+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changes to Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service...

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Exclamation Changes to Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service...

I'm sure i'm not the only one noticing this:

http://www.google.com/policies/

this is a direct confirmation of "the algorithmic" profiling of our digital life...

this is following the previous thread here not a long time ago:

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...gle#post231201

i'm not liking it one bit...

Quote Tailored for you

If you’re signed into Google, we can do things like suggest search queries – or tailor your search results – based on the interests you’ve expressed in Google+, Gmail, and YouTube. We’ll better understand which version of Pink or Jaguar you’re searching for and get you those results faster.
    why would i want "the algorithm" to scan my e-mail, where i'm cracking a joke about i.e. north korea, to filter my next search result through google search engine as:

cheap trips to south korea...south korean kimchi...fling date with a south korean lady (or man) etc etc...

how can "the algorithm" extract info, able to understand sarcasm, irony etc...

does it occur to these "geniuses" that when i search the web for anything, i might not want any results of previous experiences with smth...hence the new search...keep giving me same stuff that "the algorithm" thinks i'm interested in, by sneaking up on my e-mails and previous searches, and more and more of the same, and i'll never understand there's more out there of different...

no matter how smart "the algorithm" is, it will miserably fail to understand to offer me of what i don't know, since it doesn't understand it, since i never searched for it previously !!!

are this people brain-dead, or are we so sheepishly????
    Last edited by taurad; 28th January 2012 at 01:33.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to taurad For This Post:

Kerrigan (28th January 2012), Mad Hatter (28th January 2012), Magnus (28th January 2012), sandy (1st February 2012), ViralSpiral (27th January 2012), write4change (1st February 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 times in 324 posts

Default Re: Changes to Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service...

Quote Posted by taurad (here)

I'm sure i'm not the only one noticing this:

http://www.google.com/policies/

this is a direct confirmation of "the algorithmic" profiling of our digital life...

this is following the previous thread here not a long time ago:

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...gle#post231201

i'm not liking it one bit...

Quote Tailored for you
    You are quite right.

At some point about a year or so ago I began using Gmail for email. And at some point I was looking for some particular shades of embroidery thread. I had gone to Michael's a few times, and they never had it, and they never seemed to restock the colors that they were missing.

At some point, I wrote an Email to Michael's and complained. By the way, it did make a difference. The next time I went to Michael's, all the colors had been restocked and there was a new staff person there to make sure.... It was quite startling.

But what was startling in an unpleasant way was I started getting all these pop-up ads from Michael's. Where did that come from, if not from Google?

I use Scroogle nowadays whenever I can. www.scroogle.org.

ETM
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 1st February 2012 at 17:30. Reason: fix quoting

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to etm567 For This Post:

Kerrigan (28th January 2012), Mad Hatter (28th January 2012), taurad (28th January 2012), ViralSpiral (27th January 2012), write4change (1st February 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,613 times in 2,179 posts

I actually saw the notice about their policy changes on You-Tube today, and waddled around a little here: Your data on Google

hmmmmmm........
    .... be gentle with your anger. Sixto Rodriguez, Cape Town 20.02.2013

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViralSpiral For This Post:

Kerrigan (28th January 2012), Mad Hatter (28th January 2012), taurad (28th January 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Ilie Pandia

I've read those policies today.

Here is the juicy part:

--------------
    Information we share

We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances apply:

For external processing

We provide personal information to our affiliates or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for us, based on our instructions and in compliance with our Privacy Policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.

For legal reasons

We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
    • meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
    • enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
    • detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
    • protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.

--------------

Draw you own conclusions, but keep in mind recent laws that have been signed into existence

8. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Ilie Pandia For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (1st February 2012), bodhii71 (27th January 2012), cheez_2806 (1st February 2012), christian (28th January 2012), GCS1103 (28th January 2012), Hervé (1st February 2012), Kerrigan (28th January 2012), Kindred (28th January 2012), Mad Hatter (28th January 2012), modwiz (28th January 2012), risveglio (28th January 2012), sandy (28th January 2012), taurad (28th January 2012), Wind (29th January 2012), write4change (1st February 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,006 times in 700 posts

Quote Posted by Ilie Pandia (here)
    protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, our usersor the public as required or permitted by law.
    Juicy bits indeed, so Go ogle think they have a manadate to protect the rights of the public...!!?

What from I wonder, the potential for a member of the public to uncover the truth...?

10. Link to Post #6
    Netherlands Avalon Member Krullenjongen's Avatar
    Thanks

Uh by the way, why use Google when there is....

Scroogle!

http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

Scroogle is a "search engine" that ANONYMOUSLY feeds your query into the Google search engine and returns those back to you. Easy and anonymous.
    Last edited by Krullenjongen; 28th January 2012 at 12:14.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krullenjongen For This Post:

GaelVictor (1st February 2012), NeverMind (1st February 2012)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,933 times in 348 posts

Since Google introduced AdSense - contextual advertising - is no longer in search engine business. This company is in advertising business, the more ad is tailored to your search then chances are far greater that you will click = more money for Google. In the countries with low population like in Europe, Google often outsource service to its customers(site owners) to external companies and share collected data with them about Internet users behavior online.

When a journalist asked Ray Kroc(McDonald owner) about the burger business he said - "I'm not in the burger business, I'm in Real Estate business". Ray Kroc has the most best-located properties in the world, on the best intersections in any city above 100.000 residents.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rollo For This Post:

Mad Hatter (28th January 2012), NeverMind (1st February 2012), taurad (28th January 2012)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,613 times in 2,179 posts

Going Google Free - The Best Alternatives

Not sure of they are however, I am collecting data
    .... be gentle with your anger. Sixto Rodriguez, Cape Town 20.02.2013

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViralSpiral For This Post:

NeverMind (1st February 2012), sandy (1st February 2012)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Its in their use of doublespeak that they make these things so tedious and boring to read so that most people give up. But noo I shall prevail to the end...Im kinda half way there.

Hey anyone with a good alternative search engine? I don't wanna be addicted to google anymore

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Satkirn For This Post:

NeverMind (1st February 2012)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Just another vote here for Scroogle. http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm
    They also have a great sense of humour.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermite For This Post:

NeverMind (1st February 2012), Satkirn (1st February 2012)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

yeah I always used to use scroogle but somehow adopted google again when i changed my laptop Not anymore though it is back to scroogle for me

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 times in 499 posts

Quote Posted by Satkirn (here)
    Its in their use of doublespeak that they make these things so tedious and boring to read so that most people give up. But noo I shall prevail to the end...Im kinda half way there.

Hey anyone with a good alternative search engine? I don't wanna be addicted to google anymore
    Hi,
    There are hundreds if not thousands of different search engines better than google depending on what you are searching for. I use DuckDuckGo at the moment.

Here is a list of some of the search engine alternatives

A list of 10 Search Engines to Explore the Invisible Web

How to search the Deep Web / Invisible Web

So much info is out there & going unnoticed by folk because they don't know about or how to find the really juicy stuff.
    Inscription on The Washington Monument -

Fy iaith, fy ngwlad, fy nghenedl Cymru — Cymru am byth (My language, my land, my nation of Wales — Wales for ever)...

Dweud y gwir - Tell the truth

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bryn ap Gwilym For This Post:

NeverMind (1st February 2012), Satkirn (1st February 2012)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

I just tried using scroogle instead of google, and I recieved an error message stating that the google was blocking scroogle! Here's a copy of the text:
    'Forbidden
    so sorry...
    Google is temporarily blocking this Scroogle server.

Please wait ten minutes before trying again.

Yes, Scroogle is upset with Google.

1. Google handles 1 billion searches per day, while Scroogle handles 350,000 searches per day. This means that Scroogle is 0.035 percent of Google's load.

2. Google uses 900,000 servers, while Scroogle leases just six low-end dedicated servers.

3. Google has billions and billions of dollars in the bank, while Scroogle is a recognized public charity and survives on modest donations averaging $43 per day.

4. For more than seven years, Scroogle has always made serious efforts to detect and block any and all bots. Almost every Scroogle searcher is a live person clicking on a mouse. Yet Google treats Scroogle like a bot because they see the traffic from our six IP addresses as higher than normal. Searching Google with a bot is against Google's terms of service, but Scroogle users are not bots.

Is it "Terms of Service" for Google, or is it "Terms of Monopoly"?'

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ella For This Post:

NeverMind (1st February 2012)

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,180 times in 550 posts

Quote Posted by Bryn ap Gwilym (here)
    Quote Posted by Satkirn (here)

Hi,
    There are hundreds if not thousands of different search engines better than google depending on what you are searching for. I use DuckDuckGo at the moment.

Here is a list of some of the search engine alternatives

A list of 10 Search Engines to Explore the Invisible Web

How to search the Deep Web / Invisible Web

So much info is out there & going unnoticed by folk because they don't know about or how to find the really juicy stuff.

Posts such as this one- and the ones highlighting Scroogle - really should be much more highlighted than they are.
    They are very precious information for people (and there are many of those) who are not the best at finding alternative solutions themselves, and using alternative search machines is, after all, is the best way to actually beat Google.

I have been using mostly DogPile, but recently have switched to Scroogle.
    I will definitely have a look at other machines, too, although I am quite satisfied with Scroogle for the moment being.

(But I will go on performing at least some of my searches through GoodSearch.
    Call me "naive", but I like the charity angle. :-))
    ET SI OMNES, EGO NON

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeverMind For This Post:

Bryn ap Gwilym (2nd February 2012), Satkirn (1st February 2012)

27. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,486 times in 420 posts

I use startpage instead of scroogle nowadays... works fine for me.

+ Reply to Thread