+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CDC Condems Raw Milk

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Default CDC Condems Raw Milk

You probably heard the latest about the CDC condemnation of raw milk. Reps. from the Weston Price Fountion retaliated by disputing their statistics and claims. The CDC surely must think we are very stupid, unfortunatly many of us are. Thanks to Sally Fallon for keeping those of us who wish to know on track in a complicated issue.

Quote:
    Setting the record straight. Please help us spread the word, the CDC report is
    biased and our response details why:

CDC CHERRY PICKS DATA TO MAKE CASE AGAINST RAW MILK
    Agency ignores data that shows dangers of pasteurized milk
    WASHINGTON, DC, February 22, 2012. In a press release issued yesterday, authors
    affiliated with the Centers for Disease Control claim that the rate of outbreaks
    caused by unpasteurized milk and products made from it was 150 times greater
    than outbreaks linked to pasteurized milk.” The authors based this conclusion on
    an analysis of reports submitted to the CDC from 1993 to 2006.

According the Weston A. Price Foundation, the CDC has manipulated and cherry
    picked this data to make raw milk look dangerous and to dismiss the same dangers
    associated with pasteurized milk.

“What consumers need to realize, first of all,” said Sally Fallon Morell,
    president of the Weston A. Price Foundation, “is that the incidence of foodborne
    illnesses from dairy products, whether pasteurized or not, is extremely low. For
    the 14-year period that the authors examined, there was an average of 315
    illnesses a year from all dairy products for which the pasteurization status was
    known. Of those, there was an average of 112 illnesses each year attributed to
    all raw dairy products and 203 associated with pasteurized dairy products.
    “In comparison, there are almost 24,000 foodborne illnesses reported each year
    on average. Whether pasteurized or not, dairy products are simply not a high
    risk product.”

Because the incidence of illness from dairy products is so low, the authors’
    choice of the time period for the study affected the results significantly, yet
    their decision to stop the analysis with the year 2006 was not explained. The
    CDC’s data shows that there were significant outbreaks of foodborne illness
    linked to pasteurized dairy products the very next year, in 2007: 135 people
    became ill from pasteurized cheese contaminated with e. coli, and three people
    died from pasteurized milk contaminated with listeria
    (wwwn.cdc.gov/foodborneoutbreaks/Default.aspx).

Outbreaks from pasteurized dairy were also a significant problem in the 1980s.
    In 1985, there were over 16,000 confirmed cases of Salmonella infection that
    were traced back to pasteurized milk from a single dairy. Surveys estimated that
    the actual number of people who became ill in that outbreak were over 168,000,
    “making this the largest outbreak of salmonellosis ever identified in the United
    States” at that time, according to an article in the Journal of the American
    Medical Association.

According to Fallon Morell “In the context of the very low numbers of illnesses
    attributed to dairy in general, the authors’ decision to cut the time frame
    short, as compared to the available CDC data, is troubling and adds to questions
    about the bias in this publication.”

According to Fallon Morell, the CDC’s authors continue to obscure their study by
    failing to document the actual information they are using. They rely on reports,
    many of which are preliminary. Of the references related to dairy outbreaks,
    five are from outbreaks in other countries, several did not involve any illness,
    seven are about cheese-related incidents, and of the forty-six outbreaks they
    count, only five describe any investigations.

Perhaps most troubling is the authors’ decision to focus on outbreaks rather
    than illnesses. An “outbreak” of foodborne illness can consist of two people
    with minor stomachaches to thousands of people with bloody diarrhea. In
    addressing the risk posed for individuals who consume a food, the logical data
    to examine is the number of illnesses, not the number of outbreaks.
    “The authors acknowledge that the number of foodborne illnesses from raw dairy
    products (as opposed to outbreaks) were not significantly different in states
    where raw milk is legal to sell compared with states where it is illegal to
    sell,” notes Judith McGeary of the Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance. “In other
    words, had the authors looked at actual risk of illness, instead of the
    artificially defined “outbreaks,” there would have been no significant results
    to report.”

This does not end the list of flaws with the study, however. The link between
    the outbreaks and the legal status of raw dairy mixed an entire category of
    diverse products. Illnesses from suitcase style raw cheese or queso fresco were
    lumped together with illnesses attributed to fluid raw milk, a much less risky
    product. In the majority of states where the sale of raw fluid milk is allowed,
    the sale of queso fresco is still illegal. The authors had all of the data on
    which products were legal and which products allegedly caused the illnesses, yet
    chose not to use that data.

Similarly, to create the claimed numbers for how much riskier raw dairy products
    are, the authors relied on old data on raw milk consumption rates, rather than
    using the CDC’s own food survey from 2006-2007. The newer data showed that about
    3 percent of the population consumes raw milk—over nine million people--yet the
    authors chose instead to make conclusions based on the assumption that only 1
    percent of the dairy products in the country are consumed raw.

The authors also ignored relevant data on the populations of each state. For
    example, the three most populous states in the country (California, Texas, and
    New York) all allow for legal sales of raw milk; the larger number of people in
    these states would logically lead to larger numbers of illnesses than in
    low-population states such as Montana and Wyoming and has nothing to do with the
    fact that raw milk is illegal in those states.

“It would hardly be surprising to see some sort of increase in foodborne
    illnesses related to a food where that food is legal,” said McGeary. “If we
    banned ground beef, we’d see fewer illnesses related to ground beef products.
    Yet this new study fails to prove even that common-sense proposition, even as it
    claims to prove a great deal more. What the data really shows is that raw dairy
    products cause very few illnesses each year, even though the CDC data indicates
    that over 9 million people consume it.”

The Weston A. Price Foundation is a 501C3 nutrition education foundation with
    the mission of disseminating accurate, science-based information on diet and
    health. Named after nutrition pioneer Weston A. Price, DDS, author of Nutrition
    and Physical Degeneration, the Washington, DC-based Foundation publishes a
    quarterly journal for its 13,000 members, supports 500 local chapters worldwide
    and hosts a yearly conference. The Foundation headquarters phone number is (202)
    363-4394, www.westonaprice.org, info@... e-mail address is
    being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Contact: Kimberly Hartke, Publicist, The Weston A. Price Foundation
    press@... e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You
    need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    703-860-2711, 703-675-5557

http://www.westonaprice.org/press/cd...e-against-raw\
    -milk
    Share this in your newsletters, by email to your sphere, and on social media.
    Add your comments, and let your influence add to the opposition to the U.S.
    government campaign against this nutritious and healing food.
    Kimberly Hartke, WAPF Publicist
    The Campaign for Real Milk
    http://realmilk.com
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 23rd February 2012 at 22:43.

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Anchor (25th February 2012), blufire (25th February 2012), Carmen (26th February 2012), CdnSirian (24th February 2012), cowens66 (24th February 2012), DianeKJ (24th February 2012), Eram (24th June 2012), giovonni (27th February 2012), haibane (26th February 2012), Kindred (24th February 2012), Lettherebelight (25th February 2012), Maria Stade (27th February 2012), Marin (26th February 2012), Providence (25th February 2012), Referee (24th February 2012), shadowstalker (24th February 2012), Siberia9 (24th February 2012), Sierra (24th February 2012), sirdipswitch (24th February 2012), Siren Master (25th February 2012), ThePythonicCow (23rd February 2012), Wind (24th February 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member sirdipswitch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,166 times in 1,683 posts

Default Re: CDC Condems Raw Milk

Arrowwind, thank you so much for posting this artical. Through one of the links that you provided, I have found some new markets, to purchase my raw milk and organic produce. Yes, I am a firm believer in Natural. I am my own "Doctor"! I have allways just followed my Fathers advice; "I'm 67",
    "If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself"!

sirdipswitch

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sirdipswitch For This Post:

Anchor (25th February 2012), conk (24th February 2012), DianeKJ (24th February 2012), Eram (24th June 2012), giovonni (27th February 2012), Maia Gabrial (25th February 2012), Maria Stade (27th February 2012), Siberia9 (24th February 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Oh by the way, just in case you're wondering; diabeties, prostate cancer, heart arithmia... gone, all gone. Did it myself. Anyone with a computer can do thier own research, and do it thier self also. Just like I did.

sirdipswitch

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sirdipswitch For This Post:

Anchor (25th February 2012), Arrowwind (24th February 2012), conk (24th February 2012), cowens66 (24th February 2012), Eram (24th June 2012), giovonni (27th February 2012), Maia Gabrial (25th February 2012), Maria Stade (27th February 2012), Siberia9 (24th February 2012), spiritwind (25th February 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by sirdipswitch (here)
    Oh by the way, just in case you're wondering; diabeties, prostate cancer, heart arithmia... gone, all gone. Did it myself. Anyone with a computer can do thier own research, and do it thier self also. Just like I did.

sirdipswitch

Thank you for your testimonial, sirdipswitch.

. As long as people believe in their medical doctors they will have disease for these doctors know no cure and hence cannot provide any pathway to cure. They will take away your hope, depress your spirit, mutalate your body and take you on to the trail of long term chronic disease, if they dont leave you for dead first, while making you believe every step of the way that you have done all that you can.

Dont you believe it for one second.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

conk (24th February 2012), Eram (24th June 2012), giovonni (27th February 2012), Maia Gabrial (25th February 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Agreed.

sirdipswitch

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sirdipswitch For This Post:

Eram (24th June 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,709 times in 914 posts

I know a dairy farmer who sells raw milk to drop in customers only.

He says he would never consider putting anything else on his cornflakes.

By the way, his herd grazes outdoors...on grass. No growth hormones and no antibiotics. The way it should be.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lettherebelight For This Post:

Carmen (26th February 2012), Eram (24th June 2012), giovonni (27th February 2012), Maia Gabrial (25th February 2012), Maria Stade (27th February 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,150 times in 3,856 posts

Of course the CDC will do this. Just like the FDA. They have the mistaken notion that they have a right to impose their ways on a sovereign nation.
    I've been saying all along, YOU are your own authority over what is right for you. NO ONE in any stinking govt agencies can do that for you.
    You have Inalienable rights. You have your Sovereignty.....
    It does my heart good to hear about success stories like sirdiswitch's.....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maia Gabrial For This Post:

Eram (24th June 2012), giovonni (27th February 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,709 times in 1,042 posts

Let’s consider one step farther . . . does this dairy farmer grow and make his own natural corn flakes?

He pasture feeds his dairy cows and no growth hormones and antibiotics, good deal

BUT

Does he eat GMO cornflakes with herbicides and pesticides and genetically mutated amino acids or grow his own non-gmo corn and make his own flakes?

Quote Posted by Lettherebelight (here)

By the way, his herd grazes outdoors...on grass. No growth hormones and no antibiotics. The way it should be.

16. Link to Post #9
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I think I can safely say there will always be those of us who will continue to provide raw milk to people who will seek us out.

I have sold several thousands of gallons of raw goat and cow milk. My customers have always come to my farms to “meet the family” and observe my operation . . . .but it cuts both ways . . . I observe them as well. I will not provide milk to an individual until they have come to my farm two or three times . . . usually I can tell right away if they will be a good customer and/or if they are just trolling to get information or make trouble.

The most important thing I can say is support your local farmers and be their advocate in any way you can. We farmers, whether it is organic produce or dairy do this more out of love and desire to provide healthy food . . . . when it comes down to the very bottom line we make next to no income. Hourly salary is not even considered . . . . my hourly salary would be a very large red number.

We will always be here for you . . . . seek and you will find us . . .

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

If I lived in your area I would be there but, I live at the other end of the country in Eastern Washington. I do purchsae locally though. I must confess that I was chuckling when you mentioned someone doing health food and still eating "junk" food. ME! To a T! I just try to keep stuffing enough healthy stuff down my troat to compensate for the unhealthy stuff. I'm a firm believer in something I read in the bible. Nothing that you put into your mouth will harm you, that which comes out of your mouth will lead unto death. hmm. Be very carefull of the words you speak.

LOVE and PEACE
    sirdipswitch

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sirdipswitch For This Post:

blufire (26th February 2012), Eram (24th June 2012), giovonni (27th February 2012)

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Nope, not a bible thumper, I'm a Theosophical Intervensionist.CC

sirdipswitch

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sirdipswitch For This Post:

blufire (26th February 2012), Eram (24th June 2012), giovonni (27th February 2012)

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

It is illeagal for anyone except farmers to sell raw milk in the uk but I know a veg box scheme that will give you it "free" if you buy something else at a higher price than normal, it is very popular and often sold out when I go.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to unicorny For This Post:

Eram (24th June 2012), giovonni (27th February 2012), Lettherebelight (26th February 2012)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

There is a company in either New Zealand or Austraila, and actually I think I heard about it on this forum,
    the woman sells her raw milk and calls it Cleopatras Bath and says that it is absolutle pure and fresh on the lable and when you take it home
    you can use it for what ever you feel like using it for...

Here's her site. Its a real Hoot and I greatly admire her guts and fortitude to do what she does.
    http://www.angelfire.com/folk/rawmilk/

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Eram (24th June 2012), giovonni (27th February 2012), Maria Stade (27th February 2012)

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by blufire (here)
    Let’s consider one step farther . . . does this dairy farmer grow and make his own natural corn flakes?

He pasture feeds his dairy cows and no growth hormones and antibiotics, good deal

BUT

Does he eat GMO cornflakes with herbicides and pesticides and genetically mutated amino acids or grow his own non-gmo corn and make his own flakes?

I don't know the answer to your question. That's just what he told me. I didn't think to ask him about his cornflakes.

I was just glad he was selling me raw milk and his cows looked happy and healthy.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lettherebelight For This Post:

Eram (24th June 2012), giovonni (27th February 2012), Maria Stade (27th February 2012)

27. Link to Post #15
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hi lettherebelight . . . I was being a little ornery . . . . just prodding people to think a little further.

One step at a time.

Does your farmer give you the cream with the milk you get or does he skim it off?

BUT

I don't know the answer to your question. That's just what he told me. I didn't think to ask him about his cornflakes.

I was just glad he was selling me raw milk and his cows looked happy and healthy.

28. Link to Post #16
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I love stories like these.

I lived in a state where it was illegal to sell raw milk or you has to be registered with the state and pay outlandish fees. BUT, raw milk, especially goat milk could be sold for “animal use only” and had to be labeled that way and so that is what we did. . . .

We printed up fun labels that said “Animal Use Only” . . . .For the two legged and four legged and for the furry and furless

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)
    There is a company in either New Zealand or Austraila, and actually I think I heard about it on this forum,
    the woman sells her raw milk and calls it Cleopatras Bath and says that it is absolutle pure and fresh on the lable and when you take it home
    you can use it for what ever you feel like using it for...

Here's her site. Its a real Hoot and I greatly admire her guts and fortitude to do what she does.
    http://www.angelfire.com/folk/rawmilk/

29. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Hi Blufire,

No worries.

It all goes straight in to a cooling vat with a big lid and he ladles it out of there into whatever container you've brought.

The cream gradually rises to the top...usually after you get it home...Good stuff.

One thing I don't like about it is that the cows are milked by a machine...not very nice at all. Cows should really only be milked by hand or by calf!

cows
    (This pic is not the farm I'm speaking about, but another farm where they hand milk)
    Last edited by Lettherebelight; 26th February 2012 at 21:43.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lettherebelight For This Post:

31. Link to Post #18
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Okay . . .this may come to a surprise to those reading this post but I think I may have to agree with the CDC on this.

After reading Letherebelight’s response to one of my posts regarding the farmer where she gets her raw milk and his milking practices, I went back to reread parts of the OP.

There is a world of difference between the raw milk that is produced on my farm (small operation, 10 goats and one Jersey cow)) and raw milk that comes from a farm that mass produces milk.

I either hand milk or use a small milk machine that only holds the milk from one animal at a time. The machine has minimal plastic tubing (about 4 feet) that is thoroughly disinfected after each milking session and the rest of the equipment is stainless steel and therefore easily maintained and cleaned.

Each animal is personally handled, cleaned, observed and loved on before milking and therefore if there is any question that the animal is sick, that animal is separated and the milk is destroyed.

In a large operation, the milk travels through many yards of plastic tubing (changed rarely because of expense) and every cow’s milk is combined in one large vat or container. Milking many animals two and three times a day is very time consuming and in a large operation they are rushed through with little to no personal attention or observation. Bacteria build quickly in that plastic tubing and every ounce of milk goes right through it.

Many large operations use antibiotics regularly whether the animal is sick or not. I would also check to see if the farmer uses growth hormones to force the cow to produce an abundance of milk which then causes mastitis.

So the CDC is probably right in their conclusion, that is, if the raw milk is drawn out of a vat where 25 or more cows are milked a day, 2x a day. There is more than likely lots of bacteria (not the good kind), blood and pus (from over stimulation of mammary glands and rough handling), feces, antibiotics, growth hormones and more.

They (the CDC) are not taking small well maintained operations into consideration here. I’m sorry . . . I know trying to find any source of raw milk is hard enough but . . . . I have to suggest strongly that you only get raw milk from small operations where cleanliness and health of the animals are the top priority.

LuLu . . . . one of my girls in Kansas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1171.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	14182  
    Last edited by blufire; 26th February 2012 at 21:46.

32. Link to Post #19
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,429 times in 21,488 posts

I either hand milk or use a small milk machine that only holds the milk from one animal at a time.
    Bless you.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

34. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Yay for you big time, Blufire.

Yes, those machines that milk hundreds of cows don't always stop when the milk is gone and they can keep sucking until they are actually drawing blood. Cows respond to being touched, calmed and spoken to...they let their milk down naturally.

Of course, the yield will be less than in a big commercial situation...but it will be plenty, and of a higher quality.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lettherebelight For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast