

Why? Because this was a prime-time fight. The oil giants made sure of that.

First, they had their Congressional boosters put the President to an election-year test by forcing him to decide the pipeline’s fate within 60 days. Then, the oil lobby itself rolled out its biggest PR guns to get the job done.

The head of the American Petroleum Institute sent the White House a very public and blatant warning: Approve the Keystone XL or face "huge political consequences."

Big Oil put all its political capital on the line -- and a ton of money, too -- AND LOST!

They lost because millions of Americans -- including you -- stood up and said, We’re done with fossil fuel schemes that destroy our land, poison our water and wreak havoc with our climate so that oil companies can make out like bandits.

And because Big Oil lost, this is not the end of the fight. This is the beginning of the real battle for America’s energy future.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

aranuk (19th January 2012), Art (19th January 2012), Carmody (19th January 2012), crosby (19th January 2012), Dawn (19th January 2012), fifi (19th January 2012), jackovesk (19th January 2012), modwiz (19th January 2012), mysticalmary (19th January 2012), sandy (19th January 2012), Sebastion (19th January 2012), ulli (19th January 2012), write4change (19th January 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Big Oil Bets It All...And Loses?

YAY. Sounds good to me.
    Hi, I will look you directly in your eyes and tell you wholeheartedly that I love you.

Will you run, or reciprocate?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeBron For This Post:

jackovesk (19th January 2012), sandy (19th January 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,441 times in 21,491 posts

The proposed Keystone XL pipeline:
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

crosby (19th January 2012), Dawn (19th January 2012), jackovesk (19th January 2012), sandy (19th January 2012), wolf_rt (19th January 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    The proposed Keystone XL pipeline:
    looks like a sound economic move of a country looking to export oil........
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

8. Link to Post #5
    Australia Avalon Member wolf_rt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 times in 418 posts

Except nobody needs there oil....

seems like Obamas puppet masters, may have decided against destroying the whole world out of pique.... here's hoping anyway.

9. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 times in 699 posts

"Today, President Obama changed the rules of the game: he stood up to Big Oil’s bullying and rejected the massively destructive Keystone XL tar sands pipeline."

(This is not standing up to anything. Big oil won. Oil won. The tar sands won. Canada won. Alberta won. The keystone pipeline will be built. Maybe not today or tomorrow but after the election positively.
    The usa only postponed this pipeline until after the election. Please read my opinion below.)

Hello Everyone: I'm always having to smile at a great catch 22.
    On one hand the usa needs oil and cheap oil at that for the cars, trucks, trains, ships, planes and everything else that runs on fuel.
    On the other hand there's lots of people thinking that we are going to free energy tomorrow.
    The problem being is does the usa get cheap oil from the middle east that has basically been the cause of alot of wars or do you get cheap oil from a neighbor that just happens to have enough for well over 300 years?
    With the problem of not wanting to touch the untapped reserves in the usa the us is forced to take door number one or door number 2.
    Door number one usually and in the past and present has caused major wars.
    Door number 2 is a few pipelines. There are minor risks but there are always risks when you are transporting millions of gallons of anything everyday. Pipelines have been inherantly safe over the past decades. There has been a few ruptures but for how much product is moved they are very minimal.
    I suggest if the usa wants to bring the debt down door number 2 is the answer unless free energy is here and all of us don't know we can go down to home depot and get a unit to plug into our electrical outlet to keep us warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
    There is one other option. Let's say door number 3. In nevada, utah and idaho there is a massive untapped reserve something similar to the tar sands in canada that could keep the usa completely self sufficient in oil. Unfortunately door number 3 has a lock on the door with a sign that says. DO NOT ENTER.
    We're back to the age old problem. Have wars for cheap oil or have pipelines for cheap oil. See how most people have never thought out this predicament.
    If people are willing to stop driving there cars. Stop heating and cooling their homes then there is no problem. But if people want all the conveniences of turning on the heat or turning on the air conditioner then cheap oil is needed and millions of barrels are needed each day to make that happen whether you like oil or not.
    Personally I like to keep warm in the winter and cool in the summer. My bet is on the pipelines since I don't exactly like to be shot at in the name of driving my car or heating my home.
    May the force be with all of us and keep all of us warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
    It's time to realize that there is only these 4 ways and only 2 are available. Which will you take?
    chancy

10. Link to Post #7
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hello Everyone:
    Here's just one map that shows all the pipelines already transversing the continent.
    It's way too late to shut the system off unless people want to get cold in the winter and really hot in the summer.
    The map is almost at the bottom for reference to pipelines.
    chancy
    Enjoy the link: click on the map to enlarge
    http://www.theodora.com/pipeline/uni...pipelines.html

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Here is the link that works. my apologies

http://www.theodora.com/pipelines/un...pipelines.html

chancy

11. Link to Post #8
    Australia Avalon Member wolf_rt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 times in 418 posts

The American 'reserve' oil storages are overflowing capacity.. with about 720 MILLION barrels of oil on hand for an 'emergency' go figure....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolf_rt For This Post:

chancy (19th January 2012), modwiz (19th January 2012)

13. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by wolf_rt (here)
    The American 'reserve' oil storages are overflowing capacity.. with about 720 MILLION barrels of oil on hand for an 'emergency' go figure....
    Hello Everyone: Yes, it's election year and everything is in order.
    There's excess oil to appease the electorate and soon the price of gas will go down as every other election year in my life time. We all get the benefit of a little bribe ( cheaper gas )
    before voting.
    Wait until the election is over and the little bribe (cheaper gas) is taken out of the equation. The excess oil just might not be as large then.
    chancy

14. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 times in 472 posts

The proposed plan was shelfed for the time being cause the deadline was such that a proper environmental study couldn't be done in time.
    The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
    -- Maureen Dowd --

15. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 times in 516 posts

Truth and Oil will always make their way to the service. - Spanish proverb
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

16. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member ceetee9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,540 times in 740 posts

I wouldn’t get my hopes up onawah. IMO, Obama just kicked the can down the road in an election year in hopes of capturing some of those “green” votes. Even if he should win the election, you can be sure the Keystone XL Pipeline project will go through in 2013. Don’t forget his excuse for rejecting it was that he needed to see more studies. Yeah, that’s it. Let’s waste some more taxpayer’s money before we approve what we’re going to approve anyway.

And if the environmentalists were truly serious about promoting clean energy and environment they would be pushing for truly clean, sustainable and green energy resources; like LENR, ZPE and electro-gravitics. The environmentalists are always so quick to tout the benefits of solar, wind, and electric cars, for example, but never have much to say about the environmental pollution those technologies yield; like the massive land resources solar panels and wind turbines require, or how they impact the wildlife and degrade the beauty of their surroundings, or the pollution caused by millions of used-up batteries, or the natural resources consumed to create and maintain those technologies.

I also find it interesting that the Chairman of the NRDC is also the Vice Chairman of AECOM--a company with ties to big oil--and that the NRDC was founded by law students and attorneys (one might wonder whether their primary goal was to help the environmental movement or make a ton of money by jumping on that bandwagon).
    Last edited by ceetee9; 19th January 2012 at 20:06.

17. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 times in 472 posts

Yeah it will most likely go threw after the election. Otherwise Canada will go west with it and sell it to China.
    The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
    -- Maureen Dowd --

18. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,102 times in 20,640 posts

If it's only a postponement, that still means there is more time for better solutions to surface.
    Free energy is going to be a reality someday, we just don't know when.
    Personally, I would prefer to believe it's around the corner, and so this could be more than just a temporary reprieve, though I also realize it's unlikely.
    But we choose what reality we're going to feed.

19. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,109 times in 8,176 posts

err...have you guys heard anything about the biggest oil rig in the world that's being set up right now to drill deep under the sea near Alaska and make massive amounts of 'American' oil available just as the Saudi center of operations hits the fan next year?

This refusal that Obama has come up with, sounds like a political panto' to me.

Look behind you !
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

+ Reply to Thread