+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ancient Calendars!

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Ancient Calendars

There's a lot of speculation about the Mayan Calendar -

But I find very little on it's ancient counterparts and their relationships -

The Egyptian Calendar -

The Chinese Calendar -

The Phaistos Disk -

The Genetic Disk (or 'Klaus Dona Calendar' =) -

Please post any others that I have forgotten or am ignorant of.

How are they related? Are there deeper implications when comparing these to the Mayan and Gregorian calendars' connection of predictions/prophecies?

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts and ideas on this!
    Last edited by Turcurulin; 18th February 2012 at 23:02.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Turcurulin For This Post:

Alekahn (4th March 2012), D-Day (8th February 2012), DoubleHelix (8th February 2012), frances (20th February 2012), ktlight (8th February 2012), Maia Gabrial (8th February 2012), Referee (8th February 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 times in 436 posts

Default Re: Ancient Calendars!

Here is a short article that talks about the Mayan calender. Perhaps we are trying to make it work for something it was never intended for (figuring out what happens to us this year or next).

http://www.2012.com.au/Mayan_calendar_of_creation.html

Title:
    The Mayan Calendar of Creation
    CORRECTING SOME COMMON ERRORS
    by Ian Xel Lungol

snip
    The 260 day Tzolkin calendar is probably the Mayan calendar with which you are most familiar. Most people were introduced to the Mayan calendar by Jose Arguelles and his Dreamspell version of the ancient Mayan "True Count" calendar.

This erroneous "Dreamspell" calendar is the one that Mr. Rob Underhill and Aluna Joy Yaxkin among others, are promoting.

You may have heard something about the Haab calendar and its 19 month divisions of each 365 days into 18 months of 20 days with 5 days in the 19th month. This is the calendar most understood by the “western trained” archeologists and so the most discussed in books and class rooms.

The Haab was the Mayan solar year, agricultural, bookkeeping, or civil calendar developed by the “post classic” Maya. (NOT the classic Maya.) What you have not heard much about is the calendar that was central to the “classic” Maya called the TUN calendar of 360 days. This TUN, 360 day calendar (18 months of 20 days) is the only Maya calendar directly connected to the Tzolkin and they run together like two gears, each day being a tooth on the respective gears.

All of the dates carved in stone throughout Meso America over 3000 years were carved in TUN dates not Haab dates. Neither the Tzolkin nor the Tun calendars is concerned whatsoever with our earthly orbit around our particular star or our moon’s orbit either.

The Maya have never connected the Tzolkin and the Haab calendar together. It was the modern Archeologists that did that. Jose Arguelles was just following what he was taught by the archeologists. He has never gone to the Maya to discuss any of this.

end snip

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eileenrose For This Post:

Alekahn (4th March 2012), frances (20th February 2012), Turcurulin (8th February 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Thanks Eileen! I'm fairly aware of the Mayan calendar and it's implications/the different theories surrounding it's interpretations, but less so of the others and their possible/probable connections to it. Thoughts?

The Hindu Calendar -

I forgot this one in the first post. I can see The Medicine Wheel within the construction of all of these calendars.
    Last edited by Turcurulin; 18th February 2012 at 23:01.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Turcurulin For This Post:

frances (20th February 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Hi Turcurulin, I hadn't given it much thought, as I don't study the calendar's myself. I mean I've seen the videos, and I heard the various theories that we see regularly put forth on forums. I wish I could say what the Mayan's were thinking. But except for the current Elders, who seem to say different ideas as well about this time, I don't have any personal experience knowing this information myself. I havn't had any intuitive hits that any of the calenders dates we've been given as important, are.
    Which just leaves us with our own intuition and ideas.

One I do have is that having a calender isn't suppose to be so we know when to go to work or get up. That kind of time keeping is the first thing I let go of, in my own life. It makes for some wicked moments (cool word) with anyone who lives in the West who thinks that being on time is important. That is sooo wrong. And yet it is ingrained in us.
    What I feel these alternate calendars are doing, generally, is waking us up to the notion that we don't have to do what we've been told to do. Instead we can check around for ourselves
    and find out what works for us, individually and as a society. But I don't mean a huge 350 million plus society....I mean that is way outside any of the concepts I am working with.
    Perhaps if we broke ourselves down into functional groups again, we would know exactly what kind of calender and dating systems are useful. And once we accepted that,
    then we could begin to get advance calendars (which is what I expect us to decide is what happen with the Mayans,....they got really good with using their calendars,...till their calendars became a way to predict events....neat huh?).
    eileen

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eileenrose For This Post:

aranuk (19th February 2012), frances (20th February 2012), Turcurulin (8th February 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

The Cherokee Calendar -

The Bulgarian Calendar -

The Jewish Calendar -

The Muslim Calendar -

The (Partial) Babylonian Calendar -

The Hopi Calendar -

The Kumeyaay Calendar -

The Zuni Calendar -

Last edited by Turcurulin; 18th February 2012 at 23:52.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Turcurulin For This Post:

frances (20th February 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,381 times in 3,376 posts

Yes there's .. Kalachakra , originally Hindu tantra adopted and transformed to secret Buddhist teaching called the Wheel of Time..

http://kalachakranet.org/kalachakra_...roduction.html

If you ask what do they have in common ..

they show your position in Space , it's a 'seal' , a signature of the planet - shows its relation to the Sun, other planets , whether it has a Moon , how fast they're orbiting around etc.

Some of the old cultures preserved not one but several calendars, one was 'secular' and respective to the Earth and another were 'Sacred' and showed Sun or even several Suns , with Stars and planets in different position to them ..

Almost all of the cultures you named, including Mayans, Egyptians, Persians , Hindus ..preserved several types of ancient calendars, their records are still trackable ( such as in the Kalachakra tantra ) but almost forgotten ..

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

frances (20th February 2012), Turcurulin (19th February 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Symbolseeker's Avatar
    Thanks

There is a very interesting comparison -

notice the center of the Sun Calendar. Now look at this:

Interesting. A gorgon in the middle of the Mayan calendar (notice the tongue hanging out). And reasonable considering that the Mayan calendar was brought there by the Phoenicians, who got it from the ancient Vanir mariners of the IndoEuropean culture ca. 4500 BC (sometimes referred to as the Watchers). It is extremely accurate, something not required for agriculture, but essential for navigation. Navigators for the ancient Vanir mariners were mostly females called Gorgons, and they were masters of astronomy, currents, and wind. A more detailed history is found in Symbology: Decoding Classic Images, (Snyder 2010) and on Once Upon a Time: world of symbols blog.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Symbolseeker For This Post:

frances (20th February 2012), Turcurulin (20th February 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,642 times in 7,428 posts

Gregg Braden on cycles (relates to calendars )

Chris

A charity to help African Children become self sufficient. :attention:

http://www.learningtoolsforselfdevelopment.co.uk/

Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

eileenrose (21st February 2012), InTheBackground (21st February 2012), pugwash84 (23rd February 2012), Turcurulin (20th February 2012)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Turcur.,
    For the next week, you can hear Barbara Hand Clow talk about a few things that might interest you. She talks about Dec. 21, the mayan caledar, etc. The interview will stay free for approx. one week.

On Whitley Strieber's Unknown country radio show:

http://www.unknowncountry.com/dreamland/latest
    title: "Why all the End of the World Fears? Could it be that Something GOOD is Coming?"

It is an excellent interview. I've heard her talk before and she made more sense this time. For example, she explains why nothing will happen December 21st of this year (the galactic alignment happen in 1999 already). I also thought she made her point that we are regressing to our inherited past when we feel exposed right now (to imaginary 'end time' chants).
    Last edited by eileenrose; 25th February 2012 at 07:55.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to eileenrose For This Post:

Turcurulin (25th February 2012)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

So now is she accurate?
    A different question.

She really (Barbara Hand Clow) did homework and wrote books (so she did research and sited resources). And so are we bringing up our past for collective healing?
    I feel Paul Levy (www.awakeninthedream.com) talks about this in length in his own personal research (he leads groups in Seattle, Or). He had an enlightening type experience a couple of decades ago and it changed his views (on everything). He used Jungian archetypes to explain his experiences (well written articles...I highly recommend trying to read them....).

For myself, I often find myself dealing with repressed fears. And sometimes, I feel myself helping others heal similar issues (I do remote healing). Are these issues (I feel we all have) originating from earth catastrophes that happen eons ago? A good question. And then the question becomes, if that is the case, can we heal our own human species (if indeed it needs healing....I guess we will discover this) of these negative energies?

I like the idea that we can heal ourselves and our species. ...something to play with.
    Last edited by eileenrose; 26th February 2012 at 14:05.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to eileenrose For This Post:

Turcurulin (25th February 2012)

+ Reply to Thread