+ Reply to Thread

Thread: And, Now for Something Completely Different; Scientist,Spider Genes,Bullet Proof Skin

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,961 times in 1,379 posts

Default And, Now for Something Completely Different; Scientist,Spider Genes,Bullet Proof Skin

Scientists are now discussing the possibility of adding silk-producing spider genes into the human genome to produce ‘bulletproof’ skin.

The news comes after testing was done on bioengineered human skin that was grown in a laboratory and mixed with ‘milk’ created from a genetically engineered ‘spider goat‘.

This is a goat that has been genetically tweaked to produce the same protein found in spider silk. Spider goats are transgenic creations that have two key spider genes embedded into their genetic code that enable them to weave extremely strong silk.

Spider silk is much stronger than Kevlar (the material used in traditional bulletproof vests), and scientists are now saying that it could actually be used to create an internal bulletproof skin vest.

The silk is actually 5 times stronger than steel, and is one of the strongest fibers known to man.

While the fibers involved with the creation of the bulletproof skin are not as strong, they are still extremely powerful. It sounds like something out of a science fiction novel, but Dutch scientist Jalila Essaidi says it will soon be a reality.

While she performed tests involving the silk-embedded bulletproof skin vest created in the lab, she discussed the very real possibility of actually replacing human skin proteins with that of a spider.

She said:

“Why bother with a vest: imagine replacing keratin, the protein responsible for the toughness of the human skin, with this spidersilk protein. This is possible by adding the silk producing genes of a spider to the gnome of a human: creating a bulletproof human.”

The lab-grown skin fused with the ‘silk’ is currently capable of withstanding a direct impact from a bullet fired below full speed. Researchers say that the ‘transhumanistic’ idea of the silk vest could make science fiction a reality.

Article Continues Here *click*

More on this in these links:
    Human Modification - Spider Goat Silk to Make 'Bulletproof Human Skin'
    Genetic Engineering - Spider Goats Create One of the Strongest Known Substances
    "Ignoring the evidence is simply another way of ignoring the truth."
    "Reality is always hard to accept whenever it is unpleasant. Our minds play tricks and tell us it just cannot be. Instead of accepting the truth as it is when it disturbs us, we try to deny its existence."

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DreamsInDigital For This Post:

aranuk (18th February 2012), crested-duck (18th February 2012), Ecnal61 (19th February 2012), fifi (18th February 2012), Maia Gabrial (19th February 2012), seko (18th February 2012), Turcurulin (18th February 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,846 times in 452 posts

Default Re: And, Now for Something Completely Different; Scientist,Spider Genes,Bullet Proof

I suppose bulletproof skin would be the final finishing touch for the transhumanism creations being developed at this time. I see it as another nightmare brought to life, and nothing good will come from it.

4. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: And, Now for Something Completely Different; Scientist,Spider Genes,Bullet Proof

I agree, so what about the damage the impact will do to the internals of the body. And once all of this is done, who then owns your body. Look at what is going on with Monsantos and the seeds. Will they then cliam ownership of our bodies?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Precog For This Post:

Maia Gabrial (19th February 2012)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

If its in the news, they've already done it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

DreamsInDigital (18th February 2012), selaviv (19th February 2012)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 times in 385 posts

A;ways been interested in spider goats, thanks for the update.
    "The Perception of an Illusion is Deception, even when you believed it was real! Perception of Deception is not an Illusion at all!" Carl Stoynoff

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,961 times in 1,379 posts

Quote Posted by starchild111 (here)
    If its in the news, they've already done it.
    Mmmhmm, why do you think I used the "And, now for something completely different." some should get the reference, I hope anyway. If even 1/3 of the stuff I've read,heard, been told about regarding the Hybrids (of alien,animals and human combinations), Clones, Synthetics, Robitoids, Cyborgs etc is true....those of the general population could not even begin to imagine how advanced they are. Look at how many clones, robitoids and synthetics are used to fool the public. And, they are none-the-wiser. A good example, I've read once or twice about Human/Animal Hybrids that have wings. Now,I already knew about the ET's from the Pegasus Constellation that are the basis for what people refer to as "angels", but it was interesting when I read about the Human/Animal Hybrids here on Terra that are Winged Humans.
    "Ignoring the evidence is simply another way of ignoring the truth."
    "Reality is always hard to accept whenever it is unpleasant. Our minds play tricks and tell us it just cannot be. Instead of accepting the truth as it is when it disturbs us, we try to deny its existence."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DreamsInDigital For This Post:

Maia Gabrial (19th February 2012), Sidney (18th February 2012)

11. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,409 times in 838 posts

Be nicer if we lived in a world where we didn't need bulletproof skin.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

aranuk (18th February 2012), Maia Gabrial (19th February 2012), selaviv (19th February 2012), Sidney (18th February 2012)

13. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

By the time it would be realized guns would probably be obsolete anyway.
    Last edited by asianricedude; 19th February 2012 at 17:41. Reason: edit first post

14. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,150 times in 3,856 posts

Quote I agree, so what about the damage the impact will do to the internals of the body. And once all of this is done, who then owns your body. Look at what is going on with Monsantos and the seeds. Will they then cliam ownership of our bodies?
    They can claim all they want, they own nothing that belongs to another person: their sovereignty.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Be nicer if we lived in a world where we didn't need bulletproof skin.
    Yeah, I'm with you on that, Orph. And we don't need super soldiers either....

+ Reply to Thread