+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Required Listening: Howard Stern on Ellen, JC Penney, Bullied Gay Kids

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

Default Re: Required Listening: Howard Stern on Ellen, JC Penney, Bullied Gay Kids

Quote Posted by alamojo (here)

Flash, thank you for your constructive comments. If you can point me to a biology textbook which agrees with you I will be glad to study it.
    Why challenge someone else to do your research? Are you too lazy or just set in a predetermined position so that you don't need to question your own position with anything so silly as actual research?

A quick Google will show you position papers for both arguments, some sociological and some neurological. From the University of Texas course Biology 301d, Chapter 23-

Quote Interstitial nucleus of the Anterior Hypothalamus #3. In 1991, Simon LeVay reported a search for sexual preference differences in the size (volume) of 4 brain nuclei in a brain region known as the anterior hypothalamus. Work on rodents had demonstrated that this brain region affected sexual behavior, and work on humans had already identified a male-female difference in tiny regions or ‘nuclei’ of the anterior hypothalamus. LeVay found a difference between heterosexual and gay men in one of these nuclei (#3); the size of INAH3 in gay men was similar to that of (heterosexual) females and smaller than that of heterosexual men.

Other studies have reported brain differences associated with sexual preference. The regions involved (in different studies) have been the suprachiasmatic nucleus, the mid-saggital plane of the anterior commissure, and the isthmus of the corpus callosum.
    I'm gonna quote myself next-

Quote Posted by Whiskey_Mystic (here)
    I think what can be tiring is that some people don't know the difference between discussion and debate. In a discussion, you share ideas and consider things from different angles together. In a debate, you pick a side and defend it while attacking other points of view. I leave it up to you to decide which of these approaches will lead to greater understanding.

Hint: Project Avalon is a great place to have a discussion.
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

2. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member truth4me's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,290 times in 1,094 posts

Default Re: Required Listening: Howard Stern on Ellen, JC Penney, Bullied Gay Kids

If we are here to experience soul growth through many life incarnations then the chances are very good you/I have been gay in one of those life incarnations.
    Now in my 20's I was bisexual yet only "loved women" but had sex with men for kicks while I was high. Now in my 50's I'm purely hetersexual . I love all people now there
    are those I don't like. I will say this, homosexuality is a persons free will choice . What's worse -being gay or going to war and kill fellow humans? I had gay men approach me and I let them know
    that I'm no longer in that lifestyle. I didn't/will not put or interfere with any gays unless they harm children but that goes for anyone harming children gay or straight......

3. The Following User Says Thank You to truth4me For This Post:

goinghome2012 (13th February 2012)

4. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 times in 364 posts

I checked several biology texts that I have in the house and surprise, they don't support conk's bigotry.

Conk made an extraordinary claim, that homosexuality was the result of abnormal fetal development. You believe the onus is on -me- to do research to disprove this? That's funny.

The references you cite say nothing about homosexuality being a genetic defect.

Flash, thank you for your constructive comments. If you can point me to a biology textbook which agrees with you I will be glad to study it.
    Why challenge someone else to do your research? Are you too lazy or just set in a predetermined position so that you don't need to question your own position with anything so silly as actual research?

A quick Google will show you position papers for both arguments, some sociological and some neurological. From the University of Texas course Biology 301d, Chapter 23-

Quote Interstitial nucleus of the Anterior Hypothalamus #3. In 1991, Simon LeVay reported a search for sexual preference differences in the size (volume) of 4 brain nuclei in a brain region known as the anterior hypothalamus. Work on rodents had demonstrated that this brain region affected sexual behavior, and work on humans had already identified a male-female difference in tiny regions or ‘nuclei’ of the anterior hypothalamus. LeVay found a difference between heterosexual and gay men in one of these nuclei (#3); the size of INAH3 in gay men was similar to that of (heterosexual) females and smaller than that of heterosexual men.

Other studies have reported brain differences associated with sexual preference. The regions involved (in different studies) have been the suprachiasmatic nucleus, the mid-saggital plane of the anterior commissure, and the isthmus of the corpus callosum.

I think what can be tiring is that some people don't know the difference between discussion and debate. In a discussion, you share ideas and consider things from different angles together. In a debate, you pick a side and defend it while attacking other points of view. I leave it up to you to decide which of these approaches will lead to greater understanding.

Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, does it improve on the silence?

5. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member cowens66's Avatar
    Thanks

Here is Ellen's response. Classic, classy Ellen Degeneres.

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/2012/02/...file_multiline

I don't really know why it should matter to anyone but on the question of "are they born that way?" My partner was born gay, I wasn't.
    We are both people exactly like you. Does anyone understand what "We are all One" really means? We are all just expressions of the same consciousness.

I don't need or want anyone's approval or tolerance, I expect the same rights and respect that any other "expression of consciousness" should expect.

My partner and I don't wish to get married as that is just a false man made institution, but do think about the fact that convicted felons are "allowed" to marry.

Though I have not yet seen it on this thread I have seen many times where being gay is compared to being a pedophile. Stop it. Sexual abuse of any kind is an expression of ones dominance and power over another being. Sexual abuse is usually initiated by heterosexual males and has nothing to do with homosexuality, regardless of whether the victim is of the same gender as the perp or not.

At the end of ED's video she states what she, I and all of the gay people that I know stand for.

I think a discussion of the fact that "Gay" is used to forward different agendas would be a worthy discussion but do keep in mind that there are hearts and souls behind that discussion. Respectfully Cowens

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cowens66 For This Post:

Corncrake (13th February 2012), Whiskey_Mystic (13th February 2012)

7. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

Hey man, I was just answering your question. The entire chapter is on biological determinism. I could care less either way myself. Clearly you entirely missed the point of my post. And that's ok.

I checked several biology texts that I have in the house and surprise, they don't support conk's bigotry.

Conk made an extraordinary claim, that homosexuality was the result of abnormal fetal development. You believe the onus is on -me- to do research to disprove this? That's funny.

The references you cite say nothing about homosexuality being a genetic defect.

"We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

cowens66 (13th February 2012)

9. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

I've looked at several videos of the candidates running for election. Thankfully, Bachmann stepped down.

How can there be so many people out there who actually support these clearly insane people??

These people must be seriously brainwashed, abused, or manufactured. I feel that people who fixate on homophobia are people who only see it as a physical thing; something they are very uncomfortable with. Gays are people first, homosexuals second!

Plus, if these people had satisfying sex lives themselves, I'm sure they wouldn't really care who I slept with.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream by night

10. Link to Post #27
    Canada Avalon Member goinghome2012's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by truth4me (here)
    If we are here to experience soul growth through many life incarnations then the chances are very good you/I have been gay in one of those life incarnations.
    Now in my 20's I was bisexual yet only "loved women" but had sex with men for kicks while I was high. Now in my 50's I'm purely hetersexual . I love all people now there
    are those I don't like. I will say this, homosexuality is a persons free will choice . What's worse -being gay or going to war and kill fellow humans? I had gay men approach me and I let them know
    that I'm no longer in that lifestyle. I didn't/will not put or interfere with any gays unless they harm children but that goes for anyone harming children gay or straight......
    I love your openness, blessings, thanks for that comment.

11. Link to Post #28
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

Does anyone think for a single moment that a 2 year old sissy pants Nancy-boy, that speaks with a s-s-s-s-sibilance, and prefers girls toys made a conscious decision to be gay?!?!?! Dude, brain scans show marked differences between hetero and homosexuals. It's biology, pure and simple. And you have the nerve to call me a bigot? Continue to wallow in your ignorance and hate. I chose to love and demonstate empathy for this segment of humanity.

12. Link to Post #29
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Howard Stern, I love the way he expresses himself.

13. Link to Post #30
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Sierra passed in April 2021.
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,462 times in 5,424 posts

I think biology follows thought, same as any other form of manifestation into 3d. When people incarnate into the opposite gender (which apparently roughly 10% of the human race is doing at any given point in time), it takes a lifetime or so for the mind to catch up with new gender. Hence, homosexuality or bisexuality.

That is my interpretation of how it works, and I'm sticking to it, because if we all cycle through all the preferences, it will keep us honest.

And perhaps a teensy bit more compassionate. Eventually. In some lifetime ...

Meanwhile a collective intent for bullies to be reborn asap in a non-hetero body (wicked snicker) to speed up that Saturnian Lessoning in respect and tolerance for all, might be the way to go. Just imagine ... (and the demographic of non-hetero births will eventually show an odd and stunningly unique spike in the year 2013 ...)

If the statement there is nothing new under the sun is true, this implies we ALL have done it ALL some where, and some when. It also implies we are wiser than we know, understand or accept, so the ability to transcend the issue of hatred and bullying is there, within the human race.

But I wished we'd hurry up. Faster.

Sierra

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2