+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Income Tax is Voluntary! (But they'll jail you anyway)

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,300 times in 5,193 posts

Default Income Tax is Voluntary! (But they'll jail you anyway)

FYI: by Gary Kinghorn (abridged by henrymakow.com)

"IRS taxation is a voluntary contract between consenting parties and cannot be compelled. Since we don't know this, they trick us into "consenting."

"Taxation by Misrepresentation", an E-book by John W. Benson, is by far the best explanation of our income tax system and the laws involved in compelling citizens to pay income tax.

All IRS processes and procedures are based on the revenue procedures employed by the king's revenue officials in the Exchequer (Treasury) in 1791, dressed up in modern garb.

A precedent-setting Supreme Court tax case in 1856 cited several English treatises as authorities on the ancient processes used by the king's Exchequer.

Essentially, the statute staple process is a voluntary contractual process used in merchant law and not common law. The result is that IRS taxation is a voluntary contractual process between consenting parties and cannot be compelled on an individual.

Much of the IRS code and procedures are designed to both conform to this fact, while insidiously hiding its significance from the populace, and doing everything in their power to intimidate tax payers to "volunteer" payment, even if at gunpoint.

In other words, if you are a 14th Amendment "citizen", you are a serf on the land, a liege to your lord, in this case the Federal Government.

The Federal Government, as it would to a serf, "owns" your labor and can rightfully take your income now (the compensation for your labor) as it deems reasonable according to the contractual benefits you "applied for" when you "volunteer" or "contract" yourself into this status.

Remember that under the Constitution, we have unalienable rights and are Citizens (cap "C") of the United States of America (the country, not the corporation).

How do you "volunteer" yourself to become a 14th Amendment citizen-serf, under the definition designed for freed slaves?

Well, by "voluntarily" submitting your IRS Form 1040, you annually assert that you are a 14th Amendment citizen (small "c"). The 13th amendment prohibits involuntary servitude, but does not prohibit "voluntary" servitude according to contract law.

Ergo, you have been had. This is less the Home of the Free and Land of the Brave, than the Home of Fools and the Land of Liars.

So, what do you do now?

John points out in very clear terms in his "Disclaimer" at the very opening of his book that this is a political battle. Do NOT stop filing the usual tax returns and paying the usual taxes that the IRS and the courts require.

This would be like going to a Mafia crime boss and telling him there's no law allowing him to extract his "security" payments. You will not come out better for the conversation. But realize that we have become a nation of thugs and corruption, and not laws, despite your education to the contrary. John pleads with his readers to unite to overturn the entire system and replace it with a fairer and more transparent tax system for all, rather than for a small number to try to win a few battles in courts that, in his view, are simply not going to allow any victories, truth and justice be damned."

source
    http://www.henrymakow.com/proof_that...eral_inco.html
    Last edited by ktlight; 4th February 2012 at 11:43.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ktlight For This Post:

albativo (4th February 2012), Atlas (21st April 2017), ceetee9 (12th September 2017), Eligos (4th February 2012), gaiagirl (24th August 2018), lake (4th February 2012), Maia Gabrial (4th February 2012), Michelle Marie (15th September 2017), Morbid (27th April 2017), Nasu (24th April 2017), Ria (4th February 2012), Russ1959 (5th February 2012), Siberia9 (4th February 2012), The Freedom Train (22nd April 2017), Turcurulin (5th February 2012), witchy1 (25th April 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,228 times in 1,379 posts

Default Re: Income Tax is Voluntary! (But they'll jail you anyway)

This relates to the USA but not UK though, right . . .?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

Star Tsar (9th February 2012), The Freedom Train (22nd April 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Heartsong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 times in 498 posts

Doesn't relate to the U.S. either. Taxes are not voluntary. Most taxes are collected at the time of payment of wages. It's called withholding. Money is "withheld" at a given percentage. Once a year a person voluntarily justifies the returning of the excess tax by preparing a "return" or tax form. It may be that the individual will owe even more tax after completing the tax form but in either case the government already has the bulk of the money.
    For those who are self employed and don't received wages (i.e. are not subject to withholding) there is quarterly estimated payments. Over the course of the year you pay what you estimate your annual tax to be and pay it on the quarter. Once a year you complete tax forms to either apply for your overpayment or to pay additional tax.

If there were a loophole in the system that ligitimately allowed for people to not pay taxes, they would have they would have filled it years ago. No, the tax system is not fairly applied to all people. But the tax people aren't stupid. If it's taxable, you owe it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heartsong For This Post:

airaspect (5th May 2017), The Freedom Train (22nd April 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

every word of this post is incorrect.........just bc the government will pull a gun on you and lock u in jail doesnt mean the irs or congress ever ratified the income tax or the 16th amendent in 1913. they didnt

Quote Posted by Heartsong (here)
    Doesn't relate to the U.S. either. Taxes are not voluntary. Most taxes are collected at the time of payment of wages. It's called withholding. Money is "withheld" at a given percentage. Once a year a person voluntarily justifies the returning of the excess tax by preparing a "return" or tax form. It may be that the individual will owe even more tax after completing the tax form but in either case the government already has the bulk of the money.
    For those who are self employed and don't received wages (i.e. are not subject to withholding) there is quarterly estimated payments. Over the course of the year you pay what you estimate your annual tax to be and pay it on the quarter. Once a year you complete tax forms to either apply for your overpayment or to pay additional tax.

If there were a loophole in the system that ligitimately allowed for people to not pay taxes, they would have they would have filled it years ago. No, the tax system is not fairly applied to all people. But the tax people aren't stupid. If it's taxable, you owe it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robinr1 For This Post:

Michelle Marie (15th September 2017), The Freedom Train (22nd April 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 times in 818 posts

Peter Schiff's father has been unfairly imprisoned for not paying his taxes. His arguments are legal & correct, but judges still side against him. See his website:
    www.paynoincometax.com/

or read about him:

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irwin_Schiff
    “There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.” -- Carl Jung

"To see the farm is to leave the farm."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mulder For This Post:

The Freedom Train (22nd April 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Here's a PDF of a book called 'How I Clobbered EVERY BUREAUCRATIC CASH-CONFISCATORY AGENCY KNOWN TO MAN
    ... a Spiritual Economics Book on $$$ and Remembering Who You Are" by: Mary Elizabeth: Croft

http://www.spiritualeconomicsnow.net...s/How_I_08.pdf

It is well worth reading.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ktlight For This Post:

Atlas (21st April 2017), gaiagirl (24th August 2018), Phoenix (6th February 2012), The Freedom Train (22nd April 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 times in 243 posts

Quote Posted by ktlight (here)
    Here's a PDF of a book called 'How I Clobbered EVERY BUREAUCRATIC CASH-CONFISCATORY AGENCY KNOWN TO MAN
    ... a Spiritual Economics Book on $$$ and Remembering Who You Are" by: Mary Elizabeth: Croft

This is AAAAMAZINNGGG! Thank you so much ktlight. Have you read this in full? What is your experience with putting into practice any of the concepts outlined within??

Your friend, phoenix

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member xbusymom's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 times in 396 posts

Quote Posted by ktlight (here)

yes but this is in canada or UK, not US. I havent heard of anyone in US getting anywhere close to being successful with thwarting the tax collectors... so far.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to xbusymom For This Post:

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Don't pay and you are volunteering for jail.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

airaspect (5th May 2017), The Freedom Train (22nd April 2017)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,286 times in 818 posts

If you think you will^^, so be it.

They depend on you giving them that sought of power.
    As for me, I don’t file at all. I don’t own a credit card or owe loans. They sent me letters years ago and I've send them one too.

Since then...
    I still live in the same location and have yet to be visited by them. Perhaps they know I will only go to jail as a corpse, they will have to kill me. I doubt they want that sought of publicity on their hands. Death will be more rewarding than living in some cell wishing to be back in the world amongst people who don't care about the reality they're creating.

Death is inevitable...so why should I be afraid to die for what I believe in.

Peace
    --
    Humans created so much wonder through their division, just imagine what they can do through Unity...

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peace of Mind For This Post:

Atlas (21st April 2017), ceetee9 (12th September 2017), drneglector (5th May 2017), ktlight (6th February 2012), Michelle Marie (15th September 2017), TargeT (6th February 2012), The Freedom Train (22nd April 2017)

20. Link to Post #11
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,656 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Peace of Mind (here)
    Death is inevitable...so why should I be afraid to die for what I believe in.

Peace
    why should you be afraid of anything, ever?

yes, taxes are technically voluntary in the US.. but since the POPULAR BEIEF is contrary to that... the reality is you'll get screwed if you don't pay them.

the source of this pain is poorly worded:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixteen...s_Constitution

many people have tried and failed in the US :-/
    Last edited by TargeT; 6th February 2012 at 20:35.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,286 times in 818 posts

This may be true for those that give them that power. In my case...I haven’t failed and don’t plan on it either…no matter what others make real in their paradigm.

Income tax is illegal, plain and simple. I never was one to succumb to injustices. If more people removed their fear we will all be better off. If they kill me because I stood up for what is right, my death will be an honorable one. I’m sure my next life will be a much more rewarding one simply because I choose to live it that way. We are all here to do specific jobs, learn and move on. We are not here to be slaves. Recognize this, live life this way and the universe will work with you. If you keep thinking of ways to empower these evil entities...they will use your thoughts (along with your emotional fear) and manifest that reality for you.

I'm not afraid of them, nor do I think about them in a threatening manner. I have no problem combating this corrupt system because it is FACT that our society has only prospered because of a few brave people were willing to stand up to the oppressors. If only we were all like this…just imagine that!

If you’re afraid to die than you are obviously afraid to live.

Peace
    --
    Humans created so much wonder through their division, just imagine what they can do through Unity...

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peace of Mind For This Post:

drneglector (5th May 2017), Michelle Marie (15th September 2017), The Freedom Train (22nd April 2017), Watching from Cyprus (24th April 2017)

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

As I understand it, the IRS needs your permission to demand payments from you and this they get once you have signed up for a social security card.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ktlight For This Post:

26. Link to Post #14
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 times in 243 posts

Quote Posted by Peace of Mind (here)
    This may be true for those that give them that power. In my case...I haven’t failed and don’t plan on it either…no matter what others make real in their paradigm.

Income tax is illegal, plain and simple. I never was one to succumb to injustices. If more people removed their fear we will all be better off. If they kill me because I stood up for what is right, my death will be an honorable one. I’m sure my next life will be a much more rewarding one simply because I choose to live it that way. We are all here to do specific jobs, learn and move on. We are not here to be slaves. Recognize this, live life this way and the universe will work with you. If you keep thinking of ways to empower these evil entities...they will use your thoughts (along with your emotional fear) and manifest that reality for you.

I'm not afraid of them, nor do I think about them in a threatening manner. I have no problem combating this corrupt system because it is FACT that our society has only prospered because of a few brave people were willing to stand up to the oppressors. If only we were all like this…just imagine that!

If you’re afraid to die than you are obviously afraid to live.

Peace
    Peace of Mind, thanks so much for talking about your experience. I want out too. Can you point me in the direction you took to learn what you know?

Phoenix

27. Link to Post #15
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,838 times in 5,080 posts

Quote Posted by gripreaper (here)
    Quote Posted by turiya (here)
    :
    Quote "There will be no trial, as I will come to your magistrate court for settlement and closure."
    There sure seems to be layers of this that we do not see, and as in all things quantum, the energy needs to shift before we see manifestation.

If Winston can stand in the private and the public, administer the public side for settlement and closure from within the beast, and retain his sovereignty, my hat goes off to him.

I am watching this one very closely, for it could be a new energetic opening for the rest of us.
    Winston Shrout Update... Trial Resumes today, Friday, April 21, 2017...

Man says he didn't pay taxes for 20 years
    but didn't mean to cheat

Winston Shrout , from one of his online YouTube videos. (YouTube)

By Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive
    on April 20, 2017 at 5:31 PM,
    updated April 20, 2017 at 7:02 PM
    Winston Shrout admitted in court Thursday that he hasn't paid taxes for nearly 20 years and created worthless documents that he sent to banks and the U.S. Treasury to relieve debts.

But the 69-year-old -- a Kentucky native, retired carpenter and prominent sovereign citizen who has gained a following across the country and abroad -- said he never intended to harm or defraud anyone.

Shrout took the witness stand in his own defense for nearly two hours at the end of a three-day trial on 13 counts of creating and issuing bogus financial documents and six counts of willful failure to file tax returns from 2009 through 2014.

Jurors deliberated about two and a half hours in the afternoon before stopping for the day.
    They will resume Friday.

Government lawyers argued Shrout aimed to cheat the Treasury and banks, and preached his illegal schemes to hundreds of others in paid seminars. He purposely sent a package of 1,000 homemade International Bills of Exchange, each purporting to be a legal tender for a trillion dollars, to a small community bank in Chicago "hoping to slip one by an unsuspecting banker,'' U.S. Tax Division trial lawyer Scott Wexler told jurors.

Shrout knew exactly what he was doing, Wexler said. Investigators found a copy of the U.S. Tax Code and the U.S. Department of Justice's criminal tax manual on Shrout's laptop computer, seized one night in the parking lot of The Grotto in Portland after he concluded a seminar there. The computer also contained an alert from the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, cautioning banks and federal savings institutions to be on the lookout for the circulation of such fictitious financial documents, Wexler said.

Shrout was driven by "simple greed,'' Wexler said. He earned a total of $562,224 from a carpentry pension, plus royalties and payments for his seminars, between 2009 and 2014, the prosecutor said.

"He intended to get and keep as much money as he could,'' Wexler said. "The defendant knew he didn't have legal authority to print legal tender of the United States from his home computer. ... The defendant didn't file his tax returns because he didn't want to.''

During his testimony, Shrout swiveled his chair toward the 12-member jury and read from prepared notes.

He explained how he believed he had authority from Dr. Ray C. Dam of the Office of International Treasury Control to help address the problem of mortgage foreclosures in the United States. He met Dam during a trip to Cambodia in 2010 and said Dam appointed him to be a notary, judge and counsel for the organization.

"The reason why I believe I can act upon this appointment is because the legal opinion of an international lawyer in Switzerland,'' Shrout said.

The office Shrout cited, though, is considered by the U.S. government a fraudulent organization that claims ties to the United Nations and the Federal Reserve.

Shrout said he joined what he estimated are about 65 million other people in what he called "tax avoidance" in the late 1980s after the Internal Revenue Service garnished his wages and he couldn't pick up his regular carpentry paycheck.

He hired a tax consultant then. "I had made errors in my filing. It's easy enough to do,'' Shrout told jurors. He said he learned he had overpaid the IRS about $2,000 and was refunded only 10 percent of that.

"That's what caused me to delve into these matters," he said. "My actions were based on the concept of tax avoidance, which I found to be perfectly legal."

During cross-examination, he didn't acknowledge that he earned "income'" in the six years he's accused of not paying taxes. "I could never find a legal definition of the word income," he testified.

"You can use any word you want, but you did receive funds, right?'' interjected U.S. District Judge Robert E. Jones.

"Correct," replied Shrout, who is representing himself with the help of a standby lawyer, Ruben Iniguez.

Iniguez, an assistant federal public defender, told jurors the entire case rested on Shrout's beliefs and his state of mind -- whether he had a "good faith'' belief that he was acting lawfully.

Jurors may find Shrout "a little crazy," but he didn't act willfully, even if his understanding of the law was unreasonable or wrong, Iniguez said.

"Ignorance of the law – misunderstanding of the law is a defense because the tax law is so damn complicated,'' Iniguez said.

He called each of Shrout's fake bills of exchange "ludicrous on its face.'' While prosecutors described the blue decorative borders, account numbers, red thumbprints and Shrout's signature on the documents as "hallmarks of legitimacy,'' Iniguez said they failed to point out the words, "Void where prohibited by law,'' which clearly made the documents worthless.

Using a Monopoly analogy, Iniguez argued that if someone hands a player game money worth a trillion dollars but it says "void'' on its face, "is that person really trying to defraud you?''

U.S. Tax Division trial lawyer Lee Langston said the void language on the fake documents was Shrout's "escape clause'' should he end up facing criminal prosecution.

Iniguez stressed that "not a single penny was paid out or transacted by anyone'' as a result of the 13 fictitious documents Shrout is accused of sending either to a bank or the Treasury. He argued that the government simply is out to "muzzle'' his client.

"The government doesn't like the fact people espouse these views,'' Iniguez said.

Until his arrest, Shrout was "the most prominent sovereign citizen guru remaining who had not been prosecuted on some charge,'' said Mark Pitcavage, senior research fellow with the Anti-Defamation League's Center on Extremism.
    "Shrout was highly influential within the sovereign citizen movement — even some other sovereign gurus liked to boast that their seminars taught the 'Winston Shrout method,'" Pitcavage said. "He had a great talent for looking folksy and spouting pseudo-legal gobbledygook that made all sorts of undeliverable promises to his gullible audiences."
    The sovereign citizen movement includes people who hold complex antigovernment beliefs, and it's been growing at a fast pace since the late 2000s, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. Sovereigns believe that they — not judges, juries, law enforcement or elected officials — get to decide which laws to obey and which to ignore, and they don't think they should have to pay taxes. They believe the founding fathers set up the U.S. government based on common law, but its been usurped by admiralty law, the law of the sea and international commerce.

Shrout helped spread the movement to other countries, traveling to Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain to hold sovereign citizen seminars, Pitcavage said.

"By 2008-2009, he had catapulted himself into the first rank of sovereign gurus, coming up with and promoting the pseudo-legal theories and tactics at the heart of the anti-government extremist movement,'' he said.

"If prosecutors can secure a conviction,'' Pitcavage said this week, "it could possibly even have a welcome dampening effect on the sovereign citizen movement, which has been growing steadily for years now."

-- Maxine Bernstein
    mbernstein@oregonian.com
    503-221-8212
    [URL="http://twitter.com/maxoregonian"]@maxoregonian[/URL]

The Oregonian
    Looking at the docket, I see a few things I don't like.

Waived counsel and is representing himself "pro se"
    A plea was entered, trial date set.

So, the court has jurisdiction. Although it appears that Winston is attempting to file within the court docket, documents which purport to show that he is not subject to their jurisdiction in light of his status as an American national, I'm not sure the court can hear him, or see him now that he is within their jurisdiction.

In personam jurisdiction needs to be challenged outside of the court via "special appearance" before any arraignment. Once arraignment occurs with the presence of counsel, it's over. You cannot win going into their tribunal with their rules, because at that point you are civilly dead and probate takes over. It's all administrative at that point.
    Yes, I admit that I am not as educated as you seem in order to maneuver oneself within their fictional Admiralty System. From the March 29 Talkshoe call, he says something that appears to me to be that this indictment was what he was wanting to have happen. As he says:
    "I don't think I want to tell this whole story yet. There's some things in the background that I have been working on. And I had to, basically, encourage an attack. Alot of your listeners don't know my history, but I have worked with the 'International' with the Office of International Treasury Control. So, based on that, I have international immunity under treaty with the United Nations. So, it was a key thing to... instigate... or whatever... practically, I had to beg for it.

In any event, there were some background things that I needed to accomplish. And I needed to get them done in a big hurry. One of them... probably some of your listeners might know, others might not know... but the IRS itself came onshore as a Delaware corporation back in 1934 or '35...."
    Being this is what Winston said, it seems to me that he was specifically looking for such an indictment (courtroom invitation) so he could proceed further with filing documents with the corporate court system for his next phase of his work with the Office of International Treasury Control. Winston did say / imply in that "Notice to Cease and Desist" (page 2 above) that he would deal with this on the administrative side:
    Quote "There will be no trial, as I will come to your magistrate court for settlement and closure."
    :
    There sure seems to be layers of this that we do not see, and as in all things quantum, the energy needs to shift before we see manifestation.

If Winston can stand in the private and the public, administer the public side for settlement and closure from within the beast, and retain his sovereignty, my hat goes off to him.

I am watching this one very closely, for it could be a new energetic opening for the rest of us.
    Last edited by turiya; 21st April 2017 at 17:54.

28. Link to Post #16
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Tom Cryer: U.S. Income Tax is a fraud

In June, 1994, Tom met a man who claimed that the Internal Revenue Code did not make him liable to pay income tax. This was a life-changing event for this lawyer, who then began to research into the law in order to prove this man wrong. What he discovered was that there is no income tax liability relative to American citizens. This presented Tom with a dilemma: does he put his head down and pretend not to know the truth, or to honor his oath to support and defend the rule of law and the Constitution? He chose the latter path, and ceased filing income tax.

As Tom says, it is apparent that the US government is stealing trillions of dollars from honest, hard-working Americans. It was using this stolen money to expand its reach far beyond its intended role. It is stealing, and using the sweat and labor of Americans to destroy their country.

Tom stopped filing and paying income tax UNLESS and UNTIL the government could show him it had any right to demand he do either. [...]

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Michelle Marie (15th September 2017), The Freedom Train (22nd April 2017)

30. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Here's what's happening to Winston Shrout right now:
    Winston Shrout admitted in court Thursday that he hasn't paid taxes for nearly 20 years and created worthless documents that he sent to banks and the U.S. Treasury to relieve debts.

But the 69-year-old -- a Kentucky native, retired carpenter and prominent sovereign citizen who has gained a following across the country and abroad -- said he never intended to harm or defraud anyone.

Shrout took the witness stand in his own defense for nearly two hours at the end of a three-day trial on 13 counts of creating and issuing bogus financial documents and six counts of willful failure to file tax returns from 2009 through 2014.

Jurors deliberated about two and a half hours in the afternoon before stopping for the day. They will resume Friday.

Government lawyers argued Shrout aimed to cheat the Treasury and banks, and preached his illegal schemes to hundreds of others in paid seminars. He purposely sent a package of 1,000 homemade International Bills of Exchange, each purporting to be a legal tender for a trillion dollars, to a small community bank in Chicago "hoping to slip one by an unsuspecting banker,'' U.S. Tax Division trial lawyer Scott Wexler told jurors.

Shrout knew exactly what he was doing, Wexler said. Investigators found a copy of the U.S. Tax Code and the U.S. Department of Justice's criminal tax manual on Shrout's laptop computer, seized one night in the parking lot of The Grotto in Portland after he concluded a seminar there. The computer also contained an alert from the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, cautioning banks and federal savings institutions to be on the lookout for the circulation of such fictitious financial documents, Wexler said.

Shrout was driven by "simple greed,'' Wexler said. He earned a total of $562,224 from a carpentry pension, plus royalties and payments for his seminars, between 2009 and 2014, the prosecutor said.

"He intended to get and keep as much money as he could,'' Wexler said. "The defendant knew he didn't have legal authority to print legal tender of the United States from his home computer. ... The defendant didn't file his tax returns because he didn't want to.''

During his testimony, Shrout swiveled his chair toward the 12-member jury and read from prepared notes.

He explained how he believed he had authority from Dr. Ray C. Dam of the Office of International Treasury Control to help address the problem of mortgage foreclosures in the United States. He met Dam during a trip to Cambodia in 2010 and said Dam appointed him to be a notary, judge and counsel for the organization.

"The reason why I believe I can act upon this appointment is because the legal opinion of an international lawyer in Switzerland,'' Shrout said.

The office Shrout cited, though, is considered by the U.S. government a fraudulent organization that claims ties to the United Nations and the Federal Reserve.

Shrout said he joined what he estimated are about 65 million other people in what he called "tax avoidance" in the late 1980s after the Internal Revenue Service garnished his wages and he couldn't pick up his regular carpentry paycheck.

He hired a tax consultant then. "I had made errors in my filing. It's easy enough to do,'' Shrout told jurors. He said he learned he had overpaid the IRS about $2,000 and was refunded only 10 percent of that.

"That's what caused me to delve into these matters," he said. "My actions were based on the concept of tax avoidance, which I found to be perfectly legal."

During cross-examination, he didn't acknowledge that he earned "income'" in the six years he's accused of not paying taxes. "I could never find a legal definition of the word income," he testified.

"You can use any word you want, but you did receive funds, right?'' interjected U.S. District Judge Robert E. Jones.

"Correct," replied Shrout, who is representing himself with the help of a standby lawyer, Ruben Iniguez.

Iniguez, an assistant federal public defender, told jurors the entire case rested on Shrout's beliefs and his state of mind -- whether he had a "good faith'' belief that he was acting lawfully.

Jurors may find Shrout "a little crazy," but he didn't act willfully, even if his understanding of the law was unreasonable or wrong, Iniguez said.

"Ignorance of the law – misunderstanding of the law is a defense because the tax law is so damn complicated,'' Iniguez said.

He called each of Shrout's fake bills of exchange "ludicrous on its face.'' While prosecutors described the blue decorative borders, account numbers, red thumbprints and Shrout's signature on the documents as "hallmarks of legitimacy,'' Iniguez said they failed to point out the words, "Void where prohibited by law,'' which clearly made the documents worthless.

Using a Monopoly analogy, Iniguez argued that if someone hands a player game money worth a trillion dollars but it says "void'' on its face, "is that person really trying to defraud you?''

U.S. Tax Division trial lawyer Lee Langston said the void language on the fake documents was Shrout's "escape clause'' should he end up facing criminal prosecution.

Iniguez stressed that "not a single penny was paid out or transacted by anyone'' as a result of the 13 fictitious documents Shrout is accused of sending either to a bank or the Treasury. He argued that the government simply is out to "muzzle'' his client.

"The government doesn't like the fact people espouse these views,'' Iniguez said.

Until his arrest, Shrout was "the most prominent sovereign citizen guru remaining who had not been prosecuted on some charge,'' said Mark Pitcavage, senior research fellow with the Anti-Defamation League's Center on Extremism.

"Shrout was highly influential within the sovereign citizen movement — even some other sovereign gurus liked to boast that their seminars taught the 'Winston Shrout method,'" Pitcavage said. "He had a great talent for looking folksy and spouting pseudo-legal gobbledygook that made all sorts of undeliverable promises to his gullible audiences."

The sovereign citizen movement includes people who hold complex antigovernment beliefs, and it's been growing at a fast pace since the late 2000s, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. Sovereigns believe that they — not judges, juries, law enforcement or elected officials — get to decide which laws to obey and which to ignore, and they don't think they should have to pay taxes. They believe the founding fathers set up the U.S. government based on common law, but its been usurped by admiralty law, the law of the sea and international commerce.

Shrout helped spread the movement to other countries, traveling to Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain to hold sovereign citizen seminars, Pitcavage said.

"By 2008-2009, he had catapulted himself into the first rank of sovereign gurus, coming up with and promoting the pseudo-legal theories and tactics at the heart of the anti-government extremist movement,'' he said.

"If prosecutors can secure a conviction,'' Pitcavage said this week, "it could possibly even have a welcome dampening effect on the sovereign citizen movement, which has been growing steadily for years now."

31. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

anandacate (21st April 2017), Atlas (21st April 2017), Basho (21st April 2017), Eva2 (22nd April 2017), genevieve (22nd April 2017), happyuk (22nd April 2017), Michelle Marie (15th September 2017), Mike (21st April 2017), Morbid (27th April 2017), The Freedom Train (22nd April 2017), Watching from Cyprus (24th April 2017)

32. Link to Post #18
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    [...] The government doesn't like the fact people espouse these views [...]
    B.C. anti-tax crusader sentenced to 5½ years for selling "those nonsensical concepts": (1:02)

Prince Ea: Dear Future Generations
    Last edited by Atlas; 21st April 2017 at 19:29.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

avid (22nd April 2017), DeDukshyn (22nd April 2017), The Freedom Train (22nd April 2017)

34. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,998 times in 449 posts

My post veers from the topic of Shrout and his issuing various
    financial documents, but here's a very good video explaining
    why paying income taxes is indeed voluntary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNzRBV43skY&t=74s

It's important to understand that once we register as voters or
    know it or not, and thus consent to abide by the club's rules
    and regulations. As you might guess, the club is the corporate
    UNITED STATES (and the STATES are its franchises).

De-registering is a matter of writing a simple letter to your
    county registrar and instructing him/her to remove you from the
    voter roll. This removes the presumption that you agree
    to abide by the club's rules, regs, codes, etc. which, if you don't
    follow, you can be fined/punished for violating.

After de-registering you are still responsible for any crimes you
    commit, but crimes are very different from code violations and
    infractions (i.e., doing something they say you're not supposed
    to do or not doing something that the club requires you to do
    based on their rules). Crimes involve harming a real live man/
    woman or damaging their property.

I encourage anyone interested in this sort of stuff to read the
    (short, but jam packed with valuable info) book linked below.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3076...tus-Blackstone

Peace Love Joy & Harmony,
    genevieve

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to genevieve For This Post:

Atlas (22nd April 2017), Michelle Marie (15th September 2017), The Freedom Train (22nd April 2017)

36. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,123 times in 1,385 posts

Quote Posted by bill ryan (here)
    .....until his arrest, shrout was "the most prominent sovereign citizen guru remaining who had not been prosecuted on some charge,'' said mark pitcavage, senior research fellow with the anti-defamation league's center on extremism.

"shrout was highly influential within the sovereign citizen movement — even some other sovereign gurus liked to boast that their seminars taught the 'winston shrout method,'" pitcavage said. "he had a great talent for looking folksy and spouting pseudo-legal gobbledygook that made all sorts of undeliverable promises to his gullible audiences."

the sovereign citizen movement includes people who hold complex antigovernment beliefs, and it's been growing at a fast pace since the late 2000s, according to the southern poverty law center......
    What does the Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith or the Southern Poverty Law Centre have to do with this subject?

edit: I'm going to let David Icke shed some light on the possible answer to that question:

Last edited by Akasha; 22nd April 2017 at 16:59.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast