+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whales and dolphins 'should have legal rights'

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Avalon Member Black Panther's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,849 times in 847 posts

Default Whales and dolphins 'should have legal rights'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...?newsfeed=true

Campaign for intelligent marine mammals to have right to life, which would protect
    them from hunters and captivity.

Campaigners who believe that dolphins and whales should be granted rights on
    account of their intelligence are to push for the animals to be protected under
    international law.

A group of scientists and ethicists argues there is sufficient evidence of the
    marine mammals' intelligence, self-awareness and complex behaviour to enshrine
    their rights in legislation.

Under the declaration of rights for cetaceans, a term that includes dolphins,
    whales and porpoises, the animals would be protected as "non-human persons"
    and have a legally enforceable right to life.

If incorporated into law, the declaration would bring legal force to bear on
    whale hunters, and marine parks, aquariums and other entertainment venues
    would be barred from keeping dolphins, whales or porpoises in captivity.

"We're saying the science has shown that individuality, consciousness and
    self-awareness are no longer unique human properties. That poses all kinds
    of challenges," said Tom White, director of the Centre for Ethics and Business
    at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles.

"Dolphins are non-human persons. A person needs to be an individual. And if
    individuals count, then the deliberate killing of individuals of this sort is ethically
    the equivalent of deliberately killing a human being. The captivity of beings of
    this sort, particularly in conditions that would not allow for a decent life,
    is ethically unacceptable, and commercial whaling is ethically unacceptable," White said.

The group spoke at the annual meeting in Vancouver of the American Association
    for the Advancement of Science, to raise support for the declaration among
    scientists and the visiting public. The 10-point declaration sets out a framework
    to protect cetaceans' "life, liberty and wellbeing", including rights to freedom
    of movement and residence in their natural environment, and protection
    against "disruption of their cultures".

"The next step is taking the science and advocating for law in different places,
    from a regional point of view, from a national point of view, and eventually from
    a multinational and international view," said Chris Butler-Stroud of the Whale and
    Dolphin Conservation Society.

Decades of research on cetaceans, and dolphins in particular, has revealed that
    their brains, while markedly different from humans, are large, complex and capable
    of sophisticated behaviour. Observations of dolphins have shown that they can
    recognise themselves, use tools and understand symbols and abstract concepts.

In 2001, Lori Marino of Emory University in Atlanta, who is promoting the declaration,
    tested whether dolphins recognised themselves by drawing temporary marks on different
    parts of their bodies and watching them check the mark by swimming up to an immersed
    mirror. "When we did that with two dolphins they passed with flying colours," she said.

Orcas off Patagonia displayed a seemingly extraordinary act when an aged member
    of the group suffered jaw damage and could no longer eat properly. The whale's
    companions kept the animal alive by feeding it. "The animal, we would say, was past
    its sell-by date, an older creature. They must have conceptualised that if it wasn't
    fed, something would have happened to it, and they were able to work out what
    was needed to keep it alive," said Butler-Stroud.

At the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies in Mississippi, a dolphin named Kelly
    outwitted its human keepers and passed on some of its tricks to its offspring.
    Dolphins at the centre were rewarded with fish if they collected litter from their
    anks and carried it in their mouths to the staff but Kelly found a weakness in the
    scheme. When people dropped paper into her tank, she hid it under a rock on the
    bottom. When a keeper next approached, she swam down and tore a small piece off,
    and returned to the surface to claim her reward. She worked out that a small
    piece of paper earned the same reward as a big piece, and so maximised her meals.

Then one day, Kelly managed to grab a gull that flew into the tank. When she delivered
    it to her keepers, she got an especially large fish reward. The next time Kelly was fed
    she hid the fish at the bottom of the pool, and later brought it to the surface to lure
    more gulls into the pool. The strategy proved so successful that she taught her offspring,
    who went on to teach others.

Though much of the declaration is intended to bring pressure on whaling nations and
    venues that keep cetaceans in captivity, the document has major implications for
    conservation programmes and environmental assessments that impinge on communities
    of dolphins, whales and other cetaceans.

As an early step, the special rights for cetaceans are being considered by the UN as part
    of its convention on migratory species, which aims to protect migrating species over their
    entire ranges.

Enshrining the rights in law could be some time, though. "If we are lucky it could take
    10 years," said White. "We are at the stage of climate scientists 20 years ago.
    This is the first step."
    Remember Who You Are!

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Black Panther For This Post:

Art (22nd February 2012), jjjones (23rd February 2012), Kerrigan (22nd February 2012), misericordia (22nd February 2012), Nathalie (22nd February 2012), NeverMind (22nd February 2012), Orph (22nd February 2012), Reirrac (22nd February 2012), Samsara (23rd February 2012), seantimberwolf (22nd February 2012), shadowstalker (22nd February 2012), starsha (22nd February 2012), transitionalman (22nd February 2012), WhiteFeather (22nd February 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 times in 222 posts

Default Re: Whales and dolphins 'should have legal rights'

Nothing in this world pains me more than to see harm come to these amazing beings.

Thank you Panther.
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." --Rumi

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to starsha For This Post:

Art (22nd February 2012), jjjones (23rd February 2012), Kerrigan (22nd February 2012), misericordia (22nd February 2012), NeverMind (22nd February 2012), WhiteFeather (22nd February 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,971 times in 5,651 posts

Great Thread! I totally agree. Thanks for Sharing this. Peace
    "Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

NeverMind (22nd February 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,049 times in 934 posts

In 1972 Olivia Newton-John cancelled a tour of Japan due to their "abuse" of dolphins.

She wrote this song.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gooty64 For This Post:

Black Panther (22nd February 2012), jjjones (23rd February 2012), misericordia (22nd February 2012), NeverMind (22nd February 2012), Samsara (23rd February 2012), WhiteFeather (22nd February 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,180 times in 550 posts

Quote Posted by WhiteFeather (here)
    Certainly it is a most worthy subject; but since a few people already commented in the other thread, perhaps they could be merged?
    Anyway, I expressed my opinion here. :-)
    Last edited by NeverMind; 22nd February 2012 at 01:27.
    ET SI OMNES, EGO NON

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeverMind For This Post:

Black Panther (22nd February 2012), misericordia (22nd February 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,971 times in 5,651 posts

Nice tune Goot. Words are awesome and inspiring to many I'm sure.
    "Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

12. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

all animals on this planet have the right to life. humans dont have the right to pick and choice. if humans are this stupid to think they do then we have a lot of growing to do.

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 times in 1,148 posts

I agree that it's a good idea to protect whales and dolphins but why not protect all creatures?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

misericordia (22nd February 2012), Samsara (23rd February 2012)

15. Link to Post #9
    Netherlands Avalon Member Black Panther's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,849 times in 847 posts

Quote Posted by NeverMind (here)
    Quote Posted by WhiteFeather (here)
    Certainly it is a most worthy subject; but since a few people already commented in the other thread, perhaps they could be merged?
    Anyway, I expressed my opinion here. :-)
    I always check and double check if there is also another thread about the same subject.
    This time didn't find it. It's ok to merge of course.

16. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cjay (here)
    I agree that it's a good idea to protect whales and dolphins but why not protect all creatures?
    All creatures should be protected and all life respected. Life is precious in all forms. But the thing with dolphins is that their consciousness level is very high. Scientists say it is around the level of a three year old human, but having spent many many hours with them in the wild i can attest that they are much much more conscious than humans are. Sure they are animals (like we are) and they can be territorial and attack other species even at times, but in my experience with them i would say they are more aware than the average human is.

They have the ability to heal people quite dramatically, and they are also telepathic. I can't tell you have many times i had to prove it to myself to make sure that they really were reading my thoughts and that i wasn't imagining it.

Anyway, my point is, we can all agree as a culture that it isn't right to take a three year old child and chain her up in a basement. Our society agrees that that crime is equivalent to life in prison. Yet we 'kidnap' dolphins, take them away from their family and place them in captivity, and people don’t bat an eye about it. They pay money to watch them 'perform.' If they have proven that dolphins have the awareness level of a three year old child, how can we be OK with this?

The thing is, dolphins are happy wherever they are, and so they (the dolphins) let this go on, and they don't fight it. But i feel someone should fight this on their behalf.

As far as the slaughtering and other crimes against them i would fight for any animal against that. Animal cruelty is barbaric, selfish, and immature, and it's time that humans grew out it.
    Last edited by starsha; 22nd February 2012 at 14:39.
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." --Rumi

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to starsha For This Post:

Black Panther (22nd February 2012), jjjones (23rd February 2012), misericordia (22nd February 2012), seantimberwolf (22nd February 2012)

18. Link to Post #11
    Great Britain Avalon Member seantimberwolf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 times in 332 posts

You only have to look at a dolphins eyes and smile to know they are like us.
    its a very human and narrow minded veiw to assume they are not as intelligent as us just because they never got round to inventing war, guns and dirty earth damaging technology.
    They adapted to there environment as we should have.
    Progress of a species is in the mind not what it creates.

The native Americans where testimony to that.
    But apprently the genocide of a native culture is just a by product of civilisation.
    And people wonder why I ****ing hate our race.
    SeanTW (now angry)
    "And if one man could stand tall, There would be hope for us all, Somewhere in the spirit of man!"

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seantimberwolf For This Post:

Black Panther (22nd February 2012), jjjones (23rd February 2012), misericordia (22nd February 2012)

20. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by seantimberwolf (here)
    You only have to look at a dolphins eyes and smile to know they are like us.
    its a very human and narrow minded veiw to assume they are not as intelligent as us just because they never got round to inventing war, guns and dirty earth damaging technology.
    They adapted to there environment as we should have.
    Progress of a species is in the mind not what it creates.

The native Americans where testimony to that.
    But apprently the genocide of a native culture is just a by product of civilisation.
    And people wonder why I ****ing hate our race.
    SeanTW (now angry)
    Don't get me wrong, i do agree with you .... but something tells me that hating the haters that hurt things, doesn't really help matters.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starsha For This Post:

Black Panther (22nd February 2012), jjjones (23rd February 2012)

22. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,061 times in 906 posts

Thanks Black Panther for this Tread.

All whales and dolphins but also all the animals ressources that live amongst us, that stand as food, that stand as our subsistence, etc...!

All the best to you.

Deega

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Deega For This Post:

jjjones (23rd February 2012)

+ Reply to Thread