+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Shape of Things Not Coming, Part 2

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,221 times in 2,274 posts

Default The Shape of Things Not Coming, Part 2

Greetings, Friends!

As promised, I will elaborate on the original consideration here, in Part 2.

Personal Background:

A mentor of mine once noted, "We are not here to change the world, we are here to be changed by the world". In the course of this quicksilver human experience, I have had the opportunity to learn first hand what a precious gift this life really is, and so my gratitiude extends out perpetually. Right from birth I have been humbled in a dance with death -- with the truth of impermanence and fragility. Complications with delivery resulted in the doctors giving me very little chance of surviving, and my mother told me later that they considered my survival something of a miracle. I was to hear this very phrase repeated many times in the years to come. In elementary school, I was stricken with a severe case of bronchial pneumonia, and once again my parents were told my hopes were slim. Still, I came out of it, only to be nearly dragged to my death in an undertow while body-surfing a few years later. I was pulled out past the view of the shoreline, and carried several miles south, until somehow washed up hours later onto the beach. A lot happened during that time alone at sea, and profoundly affected my appreciation for this life. Soon thereafter, I was again to undergo a near-fatal return of the bronchial pneumonia, and spent several weeks in intensive care. A few years later, while tubing white water rapids in a river in the Sierras, I was again subjected to a near fatal episode, and shortly after that, I also nearly died while cliff climbing. The biggest scare of all came with an automobile accident late one night in 1984, in which the car I was driving was pushed at full speed off a cliff and I experienced a powerful near death episode which utterly changed my perception of existence itself. Several years ago, I was diagnosed with a life-threatening form of cancer, which I have so far been successful in managing. All this is meant to serve as a prelude to elaborating on the purposes of the original thread, which was primarily about the way we as individuals in an altenative community can typically miss out in appreciation for the beauty and wonder of the gift of this very life, right here and now, while pre-occupied with dreaming and speculating and hoping and fearing about what may or may not come.

Methodolgy:

I purposely chose a silly sort of introduction in the original post as a kind of tongue-in-cheek spoof or satire of the frequent prognostications we encounter in forums like this. Ranging from the numerous channellers from the Outer Limits, to the self-proclaimed seers foretelling doom scenarios, and on to the tech types like Cliff High and his web bots calling for the end of the world as we know it in his "Shape of Things To Come", I figured that "consulting the Oracle via transpersonal metalink" would be transparent enough, although I see a few nevertheless took it seriously (which says something about our gullibility itself).

The 12 Points:

I synthesized a number of elements in arriving at the 12 points or predictions. Chiefly, I combined probablility analysis, information from sources I have deemed reliable over time, and my own psychic intuition, which has generally served me well. Moreover, I have no particular stake or investment in any outcome, which is fine, since whatever does or doesn't happen cannot then disappoint me. Remember that I was specifically discussing this year, 2012, which has gained a near-hysterical notoriety. For example, I was in having my car smog tested last week, and the mechanic told me that my "knock sensor" was about to go bad. I asked what was required to replace it, and he suggested I not bother, since the world was coming to an end in December.

Psychological Mirror:

The primary aim of this excercise was to provide a kind of reflection to ourselves of our individual and group psyche relative to these matters. Another of my mentors once remarked that the only obstacle to our happiness was attachment to the past, but I would add that attachment to the future is also a hindrance. Those expecting and hoping for some extraordinary change or dramatic event may be simply trying to avoid the boredom, doubt, and discomfort inherent in everyday existence. Buddha, in his First Noble Truth, articulated the principle that life is "Dukkha", translated as "dissatisfaction", and so no wonder people are looking for some way out. Paradoxically, I have come to realize that the only way out is by going all the way in -- facing the boredom, the doubt, and the discomfort squarely, seeing through them, and releasing them at the heart as mere errors of judgment and appreciation. I have posted previously about this subject, but I'll re-post here for those who may not have read it the first time.

Life is filled with dissatisfaction. This sense of dissatisfaction generally arises from wanting things to be other than they are. When our desire is thwarted, we feel upset. Now, some will suggest supressing the symptoms of this dissatisfaction by stuffing oneself with food and toxins, or getting laid, or taking one's mind off their problems by watching TV, etc., but these strategies typically only serve to postpone our having to face what's really going on internally, that provoke the original sense of dis-ease.
    In fact, we are always stimulating the motor and thinking mechanisms to overcome boredom, doubt, and discomfort and achieve well-being and pleasure. But those very mechanisms, by being constantly stimulated and brought to a point of achieving some sort of enjoyment, become insatiable. We require more and more remarkable stimulations of body and mind to achieve a relative degree of pleasure. The more we think, for example, the more extraordinary our thinking must become to satisfy us. We become addicted to the pursuits we can engage through motor activity and thought, and we are constantly agitated by this motivation. We feel always haunted by our limitations, our difficulties, or boredom, doubt, and discomfort.

When we feel uncomfortable, we generally employ some physical means for achieving release or a sense of pleasure. Social life, sexuality, pizza and ice cream, all kinds of physical activities are used as means for overcoming chronic discomfort. Likewise, because boredom is an emotional state, we are always seeking emotional stimulation through entertainments, the play of our relationships, aesthetic enjoyments. And we always seek to overcome doubt through activities of the mind, through reading, pursuing conventional knowledge, participating in speculative internet forums, daydreaming about trips to Neptune, and so on.

In the typical setting of the usual life, these means, physical, emotional, and mental, are constantly, chronically, in every moment, used in pursuit of a sense of pleasure, well-being, and release from these chronic difficulties. Fascination with ascension schemes, space operas, world endings, alien involvements, conspiracy rumors, etc. all serve to distract us from the fundamental condition of boredom, doubt, and discomfort at the core of our experience.

We keep hoping that something will happen externally to change this sense of dissatisfaction with existence, maybe some kindly ET will appear to give us free energy, for example, but it never does, because nothing that has happened, is happening, or will happen in the external world has the power to touch and heal the internal conflict and sense of separation from Source we perceive at the heart of our being. In other words, we are always attempting to modify our experience by placing our bets on external changes, but this strategy is bound to fail, since only an internal revolution at the heart will break the spell of our self-imposed bondage.

So, how does such a revolution come about? Here's a thoughtful piece that addresses this subject with some clarity:

"The real search isn’t a search into tomorrow, or to anywhere other than now. It’s starting to look into the very nature of this moment. In order to do that, you have to “stand in your own two shoes,” as my teacher used to say. What she meant by “standing in your own two shoes” is you have to look clearly into your own experience. Stop trying to have someone else’s experience. Stop chasing freedom or happiness, or even spiritual enlightenment. Stand in your own shoes, and examine closely: What’s happening right here and right now? Is it possible to let go of trying to make anything happen? Even in this moment, there may be some suffering, there may be some unhappiness, but even if there is, is it possible to no longer push against it, to try to get rid of it, to try to get somewhere else?
    I understand that our instinct is to move away from what’s not comfortable, to try to get somewhere better, but as my teacher used to say, “You need to take the backward step, not the forward step.” The forward step is always moving ahead, always trying to attain what you want, whether it’s a material possession or inner peace. The forward step is very familiar: seeking and more seeking, striving and more striving, always looking for peace, always looking for happiness, looking for love. To take the backward step means to just turn around, reverse the whole process of looking for satisfaction on the outside, and look at precisely the place where you are standing. See if what you are looking for isn’t already present in your experience.
    So, again, to lay the groundwork for awakening, we must first let go of struggling. You let go by acknowledging that the end of struggle is actually present in your experience now. The end of struggle is peace. Even if your ego is struggling, even if you’re trying to figure this out and “do it right,” if you really look, you might just see that struggle is happening within a greater context of peace, within an inner stillness. But if you try to make stillness happen, you’ll miss it. If you try to make peace happen, you’ll miss it. This is more like a process of recognition, giving recognition to a stillness that is naturally present.
    We’re not bringing struggle to an end. We’re not trying to not struggle anymore. We’re just noticing that there is a whole other dimension to consciousness that, in this very moment, isn’t struggling, isn’t resentful, isn’t trying to get somewhere. You can literally feel it in your body. You can’t think your way to not struggling. There isn’t a three–point plan of how not to struggle. It’s really a one–point plan: Notice that the peace, this end of struggling, is actually already present.
    The process is therefore one of recognition. We recognize that there is peace now, even if your mind is confused. You may see that even when you touch upon peace now, the mind is so conditioned to move away from it that it will try to argue with the basic fact of peace’s existence within you: “I can’t be at peace yet because I have to do this, or that, or this question hasn’t been answered, or that question hasn’t been answered, or so–and–so hasn’t apologized to me.” There are all sorts of ways that the egoic mind can insist that something needs to happen, something needs to change, in order for you to be at peace. But this is part of the dream of the mind. We’re all taught that something needs to change for us to experience true peace and freedom.
    Just imagine for a moment that this isn’t true. Even though you may believe that it’s true, just imagine for a moment: What would it be like if you didn’t need to struggle, if you didn’t need to make an effort to find peace and happiness? What would that feel like now? And just take a moment to be quiet and see if peace or stillness is with you in this moment."

~Excerpted from Falling Into Grace: Insights on the End of Suffering by Adyashanti

In conclusion, I hope this discussion has served some benefit in helping us to inspect and understand some of the mechanisms involved in our attitudes towards the immediate future. As I mentioned in reply to one poster in the original thread, I in no way am attempting to downplay the very real challenges facing us as individuals and as a collective as we move forward into the unknown before us. However, I do feel that I have accomplished the purpose for which I was brought here to Avalon, and so now will slip into the background and refrain from further comments.

Blessings to All, and may All awaken to their own inherent Joy and Freedom!

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,049 times in 934 posts

Default Re: The Shape of Things Not Coming, Part 2

Bob, don't go too far away...

and you mentioned Adyashanti...

Last edited by gooty64; 19th February 2012 at 19:14.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gooty64 For This Post:

Alekahn (21st February 2012), another bob (20th February 2012), Jenci (21st February 2012), jorr lundstrom (20th February 2012), mosquito (20th February 2012)

4. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Member goinghome2012's Avatar
    Thanks

Blessings Bob, thanks for your wisdom. Yes people are on their spiritual life journey's as individuals and as a collective. But is doesn't mean that cycles don't come and close. Every 12,000 years cycles come and close. Every 25,000 years cycles come and close and also every 5,000 years cycles. We are on the cusp of all these cycles closing soon.

If nothing happens I will be amazed.

The Mayans, the Incas, the Hopis, the Aztecs, the Egyptians, the Buddhists, the Muslims, the Jews, the Christians all say the end times are here. The end of the old and the beginning of the new.

In my mind I believe it is end game, omega point, we have experienced all that we have and now we shall experience a lot more because we as humanity deserve it.

peace and love

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goinghome2012 For This Post:

another bob (20th February 2012), gripreaper (20th February 2012)

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member EnergyGardener's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,647 times in 455 posts

Quote Methodolgy:

I purposely chose a silly sort of introduction in the original post as a kind of tongue-in-cheek spoof or satire of the frequent prognostications we encounter in forums like this. Ranging from the numerous channellers from the Outer Limits, to the self-proclaimed seers foretelling doom scenarios, and on to the tech types like Cliff High and his web bots calling for the end of the world as we know it in his "Shape of Things To Come", I figured that "consulting the Oracle via transpersonal metalink" would be transparent enough, although I see a few nevertheless took it seriously (which says something about our gullibility itself).
    another bob,

Perhaps Avalonians will not repeat the "gullibility" by responding to you in the future?

Fool me once....

Freedom and Prosperity,

EnergyGardener
    Last edited by EnergyGardener; 19th February 2012 at 22:52.
    What Happens to Us, Is Less Important, Than; How We React, When It Does
    -and-
    What Happens to Us, Is Less Important, If; We are Prepared, When It Does - US Copyright 2003

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EnergyGardener For This Post:

another bob (20th February 2012)

8. Link to Post #5
    Sweden Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,114 times in 1,725 posts

Jorr

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jorr lundstrom For This Post:

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

OMG Bob, Here is a thought. You are a pleidian, and your ancestors are the cat people, because you have nine lives!!!!(LOL, jk) You have certainly had a lot of spiritual growth inducing experiences. Thank you for sharing, and I do understand your stop and smell the roses message/attitude., as your life experience has given you an insight that individual to you.

But I personally cannot go through each and every day denying the realities and baggage of our modern day existence. I guess I will just have to agree to disagree. (is that allowed on this thread??)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,920 times in 1,827 posts

Quote Posted by another bob (here)
    "... Stop chasing freedom or happiness, or even spiritual enlightenment. Stand in your own shoes, and examine closely: What’s happening right here and right now? ...
    We’re just noticing that there is a whole other dimension to consciousness that, in this very moment, isn’t struggling, isn’t resentful, isn’t trying to get somewhere. You can literally feel it in your body. ...[It is] peace’s existence within you....
    We’re all taught that something needs to change for us to experience true peace and freedom.
    Just imagine for a moment that this isn’t true. Even though you may believe that it’s true, just imagine for a moment: What would it be like if you didn’t need to struggle, if you didn’t need to make an effort to find peace and happiness? What would that feel like now? And just take a moment to be quiet and see if peace or stillness is with you in this moment."

~Excerpted from Falling Into Grace: Insights on the End of Suffering by Adyashanti

...{I} now will slip into the background and refrain from further comments.
    Bob has described it all so eloquently, any further concepts are superfluous.

I just want to say, kind of repeating some of Adyashanti's words above: yes, indeed, just simply feel inside you what it is like to exist. Feel how OK, and even maybe how peaceful and joyful that is. Just feel it. Sense it. Taste it, drink it. Just keep experiencing that inner feeling whenever you are reminded. Get fully in touch with your feelings, but above all please do get fully in touch with the feeling/sensation/awareness that underlies everything, including all that you are.

Everybody can do this, any time. Most infants do it most of the time. Remember??
    Last edited by TraineeHuman; 20th February 2012 at 00:59.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TraineeHuman For This Post:

another bob (20th February 2012), gooty64 (20th February 2012), mosquito (20th February 2012), Orph (20th February 2012)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,979 times in 5,652 posts

Great Words BOB, And Thank You For Sharing Your Blissful Story Within The Community. As For 2012,,, IMHO It's not the end, but just a new and wonderful beginning of our sub-human race. So Buckle Up, It's Gonna Be Some Ride That Awaits Us Just Up Ahead. And Welcome To The Machine!

"Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

another bob (20th February 2012), Explodey (20th February 2012)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,739 times in 1,371 posts

Thank you Bob, this is precisely what I joined Avalon for. and as Trainee Human says, no further comment is required, I only hope that all our members can read this post and live the wisdom it contains.
    Philip

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosquito For This Post:

Alekahn (21st February 2012), another bob (20th February 2012), Jenci (21st February 2012), shijo (20th February 2012), TraineeHuman (20th February 2012)

18. Link to Post #10
    Canada Avalon Member goinghome2012's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by gooty64 (here)
    Bob, don't go too far away...

and you mentioned Adyashanti...

what a beautiful video, thanks for posting, i resonate with his message.

peace

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goinghome2012 For This Post:

another bob (20th February 2012), Jenci (21st February 2012)

20. Link to Post #11
    Sweden Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,114 times in 1,725 posts

Well Bob, I´ll post from Juan Ramon Jiminez, El viaje definitivo,
    as its one of my favorites.

And I will leave...
    but the birds will stay, singing.
    And My garden will stay.
    With it's green tree, and it's water well.
    Many afternoons the bells in the bellfry will chime,
    much as they are this very afternoon.
    Those whom I have loved will pass away,
    but my spirit will allways wander recondite,
    in this flowery corner of my garden.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jorr lundstrom For This Post:

another bob (20th February 2012), Jenci (21st February 2012)

22. Link to Post #12
    UK Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,971 times in 881 posts

Quote Posted by another bob (here)
    In conclusion, I hope this discussion has served some benefit in helping us to inspect and understand some of the mechanisms involved in our attitudes towards the immediate future. As I mentioned in reply to one poster in the original thread, I in no way am attempting to downplay the very real challenges facing us as individuals and as a collective as we move forward into the unknown before us. However, I do feel that I have accomplished the purpose for which I was brought here to Avalon, and so now will slip into the background and refrain from further comments.

Blessings to All, and may All awaken to their own inherent Joy and Freedom!

Thank you Bob for it all.

It's ALL Grace.

Jeanette

+ Reply to Thread