+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have you thought about your food today?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Amysenthia's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 times in 372 posts

Default Have you thought about your food today?

I work in the cardiology specialty of medicine and today was one of those days. I spent a day of watching patients come and go that had various medical issues that could all be traced to their diets. So today I decided that I would start a conversation with each one about how they decided to eat what they do. I asked each patient if they look for organic food, do they know what genetically modified food is, etc. I am sure that everyone can guess what 95% of the people answered.

Since I want to add to this forum in a positive way I today felt compelled to post what I consider basic information on what to watch for in the foods we eat so that you are not making an appointment to talk to me.

If you are interested in more info let me know and I will post more articles. For many of you this is very basic stuff. I guess I am asking what are the members here interested in knowing more about?

I really feel a need to remind everyone today to make better choices about what they put into their bodies. Sometimes I just assume that everyone knows what to look for when choosing what to eat. It can be very tricky! I will post more if there is interest.

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Amysenthia For This Post:

albativo (28th February 2012), Alekahn (28th February 2012), Annacarl (5th March 2012), Camilo (29th February 2012), Caren (28th February 2012), DoubleHelix (28th February 2012), Earth Angel (29th February 2012), East Sun (28th February 2012), frances (27th February 2012), haibane (28th February 2012), jorr lundstrom (5th March 2012), K626 (29th February 2012), ktlight (29th February 2012), Lettherebelight (27th February 2012), lyubomir (28th February 2012), modwiz (29th February 2012), NancyV (29th February 2012), PixieDust (29th February 2012), Samsara (28th February 2012), Solstyse (5th March 2012), sunflower (29th February 2012), take (5th March 2012), Tarka the Duck (28th February 2012), ThePythonicCow (28th February 2012), transitionalman (29th February 2012), Watching from Cyprus (29th February 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Have you thought about your food today?

I am very interested and welcome your wisdom, so please continue to pass on your knowledge. Thank you Frances.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frances For This Post:

Lettherebelight (27th February 2012), Samsara (28th February 2012), Tarka the Duck (28th February 2012), transitionalman (29th February 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Here's a thread I just started on a Dr that focuses on nutritional deficencies; one of the only "health suplements" that has FDA backing (as he's beaten them in court 7 times proving his products DO have healthy bennifits)

the more I read on this individual the more intrigued I am.

Dr Joel Wallach
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...r-Joel-Wallach
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Alekahn (28th February 2012), Caren (28th February 2012), frances (28th February 2012), Lettherebelight (29th February 2012), modwiz (29th February 2012), NancyV (29th February 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Food Matters: https://youtube.com/watch?v=LoccBtYDpt4 "...Monsanto isn't evil, their just stupid..." That's a Dan Winter Quote, he is not in the movie Food Matters, but he is a really amazing scientist for understanding health. Good Luck, Semnyi p.s. Dan Winter : goldenmean.info

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Semnyi For This Post:

frances (28th February 2012), K626 (29th February 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Borden

Thank for this thread, Amysenthia. I've just watched the clips and found them informative and rather horrifying, so I'd just like to state my interest, and hope you post more good information like this.

Borden

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Borden For This Post:

Cjay (29th February 2012), frances (28th February 2012), transitionalman (29th February 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Thanks all that have responded. Is there an area of interest in particular that people are curious about. I know that the Avalon crowd is not the usual population and I don't want to bore people with info they already know.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amysenthia For This Post:

frances (28th February 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    Borden

Thanks for asking, Amysenthia,

Speaking for myself, I'm interested in what I believe they call the stone age diet. Bread and excess carbohydrates seem to be one of the big, largely unnoticed problems of the modern western diet. As a once vegan, now pescatarian, I'm also interested in the role essential fatty acids play in human health.

In a broader sense, I think it's very useful to see clips like the ones you posted. To see experts talking about what really unhealthy, toxic foods actually do to the human body has far more impact than a vague idea some people have that fast food, for instance, is linked only to obesity. It's a lot more dangerous than that, as you can obviously explain a lot better than I ever could. I think if more people knew some of the unspoken horrors of the food industry they would make better choices. Unfortunately, the supermarket shelves are full of poisonous rubbish, and this is a sort of subconscious message that it's all okay to eat. As an example, when I first learned a bit about GM food it had an impact on me (horrified me), and I avoid it like the plague as a result of that information. Vague ideas that something is unhealthy don't really sink in, because we live in a world of too much information, and therefore can all too easily zone out the really important stuff.

Thanks,

Borden

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Borden For This Post:

DoubleHelix (28th February 2012), frances (28th February 2012), Lettherebelight (29th February 2012), modwiz (29th February 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

Quote Posted by Borden (here)
    ...I'm also interested in the role essential fatty acids play in human health....Thanks,

Borden
    You can do no better than to study Dr. Johanna Budwig. Her books are available cheaply and are profoundly truthful and helpful. Briefly, you must consume great quantities of raw, unheated, unprocessed fats. Dr. Mercola now believes we should adhere to a diet that is 50 to 80 percent fat!!! Coconut oil, real and fresh olive oil (not easy to find), avocadoes, grass-fed meats (saturated fats have been demonized unjustly), and others will contribute to excellent health.

Surprisingly, the electrical properties of fats are the key.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

frances (28th February 2012), sunflower (29th February 2012)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Thanks for asking, Amysenthia,

Speaking for myself, I'm interested in what I believe they call the stone age diet. Bread and excess carbohydrates seem to be one of the big, largely unnoticed problems of the modern western diet. As a once vegan, now pescatarian, I'm also interested in the role essential fatty acids play in human health.
    Some recent research has suggested that the most beneficial fatty acids are the short chain. Such as those that come from Flax seed oil. Versus long chain which come from the Omega rich foods like Salmon. The short chain fatty acids are better able to attach to the oxidants that cause our body damage. (That's why anti-oxidants are so valuable in the diet).

Another good article about how the evil ones like Monsanto are attempting to make even more harmful GM foods can be found on this great website. http://www.naturalnews.com/035093_GM..._toxicity.html.
    I don't understand why anyone would argue that this is not an Illuminati controlled company, with high level scientific biological warfare going on here. I am surprised that they do not have a Georgia guidestone like sculpture in front of corporate headquarters. They are definitely doing their part to cull the herds.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amysenthia For This Post:

frances (29th February 2012), modwiz (29th February 2012), Nathalie (29th February 2012)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

i try to eat a vegan diet but if your on benefits in england its so hard to avoid gmo food and processed meat since its so cheap and everywhere, i hate myself for eating this junk because i always feel like crap
    nothing ever changes unless you make it change

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to im awake For This Post:

frances (29th February 2012), Lettherebelight (29th February 2012), transitionalman (29th February 2012)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 times in 1,148 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    ...I'm also interested in the role essential fatty acids play in human health....Thanks,

Borden
    You can do no better than to study Dr. Johanna Budwig. Her books are available cheaply and are profoundly truthful and helpful. Briefly, you must consume great quantities of raw, unheated, unprocessed fats. Dr. Mercola now believes we should adhere to a diet that is 50 to 80 percent fat!!! Coconut oil, real and fresh olive oil (not easy to find), avocadoes, grass-fed meats (saturated fats have been demonized unjustly), and others will contribute to excellent health.

Surprisingly, the electrical properties of fats are the key.

Source: https://youtube.com/watch?v=kYyMkpofO-U

Source: https://youtube.com/watch?v=jya6kcOEMUU

Hemp seed oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory, better than fish oil, better than NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and WAY better than steroids. The powerful anti-inflammatory effects can be achieved by eating the oil (preferably add it to protein rich foods, to avoid diarrhea) or by applying the oil directly to the skin.

Hemp seed oil tastes great - it has a slightly nutty flavour. I sometimes take a tablespoon of hemp seed oil straight from the bottle.

I often make a salad dressing using hemp seed oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, basil, coriander and chili. The salad dressing tastes so good, I could eat the dressing alone.

I also make highly nutritious chocolate "medicine" using one cup each of hemp seed oil, chopped walnuts, hemp seed meal (what's left after oil is extracted from the seeds), flax seed meal, plus 2 cups of desiccated coconut, 3 cups of coconut oil and about 1 kg of dark cooking chocolate. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.

One of the best types of containers for hemp seed oil is a light-proof can like in the picture below. It is usually packaged in these cans using nitrogen gas to purge the air, so there is no oxygen in the can to oxidize the oil, thus extending the shelf-life to about 1 year (when refrigerated).

Antioxidant preservatives like vitamin E are sometimes added but 100% organic oils do not contain any preservatives.

If you can't find it in cans, look for it in dark coloured GLASS bottles, such as the one pictured below:

Hemp seed oil MUST BE REFRIGERATED or it will quickly go rancid. If it smells bad or tastes bad, it is probably rancid. Do not buy hemp seed oil that is not stored in a refrigerator. When stored in a refrigerator, shelf-life is about 1 year. When stored in a freezer, shelf-life is about 5 years.

Hemp seed oil is one of the world's best skin moisturizers - it is rapidly absorbed into ALL layers of the skin.

Hemp seed oil is great for dry, damaged hair. Apply hemp seed oil directly to your hair or just add hemp seed oil to your diet.

Among other things, hemp seed oil is great for:
    • Improving skin conditions such as Eczema, Psoriasis and acne.
    • Soothing painful sunburn, preventing blistering and peeling.
    • Burns.
    • Reduces pain and swelling from Arthritis, Osteoporosis, etc.
    • Can reverse premenstrual syndrome.
    • Useful in treating degenerative diseases.
    • Enhances immune functions.
    • Can improve blood pressure.
    • Has cholesterol lowering abilities.
    • Asthma (due to anti-inflammatory properties)
    • Muscle and joint aches

Recommended reading:
    Hempseed as a nutritional resource: An overview
    by J.C. Callaway
    Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Kuopio, FIN-70211 Kuopio, Finland
    http://www.finola.com/Hempseed%20Nutrition.pdf

Nutritional and Medicinal Guide to Hemp Seed
    http://hghealth.com/pdf/res_2.pdf

The Cardiac And Haemostatic Effects Of Dietary Hempseed
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/content...-7075-7-32.pdf

Nutritional Profile and Benefits of Hemp Seed, Nut and Oil
    http://www.drbronner.com/pdf/hempnutrition.pdf

The Composition of Hemp Seed Oil and Its Potential as an Important Source of Nutrition
    http://www.davoil.ro/documente/the-c...-nutrition.pdf

Hemp Seed Oil - Nutritional Information
    http://www.hempseedoil.eu/files/Hemp_Seed_Oil.pdf

Hemp Seed: The Most Nutritionally Complete Food Source In The World
    Part 1: http://www.ratical.org/renewables/hempseed1.html
    Part 2: Hemp Seed Oils And The Flow Of Life Force
    http://www.ratical.org/renewables/hempseed2.html

Benefit from hemp seed and hemp food nutrition
    http://www.naturalnews.com/031334_he...nutrition.html

Why Are Hemp Seeds The World's Most Nutritious Seeds?
    http://www.antioxidants-for-health-a...emp-seeds.html

Lots of hemp seed nutrition info and links here:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/24...eds-nutrition/
    Last edited by Cjay; 29th February 2012 at 07:36.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

CdnSirian (29th February 2012), conk (29th February 2012), frances (29th February 2012), K626 (29th February 2012), modwiz (29th February 2012)

23. Link to Post #12
    Borden

Great stuff, Cjay, thanks for those resources,

hemp seeds are a regular part of my diet already, but maybe now I'll start buying the oil too. With the seeds, which by the way in England anyway are completely legal and can be found in health food shops, I soak them for about 24 hours, rinsing them a couple of times, and then just munch them. They're so nutritious, and your body tells you when something's doing you good.

Borden

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Borden For This Post:

Cjay (29th February 2012), frances (29th February 2012), modwiz (29th February 2012), transitionalman (29th February 2012)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Here are both parts of the 2nd video in the OP (part 2 was missing in the OP).

Source: https://youtube.com/watch?v=2UVMLTk8Z4U

Source: https://youtube.com/watch?v=dcpe6wCfNoE

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

CdnSirian (29th February 2012)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Great stuff, Cjay, thanks for those resources,

hemp seeds are a regular part of my diet already, but maybe now I'll start buying the oil too. With the seeds, which by the way in England anyway are completely legal and can be found in health food shops, I soak them for about 24 hours, rinsing them a couple of times, and then just munch them. They're so nutritious, and your body tells you when something's doing you good.

Borden
    Hi Borden, it's a pleasure meeting you here. Thanks to your interest in essential fatty acids, I dug out all that info to share with everyone here.

Australia is the only "industrialised" nation on Earth where hemp is prohibited by law from being sold as food. It cracks me up to see NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION in big red letters above the directions for use! Seriously.

Currently, those laws in Australia are under review. Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) have recommended strongly that the laws be changed so that hemp food can be sold for human consumption in Australia.

The Ministers, however, are extremely ignorant, arrogant, brainwashed and, I suspect, paid off by the criminal conspirators who caused the original prohibition in 1937 (in USA) and later worldwide via the UN. I have personally written to the Ministers in the government and the opposition in an attempt to educate them. If they are unteachable, it doesn't matter because they will be gone in a few months and someone else will occupy their seats. I'm NOT going away.

By the way, I am not obsessed with hemp but I am passionate about it. Before I get off my hemp soap box and get back to the topic of this thread, I want to share this:

Quote Well, what would you say if there was such a plant that could substitute for all wood pulp paper, all fossil fuels, would make most of our fibers naturally, make everything from dynamite to plastic, grows in all 50 states and that one acre of it would replace 4.1 acres of trees, and that if you used about 6% of the U.S. land to raise it as an energy crop, even on our marginal lands, this plant would produce all 75 quadrillion billion BTUs needed to run America each year? Would that help save the planet?
    Jack Herer, from his bestselling book The Emperor Wears No Clothes

I think we should eat a balanced diet of nutritious, fresh, NATURAL foods - not grossly over-priced, highly-processed junk food and not "frankenfoods" that have been genetically modified in laboratories.

Quote Eat These Twenty Foods for A Long Life, Says British Scientist

British scientist Gary Williamson, professor of "functional foods" at Leeds University, has released a list of the top foodstuffs that he believes can lead to longevity.

What makes these foods so special, he contends, is that they are rich in naturally occurring phytochemicals including tannins, lignins and flavonoids, that research has shown have a host of health benefits, including offering protection from cardiovascular disease by boosting the function of cells that line the inside of the blood vessels.

"Epidemiology studies support the protective effects of polyphenol-rich foods. Lack of these components in the diet, because of low intake of fruit and vegetables, increases the risk of chronic disease. This means that they are essential to fulfill the maximum individual lifespan, and so I propose that they are 'lifespan essential'," Prof. Williamson said in a statement to the UK media. He added that the foods on his list, which are primarily fruits and vegetables, can help slow the process of aging because they protect cells from the normal wear-and-tear that occurs with time.

So what's included on Prof. Williamson's list of longevity super foods? Here's are what he dubs the "Lifespan Essentials":
    * apples
    * blackberries
    * black tea
    * blueberries
    * broccoli
    * cereal bran
    * cherries
    * cherry tomatoes
    * coffee
    * cranberries
    * dark chocolates
    * green tea
    * oranges
    * peaches
    * plums
    * raspberries
    * red grapes
    * red onions
    * spinach
    * strawberries

Surprised to find a scrumptious treat like dark chocolate on the list? Researchers like Prof. Williamson have found it is rich in flavonoids that reduce "bad" cholesterol (low density lipoproteins, or LDL) and also make blood platelets less likely to clump together and cause heart attack and stroke producing clots.

Coffee may also seem like an unlikely "super food" because too much caffeine is known to cause jitters, upset stomach and even heart palpitations in some people. However, in moderation, coffee has been found to be a natural health-enhancer. Consider this: Harvard researchers analyzed data on 126,000 people for as long as 18 years and found that drinking caffeinated coffee daily can drastically reduce diabetes risk ( by as much as 54% for men and and by 30% in women).

What's more, half a dozen studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's. Other research indicates that compared to not drinking coffee, at least two cups of daily java can lower the risk of colon cancer by 25% reduced risk of colon cancer and nearly half the risk of gallstones.
    Source: http://www.naturalnews.com/024565_fo...th_coffee.html

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

CdnSirian (29th February 2012), frances (29th February 2012), modwiz (29th February 2012)

29. Link to Post #15
    Borden

Hi Cjay,

It's a pleasure to meet you here too, and thanks so much for this good info. I can't believe you can't buy hemp in Australia! It seems absolutely crazy that one of the healthiest foods for human beings should be anything other than readily available for everybody at a cheap price. 'Not for human consumption'? That is INSANE! But yeah, let's face it - it's not really our health that big business and governments are concerned about! I certainly hope that FSANZ can get the law amended in Australia.

Borden
    Last edited by Borden; 29th February 2012 at 10:41.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Borden For This Post:

Cjay (29th February 2012), frances (29th February 2012), modwiz (29th February 2012)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Something to warm our hearts.

http://texascreek.wordpress.com/category/amaranth/
    http://www.organicconsumers.org/mons...weed092105.cfm

Basically, Monsanto has a nightmare: Palmer amaranth (Palmer pigweed), which spreads like crazy and is pesticide resistant. It's a well deserved nightmare. It's bad enough we have to pay to house, clothe and feed ourselves, if these guys want to own all of the world's seeds...

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nathalie For This Post:

frances (29th February 2012), modwiz (29th February 2012)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

I believe that a weed is just a plant in a place where it is not wanted. If any part of that amaranth is edible, it could be a wonderful thing. If not, then use the biomass to make biofuel. Then it will no longer be considered a weed.

But you are right - Monsanto IS a nightmare!

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

frances (29th February 2012), modwiz (29th February 2012)

35. Link to Post #18
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Quote Posted by Semnyi (here)
    Food Matters: https://youtube.com/watch?v=LoccBtYDpt4 "...Monsanto isn't evil, their just stupid..." That's a Dan Winter Quote, he is not in the movie Food Matters, but he is a really amazing scientist for understanding health. Good Luck, Semnyi p.s. Dan Winter : goldenmean.info
    I beg to differ. Monsanto is evil. It is all about owning the food production market at every level and controlling it. Even controlling if you get seeds or not and thereby controlling supply. Based on a monopolistic ideal, there is no stupidity in their evil approach. Any apologist for Monsanto is highly suspect to me and I am not willing to invest minutes of my life, (the video is 77 minutes long) to find out if there is any info in his obvious disinfo. I'll use his approach and say he is not a shill but just stupid.

36. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cjay (here)
    I believe that a weed is just a plant in a place where it is not wanted. If any part of that amaranth is edible, it could be a wonderful thing. If not, then use the biomass to make biofuel. Then it will no longer be considered a weed.

But you are right - Monsanto IS a nightmare!
    It's definitely edible, that's the good news!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaranthus_palmeri
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...mer-s-Amaranth
    http://www.delange.org/Amaranth/Amaranth.htm

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nathalie For This Post:

Cjay (5th March 2012), frances (29th February 2012), modwiz (29th February 2012)

38. Link to Post #20
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Quote Posted by Amysenthia (here)
    Thanks all that have responded. Is there an area of interest in particular that people are curious about. I know that the Avalon crowd is not the usual population and I don't want to bore people with info they already know.
    They're more usual than they know. The biggest difference is this population is at least open to questioning the programming and habits they are afflicted with, and that is a very good thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast