+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solar storm to bombard Earth on Tuesday - largest solar outburst in six years

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,422 times in 3,394 posts

Default Solar storm to bombard Earth on Tuesday - largest solar outburst in six years

http://rt.com/news/solar-storm-protonic-event-551/

"The largest solar radiation outburst in six years is on its way to Earth and will hit our planet with high-energy atomic particles at around 2 pm GMT,
    scientists say, causing possible malfunction of communication satellites and power grids.

­The major impact will occur in the North Pole area: routes of some near North Pole flights have been changed.

The functioning of the ISS will not be affected. Taking into consideration the prognosis for the solar storm,
    the ISS crew will not even have to take additional radiation security measures.

Massive ejections of plasma, or coronal mass, from the Sun have often resulted in communication and other satellites,
    as well as ground communications facilities failing. They can cause magnetic storms but bring no evident harm to the health of the planet’s population.

The first solar storm this year was registered on January 19 by NASA’s extra-magnetospheric satellites at the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory SOHO,
    Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory STEREO, and Advanced Composition Explorer ACE. Occurring after two storm-free months, that storm was ranked a relatively weak grade 5.

The solar tempest heading towards us now is very different. The last time a storm of such force happened was five years ago, in May 2005.

“For 24-25 January, we expect a magnetic storm that with a high probability can be attributed to a powerful class,”
    says the head of Russia’s Institute of Terrestrial Magnetism, Ionosphere and Radio Wave Propagation Sergey Gaydash.

Gaydash says the new solar outburst was accompanied by a so-called ‘protonic event’ – a sharp increase in a high-energy proton stream
    with speeds of up to 4 million kilometers per hour. Dangerous levels of 10-50 MeV (megaelectronvolt) protons have already been exceeded,
    while the levels of 100 MeV protons – the most dangerous for satellites and electronic equipment – has not passed the critical threshold so far."
    Last edited by astrid; 24th January 2012 at 13:15.
    The greatest privilege of a human life is to become a
    midwife to the awakening of the Soul in another person.”
    ~ Plato

2. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to astrid For This Post:

1inMany (25th January 2012), albativo (24th January 2012), aquamarine (24th January 2012), Black Panther (24th January 2012), Calz (24th January 2012), crosby (24th January 2012), dan33 (24th January 2012), ghostrider (24th January 2012), gs_powered (24th January 2012), Hervé (25th January 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (24th January 2012), kersley (25th January 2012), Kristo (24th January 2012), ljwheat (24th January 2012), mab777 (24th January 2012), Mark (24th January 2012), Midnight Rambler (24th January 2012), Mike Gorman (24th January 2012), modwiz (24th January 2012), Molly (25th January 2012), MorningSong (24th January 2012), ponda (24th January 2012), Realeyes (24th January 2012), silverchimes (25th January 2012), Snowbird (24th January 2012), spiritguide (24th January 2012), TelosianEmbrace (24th January 2012), Watching from Cyprus (24th January 2012), Woody (24th January 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Solar storm to bombard Earth on Tuesday - largest solar outburst in six years

I have NASA's 3D Sun App on my iPhone which keeps sending me updates / warnings of CMEs & Solar Flares. They said that this one heading for us is almost an X Class flare (M9). I don't think that we will have to wait very long before an X Class is unleashed in our direction.

Get ready to stock up on food, water and other emergency supplies if there is an X7 or above flare. The largest ever recorded was an X28 on November 4th 2003 (Equivalent to a Magnitude 25 Earthquake on the Richter Scale!). Luckily for us it just missed the Earth.

Mobius
    Last edited by Möbius; 24th January 2012 at 13:01. Reason: Spelling Mistake
    "A fool can learn from his own experiences; the wise learn from the experience of others." - Democritus, 460-370 B.C.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Möbius For This Post:

1inMany (25th January 2012), applejax (25th January 2012), astrid (24th January 2012), Calz (24th January 2012), crosby (24th January 2012), Davy (24th January 2012), ghostrider (24th January 2012), gooty64 (24th January 2012), gs_powered (24th January 2012), Kristo (24th January 2012), ljwheat (24th January 2012), ponda (24th January 2012), silverchimes (25th January 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Default Re: Solar storm to bombard Earth on Tuesday - largest solar outburst in six years

Bumping this to make sure it's seen
    ~ Plato

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to astrid For This Post:

1inMany (25th January 2012), crosby (24th January 2012), Ontarioguy (25th January 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

Here's the Proton Flux graph:

Wish I knew what the critical threshold for the >100 MeV was (or the others as well)....never the less they are waaaaay higher than normal.

PS: This ties in with this thread on Proton Flux events:

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...eather-Event--

Oh!

The CME is on it's way. A geomagnetic sudden impulse was observed around 15:04 UTC today... I'm watching for signs of the solar storm here:

http://www2.nict.go.jp/y/y223/simulation/realtime/

For the moment, temperature, density and velocity is mostly dead-lined...the calm before the storm.
    Last edited by MorningSong; 24th January 2012 at 17:42.
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

1inMany (25th January 2012), crosby (24th January 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (24th January 2012), ponda (24th January 2012), TelosianEmbrace (24th January 2012), Zillah (24th January 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Great Britain Avalon Member seantimberwolf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 times in 332 posts

Am i correct in thinking this has hit now with no real damage to speak off?
    Please correct me if im wrong!
    "And if one man could stand tall, There would be hope for us all, Somewhere in the spirit of man!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to seantimberwolf For This Post:

modwiz (24th January 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

No, it isn't over yet..... it's just barely begun!

This is what's coming at us:

Last edited by MorningSong; 24th January 2012 at 17:45.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

1inMany (25th January 2012), astrid (24th January 2012), crosby (24th January 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (24th January 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by seantimberwolf (here)
    Am i correct in thinking this has hit now with no real damage to speak off?
    Please correct me if im wrong!
    It means that all of the popcorn that is stored will pop.

Remember the 'Popcorn' scene from the movie 'Real Genius'?

Free popcorn for everyone!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anklebiter For This Post:

astrid (24th January 2012), Molly (25th January 2012), MorningSong (24th January 2012), TelosianEmbrace (24th January 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by MorningSong (here)

Thank you MorningSong.
    So what is the actual projected damage/outcome of this storm.
    Excuse my ignorence but i have yet to find any two pieces of information on this that match it all seems different.
    Sean
    "And if one man could stand tall, There would be hope for us all, Somewhere in the spirit of man!"

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seantimberwolf For This Post:

1inMany (25th January 2012), astrid (24th January 2012)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

I saw the auroras in 2005 (?) that reached Italy after that X-flare.... don't know what to expect with this...it actually loooks so much bigger even though classified as an M-flare.

I've been watching this site below...the aurora-zone has more than doubled and gone from burnt yellow to almost orange-red in the past 2 hours!

http://hfradio.org/aurora_globe.html

Last edited by MorningSong; 24th January 2012 at 18:41.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

astrid (24th January 2012), crosby (24th January 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (24th January 2012)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Yeah i herd on the MSM this morning it was like a final closing comment on the news about the northern lights will be visible to places further south, ha ha but no reason as too why, or where.
    Obviously being into the alternative media i looked it up right away to find it was a CME, but i was astounded that they would not even hint at its potential damage and threat.
    Thats the MSM i guess

Sean

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seantimberwolf For This Post:

astrid (24th January 2012), crosby (24th January 2012)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

The K-index has just shot up:

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

astrid (24th January 2012), crosby (24th January 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (24th January 2012)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

Quote Posted by seantimberwolf (here)
    Quote Posted by MorningSong (here)

Thank you MorningSong.
    So what is the actual projected damage/outcome of this storm.
    Excuse my ignorence but i have yet to find any two pieces of information on this that match it all seems different.
    Sean
    I made this pic my wallpaper on my laptop. way kewl....
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

astrid (24th January 2012), crosby (24th January 2012), MorningSong (24th January 2012)

25. Link to Post #13
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 times in 267 posts

*bump* *bump* *bump*

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zillah For This Post:

astrid (24th January 2012), crosby (24th January 2012), MorningSong (24th January 2012), Ontarioguy (25th January 2012)

27. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Well, should I wrap up all my popcorn in aluminum foil, just in case?

So far, my best indicator of strange and harmful phenomenon are silent and calm, so there's nothing to fear. My cats are sleeping peacefully outside the window on the porch.

If they jump up and hide under the house, then, I'll just wrap myself in aluminum foil with some air holes......... after I smear butter and salt all me over first, of course.

Cheers,
    AT

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aetheric Traveler For This Post:

1inMany (25th January 2012), astrid (24th January 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (24th January 2012), MorningSong (24th January 2012), TelosianEmbrace (24th January 2012)

29. Link to Post #15
    Avalon Member Ineffable Hitchhiker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,854 times in 495 posts

The "snow" on the LASCO C2/LASCO C3 explained.

Solar Proton Flux

Quote The sun is a big mass of energy. The sun produces high energy protons, and the solar wind carries these protons towards our planet. However during solar flare activity, energetic protons are blown violently outwards.. sometimes towards earth. Energetic protons can reach Earth within 30 minutes of a major flare's peak. During such an event (big ones are also known as Solar Proton Events), Earth is showered with highly energetic solar particles (primarily protons) released from the flare site. When these protons arrive at Earth and enter the atmosphere over the polar regions, much enhanced ionization is produced at altitudes below 100 km. Ionization at these low altitudes is particularly effective in absorbing HF radio signals and can render HF communications impossible throughout the polar regions. This effect is called Radio Blackouts. This type of event is also known as a Polar Cap Absorption Event or PCA.
    Source

An example of Protons hitting the observatory's onboard camera from yesterdays spaceweather. com. article.

The heart knows a hundred thousand ways to speak.
    ~ rumi

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ineffable Hitchhiker For This Post:

crosby (24th January 2012), MorningSong (24th January 2012)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,180 times in 550 posts

Quote The solar tempest heading towards us now is very different. The last time a storm of such force happened was five years ago, in May 2005.
    I may have misunderstood the expected (?) effects - not that I personally was expecting any - but I don't remember anything memorable of the kind happening in May 2005; and it is all very quiet and smoothly running now.

Not being unpleasant - only reporting. :-)
    ET SI OMNES, EGO NON

32. The Following User Says Thank You to NeverMind For This Post:

witchy1 (25th January 2012)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Yes, I agree with you , NeverMind....all is still very quiet.... there was only a little burp of activity so far..... but this sun "fluff" will get here...probably during the next 6 hours....

I did see the auroras in 2005.... I remember as Mars was also in the headlines at the time as being very close to Earth.... was looking at that when the red and green banshees showed up.... was quite incredible! And, no, I don't remember if it had any big effect on the Earth/processes at the time.... I was interested in other things at the time.

So this will probably blow over without having any great "effects" on anyone except for us bozos who like to watch it transpire. This is not the "big" one, no doubt.... it's just a little flirt.
    Last edited by MorningSong; 24th January 2012 at 21:55.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

astrid (24th January 2012), NeverMind (25th January 2012), Ontarioguy (25th January 2012)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Thank you all for keeping this bumping along
    I can't wait to see the light show from this one
    It's going to be quite something

special thanks to morning song and IH for adding in the
    tech details!!
    Last edited by astrid; 24th January 2012 at 21:56.
    ~ Plato

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to astrid For This Post:

1inMany (25th January 2012), crosby (24th January 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (24th January 2012), MorningSong (24th January 2012), Ontarioguy (25th January 2012)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Kp-index just went to red.... >6 Kp expected... G1 storm in progress.... G2 expected by 01:00 UTC

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/arch...ent_month.html

S3 radiation storm still in progress

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/drap/index.html

Quote Solar-terrestrial indices for 24 January follow.
    Solar flux 136 and estimated planetary A-index 17.
    The estimated planetary K-index at 2100 UTC on 24 January was 5.

Space weather for the past 24 hours has been strong.
    Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level occurred.
    Solar radiation storms reaching the S3 level occurred.

Space weather for the next 24 hours is predicted to be strong.
    Geomagnetic storms reaching the G2 level are expected.
    Solar radiation storms reaching the S3 level are expected.
    Radio blackouts reaching the R1 level are likely.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

crosby (24th January 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (24th January 2012)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

Some pictures of Scotland's and unusually Parts of England's evening skys this last couple of nights. enjoy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	article-0-116B3E66000005DC-472_964x628.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	13021 Name:  northern_lights.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  15.5 KB

Name:  144-The-midnight-phoenix-rises-Biggest-solar-storms-for.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  2.0 KB Click image for larger version

Name:	article-0-116A348F000005DC-557_964x478.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	13023

Click image for larger version

Name:	article-2090611-116A34D4000005DC-491_964x563.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	13024

I was only allowed to upload 5 pics, many more to see, All pictures were found here.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=utf...w=1201&bih=610
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

40. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

astrid (25th January 2012), crosby (24th January 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (24th January 2012), Molly (25th January 2012), MorningSong (24th January 2012), Ontarioguy (25th January 2012), Sesan (25th January 2012), Star Tsar (25th January 2012), TelosianEmbrace (24th January 2012), Wind (25th January 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast