+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glue and other material for mending broken things (prep list)

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

Default Glue and other material for mending broken things (prep list)

Repost from PAv1.
    ----------------------

Things break, and when the shops are out of stuff, or things are not being manufactured anymore, then you need to have some stocks of equipment and materials at hand in order to mend broken stuff.

Here is a little list to get you thinking. Please feel free to respond with any stuff I left out or further ideas:

Consolidated list so far

Duct tape. (Duck tape). "Gaffer tape" I am sure the universe is held together with this stuff really. Expensive, but very useful to have on hand in an emergency.

Glue - There are many kinds, have a broad spectrum of different glues that are suitable for a wide range of materials. Sniffing mentioned as an alternative use. To include “Shoe goo” - Unified Serenity
    (NB: Technically this is regular polyurethane glue ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_Goo ) , but it is a good example of the kinds of reasons you need to have a good range of different types)

Araldite - ensure your selection contains Araldite (Epoxy Resin) - for when you have the time to let it cure, this is hard to beat as a glue. If it can bond concrete joins in the Sydney Opera house, then you can be sure it will be good for mending your stuff ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araldite )

Epoxy putty - this is a putty that comes in two parts like Araldite - when mixed it starts the epoxy curing process. Very strong, and can be waterproof. Universal mending agent - bit like duct tape.

Hot glue - my favorite, with a glue gun like this http://www.justtools.com.au/prod855.htm there is not much you cant stick - other brands are available, no preference, they are all good! Get lots of glue sticks!

Wire. Give me wire and duct tape and I can fix anything – sleepingnomore, (also wire coat-hangers!)

Screws & nails - shred, (should probably add nuts and bolts to this as well)

Tie wraps (Zip Ties) – Dantheman62

Needles and thread. Sewing awl for leather and heavier materials. Fabric glue and iron-on mending tape or iron-on patches for patching. – Jnana

A heavy duty staple gun and staples.

Don't forget a heavy duty pair of scissors and a knife sharpenersleepingnomore

Sellotape http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellotape

Electricians PVC tape

Self annealing tape

Rolls of aluminimum foil

String

Thanks for the contributions - really good - if there are any more, keep them coming..
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

CeltMan (20th November 2011), MargueriteBee (31st January 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Default Re: Glue and other material for mending broken things (prep list)

hammer with claw
    stanley knife
    set of alan keyes/hex keys
    set of screwdriver
    hand saw

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,790 times in 463 posts

aluminium tape oh and a pair of scissors but you can get swiss army knives with a selection of knives on including a corkscrew and some even have scissors on them.

5. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member luking's Avatar
    Thanks

FWIW, I was reading a Tom Brown book yesterday and he described a glue you can make from melted pine pitch and wood ashes. A Google search of "pine pitch glue" returned some helpful results.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to luking For This Post:

Anchor (31st January 2011)

7. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by luking (here)
    FWIW, I was reading a Tom Brown book yesterday and he described a glue you can make from melted pine pitch and wood ashes. A Google search of "pine pitch glue" returned some helpful results.
    I saw that video, freaking amazin! i love bushcraft. you can make an easy storable torch using the pine pitch glue.
    ~From Mexico With Love~

8. Link to Post #6
    Australia Avalon Member str8thinker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 times in 530 posts

Reminds me of an old saying: The only two things you need in life are duct tape and WD-40 (spray lubricant). If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.

Of course, it also depends on your location.

Quote This is a photograph I took at the northern tip of Baffin Island when I went narwhal hunting with some Inuit people, and this man, Olayuk, told me a marvelous story of his grandfather. The Canadian government has not always been kind to the Inuit people, and during the 1950s, to establish our sovereignty, we forced them into settlements. This old man's grandfather refused to go. The family, fearful for his life, took away all of his weapons, all of his tools. Now, you must understand that the Inuit did not fear the cold; they took advantage of it. The runners of their sleds were originally made of fish wrapped in caribou hide. So, this man's grandfather was not intimidated by the Arctic night or the blizzard that was blowing. He simply slipped outside, pulled down his sealskin trousers and defecated into his hand. And as the feces began to freeze, he shaped it into the form of a blade. He put a spray of saliva on the edge of the **** knife and as it finally froze solid, he butchered a dog with it. He skinned the dog and improvised a harness, took the ribcage of the dog and improvised a sled, harnessed up an adjacent dog, and disappeared over the ice floes, **** knife in belt. Talk about getting by with nothing. (Laughter)

- Wade Davis, Endangered Cultures
    Beware the bearers of FALSE gifts & their BROKEN PROMISES. Much PAIN but still time. BELIEVE. There is GOOD out there. We OPpose DECEPTION. COnduit CLOSING.
    - Crabwood crop circle, 2002.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to str8thinker For This Post:

Mike Gorman (20th November 2011)

10. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 times in 496 posts

deleted
    Last edited by noxon medem; 13th February 2011 at 10:05.

11. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Pine resin sets like glass, but is just as brittle, hence the introduction of cold charcoal. Also, you can use saliva and bluebell bulbs. Don't chew the bulbs as the yare toxic. It makes a wallpaper paste type glue.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage yours.

twitter:@armleywhite

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Simonm For This Post:

Anchor (20th November 2011)

13. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 times in 423 posts

When the S has hit the F and had some time to dry (i.e. you can't get duck tape any more, and araldite is no longer being produced) I hope at least a few of us will have hardcopies of Henley's Processes, Formulas and Recipes.

14. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Bo Atkinson's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 times in 828 posts

I hate to say it but our times do favor "the shipped wrecked lifestyle".

I'd emphasize re-use of discarded items, especially wire and filaments.

Wrap-around meshes plus glue does add strength. Sometimes caulking or resin or paint, etc.. work as well.
    Last edited by Bo Atkinson; 20th November 2011 at 13:12.

+ Reply to Thread