+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Arctic climate change 'to spark domino effect'

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

Default Re: Arctic climate change 'to spark domino effect'

I take comfort in humans, dinosaurs, ice age, etc, no matter what mother earth lives on and on... we cannot control her, or stop her. she will do what she always does.. live on and outlast us all in the end.... she has her cycles, but she always lives on.
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Mark (4th February 2012), NancyV (3rd February 2012), TargeT (4th February 2012)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,484 times in 2,851 posts

Default Re: Arctic climate change 'to spark domino effect'

Quote Posted by Lazlo (here)
    Regarding the scientific view of cyclicality, the most popular explanation for the cause of ice ages is astronomical. In short, the conditions line up when the maximum obliquity of our orbit coincides with with the maximum tilt of our rotational axis. It's a bit more complicated than this, but that's the general idea. Where the problems arise is in applying that thought to timescales that are more in line with human perspectives, and then correlating inputs such as sunspot activity, cosmic rays, and consequently...cloud formation.
    I really like the tie-in with space weather.

Let me rephrase that for clarity. Climate models do not incorporate the largest known contributing factor for the Earth's climate.

It was this bit of information that led me to question the prevailing scientific wisdom regarding climate change.
    Interesting interpretation of the research and the models. I was not aware that climate models did not model climate. For those seeking more information, Wikipedia does a good job of introducing Global Climate Models. There is much more info out there, and models are models, therefore, imprecise, but they are still relatively complex.

Quote Posted by Rahkyt (here)
    What is different today is that we do not have the volcanic releases yet. But they are inevitable if the temperature continues to rise.
    Can you elaborate? Higher surface temperatures are tied to an increase in volcanic activity? Melting ice and redistribution of water leads to isostatic rebound of the crust?
    I was speaking thinking specifically of the Permian Extinction and what went on then. But yes, those factors do lead to increased crustal displacement and tectonic shifting. Seems like we're on the brink now of some major shifting as the ice melting from both poles, but particularly down in Antarctica, may be helping to increase the wobble of the planet. There is a theory about physical pole shift that is dependent upon melting polar regions and the catastrophic movement of the crust as balance is lost and Gaia seeks to regain her equilibrium.

Quote Posted by 13th Warrior (here)
    I wasn't thinking of any specific study but, this one will do for now:
    Good stuff. Thanks for the link, I get a big smile on my face when I read that stuff. LOL

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Lazlo (4th February 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2