+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Duncan O'Finioan's Survival Series

1. Link to Post #1
    Germany Avalon Member christian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,191 times in 2,965 posts

Default Duncan O'Finioan's Survival Series

PART I : Conditioning, Grab'n'Go Pack, Self Defense, Reading/Learning Material

Physical Conditioning and Training

Now please understand. Are we telling you that you must push yourself like a pro athlete? No, but everyone does need to work on getting in shape. Not only that, but if you do this now, think of how much better you will feel about yourself when you are fit and in shape!

These are my rules of thumb. If you want to go beyond any of this by all means, do! I would suggest that everyone be able to do a hard walk for three miles with a 30 lb pack. That’s hard for most people, I know. So, you start slow. Walk a little more each day until you build up to it.Take a backpack and go to the grocery store so you don’t feel silly lugging 30 pounds of something around your neighborhood if you want.

The more you can incorporate your training into your everyday life, the more likely you are to actually do it.

Remember, you are not running a marathon here. You are training to get the hell away! Whether it be a natural disaster or an attack on your city. Why not run, you ask? ‘Cause you will burn out in a mile or less!

When, not if, but when, an event occurs to necessitate you “bugging out”, fear and adrenaline can push you beyond your natural limits but only for a short time. Then comes the burn out. Train yourself to do the three miles more than once a day if you are able.

Walking vs. Running

It is better to be able to do a hard walk and get miles away then to run, burn out and get nowhere. So start walking! Run if you can. Running will get you in shape much faster but not all of us can run. SO WALK!

Now, that 30 lb pack (no, it doesn’t have to be exactly 30 lbs): Everyone is going to load it differently. Here is what I suggest:
    • Protein bars! Lot’s of them. And check what’s in them. Many so-called protein bars are basically candy bars.
    • Water! Preferably in a container that will not leach plastic and toxins into your water.
    • Extra socks (and change them often to avoid blisters). The more you walk, the faster you will wear out socks. If you get blisters or hurt your feet, you will have just lost possibly your only form of transportation. So … extra socks good!
    • A compass and map of the area where you live.
    • Flashlight and extra batteries
    • A good, small first aid kit.
    • Add your personals (ladies, you know what I mean). Haha, this is Miranda here. Yes, the tricky subject of female unmentionables, i.e. tampons and/or feminine pads. One thing to mention — those of us who use the cardboard applicators beware that they can unravel and get ruined if they get wet or even damp sometimes.
    • Plus what you need. Other good items include rags (they have multitudinous uses), a couple of bags for additional storage/garbage/or a plastic bag/tarp to get you water by collecting condensation.

Just don’t overload it.Do not be a pack rat. If you can’t carry your load, then you won’t get very far.

Being Able to Defend Yourself

OK….COMBAT…fighting…defending yourself. Easier said than done. I could write or talk about this for hours. But let’s squeeze it down. If you have had martial arts training in the past….START DOING IT AGAIN! If you haven’t, START LEARNING!

Now, here is where it is going to get tricky. There are very few good schools out there right now. Most have gone the way of buying your belts, (ok, I don’t want to get started on that..LOL) Or MMA (mixed martial arts).

I have nothing against MMA. It’s a good sport. But, remember, it’s a sport. When you are fighting for your life or the lives of family or others, telling someone to “tap out” ain’t in the script! Also, these places that teach “self defense” don’t work either.

Basically, Back to Basics

Here is what you need to learn. BASICS! Then more basics!
    • Punches
    • Hand strikes
    • Low to medium kicks. High kicks don’t work so well in a real life and death encounter. Looks good in movies, but they don’t work.
    • Basic throws. Not Aikido, takes toooooo much training to become effective in it. Believe me, I know LOL.

Shop around and find a good teacher that fits these needs. YOUR needs. Not their wallets. If you can, find a school that teaches weapons. Knives and sticks preferably. They will be your new bests friends when the time comes.

Train in Archery. A good bow shooter can be VERY effective.

Reading Material

Also, find an old Boy Scout manual. One of the old ones, not the new ones that worries about being politically correct. Don’t just read it, LEARN IT! Practice putting it into practice.

There are other good books out there that are good resources as well, and you don’t have to be a hardened survivalist to read them or utilize them. Another good book to have on hand is Tom Brown’s books. He has books on survival for nature, urban survival, and even a book for children.

If you haven’t heard the term “prepper”, do a search. A prepper is someone who is prepped for survival. There are loads of internet communities and message boards out there where you can get ideas and learn things. One of them is the American Preppers Network.

It’s All In Your Head

I know we keep saying this, but it’s important — survival is a state of mind. The more confident you are about yours, the better you will feel about yourself and your safety, and things looming ahead won’t seem quite so scary.

Many people who know a thing or two about survival will forget everything they ever learned when a disaster happens. Don’t be like them. If you can think you’ll survive, you will.

http://duncanofinioan.wordpress.com/...mbat-training/

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to christian For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (23rd January 2012), albativo (19th January 2012), Anchor (19th January 2012), AuCo (14th March 2012), CdnSirian (2nd June 2012), Cidersomerset (21st January 2012), Conaire (2nd June 2012), crosby (19th January 2012), dan33 (14th March 2012), Debra (21st March 2012), eileenrose (21st February 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (19th January 2012), king anthony (21st February 2012), Lost Soul (21st January 2012), Maia Gabrial (19th January 2012), PHARAOH (21st January 2012), Positive Vibe Merchant (20th January 2012), seko (25th January 2012), Star Tsar (19th January 2012), sunflower (21st January 2012), taizen (21st January 2012), Turcurulin (12th March 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,799 times in 2,657 posts

Default Re: Duncan O'Finioan's Survival Series

thanks chiquetet, this is great information. be self reliant!
    regards, corson

4. The Following User Says Thank You to crosby For This Post:

Cidersomerset (21st January 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 times in 687 posts

Concur about the older scout manual. Tom Brown's outdoor survival manual is even better.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lost Soul For This Post:

Cidersomerset (21st January 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

this is really good and i already applied it to my life when will the next part be out?
    nothing ever changes unless you make it change

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by im awake (here)
    when will the next part be out?
    Check Duncan's blog and copy the next part here then, if you want
    http://duncanofinioan.wordpress.com/

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Survival Training Seminars

We are looking to schedule three survival training seminars starting late spring or early summer of this year. Our tentative plan is to hold three separate three day seminars: One on the East coast, one in the Central U.S., and one on the West Coast, with the first one being on the East coast.

What we need in order to make this happen is at least 20 people per seminar to commit. We have tried to do this in the past, and though a lot of people have written us asking for this, we haven’t been able to get enough people.

This is the last time that we are going to try and do this. There is a lot of work that goes into planning something like this, and we really want to make it happen but only if enough people are interested.

These seminars will not be held in the wilderness. We want to make them as accessible to all different levels of ability as possible. We will also try to keep them as affordable as possible.

If you are interested in training with Duncan, please contact us.

We look forward to hearing from you!

http://duncanofinioan.wordpress.com/...ning-seminars/

10. Link to Post #7
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,321 times in 902 posts

"What is in head and in hand is all that is needed"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to king anthony For This Post:

christian (14th March 2012)

12. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by king anthony (here)
    "What is in head and in hand is all that is needed"
    For the sake of the alliteration I wanna add "heart"
    Registration now open for survival training

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania – May 4th , 5th, and 6th, 2012

Click here for more information

Come spend a few days with Duncan O’Finioan (and friends) and get ready to learn how to survive in any situation. This training is open to people of all physical levels and abilities.

In addition to the training, there will be limited time for Duncan to do healing work on people.

After registration, you will be contacted by us via e-mail with details and instructions regarding logistics and so forth for the training.

See you there!
    Information regarding hotels and accommodation to come shortly.

Register for Survival Training
    Contact us
    http://duncanofinioan.wordpress.com/...ioan-now-open/
    I'd like to go there, but at that time I'll be taking my grandma out to a folk music event, no kidding. Maybe I'll make it to one of the other two seminars. I always wanted to visit the US anyways and I find $350 for a 3 day seminar to be very handsome, I very much appreciate Duncan's modesty there. Odd, that he had problems getting 20 people together to attend a seminar of his in the past. Maybe people do judge by the price tag and think if it costs nothing, it's worth nothing. Like in the case of this famous violin player in the Washington subway.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to christian For This Post:

king anthony (14th March 2012)

14. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Upcoming Seminar Locations

Sacramento, California, June 22, 23, and 24, 2012
    Tulsa, Oaklahoma, July 13, 14, ans 15, 2012

more infos

+ Reply to Thread