+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm Under Arrest For WHAT? Fifty Bizarre U.S. Laws

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

Default I'm Under Arrest For WHAT? Fifty Bizarre U.S. Laws

Think for a second we don't live in a "Controllers Gone Wild" mad house???

Check this out.

Seriously

Think of all the time "they" wasted thinking this sh!t up ... and now with NDAA it is all moot. "They" can pick you up off the streets without rhyme or reason, lock you up and throw away the key.

I’m Under Arrest for What? Fifty Bizarre U.S. Laws

By: Annie Tucker Morgan

I’ve never claimed to have extensive knowledge of U.S. legislation throughout history, but it’s safe to say that I and most people I associate with are law-abiding citizens … or not. As it turns out, every state in this country has at least one wacky legal stipulation that could land residents in hot water if they don’t comply. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Alabama
    It’s illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church.

Alaska
    Whispering in someone’s ear while he’s moose hunting is prohibited.

Arizona
    Cutting down a cactus may earn you a twenty-five-year prison term.

Arkansas
    It’s illegal to mispronounce the name of the state of Arkansas.

California
    You may not eat an orange in your bathtub.

Colorado
    It’s unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door neighbor (Denver).

Connecticut
    A pickle cannot actually be a pickle unless it bounces.

Delaware
    It’s illegal to get married on a dare.

Washington, D.C.
    It’s against the law to post a public notice calling someone a coward for refusing to accept a challenge to duel.

Florida
    If you tie an elephant to a parking meter, you must pay the same parking fee as you would for a vehicle.

Georgia
    It’s illegal to change the clothes on a storefront mannequin unless you draw the shades first.

Hawaii
    All residents may be fined for not owning a boat.

Idaho
    A man must not give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing fewer than fifty pounds.

Illinois
    It’s illegal to take a French poodle to the opera (Chicago).

Indiana
    The value of pi is 4, and not 3.1415.

Iowa
    One-armed piano players must perform for free.

Kansas
    It’s illegal to throw knives at men wearing striped suits (Natoma).

Kentucky
    Every citizen is required to take a shower once a year.

Louisiana
    Biting someone with your natural teeth constitutes simple assault, but biting someone with your false teeth classifies as aggravated assault.

Maine
    If you keep your Christmas decorations on display after January 14, you’ll be fined.

Maryland
    It’s against the law to wash or scrub a sink, no matter how dirty it is (Baltimore).

Massachusetts
    No gorilla is allowed in the backseat of any car.

Michigan
    A woman may not cut her own hair without her husband’s permission.

Minnesota
    It’s illegal to paint a sparrow with the intent of selling it as a parakeet (Harper Woods).

Mississippi
    Walking a dog without dressing it in diapers is forbidden (Temperance).

Missouri
    Children may buy shotguns in Kansas City, but not toy cap guns.

Montana
    It’s a felony for a wife to open her husband’s mail.

Nebraska
    Bar owners may not sell beer unless they brew a kettle of soup simultaneously.

Nevada
    It’s illegal for men with mustaches to kiss women.

New Hampshire
    It’s forbidden to sell the clothes you’re wearing to pay off a gambling debt.

New Jersey
    It’s against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.

New Mexico
    Females may not appear unshaven in public.

New York
    While riding in an elevator, you must talk to no one, fold your hands, and look toward the door.

North Carolina
    It’s against the law to sing off-key.

North Dakota
    It’s illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.

Ohio
    You must honk the horn whenever you pass another car, according to the state’s driver’s education manual.

Oklahoma
    It’s forbidden to take a bite out of another person’s hamburger.

Oregon
    State law requires dishes to be drip-dried.

Pennsylvania
    It’s illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors.

Rhode Island
    You may not bite off another person’s leg.

South Carolina
    If a man promises to marry an unmarried woman, he is required by law to keep his promise.

South Dakota
    It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep in a cheese factory.

Tennessee
    Selling hollow logs is strictly forbidden.

Texas
    You may not shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.

Utah
    It is illegal not to drink milk

Vermont
    Women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

Virginia
    Tickling a woman is unlawful.

Washington
    It’s illegal to pretend that one’s parents are wealthy.

West Virginia
    If you make fun of someone who does not accept a challenge, you risk a six-month prison sentence.

Wisconsin
    Unless a customer specifically requests it, margarine may not be substituted for butter in a restaurant.

Wyoming
    Unless you have an official permit, you may not take a picture of a rabbit from January to April.

This Court Is Adjourned
    Whew! With all this legislation, it’s a wonder we’re not all sharing a prison cell right now. Granted, something tells me the Los Angeles Police Department has bigger fish to fry than popping people who dare to eat oranges while bathing, and that most people who saw me catching some shut-eye on top of a fridge in Pennsylvania wouldn’t call the cops on me, but you never know when you might come across that rare whistle-blower who wants you persecuted to the fullest extent of the law, so it’s probably better to be safe than sorry. The next time I tie up my elephant at a parking meter in Florida, I’ll be sure to bring a pocket full of quarters.

Via http://www.divinecaroline.com/22323/...#ixzz1nr4e1iw2

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

aquamarine (1st March 2012), aranuk (1st March 2012), Carmen (1st March 2012), Cidersomerset (1st March 2012), Coaxial (1st March 2012), giovonni (1st March 2012), humanalien (1st March 2012), Kano (1st March 2012), Kristo (1st March 2012), mahalall (1st March 2012), Maia Gabrial (1st March 2012), meeradas (1st March 2012), pugwash84 (1st March 2012), Ria (1st March 2012), Samsara (1st March 2012), SomaSmith (1st March 2012), Tarka the Duck (1st March 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,459 times in 1,312 posts

Default Re: I'm Under Arrest For WHAT? Fifty Bizarre U.S. Laws

What's more weird? Non of those things would be illegal unless someone had complained about them.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to markpierre For This Post:

aquamarine (1st March 2012), Calz (1st March 2012), Cidersomerset (1st March 2012), Coaxial (1st March 2012), giovonni (1st March 2012), Kristo (1st March 2012), Maia Gabrial (1st March 2012), meeradas (1st March 2012), Nathalie (1st March 2012), Realeyes (1st March 2012), Ria (1st March 2012), Tarka the Duck (1st March 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,071 times in 752 posts

The Gestapo troll patrol, can add to this list.
    Along with the Comma,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Commandant troll.
    Vomit Troll
    Cult under every stone Troll
    Last edited by Ria; 1st March 2012 at 10:58.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ria For This Post:

Calz (1st March 2012), Cidersomerset (1st March 2012), giovonni (1st March 2012), ktlight (1st March 2012), Tarka the Duck (1st March 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

This is precious! I do think however, that there are very old laws that haven't been updated. I like to think so, at least. I wonder what is the reason behind all these laws? Why can't one not eat an orange while in the bathtub? Why not knit during fishing season? I guess it's to get up your butt and feed the family... But can't one knit while waiting for the fish to bite? You're making clothes for your loved ones AND working to feed them at the same time...

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nathalie For This Post:

Calz (1st March 2012), Cidersomerset (1st March 2012), Ecnal61 (1st March 2012), giovonni (1st March 2012), Maia Gabrial (1st March 2012), Tarka the Duck (1st March 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    germanic
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,854 times in 3,178 posts

I'm all for the North Carolina thing. [comment: I'd be doin' time myself now...]
    I would only add "using Autotune doesn't count" for being up to date (and to relieve tortured ears around the world).

Great to see such a compilation of practical common sense.

Just kidding.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Nathalie (here)
    Why can't one not eat an orange while in the bathtub?
    Ever seen "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"?
    Wait a sec, this could have been grapefruits...
    Nevermind.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to meeradas For This Post:

Calz (1st March 2012), Cidersomerset (1st March 2012), giovonni (1st March 2012), Open your eyes (1st March 2012), PurpleLama (1st March 2012), Samsara (1st March 2012), Tarka the Duck (1st March 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,400 times in 1,718 posts

How do know if a jet airplane is full of politicians?

Because after you switch off the engines you can still here the whining.

Sorry it's a silly joke but not anymore silly than these laws.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Calz (1st March 2012), Cidersomerset (1st March 2012), giovonni (1st March 2012), Maia Gabrial (1st March 2012), Ria (1st March 2012), Samsara (1st March 2012), Tarka the Duck (1st March 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,071 times in 752 posts

for the hummer value alone

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ria For This Post:

Calz (1st March 2012), Cidersomerset (1st March 2012), giovonni (1st March 2012), Tarka the Duck (1st March 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Stephen Fry talking about American prisons on his satical show QI......very imformative
    slavery thru the back door...Now you may argue they deserve it because they broke the
    law, but theres a thin line between poverty, the work house, & prison for the majority
    of ill educated inmates especially from ethnic communities...Steve..

After the initial quips , the facts are quite shocking ..
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 1st March 2012 at 16:51.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

BMJ (2nd March 2012), Calz (1st March 2012), Carmen (1st March 2012), Ecnal61 (1st March 2012), giovonni (1st March 2012), Maia Gabrial (1st March 2012), Samsara (1st March 2012)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,246 times in 853 posts

Sorry. This is a bit off topic.

I think the NDAA law starts in 2 days (March 3rd). You can
    be arrested for any reason at all. Watch for military patrolling
    the streets....

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to humanalien For This Post:

Calz (1st March 2012), Cidersomerset (1st March 2012), giovonni (1st March 2012), Maia Gabrial (1st March 2012)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Nathalie (here)
    This is precious! I do think however, that there are very old laws that haven't been updated. I like to think so, at least. I wonder what is the reason behind all these laws? Why can't one not eat an orange while in the bathtub? Why not knit during fishing season? I guess it's to get up your butt and feed the family... But can't one knit while waiting for the fish to bite? You're making clothes for your loved ones AND working to feed them at the same time...

Yes absolutely ... all state laws as well.

Let us fast forward to the Fed level and current times when the Congress Critters have evolved dramatically since those olden days shall we???

Senate Approves Bill that Legalizes Sodomy and Bestiality in U.S. Military

By Pete Winn
    December 1, 2011

(CNSNews.com) – (Updated) The Senate on Thursday evening voted 93-7 to approve a defense authorization bill that includes a provision which not only repeals the military law on sodomy, it also repeals the military ban on sex with animals--or bestiality.

On Nov. 15, the Senate Armed Services Committee had unanimously approved S. 1867, the National Defense Authorization Act, which includes a provision to repeal Article 125 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ).

Article 125 of the UCMJ makes it illegal to engage in both sodomy with humans and sex with animals.

It states: "(a) Any person subject to this chapter who engages in unnatural carnal copulation with another person of the same or opposite sex or with an animal is guilty of sodomy. Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete the offense. (b) Any person found guilty of sodomy shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.”

Family Research Council President Tony Perkins said the effort to remove sodomy from military law stems from liberal Senate Democrats' and President Obama’s support for removing the military’s Don’t Ask Don’t Tell policy.

“It’s all about using the military to advance this administration’s radical social agenda,” Perkins told CNSNews.com. “Not only did they overturn Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, but they had another problem, and that is, under military law sodomy is illegal, just as adultery is illegal, so they had to remove that prohibition against sodomy.”

Perkins said removing the bestiality provision may have been intentional--or just “collateral damage”

“Well, whether it was inadvertent or not, they have also taken out the provision against bestiality,” he said. “So now, under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), there’s nothing there to prosecute bestiality."

Former Army Col. Bob Maginnis said some military lawyers have indicated that bestiality may be prosecutable under another section of the military code of justice – the “catch-all” Article 134 for offenses against “good military order and discipline.”

But don't count on that, he said.

“If we have a soldier who engages in sodomy with an animal – whether a government animal or a non-government animal – is it, in fact, a chargeable offense under the Uniform Code? I think that’s in question,” Maginnis told CNSNews.com.

“When the reader stops laughing, the reader needs to ask the question whether or not this is in the best interests of the government, in the best interests of the military and the best interests of the country? I think not.”

He added: “Soldiers, unfortunately, like it or not, have engaged in this type of behavior in the past. Will they in the future, if they remove this statute? I don’t know.”

Perkins said there was no attempt to remove the UCMJ repeal provision from the bill, which Perkins had expected the Senate to approve.

Now that it has passed, however, the Senate version will have to go to a conference committee, and Perkins predicts there will be several sticking points with the House.

“The House in their version of the defense authorization, reinforced the Defense of Marriage Act, saying that there is a military DOMA as well, prohibiting same-sex marriage on military bases – something the Department of Defense is pushing for,” he said.

“And now this is an added concern, that sodomy has been removed, and as we have discovered, that bestiality--the prohibition against it--has been removed from the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So yes, the House will have problems with this bill.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/sena...ty-us-military
    Last edited by Calz; 1st March 2012 at 17:10.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

Cidersomerset (1st March 2012), giovonni (1st March 2012), Kristo (1st March 2012), Ria (1st March 2012)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Calz (1st March 2012), Ecnal61 (1st March 2012), giovonni (1st March 2012), Maia Gabrial (1st March 2012), Nathalie (1st March 2012), Ria (1st March 2012), Samsara (1st March 2012)

23. Link to Post #12
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Smile Re: I'm Under Arrest For WHAT? Fifty Bizarre U.S. Laws

Virginia
    "Tickling a woman is unlawful."

OH Yeah... been there - done that ...

Maryland
    "It’s against the law to wash or scrub a sink, no matter how dirty it is (Baltimore). "

And yes ~ i am a wanted man there - this why i had to come out west.

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by giovonni (here)
    Virginia
    "Tickling a woman is unlawful."

OH Yeah... been there - done that ...

Maryland
    "It’s against the law to wash or scrub a sink, no matter how dirty it is (Baltimore). "

And yes ~ i am a wanted man there - this why i had to come out west.

Careful what you admit to ... there are spies amongst us

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by humanalien (here)
    Sorry. This is a bit off topic.

I think the NDAA law starts in 2 days (March 3rd). You can
    be arrested for any reason at all. Watch for military patrolling
    the streets....
    Sadly ... it is spot on target

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

Cidersomerset (1st March 2012), Ecnal61 (1st March 2012), giovonni (1st March 2012), Maia Gabrial (1st March 2012), Samsara (1st March 2012)

26. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,362 times in 274 posts

[QUOTE=giovonni;439786][B]

Maryland

Hmmmm, With my disdain for housework I'm good there. If that extends to the rest of the house I may be moving to the east coast! Lol

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kristo For This Post:

Calz (1st March 2012), Cidersomerset (1st March 2012), Ecnal61 (1st March 2012), giovonni (1st March 2012), Maia Gabrial (1st March 2012), Samsara (1st March 2012)

28. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,791 times in 463 posts

I heard in England, a taxi must carry a bail of hay.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pugwash84 For This Post:

Calz (1st March 2012), Cidersomerset (1st March 2012), Kristo (1st March 2012), Maia Gabrial (1st March 2012), Nathalie (1st March 2012), Samsara (1st March 2012)

30. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

It gets better (worse?).

Check out this site ... and pick a state ... unbelievable!!!

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

Kristo (1st March 2012), Samsara (1st March 2012)

32. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,557 times in 20,694 posts

It is stated in the video that in the US, three misdemeanors result in an automatic life term in prison.
    Is this true?
    That really IS shocking, if so.
    Quote Posted by Cidersomerset (here)
    Stephen Fry talking about American prisons on his satical show QI......very imformative
    slavery thru the back door...Now you may argue they deserve it because they broke the
    law, but theres a thin line between poverty, the work house, & prison for the majority

Each breath a gift...

33. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    It is stated in the video that in the US, three misdemeanors result in an automatic life term in prison.
    Is this true?
    That really IS shocking, if so.

Well there was some "three strikes and you're out" nuggetry but I thought that was on a state level (California comes to mind but am shooting from the hip).

Not to belabor the point ... with the new NDAA and other draconian laws newly implemented ... it seems "law" and "justice" are passing into history???

... or at least are attempting to be ... white hats and ETS aside???

34. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Calz_Avaretard (here)
    It gets better (worse?).

Check out this site ... and pick a state ... unbelievable!!!

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states
    It's perfect! I haven't laughed this hard on this forum!! I will climb up the Sacré-Coeur's steps on my knees for you, I'm so grateful!!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Nathalie For This Post:

Calz (1st March 2012)

36. Link to Post #20
    New Zealand Avalon Member Carmen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,527 times in 1,560 posts

My god! Those facts are extraordinary! The land of the Free! What a joke!

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carmen For This Post:

Calz (1st March 2012), onawah (1st March 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast