+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Computers to translate world's 'lost' languages after program deciphers ancient text

1. Link to Post #1
    New Zealand Avalon Member Studeo's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Computers to translate world's 'lost' languages after program deciphers ancient text

Computers to translate world's 'lost' languages after program deciphers ancient text

By Niall Firth

Last updated at 4:15 PM on 20th July 2010
    Scientists have used a computer program to decipher a written language that is more than three thousand years old.
    The program automatically translated the ancient written language of Ugaritic within just a few hours.

Scientists hope the breakthrough could help them decipher the few ancient languages that they have been unable to translate so far.

Ugaritic was last used around 1200 B.C. in western Syria and consists of dots on clay tablets. It was first discovered in 1920 but was not deciphered until 1932....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz0uG51X2mT
    Destiny comes to those who listen and fate finds the rest. So learn what you can learn. Do what you can do and never give up hope! Marshall's Motto. Peace to all.

2. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 times in 687 posts

Default Re: Computers to translate world's 'lost' languages after program deciphers ancient t

Now we'll soon read their daily correspondence. I remember reading a book on Hittite cuneiform tablets. One went something like, "I delivered a wagon of hay to you two weeks ago. When are you going to pay me?" Another was from a slave girl that read, "Master, you got me pregnant and then threw me out of your house. How am I going to care for our child?" I wouldn't be surprised if the Ugaritic stuff said the same things. Language, culture, religions may change, but human problems remain the same.

3. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Default Re: Computers to translate world's 'lost' languages after program deciphers ancient t

Quote Posted by Lost Soul (here)
    Now we'll soon read their daily correspondence. I remember reading a book on Hittite cuneiform tablets. One went something like, "I delivered a wagon of hay to you two weeks ago. When are you going to pay me?" Another was from a slave girl that read, "Master, you got me pregnant and then threw me out of your house. How am I going to care for our child?" I wouldn't be surprised if the Ugaritic stuff said the same things. Language, culture, religions may change, but human problems remain the same.
    Ha! Thanks for that. Nothing like a bit of reality ancient text to spice things up
    Destiny comes to those who listen and fate finds the rest. So learn what you can learn. Do what you can do and never give up hope! Marshall's Motto. Peace to all.

4. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 times in 328 posts

Is there a source anywhere explaining how the computer did the translation,i mean what kind of software was used and who designed it?I just don't understand how can a computer translate an ancient language?Based on what information?You gotta have something to be the base source,of being able to translate such ancient texts right?

5. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Arpheus (here)
    Is there a source anywhere explaining how the computer did the translation,i mean what kind of software was used and who designed it?I just don't understand how can a computer translate an ancient language?Based on what information?You gotta have something to be the base source,of being able to translate such ancient texts right?
    I think it compares known language and dialects and takes a guess?

6. Link to Post #6
    France Avalon Member Elandiel BernElve's Avatar
    Thanks

It just reads all the info and using difficult alghorithmic processing it looks for structure, compares it with known languages and compiles the ancient language.
    Capitaine Elandiel BernElve
    Lightwarrior

+ Reply to Thread