+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gurdjieff - On how our Sun and the planets can affect us Negatively

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 times in 436 posts

Default Gurdjieff - On how our Sun and the planets can affect us Negatively

This was posted on Rumor Mill News today and I find it relatively accurate (in my estimation)....as I too had an experience with our Sun last year (a vision that it affects us).

Enjoy!

snip

The Solioonensius
    Time of Planetary Tension and War

"To know means to know all. Not to know all means not to know. In order to know all, it is only necessary to know a little. But, in order to know this little, it is first necessary to know pretty much." - Gurdjieff

An entry at Disinfo.com called "Solioonensius Rising" sent me off refreshing my mind about this term "solioonensius" used by Gurdjieff to refer to a cyclical period of planetary tensions and unusual solar activity. I wondered if we have entered such a period now. Disinfo links to an article at the BBC about the unusual number of sunspots right now, a 1000 year high. It also links to a blog entry which speculates about whether we have entered another cycle of G.'s solioonensius.
    Gurdjieff was famous for making up new strange words for things and concepts which were a part of his teaching. For example the law that governs the increase of frequency over an octave, also called "the law of seven," Gurdjieff called "heptaparaparshinokh." And the collateral law of triads, or "the law of three," he called "triamazakamno." His grand opus "All And Everything" is filled with these intriguing neologisms. It was part of Gurdjieff's teaching that wars on earth were the result, not of politics, but of planetary tensions, including solar activity. Thus the root word of solar, "sol," is found in his word "solioonensius."
    Here are some things I found on the net about "solioonensius." One article is the text of a speech. The speaker refers to the solioonensius:

"Gurdjieff himself referred to it by one of his neologisms, as solioonensius, the time of planetary tension which energizes the earth so people strive for freedom - then turn that striving for freedom into war or the equivalent of war, into destruction. It is, according to Gurdjieff's own theory, a time when certain new directions can be implanted into general culture."

In the blog entry above I was surprised to find my own previous article on this topic linked. Also quoted is J. G. Bennet, one of Gurdjieff's most intelligent and prolific followers, who reflects on the solioonensius. Bennet fully believed Gurdjieff's contention that human wars were the unhappy result of planetary and solar tensions, and said that it was a supreme example of mankind's helplessness. Man thinks it is he himself, and his political maneuverings which give rise to war, but in fact it is a hapless state of consciousness induced from without that is the primary cause.
    In another article the author quotes from the famous book "In Search of the Miraculous" by another one of Gurdjieff's disciples. This book is often the first book read by those wanting to investigate the Gurdjieff teachings.

"In his famous book In search of the miraculous, the Russian mathematician and mystic P.D Ouspensky recorded a number of conversations he had with his erstwhile teacher, G. I. Gurdjieff, who was certainly one of the most enigmatic people of the 20th century. During one of these conversations, which took place in 1917, during the First World War, Gurdieff explained how wars are started not by people but rather planets; that warfare is a response to psychic tensions and is not, as some believe, politics by other means. "

'The conversation began with my question: "Can war be stopped?" And G. answered: "Yes it can." And yet I had been certain from previous talks that he would answer: "No, it cannot.

"But the whole thing is: How?" he said. "It is necessary to know a great deal in order to understand that. What is war? It is the result of planetary influences. Somewhere up there two or three planets have approached too near to each other; tension results. Have you noticed how, if a man passes quite close to you on a narrow pavement, you become all tense? The same tension takes place between planets. For them it lasts, perhaps, a second or two. But here, on the earth, people begin to slaughter one another, and they go on slaughtering for maybe for several years. It seems to them at the time that they hate one another; or that perhaps they have to slaughter each other for some exalted purpose; or that they must defend somebody or something and that it is a very noble thing to do; or something else of the same kind. They fail to realise to what extent they are mere pawns in the game. They think they signify something; they think they can move about as they like; they think they can decide to do this or that. But in reality all of their movements, all their actions, are the results of planetary influences. And they themselves signify literally nothing. Then the Moon plays a big part in this. But we will speak about the moon separately. Only it must be understood that neither Emperor Wilhelm, nor generals, nor ministers, not parliaments, signify anything. Everything that happens on a big scale is governed from outside, and governed either by accidental combinations of influences or by general cosmic laws."'[Copyright P. D. Ouspensky, In Search of the Miraculous, pp.23-24, Routledge and Kegan Paul, London, 1950]

The same author then goes on to quote even more extensively from J. G. Bennett speaking about this idea of the planetary tensions being responsible for the state of mind which causes men to go to war.

'Our attitude towards war is altogether false. We tend, as a matter of course, to regard war as the result of the intentional action of some wicked man or group of men or of some nation with a lust for conquest and power. Wars appear, to both sides engaged in them, as defense against some aggression or as necessary for the furthering of some worthy or even sacred cause. Even those who most detest war and are prepared to sacrifice their liberty, or even their lives, to save themselves from becoming involved in it, conceive it as a wicked action, deliberately undertaken.

'In reality, war is not like this at all. It is a terrible madness that overtakes mankind, when people lose even the little sense of reality they usually have. War is the supreme manifestation of human helplessness. This applies to all forms of mutual destruction, whether revolution and civil war within a nation or armed conflict between nations and the peoples of the world.

'War has a twofold origin. The first is outside of man and arises independently. The second is within man and is due to his own weakness and failure. From time to time a special state of tension arises on the earth, which Gurdjieff calls the state of "Solioonensius." This state of tension arises from the relations between the planets. I do not mean by this that it is something supernatural or mysterious. It is a perfectly natural process, connected with the changes in the balance of electrical and other energy in the solar system. For example, it is already suspected by science that the occurrence of sunspots has an effect upon the human psyche.

'It may help you to understand what I mean by calling Solioonensius a perfectly natural process if you consider a simple phenomenon, well-known to all. I refer to the effect in Great Britain of the east wind, or in the Mediterranean of the sirocco. When the east wind blows, people become irritable and nothing seems to go right. I once became interested in this because I wanted to see whether it was a real or an imaginary effect. I asked a number of people to observe carefully and let me know as obiectively as possible whether they could detect a state of inner tension caused by the east wind. Nearly everyone confirmed that a state of irritability did, in fact, arise in them even before they were aware that the east wind was blowing.

'In a more subtle and pervasive manner, great regions of the earth's surface, and sometimes even the whole of the earth, become subject to a state of tension that produces in people a strong sense of dissatisfaction with their conditions of life. They become irritable or aggressive, apprehensive, nervous and highly suggestible. Gurdjieff said that knowledge of Solioonensius existed thousands of years ago, and that he took the term from a very ancient tradition. At the present time, its significance has been forgotten or lost.

'The point is that there are two completely different ways in which people can react to a state of Solioonensius. It always arouses dissatisfaction, but this may be external or internal. External dissatisfaction leads to external conflict; internal dissatisfaction strengthens the desire to struggle with oneself. Those who understand the necessity for working on themselves and achieving the second destiny find in that state of tension the greatest possibility of incentive and force to make them work harder. But those who do not have this feeling, this realization, project outwards their dissatisfaction and become hostile and angry with other people-suspicious, jealous and the rest of it- and then, defenseless against these mass psychoses, begin to hate. And the very people who, only a few years before, could not conceive of themselves consenting to the idea of war become involved in the destruction of other people. And those other people, passing through the same mass psychosis with the same justification, wish in turn to destroy their existence.

'It is possible by careful study of history and of various psychological processes to verify this. And once you understand it, you will see that there is no way by which war can be stopped other than by making people understand the necessity for this work. Otherwise, they have no defense against this state of tension; no contrivances, no organization, no good resolutions can avail, because there is a physio-chemical process involved. This state of tension must produce the result. We do not know when such a state of tension will come over the world again. When it is absent, we do not feel war as something possible, but when it approaches, nothing can be done unless an idea can come into the world that can act on a sufficiently large number of people to enable them to turn this force in a different direction.

'This is one reason why the change - the transition period - from one epoch to another, from one world to another, is a dangerous period. Old ideas have lost their momentum and can no longer move the world. New ideas have not yet gained momentum. All through history, and even before the beginning of history, we find such periods accompanied by war and revolution, not because war and revolution are inevitable in themselves but because people have lacked that discrimination that would enable them to use this situation rightly. If we are able to go into a world in which this is understood, then the course of history can be different, because the destiny of all mankind can be raised to a higher level. There is no higher purpose in the life of man than to bring about this great transition.

'If a new world is to come, we must first create it in ourselves. You may ask how the work of a few people can change the world. It has always been so. Ideas are powerful, not organizations. Nothing can be done by outward force; everything can be done by inner strength.'

[Copyright J.G. Bennett, Is there "Life" on Earth, Bennett Books, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA].

end snip

Read the rest at:
    Link: http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin...cgi/read/51955
    Last edited by eileenrose; 20th February 2012 at 10:07.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eileenrose For This Post:

Calz (21st February 2012), CdnSirian (20th February 2012), GaelVictor (20th February 2012), jade (20th February 2012), MorningSong (20th February 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 times in 436 posts

Default Re: Gurdjieff - On how our Sun and the planets can affect us Negatively

When I had my first experience of our sun and the influence it has on us, I was pleasantly surprised. It would seem nonsense if it hadn't (had any effect on humanity). And later, when I realized (for myself) that indeed, the planets did also affects us (a whole other topic), I accepted that as well. The world is still full of surprises.

On the article itself, this may well be why people go to war and I do like how he organizes his thoughts, they are so easy to follow. I read about Gurdjieff a couple of years ago and this is the first article of his I have put forth. It reads well (as I recall he didn't even write English well and spent years on writing projects).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eileenrose For This Post:

MorningSong (20th February 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,492 times in 2,185 posts

Default Re: Gurdjieff - On how our Sun and the planets can affect us Negatively

Very interesting....

"Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

+ Reply to Thread