+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Smoking Kills - Experiment, Medical Facts and Statistics

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member AlexanderLight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 times in 156 posts

Default Smoking Kills - Experiment, Medical Facts and Statistics

We all know smoking is bad, but have you had any idea it is THIS bad?
    Source - Complete Article

I. Medical Facts;
    II. Amazing Experiment;
    III. List of Chemicals and Additives;
    IV. Smoking Deaths Worldwide;

I. The effects of smoking on human health are serious and in many cases, deadly. There are approximately 4000 chemicals in cigarettes, hundreds of which are toxic. The ingredients in cigarettes affect everything from the internal functioning of organs to the efficiency of the body's immune system. The effects of cigarette smoking are destructive and widespread.

Smoking Effects on the Human Body:

- Toxic ingredients in cigarette smoke travel throughout the body, causing damage in several different ways.

- Nicotine reaches the brain within 10 seconds after smoke is inhaled. It has been found in every part of the body and in breast milk.

- Carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin in red blood cells, preventing affected cells from carrying a full load of oxygen.

- Cancer-causing agents (carcinogens) in tobacco smoke damage important genes that control the growth of cells, causing them to grow abnormally or to reproduce too rapidly.

- The carcinogen benzo(a)pyrene binds to cells in the airways and major organs of smokers.

- Smoking affects the function of the immune system and may increase the risk for respiratory and other infections.

- There are several likely ways that cigarette smoke does its damage. One is oxidative stress that mutates DNA, promotes atherosclerosis, and leads to chronic lung injury. Oxidative stress is thought to be the general mechanism behind the aging process, contributing to the development of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and COPD.

- The body produces antioxidants to help repair damaged cells. Smokers have lower levels of antioxidants in their blood than do nonsmokers.

- Smoking is associated with higher levels of chronic inflammation, another damaging process that may result in oxidative stress.

II. Interesting Experiment:

III. What do we really inhale when smoking?

Chemicals in Cigarettes: Carcinogens
    Chemicals in Cigarettes: Toxic Metals
    Chemicals in Cigarettes: Radioactive Toxic Metals
    Chemicals in Cigarettes: Poisons
    + 599 Additives

The list of 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes is something every smoker should see. Submitted by the five major American cigarette companies to the Dept. of Health and Human Services in April of 1994, this list of ingredients had long been kept a secret.

IV. Smoking Deaths Worldwide
    Around 5.4 million deaths a year are caused by tobacco.

Smoking is set to kill 6.5 million people in 2015 and 8.3 million humans in 2030, with the biggest rise in low-and middle-income countries.

Every 6.5 seconds a current or former smoker dies, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

Smoking causes more death and disability than any single disease (World Health Organization).

650,000 Europeans die each year from tobacco-related diseases, EU figures reveal.

Highest US smoking death rate according to the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report:
    * Kentucky
    * West Virginia
    * Nevada
    * Mississippi
    * Oklahoma
    * Tennessee
    * Arkansas
    * Alabama
    * Indiana
    * Missouri

In India, about 900,000 Indians a year die from smoking-related diseases, that's nearly one in 10 of all deaths in India. Half of Indian males use tobacco and it is becoming more popular with younger people.

In Russia, smoking kills between 400,000 and 500,000 Russians every year from smoking ailments.

About 140,000 Germans die every year from tobacco-related illnesses. Nearly one in three German adults smokes regularly. Some studies estimate that 3,000-4,000 deaths per year can be attributed to passive smoking.

In the UK, 90,000 people die from smoking each year.

In Turkey, around 110,000 people each year die of smoking-related illnesses, according to official figures.

In France, there are about 66,000 smoking-related deaths each year and up to 5,800 deaths from passive smoking, inhaling the smoke of smokers. About 12 million people are smokers, 25 percent of the population.

In Spain, there are 50,000 smoking-related deaths annually. About 30 percent of Spaniards smoke.

In Canada, 37,000 people die from smoking every year, according to the Ministry of Health.

In Greece, where 45% of the population smokes, an estimated 20,000 people die of smoking-related diseases each year. 600 people die every year from passive smoking. The number of smokers in Greece has gone up 10 percent in 10 years).

In Australia, 15,000 to 19,000 Australians deaths each year are caused by smoking. Roughly 20% of the Australian population smokes. Government officials are trying to address the issue. More than 4,000 Victorians die from soming every year. More than 3,400 Queenslanders die because of smoking each year.

13,000 Scots are killed every year by tobacco where about 30% of the population smokes. Up to 2,000 people die of passive smoking annually. Smoking kills 6 times more Scots than accidents, murder, suicide, falls and poisoning combined (Edinburgh Evening News).

In Ireland, 6,000 people die each year from smoking-related diseases. Smoking-related illnesses kill 2,500 people in Northern Ireland each year.

More than two thirds of the world's smokers live in just 10 countries (WHO):
    1. China
    2. India
    3. Indonesia
    4. Russia
    5. US
    6. Japan
    7. Brazil
    8. Bangladesh
    9. Germany
    10. Turkey

44.5 million Americans, currently smoke or about 21 percent of American adults, according to estimates from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Tobacco use will kill 1 billion people in the 21st century if current smoking trends continue.

V. Smoking: The Financial Cost

According to betterhealth.vic.gov.au, you would save about $2,500 in six months and about $5,100 in one year for quitting smoke (calculated at one pack/day). And if you persuade your life partner to quit smoking as well, you could save twice as much. That's about $51,000 in five years. You could buy a new car or put a deposit on a new house, all while staying healthy and fresh. Do you think it's worth it?

CLICK OR CALL TO QUIT SMOKING: 1-877-44U-QUIT (that's: 1-877-448-7848 ) or search for FREE local help.

CLICK to Read Entire Article and See All Statistics

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to AlexanderLight For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (11th February 2012), albativo (15th February 2012), brenie (11th February 2012), frances (11th February 2012), I33 (14th February 2012), Lifebringer (12th February 2012), MMA_Fan (11th February 2012), modwiz (11th February 2012), realm.slipper (17th February 2012), Swanette (11th February 2012), tcjim1 (11th February 2012), WhiteFeather (11th February 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,971 times in 5,651 posts

Default Re: Smoking Kills - Experiment, Medical Facts and Statistics

Dear Alexander, What inspired you to Post This Awesome Thread,,,, If I May Ask?
    "Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

aranuk (11th February 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

I'm glad i started on the electronic cigarettes 6 months ago, now completely given up Can't recommend them highly enough for anyone out there struggling to give up smoking!

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lysander For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (11th February 2012), DoubleHelix (14th February 2012), MMA_Fan (11th February 2012), modwiz (11th February 2012), pugwash84 (13th February 2012), RMorgan (11th February 2012), Swanette (11th February 2012), WhiteFeather (11th February 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Quote Posted by lysander (here)
    I'm glad i started on the electronic cigarettes 6 months ago, now completely given up Can't recommend them highly enough for anyone out there struggling to give up smoking!

Hi Lysander, i have been smoking for 26 years now and its been pretty disgusting lately and i would like to kick the habit very much, are those electronic fags any good ?

I am a bit sick of my own excuses to not kick the habit, lately i think, i stink, house stinks, clothes stink, morning coughs, cost a sh!t load of money, stinking ashtreys, not in the best shape, etc etc.

What cleared up for you when you started the cybersmokes?

Sincerely

PS. sorry Alexander, forgot to thank you for your great post.

Great post.
    Last edited by 778 neighbour of some guy; 11th February 2012 at 15:20.

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,709 times in 914 posts

It's a tough one. Physically speaking, smoking is very debilitating...even more so than heroin. The good news is that it's not as addictive. Having said that, it still isn't easy!
    • Some people have the singlemindedness to quit, relying on their own willpower.
    • If one's will is weak, try to buddy up with someone who wants to give up smoking whose will is strong.
    • Or tandem yourself with people who do not smoke at all. You'll stand a better chance to quit in their association.

Of course this advice is for those who want to quit. It is amazing that to note that there are many people who smoked their whole adult life and have healthy, long lives.
    Last edited by Lettherebelight; 11th February 2012 at 15:47.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lettherebelight For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (11th February 2012), MMA_Fan (11th February 2012)

10. Link to Post #6
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Quote Posted by Lettherebelight (here)
    It's a tough one. Physically speaking, smoking is very debilitating...even more so than heroin. The good news is that it's not as addictive. Having said that, it still isn't easy!
    • Some people have the singlemindedness to quit, relying on their own willpower.
    • If one's will is weak, try to buddy up with someone who wants to give up smoking whose will is strong.
    • Or tandem yourself with people who do not smoke at all. You'll stand a better chance to quit in their association.

Of course this advice is for those who want to quit. It is amazing that to note that there are many people who smoked their whole adult life and have healthy, long lives.
    You are right, no doubt.

Its very easy for me to quit the smoking itself you know, i miss it for a couple of days, then its gone, and suddenly i find myself a week later or so, maybe even a few weeks later standing outside a tobacco shop lighting one up for some reason, just wandered in, did my purchase, lit up and here we go again.

Its crazy, its so embedded in my system i dont even notice, i go in on automatic pilot and voila.

11. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

I smoke cigars and sometimes go months without. Sometimes I smoke a pipe. I'm not addicted to nicotine. I have avoided smoking cigarettes.

Clearly smoking two packs a day is a good way to destroy your body and die. I want to point out, however, that when we are told "smoking is bad", there is no difference mentioned between smoking %100 natural tobacco and smoking the average cigarette. I have heard that the average cigarette has 173 additives in it, including ammonia which enhances the addiction, chemicals that are banned from spraying on crops (but you can smoke em?), and things that are known carcinogens when burned like coco.

Some people theorize that the tobacco plant spirit has been polluted on purpose. Native peoples used it for centuries without chain smoking the way people do now. It was traditionally used ceremonially and ritually. So, maybe the powers that be intentionally poisoned it and made it addictive. If so, they made a killing in the process and now have convinced everyone that a once sacred plant is now super evil.

Myself, I find that smoking has a calm focusing affect and I write my best poetry when smoking.
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (11th February 2012), aranuk (11th February 2012), DianeKJ (11th February 2012), Lettherebelight (11th February 2012), Muzz (13th February 2012), WhiteFeather (11th February 2012)

13. Link to Post #8
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hey there,

The electronic fags vary quite a lot, i've tried many different brands though and these ended up being the best http://www.skycig.co.uk/ the other ones which are good are the icig ones, bigger battery. You'd defi itely need a starter kit that includes 2 batteries as they dont last too long, the cheaper brands/kits are rubbish dont veen bother with them, just grab a skycig starter pack, and i suspect 3 months down the line you'll be off even those ecigs.

Even after just a week i noticed my chest felt a lot better, could walk up the stairs without getting out of breath! They are handy for when u wanna smoke at the pub or on the train too, or just in the house without smoke.

Lys

Quote Posted by 665 plumber of the beast (here)
    Quote Posted by lysander (here)

Hi Lysander, i have been smoking for 26 years now and its been pretty disgusting lately and i would like to kick the habit very much, are those electronic fags any good ?

I am a bit sick of my own excuses to not kick the habit, lately i think, i stink, house stinks, clothes stink, morning coughs, cost a sh!t load of money, stinking ashtreys, not in the best shape, etc etc.

What cleared up for you when you started the cybersmokes?

Sincerely

PS. sorry Alexander, forgot to thank you for your great post.

Great post.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lysander For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (11th February 2012), witchy1 (11th February 2012)

15. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

"Your love of the halfings' leaf has clearly slowed your mind."

-Saruman

I've heard that every pack in Middle Earth carries a warning from the Surgeon General of Isengard. That's just what I heard.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

aranuk (11th February 2012), Lettherebelight (11th February 2012)

17. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,461 times in 2,849 posts

When I quit for the last time, in May of 2010, I bought a pack of those electronic cigs about 2 months after I'd gone cold turkey. I suppose I'd already quit by then, but it was nice having them around. I used them for maybe 4, 5 months before I just didn't even have the habit anymore. In total, I probably smoked for about 17 out of 22 years. But I'm done for good this time. Although Laura Knight-Jadczyk of Cassiopaen fame has an interesting take on Cigarettes and their danger.

Here is a provocative quote from her extensively researched article:

Quote Nicotine DOUBLES the efficiency of our thinking. Hmmm... I think that makes it pretty clear why the PTB (Powers That Be) wish to stamp out smoking. After all, as one comment to the article mentioned, "if our immunity to emotional manipulation and psychopathic propaganda is directly proportional to the cortical control we can exert over the knee-jerk emotional reactions programmed into the amygdala. If smoking can DOUBLE the effective communication between the cortex and other parts of the brain, then what does that say about efforts to do away with smoking in the general population? Can't have any of the hysterical sheeple accidentally waking up and thinking rationally about their actions."

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

aranuk (11th February 2012), Belle (11th February 2012), Lettherebelight (11th February 2012), spiritguide (12th February 2012), Swanette (11th February 2012)

19. Link to Post #11
    Wales Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,775 times in 1,313 posts

I started smoking in the army cadets at 13 years old, and that was before my puberty, I am 62, and I have always smoked 2packs a day, that's 40 gigs a day, I have no problems and never had any problems, I don't care if I meet 6 foot 5 gorilla if he give me his hand, I will break all his fingers, I have lost nothing as far as I see by smoking, and as far as memory goes, I have a very good memory, and all the stuff I write is all from memory, as I collect golden nuggets and have nothing to refer to but my memory.

Now here's the WARNING, the information on the packets will defiantly kill you if you keep taking heed of it, it works on the subliminal, and will eventually effect you, and that the real killer. They now found a novel way to get you to buy yet again from the big pharma, patches, mouth sprays, and the rest of the BS. you come off gigs and then you're a drug addict for the rest of your life if you don't stop, humanity has been surrounded by smoke, and smoking since time began.

regards to all
    roman

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ROMANWKT For This Post:

aranuk (11th February 2012), JRS (12th February 2012), Kimberley (12th February 2012), lake (12th February 2012), Lettherebelight (11th February 2012), Mark (11th February 2012), Realeyes (12th February 2012), Swanette (11th February 2012)

21. Link to Post #12
    Borden

I smoke, I'm nearly 43 years old, and I am tired of being told I shouldn't smoke by obese, sick-looking people who don't give a thought to the million and one ways in which their animal food, toiletries, mobile phones, soft furnishings, etc, etc, etc are killing them.

I am not advocating smoking. I am just saying that the ill-informed hypocrisy of some non-smokers depresses me. Wait a minute ... nicotine is a neuro enhancer? Really? Aaah ... bing-bing-bing!

Anyone else hear that?

Hey, OP, this isn't an attack on you ... I'm sure you have your reasons for posting this. I have some issues with high cholesterol food. Much of it costing untold carnage in the animal kingdom. I'd say that's probably a higher horse and a worthier one.

Borden

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Borden For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (11th February 2012), aranuk (11th February 2012), Kimberley (12th February 2012), lake (12th February 2012), Lettherebelight (11th February 2012), Muzz (13th February 2012), Swanette (11th February 2012), Whiskey_Mystic (11th February 2012)

23. Link to Post #13
    Netherlands Avalon Member GaelVictor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 times in 316 posts

It's the additives that are harmfull, and the amount you take in.
    I started smoking at 14 and especially enjoyed it while drinking alcohol and after meals.
    5 years ago on a sunday, i decided to stop, it wasn't easy, but i visualised how bad it was for my blood, lungtissue and regeneration. That helped my discipline and resolve. Also a bottle or 2 of excellent Calvados and a box of outstanding cigars. After a week i didn't inhale the smoke of the cigars anymore, the ritual of taking the smoke around in the mouth was enough.

*note; i did gain 5 kilograms and i'm sure they never left me.
    Last edited by GaelVictor; 11th February 2012 at 23:36.
    "Dodecahedron; 12 faces 20 points 30 edges 6480 degrees"

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GaelVictor For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (11th February 2012), aranuk (11th February 2012), Kimberley (12th February 2012), Lettherebelight (11th February 2012), Swanette (12th February 2012)

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,374 times in 1,941 posts

Yes Alexander go preach somewhere else and leave us who smoke alone please. I seriously should stop. But that is up to me.

Stan puffing away
    If you don't follow your spirit without hesitation, you end up following your hesitation without spirit.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aranuk For This Post:

Kimberley (12th February 2012), Lettherebelight (11th February 2012)

27. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,709 times in 914 posts

That must be true, Borden, cuz your powers of observation are razor sharp...neuro-transmitters in overdrive!

Agreed about the higher horse too.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lettherebelight For This Post:

aranuk (11th February 2012)

29. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Quote Posted by Whiskey_Mystic (here)
    I smoke cigars and sometimes go months without. Sometimes I smoke a pipe. I'm not addicted to nicotine. I have avoided smoking cigarettes.

Clearly smoking two packs a day is a good way to destroy your body and die. I want to point out, however, that when we are told "smoking is bad", there is no difference mentioned between smoking %100 natural tobacco and smoking the average cigarette. I have heard that the average cigarette has 173 additives in it, including ammonia which enhances the addiction, chemicals that are banned from spraying on crops (but you can smoke em?), and things that are known carcinogens when burned like coco.

Some people theorize that the tobacco plant spirit has been polluted on purpose. Native peoples used it for centuries without chain smoking the way people do now. It was traditionally used ceremonially and ritually. So, maybe the powers that be intentionally poisoned it and made it addictive. If so, they made a killing in the process and now have convinced everyone that a once sacred plant is now super evil.

Myself, I find that smoking has a calm focusing affect and I write my best poetry when smoking.
    I agree. Smoke natural tobacco. Pay more for organic if you can. Roll your own and save money. You can roll a filterd natural tobacco with a rolling machine. I come from a long line of smokers. None got cancer. My husband is a smoker for almost 50 years now. X-rays are clear. Circulation is good. Sats 96 on room air. He can climb mountians... just gotta wonder why.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

aranuk (11th February 2012), Kimberley (12th February 2012), Swanette (12th February 2012)

31. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,374 times in 1,941 posts

Quote Posted by Borden (here)
    I smoke, I'm nearly 43 years old, and I am tired of being told I shouldn't smoke by obese, sick-looking people who don't give a thought to the million and one ways in which their animal food, toiletries, mobile phones, soft furnishings, etc, etc, etc are killing them.

I am not advocating smoking. I am just saying that the ill-informed hypocrisy of some non-smokers depresses me. Wait a minute ... nicotine is a neuro enhancer? Really? Aaah ... bing-bing-bing!

Anyone else hear that?

Hey, OP, this isn't an attack on you ... I'm sure you have your reasons for posting this. I have some issues with high cholesterol food. Much of it costing untold carnage in the animal kingdom. I'd say that's probably a higher horse and a worthier one.

Borden
    Not what I've heard Borden. Cholesterol is what the body produces for good reasons.
    Try and cut down on the smoking though.

Stan
    If you don't follow your spirit without hesitation, you end up following your hesitation without spirit.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to aranuk For This Post:

33. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Anyone else hear that?

Borden
    Yeah, it does crack me up when someone tells me that smoking will kill me while they are sucking down aspartame, high fructose corn syrup, and big macs.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

Kimberley (12th February 2012), Swanette (12th February 2012)

35. Link to Post #19
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,123 times in 3,535 posts

I had success with electronics cigarettes as well. It was pretty easy quitting smoking with their help.

Cheers,

Raf.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

37. Link to Post #20
    Borden

Quote Posted by aranuk (here)

Anyone else hear that?

Borden
    Not what I've heard Borden. Cholesterol is what the body produces for good reasons.
    Try and cut down on the smoking though.

Stan
    I know what you're saying, Stan, I try to keep it to a minimum, but I'm pretty compulsive! I don't smoke packet cigarettes though .. I buy rolling tobacco and filter tips. I know there are still chemicals and rubbish in the rolling tobacco, but I've read that it's a lot less than in packs of twenty. I used to be a Marlboro man, but these days they make me feel sick! Golden Virginia is certainly not untouched by the evil crap they add to the tobacco, but it definitely feels less dire than the packs.

By the way, had some blood tests not long ago, and my cholesterol was 4.7. That, and my blood count made my doc say "how do you do that?" I put it down to diet. My philosophy is that the more good things you do,and the more rubbish you cut out, the more you can afford to allow the things you really like (even if they're not great for you!). Sort of a pebbles at the window theory. (Which do you smoke, btw?)

By the way, AlexanderLight, I'm sorry if I sounded a little angry. I'm sure you have a fair point, and I didn't mean to argue it really ... it was just that I'm so tired of the slanted view on health issues, when I take so many health (and moral food) issues so seriously! Good information, thanks.

Borden

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Borden For This Post:

lake (12th February 2012), Mark (11th February 2012), nimmer (12th February 2012), Whiskey_Mystic (12th February 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast